shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am reading up on King Ludwig II of Bavaria. He is a favorite of mine and I found this great photo of him that shows off his flare (hence his name the Swan King.) It looks like his hat has pearls on it and a large brooch. So lovely.

This is Empress Sisi of Austria's Cousin and some thought they were an item. It reality the King was gay. Plus both had phobias of being touched so that was never going to happen for several reasons.
ludwig-bavaria.jpg

So interesting. Thank you, Vesper.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way back in this thread there was a discussion on a special type of royal jewels, the various Orders that monarchies bestow. They often come with jeweled collars and badges. Don't ask me what page it is on though...

Along these lines, there was a presentation of one of these orders recently. Leonore, Princess of Austurias, received the Order of the Golden Fleece from her father, King Felipe. I thought this was a very sweet ceremony!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5329709/Princess-Leonor-receives-Order-Golden-Fleece.html

I, also, found the ceremony beautiful, LadyMaria. I would have missed it had you not posted a link. Thank you for alerting me to it!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article on tiaras that Meghan Markle might wear for her wedding to Prince Harry seems better than most. I am not sure it is entirely accurate, but at least it acknowledges that The Spencer Tiara belongs to The Spencer Family not to The Royal Family as some articles have claimed.

http://time.com/5237031/meghan-markle-tiara/

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have thought that she would design her own tiara using royal family diamonds or re-purpose another rarely used tiara from the royal family. It would remain the property of the Royal family. I doubt that the Queen will gift her a tiara; rather it would be hers but on loan so to speak. She has enough money to design her own and pay for it. Thus she can keep it in case of divorce.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CC72CFAE-137B-47D8-9728-91E968800554.jpeg

While we wait for the May 19th wedding...

Kate has gotten a lot of criticism in this thread for not busting out the larger jewels—but she has worn many at events in recent years! We should update the thread with some of her larger pieces she’s worn!

Emeralds that were reported to be wedding presents—and she also gets criticized for wearing her hair down, but I think she looks gorgeous. :appl:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No that is one incredible set of jewels! I think she can wear her hair anyway she wants. She has always been tastefully styled.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
I have thought that she would design her own tiara using royal family diamonds or re-purpose another rarely used tiara from the royal family. It would remain the property of the Royal family. I doubt that the Queen will gift her a tiara; rather it would be hers but on loan so to speak. She has enough money to design her own and pay for it. Thus she can keep it in case of divorce.

I respectfully disagree. I think it would be nice if she got a proper tiara of her own that does not belong to the royal family. Sarah and Sophie each were gifted non heirloom pieces for the occasion of their weddings. They married the Queen’s sons not grandson but still. Without a tiara Meghan will always depend on the generosity of someone higher up in the pecking order. But time will tell.

Cabochon

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Meghan purchases her own tiara-diamonds and all, that tiara would remain with her always even in case of divorce. She could also pass it down to her children. Just like Diana's family tiara, Diana could wear that at any time -and not have to get royal approval to wear other tiaras loaned to her by the royal family. In regard to Sarah's wedding tiara, other than Sarah's girls, no one may want to wear her tiara as it may be perceived as bad luck. Sophie's tiara can be worn by her daughter. Probably Kate's daughter will wear the Cartier tiara for her wedding if she so chooses. I agree that Megan should wear a tiara if she wants. It is up to the Queen if she wants to gift a tiara to her grandson's bride. It is up to the Queen if she will allow Meghan to alter a gifted tiara too. It will be interesting to see what she will wear!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She will not make her own tiara. It would be unheard of.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Why would that stop her now?
Seriously- she will likely have her mother walk her down the aisle. She is a divorced African American woman who was a successful working (but not gifted) actress before she became engaged to Harry.
She isn't exactly traditional.

HRHSPC

Rough_Rock
It is not unheard of. Sophia, Contess of Wessex's wedding tiara was made from pieces that the royal family had in the vault. I expect that Ms. Markle will receive a tiara as a wedding gift as she will need it for future royal events.

HRHSPC

Rough_Rock
CC72CFAE-137B-47D8-9728-91E968800554.jpeg

While we wait for the May 19th wedding...

Kate has gotten a lot of criticism in this thread for not busting out the larger jewels—but she has worn many at events in recent years! We should update the thread with some of her larger pieces she’s worn!

Emeralds that were reported to be wedding presents—and she also gets criticized for wearing her hair down, but I think she looks gorgeous. :appl:

I am so please that Duchess Catherine is bringing out some big pieces. I think that it has taken awhile because the royal family is very congnizant of the economic condition in the UK and tries not to flaunt their wealth. Additionally, as the wife of the heir to the heir, she has to be careful not to outshine those in higher positions.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
Why would that stop her now?
Seriously- she will likely have her mother walk her down the aisle. She is a divorced African American woman who was a successful working (but not gifted) actress before she became engaged to Harry.
She isn't exactly traditional.

I don't know whether her mother will walk her down the aisle but it doesn't seem that that is her choice, she asked her father to do that and he is apparently not coming now. What can she do?

Queen Victoria accompanied four of her daughters down the aisle because Prince Albert had passed away by the time they married. If that was an acceptable choice over a hundred years ago, why not today?

As far as tradition in royal houses goes, I think those times are gone;)2 Only one of the Queen's children is not divorced.

Sophia the Queen of Spain is divorced and a former war correspondent and TV news anchor.

Victoria, the crown princess of Sweden is married to her former fitness trainer.

The crown princess of Norway was formerly a single mum with a drug "infested" past.

A younger son of then Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands married the former partner of a drug baron. Because of this, parliament refused to consent to the marriage and the prince gave up his place of succession. They married and she wore a family tiara.

Princess Sophia of Sweden (who was paid for photos in a bikini bottom and a boa constrictor instead of a top, as well as being a reality tv star) was given a wedding tiara which I posted about a while ago, after it had been modified. I have just discovered that it can be worn in yet another way. diamond.jpg pearls.jpg
The first one on the left is the old shape as she wore it for her wedding. I like the pearls best, but diamond only isn't bad either.

With the exception of Prince Daniel they all wore tiaras from the royal family they married into. That also makes sense. It is the one occasion when you require one, at least in royal circles. So they will give you one. If you refuse the offer for other reasons than an old tiara from your own family, you might not be offered a second chance.

I am hoping Meghan will play her role as princess joyfully and that she will wear the jewels she is given (or loaned) with enthusiasm.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any bets on which tiara may be loaded to MM this Saturday?
My bet is on the Lotus that used to belong to Princess Margaret.
The Duchess of Cambridge had been seen wearing it when her loaned Halo tiara that used to belong to QE the QM was on loan as part of the Cartier exhibition in Paris.
The exhibition was a bling feast to my eyes.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not unheard of. Sophia, Contess of Wessex's wedding tiara was made from pieces that the royal family had in the vault. I expect that Ms. Markle will receive a tiara as a wedding gift as she will need it for future royal events.
That is not the same as "making her own" as in commissioning and paying for it by Sophie herself!
MM is likely to be loaned a tiara rather than gifted, as in long term loan, like the Duchesses of Cornwall and Cambridge before her.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I suspect it might have happened in the past, when wealthy transatlantic brides married gentlemen rich in family history and titled, yet poor.

They might have commissioned and paid for their own wedding tiaras and other jewellery pieces befit of their new status.

I am sure I have read something about this in Order of., however I could be wrong.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Duchess of Cambridge was not given a tiara on her wedding day as was The Duchess of York or The Countess of Wessex (both of whom married sons of the reigning monarch) because she will one day be Queen and will have access to all the tiaras in the royal vault. The Princess of Wales, who had access to her family's tiaras was also expected to be Queen, as The Duchess of Cambridge is now. (Although she wore The Spencer Tiara at her wedding, her family also has another tiara she could have worn. She could, naturally, also have worn one of the tiaras belonging to The Royal Family had she chosen to borrow one-that was not in use by another royal lady-from the Queen.)

It is likely that Meghan Markle will either borrow one of the tiaras from the Queen or be given a tiara. There has been some speculation that that Prince of Wales might give her a tiara since she is marrying his younger son. The wife of his older son, who will one day be Queen, will not need one.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be noted that when one is a member of The Royal Family one often has a choice of which tiara to wear. Only tiaras preferred by the Queen or "in use" by other members of The Royal Family who have chosen to use them long term are usually unavailable if The Queen wishes to lend them for a special occasion. The Princess Royal, who has several tiaras of her own, opted to wear The Fringe Tiara for her first wedding, to Captain Mark Phillips.

AGBF

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not, actually, jewelry related; it is, however, timely. The Prince of Wales will walk Meghan Markle down the aisle when she marries his son, Prince Andrew.

From "The New York Times"...https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/world/europe/meghan-markle-wedding-prince-charles.html

AGBF
You beat me to it!

So pleased that she asked the POW and that he accepted.

Kind of unconventional, however the whole thing is unconventional.

Wishing the happy couple much happiness in future.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s late here and I’ve set the alarm so that I can wake up early with my 14-year-old to watch the wedding! I’m hoping against hope that Meghan will be wearing the Cartier bracelet tiara from the Queen Mother’s collection. :wavey: We shall see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results