shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies in Washington DC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

timmy!

Rough_Rock
widget you''re all over this board arent you?

I''m not sure what to tell. It''s not mine it''s being held for me. It looks lovely in this picture. I have another that views the stone from the back and it''s less vivid. I guess thats tone? It looks a bit more clear than other stones I have seen. Heres a picture of the one thats smaller and a lot more pricey. But the color is pretty crazy

P8249209.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
I sure looks nice to me...

Since you say it''s perfect in every way, I presume the slightly blurry look of the center isn''t a window, and doesn''t look that way in real life?

I actually like rubies that are a little lighter. I have a beautiful dark mounted Thai ruby, that is spectacular in certain lighting conditions, but it can look a bit too dark at other times.

From the picture, that stone looks VERY lively and sparkly!
18.gif

I think that prices on colored stones can be all over the map, and I wouldn''t worry about it. $4000/ct is still a lot of money, and I''d want a lab report (from a respected lab) to go with that stone.

Where did you find this?

widget

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 9:02:28 AM
Author: timmy!
widget you're all over this board arent you?
LOL...well I am this morning...especially when it comes to someone shopping for a good ruby!!!

Our posts seem to be crossing eachother in cyberspace...

Do I gather correctly that you haven't seen these stones in person?

It is SO TRICKY judging stones from pictures. You really have to trust the opinions of the vendor, who hopefully is one who is known and trustworthy....and of course has a good return policy!

That second stone looks utterly stunning, but it sounds like the price might be pretty scary.
1.gif

BTW...I'm strictly an enthusiastic amateur. Hopefully other more expert opinions will be heard soon regarding these two stones..

widget

timmy!

Rough_Rock
I''ve seen the most expensive one in person and not the least expensive one. The more expensive one has been shown to me by two different dealers at two different prices.

Whats a window? I don''t see it?

timmy!

Rough_Rock
Hey the same ruby is on Cherry picked. Here''s another picture of it

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1898

still dont know about the whole window thing Widget noticed.

--it''s quiet here this afternoon.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I found this discussion by doing a search for ''window'':

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-a-window-in-colored-stones.38217/=

There''s probably a lot more on on this subject...but I stopped looking there.

I checked the cherrypicked picture you mentioned. I noticed that it is marked ''sold'', probably to your dealer! LOL. Since Richard gave it a 4.2 score for cut (their own ''cherryscore system'') it seems highly unlikely that this stone has a window problem. (See? I told you you were talking to an amateur!)

I think it''s funny you''ve seen the other more expensive stone twice, too, from two different dealers! Proof of just how rare these fine, top-o-the-line rubies are!!!

For fun, I''m posting the same 1.57 ruby...on the left CP''s picture, right: the one you got from your dealer. The difference in color is further evidence that one must really see these babies using eyeballs.

If it were me, I go for the 1.57....and return it if it didn''t ''speak'' to me...

widget

U-8hy6tched-02.jpg

timmy!

Rough_Rock
Well you guys are just no fun anymore.

Since I didnt hear anything else I pulled the trigger. I''m having the one pictures twice in widgets post shipped and have 2 weeks to cuddle with it and see if I get warm fuzzies. I''m hoping some of the jewelers in the area will also have a ruby or two for me to look at and then I''ll be able to compare.

As always feedback is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results