shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

estelaris

Rough_Rock
Crown Princess Victoria looks amazing here... I can''t wait to see her on her wedding day next year!

princesa-victoria-6a.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 5:14:24 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 5/2/2009 12:38:50 AM

Author: Imdanny

The scepter with the Cullinan I. I was lucky to see this IRL and it was memorable. I wish I could have had more time to look at it (you kind of have to keep walking) and I would like to have seen it up close.
1.gif
I saw it too; it simply is amazing
30.gif
3.gif

It''s the most incredible thing I''ve seen. I still remember all the colors flashing from different areas inside it. You have to see it to believe it! Everyone should go there and see it!
9.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have the stats on Diana''s sapphire ER?

Lori

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
The Arcots

"The Hanoverian rulers of Great Britain amassed a large collection of personal jewelry and Queen Charlotte, the consort of King George III, was surely no excpetion. She received many jewels, the most notable being the diamonds she was given by the Nawab of Arcot. These included five brilliants, the larest of which was a 38.6-carat oval-shaped stone and was later set in a necklace with the two smallest stones.

Arcot, a town near Madras, became famous for its capture and defense by Clive in 1751 during the war between the rival claimants to the throne of the Carnatic. In 1801 it passed into British hands following the resignation of the government of Nawab Azim-Ud-Daula, who had given the diamonds to Queen Charlotte in 1777.

The Queen died in 1818 and under the terms of her will the Arcots were ordered to be sold to Rundell & Bridge who in 1804 had been appointed jewelers and silversmiths to the Crown by King George III. The claus about her "Personals" read:

"...of chief value being the jewels. First those which the King bought for £50,000 and gave to me. Secondly those presented to me by the Nawab of Arcot to my four remaining daughters, or to the survivors or survivor in case they or any of them should die before me, and I direct that these jewels should be sold and that the produce...shall be divided among them, my said remaining daughters or their survivors, share and share alike."

However, a delay resulted in the implementing of the Queen''s will. This was the result of the attitude taken by her eldest son, George IV, who upon the death of his father George III in 1820, decided that the whole of his father''s property should pass to himself, not upon the Crown. Consequently he appropriated the money and the jewels and acted in a similar manner with reguard to his mother''s jewelry. The Arcots were set in a crown for George IV and later in the crown of Queen Adelaide, the consort of his successor, William IV."

http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/arcotsdiamonds.html

arcotsdiamonddds.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall arives at Royal Albert Hall on May 14, 2009 to attends the Classical Brit Awards. HRH presented The Lifetime Achievement in Music Award to Jose Carreras.
For the occasion Camilla choose to wear an aquamarine and diamond necklace probably a gift from The PoW. Do you think that this is another of the Keppel jewels bought by Prince Chares or is a newly created one?

Camillaaquanecklace.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It is a pity that the Arcot Diamonds are now separated. IMO they''d look very nice suspended on a simple diamond necklace.

BTW what happened to Sithathoriunet? Why isn''t she posting? I really miss her posts.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I miss Jenna''s posts too. Jenna took so much time to make contributions to this thread and posted so many great contributions.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 3:24:14 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
It is a pity that the Arcot Diamonds are now separated.

That''s truly awful.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/17/2009 2:25:35 AM

I miss Jenna's posts too. Jenna took so much time to make contributions to this thread and posted so many great contributions.

Indeed. Sometimes people just need a break. I hope that she will return.

AGBF
34.gif

goldandjewels

Rough_Rock
Hello All!
and greetings! i have been reading this thread for some time now, it takes a while..and i just wanted to say, i finally got here, caught up. my profession is gemologist and metal smith and seeing this info on the amazing princess diana's ring surprises me.

the diana sapphire ring(s) specs (or at least close)
18 kt white gold ring
with 7-9 carat prong set sapphire (probably sri lankan origin)
and 14 surround diamonds at probably .25 to .45 carats each.

the rumors abound with this ring's apparent size and they seem to continue on and on..now, i saw on this thread, page 59..i checked just now, that jenna-sithathoriunet, put in a great little article on the ring's myth, people believe it to be 18 carats..it is not..an 18 carat sapphire would dwarf her ring. it would simply be HUGE. yes, the ring was 18 karats, 18 karat white GOLD that is. the sapphire however was a max of 7 to 9 carats. and i mean max. there were also 2 rings, as jenna pointed out. one from garrards..the first one, $45,000 pounds,(garrard's christmas catalogue) the second made shortly thereafter to make it a special order for her. politics.
jenna also posted some photos of a sapphire ring she has for comparison to size, page 60??..and they are a good example, also posted was a link to youtube where there is a video of diana's 'life in jewels'..the first part, video 1 has a live shot of her with her first ring, the one used from garrards, very telling as to how small it really is..go watch it to see for yourself..the link was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8yZ0v4n824
the great view of her e ring comes at 3 minutes 6 seconds.
then there is a fantastic little study in photos jenna did on page 76..of the 2 rings diana had. once the second one was made, the first was never seen again.
hope all that helps. over and out for now...farewell everyone out there!

lllllesse-diana-2366041.jpg

goldandjewels

Rough_Rock
so, diana ring 1 from garrard''s christmas catalogue....

rinffffffffffffgdi1.jpg

goldandjewels

Rough_Rock
and diana ring 2 the remake. these pictures were posted by jenna much earlier.

drrrrrrrrrrriringh3.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, goldandjewels! Thank you!

goldandjewels

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:27:44 PM
Welcome, goldandjewels! Thank you!
thanks! i''m glad to be of help any way i can...gemology has been my life for a long while.:)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the picture below among a trove of pictures of Prince Charles in a German newspaper. There are some wonderful ones from his early childhood amongst them, too, but I am always interested in photos of him with Camilla when they were younger. I am not sure if the man in the background was her then husband, Andrew Parker-Bowles, but it looks like him to me.

AGBF
34.gif

CharlesCamilla&A.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this photograph. It shows the young Prince Charles and Princess Anne (the current Prince of Wales and Princess Royal).

AGBF
34.gif

charlesandanne.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cullinan II.

cullinanIIdiamond.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cullinana I and II with a 1 ct diamond.

The Cullinan II and I.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cullinan III and IV. III is the pear on the bottom.

cullinanIII_667and_IV.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
"Summary of characteristics of the nine largest Cullinan diamonds

S/N

Name
Carat Weight Shape/Cut Present mountings of the diamond
1 Cullinan I 530.20 pear Mounted on the head of the Royal Scepter.
2 Cullinan II 317.40 cushion Mounted on the brow or band of the Imperial State Crown.
3 Cullinan III 94.40 pear Mounted on the finial of Queen Mary''s Crown. Can be combined with IV as a pendant brooch
4 Cullinan IV 63.60 cushion Originally set in the band of Queen Mary''s Crown. Can be combined with III as pendant brooch
5 Cullinan V 18.80 pear Originally mounted in a brooch for Queen Mary. Later mounted on the circlet of her crown as replacement for the Koh-i-Noor.
6 CUllinan VI 11.50 marquise Worn by Queen Elizabeth II as a drop on a diamond and emerald necklace.
7 CUllinan VII 8.80 marquise Mounted as a pendant on an all diamond brooch with cushion-cut VIII in the center.
8 Cullinan VIII 6.80 cushion Mounted in the center of a diamond brooch, with VII hanging as pendant
9 Cullinan IX 4.39 pear Mounted in a ring for Queen Mary and sometimes worn by Queen Elizabeth II"

http://www.internetstones.com/cullinan-diamond-famous-jewelry.html

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cullinan I.

star-ofs-africa-cullinan-i.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cullinan V.

20s0136.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Culllinan VII.

"There are numerous instances where the Cullinan VI and Cullinan VII are confused, on the Web and in print. Both are marquise cut, but that is where the similarity ends. The Cullinan VI is rather long and thin, the Cullinan VII is somewhat stubby in comparison."

http://www.museumdiamonds.com/Cullinan7.htm

Cullinadn 7 hor small.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
"Life size pictures of Cullinan VI and Cullinan VII, respectively."

Cull 6d 7 small.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cullinan IX.

isr_c.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pictures, Danny. I am just doing a drive-through of this thread right now but I suspect the choices you made for posting (the Cullinan diamonds) will nudge me into doing some serious reading as did your posting of the Arcot photo! I probably didn't thank you for posting the latter, but the photo I love the most of the Arcot diamonds is the one where they are on what looks like a straight pin, the one in which the Duchess of Westminster (or was it Queen Charlotte?) was supposedly maligned as having been said to be wearing two drops of glass on a pin!!!

At any rate, thanks for all the work you have been doing in the archives. I anticipate some fun at the computer later when I have more time!

Hugs,
Deb
34.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the AWESOME EYE CANDY Danny!!!
30.gif

Lori

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Deb and Lori, you''re welcome!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I''ve been missing for a few days and so many things happened!

Firstly - I want to welcome our new user Goldandjewels!

Secondly - Firstly I shared SDL''s oppinion about the carats of Diana, Princess of Wales'' sapphire (18 cts), but later after Jenna''s numerous posts and comparisons I understood that I was wrong, and that although we can not be sure about the exact cts it most probably about 7 and 9cts.

Thirdly - Thank you Danny for the Cullinan posts. I really like these diamonds and enjoy seeing pics of them. I''m also happy that the Cullian V brooch is among HM''s most favourite and often worn pieces.
I hope we''ll see the Delhi Durbar stomacher with Cambridge emeralds and the Cullian diamonds soon. Here is a rscent picture of the lovely Queen and her diamond.

LPGTerminal.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results