shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here is how it originally looked before it was refashioned.

enghoneycomborig.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Camilla wearing her first tiara since her wedding to Prince Charles. This was in 2005. The tiara is the Delhi Durbar Tiara and has only been seen twice before in public.

From CBS News:

"The tiara, a circle of diamonds mounted in gold and arranged as forget-me-nots and lyres, was made by Garrards in 1911 and worn by Queen Mary for the Delhi Durbar to celebrate the coronation of King George V.

It was loaned to the queen''s mother, the then-Queen Elizabeth, in 1947 for an official visit to South Africa and remained with her.

The so-called Durbar Tiara previously included five of the Cambridge cabochon emeralds, but Queen Mary had those removed for inclusion in another tiara.

The tiara was last displayed in public in 1998 to benefit a charity."

Behind Camilla in the photo is Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway wearing her amethyst parure.

camillatiara.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a great comparison shot of Camilla in the Durbar Tiara and Queen Mary wearing the tiara as well. You can see in the older photo that the tiara used to be topped by five cabochon emerald which were part of the Cambridge Emeralds.

Camilla''s use of this tiara is a strong sign of her acceptance into the RF.

camillaandmarydurbartiara.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 6:59:14 PM
Author: surfgirl
Yeah, Camilla bugs...but honestly, I dont think the antiquey royal jewels were really Diana''s style. She was quite contemporary in her fashion sense and while she was often seen with jewelry like a big strand of honker South Seas pearls, no doubt natural (no, I''m not bitter!), or honker earrings, I dont remember seeing her a lot with things like that emerald brooch or things of that nature. Camilla grates on my last nerve, but she does wear that vintage jewelry quite well (yeah, okay maybe a little bitter!)...
Maybe because she''s more "vintage"??
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 9:06:51 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 10/23/2007 8:53:32 PM
Author: Ellen

Maybe because she''s more ''vintage''??
11.gif
11.gif
ROFL!! Funny.. oh so silly and funny. LOL
11.gif
9.gif

Well, if the brooch fits....
nails.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyAmy, when you get a chance, how about giving us the living family tree of some of these Royal families outside Britain? I can''t keep straight who''s related to whom!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 12:10:40 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
LadyAmy, when you get a chance, how about giving us the living family tree of some of these Royal families outside Britain? I can''t keep straight who''s related to whom!
Great idea. It might take me a little while but I will put together a list of the major royals.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is Princess Letizia of Spain at a State dinner this week. She is married to the Crown Prince Felipe. She used to be a television journalist. They have two daughters.

letiz1_2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Letizia at the same event with her husband. Felipe is verry tall and Letizia is tiny. I think she is way too skinny though. Her face looks very gaunt - especially from certain angles - and I don''t think it looks very flattering.

letiz2_1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is Crown Princess Mary of Denmark at an event this week. I haven''t seen this set of necklace and bracelet before and it''s more casual than I am used to from her. It''s nice though.

maryjurkje_1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Poor Maxima! There was recently a contest to "design a new tiara for Maxima". This monstrosity was the winner. WTF? How the heck is she supposed to even wear that thing? From the drawings I saw it was sort of set sideways wil the "veil" part over one ear. Gross. Look at Maxima''s face. She is trying so hard to smile politely and not barf all over that thing. I SERIOUSLY doubt we will be seing her wearing this. Maybe she can loan it to her sister in law Mabel. (LOL)

tiaramaxkpg.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This is my FAV thread--I could look at those jewels & tiaras for hours....and the royal women are oh so beautiful (well maybe not Camilla
9.gif
....)

cheers--Sharon

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
If that one was the winner I would hate to see what the other ones look like...its hideous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tiara looked very old Egyptian; not quite appropriate for a modern princess.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Do you think its possible that Maxima chose the winner herself? I can''t see why anyone would choose that one though... its more of a hat than anything else.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 6:05:17 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Do you think its possible that Maxima chose the winner herself? I can''t see why anyone would choose that one though... its more of a hat than anything else.
I''m pretty sure she did not.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Okey dokey - that wasn''t as hard as I thought.

I have put the reigning monarch first and their spouse second. There are 3 reigning Kings and 2 Queens. The children of the reigning monarch are highlighted.

Norway:

King Harald
Queen Sonja
Crown Prince Haakon Magnus
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
their children:
Marius (child from Mette-Marit''s previous relationship)
Ingrid (will inherit)
Sverre Magnus
Princess Martha Louise
Ari Behn
two daughters

Spain:
King Juan-Carlos
Queen Sofia (was a Princess of Greece and Denmark prior to her marriage - remember the "Greek" Royals are really a branch of the Danish Royal Family.)
Crown Prince Felipe
Crown Princess Letizia
their daughters:
Princess Leonor (will inherit if not superceded by a brother)
Princess Sofia
Infanta Elena
Infanta Cristina

(both are married with several children each)

Sweden:
King Carl Gustav
Queen Silvia
Crown Princess Victoria
Prince Carl Philip
Princess Madeline

(none of them are married yet)

The Netherlands:
Queen Beatrix
Prince Claus (deceased)
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander
Crown Princess Maxima
their children:
Princess Amalia (will inherit)
Princess Alexia
Princess Ariane
Prince Contantijn
Princess Laurentien
(three children)
Prince Johan-Friso (no longer in the line of succession due to his marriage)
Countess Mabel
(two daughters)

Denmark:
Queen Margrethe
Prince Henrik
Crown Prince Frederik
Crown Princess Mary
their children:
Prince Christian (will inherit)
Princess Isabella
Prince Joachim
his fiancee Marie Cavallier
his first wife Countess Alexandra
their children: two boys
These are the major European royal families. There are also many, many Middle Eastern Royals as well as Belgium and Luxembourg and Monaco and Japan. But I don''t find them very interesting so probably won''t post much about them. There are also the Greek Royals who are in exile. And some sort of "would be Royals" of Russia and Italy which are disputed younger branches of the families that were destroyed during WWII. Let me know if I am missing any - when you get down to junior branches and displaced Royals there are a lot of them!

The Danish Royals are related to just about everybody. England - through Prince Phillip, Spain through Queen Sofia, the Greeks (see above). If you go back far enough, usually just a few generations, a fair number of these families are actually heavily German in origin.

They also have friendships amongst eachother. Prince Charles and King Juan-Carlos. Prince Fredrik and the heir to the Greek "throne". The Belgians tends to hangout with the Dutch and the Luxembourgs. The Swedes, Danes and Norwegians form the "northern block". Some of these relationships stem from a geographical closeness of the countries but most are because they are all related if you just go back far enough.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 5:27:39 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

This is my FAV thread--I could look at those jewels & tiaras for hours....and the royal women are oh so beautiful (well maybe not Camilla
9.gif
....)

cheers--Sharon
Well how about Mabel? Isn''t she a beaut?
11.gif

I know I pick on Mabel but she started it! I think lying to the entire country was not a good way to start of a relationship. And since then she has just been so tacky and vulgar I can''t stand it. She seems to think pepto-bismol pink is the answer to every fashion question. Then she adds on bows, ruffles, flounces, flowers and lace on every available surface including shoes, hair and handbags. Shudder.

This photo is actually of her looking her absolute best - sad to say.

fuglymabel.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s Mabel in all her glory on her wedding day. She looked okay makeup wise but that dress??? WTF??? Bows, bows, bows and more and more bows.

mabelmabelmabel.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
There were bows all over the front, bows all over the back and bows all the way down the train culminating in huge bows at the edge. She looks like a ten year old living in the 1950''s designed her dress.

mabelweddingcakedress.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Poor Mabel - apparently the wedding cake exploded all over her dress and she was fored to walk down the aisle in that confection. Eeeeeewwwwww!

I''ll never be able to figure out how she landed the best looking of the Orange brothers. Everyone thought he was a confirmed bachelor before this....

mabelwedding.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, that is hard to figure out! But she did look better in that first picture with her hair down than in any of the others. That wedding dress is indescribable, though!!!
23.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno LadyAm--I think she is kinda cute despite her unfortunate clothing choices. Moreover, I do not think the men are such great looking "catches"--many, to me, are in the yiiiiikes category
14.gif
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 8:40:47 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I dunno LadyAm--I think she is kinda cute despite her unfortunate clothing choices. Moreover, I do not think the men are such great looking ''catches''--many, to me, are in the yiiiiikes category
14.gif
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
Ugh! I agree. If I had my pick I''d choose Frederik or Haakon. They''re both reasonably good looking and seem to really have good relationships with their wives.

Maybe we should have a "best royal catch" poll.
27.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Holy mother of all that''s holy! That? Is one of the most heinous bridal gowns I''ve ever seen. Ever, ever! That one dude looking down at her train/dress in the first photo looks like he''s thinking, "WTF IS that thing?" Those giantor BOWS on her train? Holy crap. That''s just nasty. Someone please call What Not To Wear: The Royals Edition!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was so blown away by the bow wedding dress last night that I failed to thank Lady Amy for posting the Royal family trees above. That will help tremedously to keep these people straight!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
DS, I had nightmares last night about BOWS taking over my house!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the WTF group on that dress! I haven't worn a bow since I was six! Let alone 600 bows! (gags) And, doesn't it make her shoulders look awfully defensive-endish? And to think. She walked out of her house that day thinking "damn, I look good!" and her friends let her think that?!?! The look on the guy's face holding her train is killer!!
9.gif

ETA- DOH! that's a girl carrying the train! And the door man in the first pic looks like he's trying to stifle himself.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
She is not so hideous that proper makeup and hair would not help her be more attractive.

However, she needs major help in the fashion department.

And sadly, I think we are so much tougher on the women. If the man has Prince in front of his name we tend to overlook a lot. Though I am sure some of the men are not awful, some are!

I always thought Queen Noor (American born Lisa Halaby I think) and her daughter in law, Princess Rania, are lovely too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results