shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
How is your Dad coping with the covid related restrictions?
Is his health good Yelena ?

Thanks for asking @Daisys and Diamonds he is thankfully doing pretty well. He can walk unassisted still, even though he walks very slowly and not with the same flexibility of movement as someone who is younger, but it’s still pretty good given his age. His general health is pretty good too. The only thing is that he does have a bit of dementia, but again, thankfully not too bad. I can’t send him up to the shops by himself with a shopping list, but his long term memory is still pretty good. Covid’s impact has been that Dad never goes to the shops anymore which isn’t a huge loss to him. He was a bit restricted initially, but it’s pretty good here with very low/no cases so we all feel less stressed at the moment. We get some ‘in-home’ care which is mostly used for social support, so he has an older gentleman come to visit every day to chat and take him for a bit of a walk and assist in a few other ways. His care support worker was also in an at risk category for Covid himself so he limited his work to just our household, so thankfully it has all worked out very well so far. My aim is for him to either die at home or in hospital, not in a nursing home.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
With the release of the 4th season of The Crown closer and closer, a new behind the scenes video has been shared by Netflix.

Apart from the actors and creators' own thoughts, we get to see a few glimpses of what's to come and that also means some of the jewels we'll enjoy, particularly those of the new characters - Lady Diana and Margaret Thatcher. Seems like we'll also experience the decline of tiara events, as none of the teasers have shown a good display of tiaras and grand jewels that we were so accustomed to in the previous seasons.

I'm sure many have read how Lady Diana was invited at the palace to select an engagement ring and how she picked up the largest one. The Crown is reviving this scene for us:
rings.PNG

@Daisys and Diamonds mentioned the Prince of Wales' signet ring earlier and we get a view of it on the show, as well as a diamond bracelet for Diana:
signet.PNG

Other jeweler ''highlights'' are a lovely pearl choker for Camilla Parker-Bowles (as she was then) and Margaret Thatcher's iconic pearls and button earrings (and the ring with a large cabochon):
1605261777103.png

I am very much looking forward to watching it. I won’t have much time in the evenings for Pricescope when it becomes available, so if anyone notices my absence, you will all know what I am doing... I am watching “The Crown”.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking @Daisys and Diamonds he is thankfully doing pretty well. He can walk unassisted still, even though he walks very slowly and not with the same flexibility of movement as someone who is younger, but it’s still pretty good given his age. His general health is pretty good too. The only thing is that he does have a bit of dementia, but again, thankfully not too bad. I can’t send him up to the shops by himself with a shopping list, but his long term memory is still pretty good. Covid’s impact has been that Dad never goes to the shops anymore which isn’t a huge loss to him. He was a bit restricted initially, but it’s pretty good here with very low/no cases so we all feel less stressed at the moment. We get some ‘in-home’ care which is mostly used for social support, so he has an older gentleman come to visit every day to chat and take him for a bit of a walk and assist in a few other ways. His care support worker was also in an at risk category for Covid himself so he limited his work to just our household, so thankfully it has all worked out very well so far. My aim is for him to either die at home or in hospital, not in a nursing home.

I do not know your father's actual age, Yelena. After reading this posting, I went back and tried to catch up on all the other ones you wrote about his current life and health. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

My father, also lived a long life. He died at age 96, almost making it to his 97th birthday. While he was extremely fit and drove and used the YMCA pool seven days a week through about age 95, he went downhill the last years. We had to have a live-in aid and he suffered, being unable to walk, by the end. He did not have a terminal illness and we did call in hospice, so his passing was at home and not painful. He was really very lucky although my brother and I hated to see him fail because that is human.

I wish you a lot of luck.

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Im so glad your dad has that social suppprt
it seems especiallu important with dementia - to slow it down
My FIL was doing ok till his by other and then his golfing partner died
Continued best wishes for your Dad's health and also the support worker

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Queen Maxima visiting i think sn ages care facility
I would love to see a real close up of that brooch
35641514-8946393-image-m-34_1605278132393.jpg w 35641522-8946393-image-m-36_1605278234057.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
In other news...
The latest addition to my tiara collection arrived yesterday! This time I went for a tiara that would fill in a gap in the collection - Belle Époque. Because I'm really partial to the gentle swirls of the Khedive, the history behind the piece and Cartier (allegedly), I decided to go for the tiara that has adorned the heads of all of Queen Ingrid's daughters and granddaughters on their wedding days.

This brings the collection to the magical number 7 and I think I won't be adding anything new for some time...

124331880_383833912819436_9025431328101111524_n.jpg

LOVE THIS!!!!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

What is you preferred tiara replica source? Post pictures of the other 6!!!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LOVE THIS!!!!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

What is you preferred tiara replica source? Post pictures of the other 6!!!

Thank you, m'lady!

I shop at Aliexpress. You can't even imagine the variety and number of choices there when it comes to tiaras! Some I've later spotted at different sites, like Etsy, but the price tag can't be compared. Of course, you have to be very patient in searching for the right tiara. There are replicas of varying quality and the price would fluctuate from vendor to vendor.

I believe I've posted pictures of some of the collection in the Tiaras thread. In no particular order they are:
A fringe, since you can never go wrong with a classic
Lady Mary's wedding tiara (Downton Abbey), for a collection is not complete without a floral/wreath tiara
A 1950's Chaumet in pearls and diamonds (I made that myself for a bit of fun)
The Bavarian pearl spike tiara (another one I made myself)
A pearl kokoshnik inspired by the one from the Russian Crown Jewels and later part of Imelda Marcos' collection. You just need a pearl drop tiara and the craftsmanship is superb!
The Greville Emerald Kokoshnik for a bit of colour (and I do love my emeralds!)

I've estimated that the collection spans across ~130 years from 1820 to the mid 20th century displaying the evolution of tiara design over the years.

I need to take new pics, but can't promise when.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I'll start with the DIY tiara, inspired by The Bavarian pearl spike tiara
What we know about the original is that it was a much larger tiara at the start. The trellis was topped by a large floral ornament and the whole was a bit of a Frankenstein tiara. It was sold in the 1930s, but then the lower portion entered the family again by the 1950s, this time topped by pear-shaped pearls. unfortunately, Duchess Elizabeth opts for other tiaras and this one has only been worn once or twice.

The lack of good photos make is hard to assess how successful the replica is and tbh I'm not that happy with the final result. Some of the stones aren't aligned and you can see some glue here and there. Overall a lovely tiara to wear and a fun project to work on.

Bavarian.jpg

(Not me)
1605882955305.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The wreath is very charming, but a bit hard to wear unless you're planning on coping Lady Mary and wearing it on the forehead or as a headband. Despite that the pave setting is lovely and it sparkles a lot when worn! It's also very light and goes well for a more understated look.

1605883841178.png Wreath_Front.jpg Wreath_Side_BW.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I was surprised how fast after Princess Eugenie's wedding the manufacturers in Asia were able to create a good replica of the Greville emerald kokoshnik! This is at least the third version available and the one closest to the real thing.
It's got a very nice shape and is the tiara with the largest impact when worn. All those stones glimmer and shine a lot even when the tiara stays in the display cabinet. Negative side - it's heavy (but so is the original).

Emerald_Kokoshnik.jpg
Emerald_Kokoshnik 2.jpg

(again not me)
1605884496972.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Fringe! This isn't a replica of a particular tiara, since there are literally hundreds of fringes out there. I was very particular about what I wanted it to look and I'm happy with what I got, since I've always had a soft spot for the design.
I believe this is the cheapest of the lot and this shows is the execution. But then, it's supposed to be a mid-19 century design, when diamond cutting and setting were far from the perfection we're used to nowadays. In terms of size, it's resembles more Princess Mary's fringe than her mother's 1919 tiara.
Rather light and very easy to wear! Also suits a variety of head shapes and can be worn with different various styles and hairdos.

Fringe_Front.jpg
Fringe_Side.jpg

Last edited:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The pearl kokoshnik - Divine from afar, divine up close!

Together with the Khedive, this one has the best craftsmanship. The koko is also the only tiara to have a base, so it doesn't get lost in your hair. I've added a black elastic band so that the metal base isn't visible when worn and it stays more secure on the head. Only flow - it's a bit on the short side.

The original was created in the first half of the 19th century for Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (no, not the one with Rasputin that was killed) and was a favourite of Empress Maria, who kept it in her private apartments. After the revolution, the tiara find a new home in Blenheim Palace, UK. There it was worn by Gladys, Duchess of Marlborough for what is probably one of the fist selfies way before they were cool and when tiaras were still the norm for formal evening wear. At some point (possibly after the death of Gladys) the tiara came into the possession of none other than Imelda Marcos! Poor thing, it has suffered a lot over the years being taken from one place to another and staying locked up for most of its life... Indeed, the condition of the tiara, now with the authorities in Manila is far from great. Hopefully, when they do auction off the collection, the tiara will find a better home :)

Pearl kokoshnik.jpg Pearl_Kokoshnik_Side.jpg

The original
1605885881003.png

HG the Duchess of Marlborough
1605886460483.png

A later copy now in the State Diamond Fund, Moscow
1605885923791.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew that LadyMaria made her own tiaras, but I was pretty unaware of the huge world of tiara replica production that exists. Prince, your postings about this phenomenon have been elucidating to me.

It didn't seem strange to me that you or LadyMaria, true gem experts, could find a tiara somewhere. That sites actually produce tiaras for the masses I find shocking, however.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I knew that LadyMaria made her own tiaras, but I was pretty unaware of the huge world of tiara replica production that exists. Prince, your postings about this phenomenon have been elucidating to me.

It didn't seem strange to me that you or LadyMaria, true gem experts, could find a tiara somewhere. That sites actually produce tiaras for the masses I find shocking, however.

Oh no...I do not make my own tiaras...I just buy the ones I think are pretty and wear them with ball gowns!

Tiaratown is another fun replica source. They have the best emerald Duchess D'Angouleme replica I've seen. I think their Spencer replica is better than the one on The Crown! One thing I am starting to get a little picky about is that I prefer tiaras without hair combs. It is so much easier to do good tiara hair when you don't have to work around combs.

December 10 is Nobel Prize Day. I know they are doing a very scaled down version of the ceremony. I hope we get to see at least one tiara that day. I may have to use that as an excuse to wear one to school...

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The pearl kokoshnik - Divine from afar, divine up close!

Together with the Khedive, this one has the best craftsmanship. The koko is also the only tiara to have a base, so it doesn't get lost in your hair. I've added a black elastic band so that the metal base isn't visible when worn and it stays more secure on the head. Only flow - it's a bit on the short side.

The original was created in the first half of the 19th century for Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (no, not the one with Rasputin that was killed) and was a favourite of Empress Maria, who kept it in her private apartments. After the revolution, the tiara find a new home in Blenheim Palace, UK. There it was worn by Gladys, Duchess of Marlborough for what is probably one of the fist selfies way before they were cool and when tiaras were still the norm for formal evening wear. At some point (possibly after the death of Gladys) the tiara came into the possession of none other than Imelda Marcos! Poor thing, it has suffered a lot over the years being taken from one place to another and staying locked up for most of its life... Indeed, the condition of the tiara, now with the authorities in Manila is far from great. Hopefully, when they do auction off the collection, the tiara will find a better home :)

Pearl kokoshnik.jpg Pearl_Kokoshnik_Side.jpg

The original

I love that you have a velvet wrap on the base! I have yet to get a tiara that would allow me to do that...someday I will...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everdently Queen Mary was taller than the king so we don't see many picutures of Mary standing up with him
36396380-9013371-image-a-85_1606994942529.jpg
With Elizabeth 2020-1205-01-thistle01.png
with Margaret 1218777_1024x1024.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Australian leg coronation tour 1954
are her pearls shorter these days ?
i wonder who restrings them for her - the royal jewler or maybe even a skill Angela Kelly has picked up ?
i like the matching brooches on the corners of the neck of her dress
queen-news-prince-philip-australia-latest-2791106.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Australian leg coronation tour 1954
are her pearls shorter these days ?
i wonder who restrings them for her - the royal jewler or maybe even a skill Angela Kelly has picked up ?
i like the matching brooches on the corners of the neck of her dress
queen-news-prince-philip-australia-latest-2791106.jpg

That's a double brooch, as in a brooch that is made of two usually mirrored halves, for them to be worn on each side of the neckline like this one, very popular in the 40s and 50s I believe.

They have gone out of fashion due to changes in fashion taste, as this kind of necklace is seldom seen nowadays.

I collect images of double brooches for a while as I love them, and am always excited to see the in fine antique jewellery shops and in auctions.

I would love a double brooch and would go as far as having a dress made with a square sweetheart neckline so that I could wear the two halves split on each side.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a double brooch, as in a brooch that is made of two usually mirrored halves, for them to be worn on each side of the neckline like this one, very popular in the 40s and 50s I believe.

They have gone out of fashion due to changes in fashion taste, as this kind of necklace is seldom seen nowadays.

I collect images of double brooches for a while as I love them, and am always excited to see the in fine antique jewellery shops and in auctions.

I would love a double brooch and would go as far as having a dress made with a square sweetheart neckline so that I could wear the two halves split on each side.

DK :))

well thank you DK
i quite like that look

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure many have read how Lady Diana was invited at the palace to select an engagement ring and how she picked up the largest one.
rings.PNG

I read she chose her ring because it reminded her of her mother’s engagement ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results