shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1319065667|3043790 said:
Aftr looking at the recent engagement ring post, I started thinking I have never seen a nice picture of the Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring. Some really nice closeups but nothing that really makes the diamonds shine. It has been reported to be worth $100,000 so it certainly did not come out of a cracker jack box. While I realize this is an antique ring (previously property of the Queen Mum), it just doesn't sparkle. Am assuming it is due to their cut (old stones, single cut ??)and setting in the ring. Just wondering, does anyone have a sparkly picture of it, or comments?

Just like with Diana's ring, now Kate's ring, I wish I could have Camilla's ring sent to GIA and read a report on it. As it is, we have yet as far as I know been able to even see a good picture of her ring (I don't want a picture of her wearing it; I want to see Cartier's picture of the finished piece). I plain can't see Camilla's ring close enough to make any kind of judgment about it nor form any opinion about it. It's an interesting subject, though. Thanks for your post. Needless to say, if any of you gets any picture like the one I described, please post it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
laurensmama|1319746584|3048906 said:
Yes I saw the pictures of the princess (Japan) on the internet, was wondering about the history behind the jewels, assume they belong to the royal family and were not borrowed from a jeweler. Any info would be great. Also does anyone have a clear photo of the ear rings that the Duchess of Cambridge wore to her first solo engagement? I can't tell what she is wearing based upon the photos I have seen. Thanks.

Here you go, she's worn these before.

kateearrings.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1319795188|3049229 said:
laurensmama|1319065667|3043790 said:
Aftr looking at the recent engagement ring post, I started thinking I have never seen a nice picture of the Duchess of Cornwall's engagement ring. Some really nice closeups but nothing that really makes the diamonds shine. It has been reported to be worth $100,000 so it certainly did not come out of a cracker jack box. While I realize this is an antique ring (previously property of the Queen Mum), it just doesn't sparkle. Am assuming it is due to their cut (old stones, single cut ??)and setting in the ring. Just wondering, does anyone have a sparkly picture of it, or comments?

Just like with Diana's ring, now Kate's ring, I wish I could have Camilla's ring sent to GIA and read a report on it. As it is, we have yet as far as I know been able to even see a good picture of her ring (I don't want a picture of her wearing it; I want to see Cartier's picture of the finished piece). I plain can't see Camilla's ring close enough to make any kind of judgment about it nor form any opinion about it. It's an interesting subject, though. Thanks for your post. Needless to say, if any of you gets any picture like the one I described, please post it.

Diana's ring was supposedly in the Garrards catalogue, but no one seems to have a photo of it from there. I wish I knew if it was that dark and inky IRL as it is in every single solitary photo I've ever seen of it on Diana or Kate. I also wonder if it was heated, and the true carat weight, which is NOT 18 carats, as all of media seems to love to report it as.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I'm interested in whatever it is that shows just behind her hairline. Does the Duchess have hair extensions? :tongue:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1319821392|3049443 said:
Actually, I'm interested in whatever it is that shows just behind her hairline. Does the Duchess have hair extensions? :tongue:

No, it's a scar from a childhood operation. The Palace gave that statement already, and refused to say what the operation was for.

dmacdumes

Rough_Rock
Just like with Diana's ring, now Kate's ring, I wish I could have Camilla's ring sent to GIA and read a report on it. As it is, we have yet as far as I know been able to even see a good picture of her ring (I don't want a picture of her wearing it; I want to see Cartier's picture of the finished piece). I plain can't see Camilla's ring close enough to make any kind of judgment about it nor form any opinion about it. It's an interesting subject, though. Thanks for your post. Needless to say, if any of you gets any picture like the one I described, please post it.[/quote]

For Camilla's ring I think the problem comes from the cut and the way the ambient light reflects through it. Emerald cuts aren't as reflective as European, cushion, or round brilliants and the wearer's skin-tone can be an issue since it shows through the stone. Camilla's ring almost always photographs brownish or even greenish. I suspect in the right light (daylight or candlelight perhaps?) it would look impressive.

As I understand it the center stone of Camilla's ring is the original 1925 stone while the side baguettes and setting are modern. Recutting the center stone for more brilliance is probably not an option due to the sentimentality of the diamond.

This is the only photo I've ever seen of her ring looking as though it has white diamonds, and even this photo is pretty poor:

http://jewelry.about.com/od/engagementrings/a/camilla_ring.htm

I'd upload the photo itself but this is my first time posting and I can't figure out how to attach a photo, sorry.

On a similar topic

"Diana's ring was supposedly in the Garrards catalogue, but no one seems to have a photo of it from there. I wish I knew if it was that dark and inky IRL as it is in every single solitary photo I've ever seen of it on Diana or Kate. I also wonder if it was heated, and the true carat weight, which is NOT 18 carats, as all of media seems to love to report it as."

I don't think a sapphire of this quality would have been heat treated. It's dark in some photos, particularly under artificial light, but I've seen flashes of rich blue under the right photographic conditions. The confusion between carat (stone size) and karat (gold configuration) is too much for most media outlets to sort out, apparently. Catherine's ring is set in 18K gold but the stone size looks more like 8 to 9 carats. Personally I've always wondered what kind of diamonds surround the sapphire, European maybe? But if it's a modern creation they're probably round brilliants.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmacdumes|1319827041|3049506 said:
I don't think a sapphire of this quality would have been heat treated. It's dark in some photos, particularly under artificial light, but I've seen flashes of rich blue under the right photographic conditions. The confusion between carat (stone size) and karat (gold configuration) is too much for most media outlets to sort out, apparently. Catherine's ring is set in 18K gold but the stone size looks more like 8 to 9 carats. Personally I've always wondered what kind of diamonds surround the sapphire, European maybe? But if it's a modern creation they're probably round brilliants.

From all the photographs I've seen, it looks to be good quality, but not world class or fine quality. Lots of sapphires of good quality are dark toned and flash blue under artificial lighting, but that doesn't mean they have fine saturation, such as the finest sapphires I would expect royalty to wear. I personally think Diana just picked the biggest ring on the tray without much consideration for quality of color.

Again, it could be wonderful in person, and it just photographs poorly, but why is it that the Queen and others have sapphires that photograph much better than this one? When I see a sapphire, I want it to be blue, not black with blue flashes. The setting is also very boring, and I think it's got to be the most overrated ring in history.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1319575192|3047475 said:
Dorrit Moussaieff
When Fred and Mary visited Iceland in 2008, a magazine here in Australia said about Icelands First Lady;
Born in Israel, Doritt Moussaieff, 58, made her fortune as a designer in her parents jewelery business. She is a contributing editor of British magazine Tatler.
So that is why she has such lovely jewellery.

Yes, I know that about Dorit Moussaieff, but thatnks for adding it here Dagmar :)
The First Lady is obviously a well to do lady and it's kind of nice that she has access to these jewels, as she has attended quite a few royal events (full of bejewelled ladies) throughout the years.
What I actually like about her is that all the jewels I've seen her with are to my taste.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1319724289|3048678 said:
Home today dealing with the stomach bug that is going around :blackeye:

All I know is that unlike in the United States, where 18 is considered to be an adult, in Japan the age to be an "adult" is 20.

Here are some pics...I think the necklace mimics the pattern of the tiara. I also think there's a little bit of lover's knot in this tiara.

You,re right, Maria! The necklace is the mirror image of the tiara (or vice-versa). This is, in fact, a commor practice in the Imperal family - we've seen such parures on The Empress, on The Crown Princess and on The Princess Akishino (Princess Mako's mother).
To the best of my knowlidge, these jewels are new to the IF. It's unlikely that they were borrowed from a jewels, so they might've been a present to the young Princess.
Once again Yes - there appears to be some similarity to a Lover's Knot tiara (whether British, Bavarian, Russian, etc), particularly the U-shaped curves that form the tiara and the diamond collets on top. There might also be pearls in the Japanese tiara and the necklace. Yet, there are no pear-shaped pearls or lover's knots.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1319746584|3048906 said:
Yes I saw the pictures of the princess (Japan) on the internet, was wondering about the history behind the jewels, assume they belong to the royal family and were not borrowed from a jeweler. Any info would be great. Also does anyone have a clear photo of the ear rings that the Duchess of Cambridge wore to her first solo engagement? I can't tell what she is wearing based upon the photos I have seen. Thanks.

Here are a couple of close-ups of the earrings and bracelet, both worn in South America earlier this year:
kate-middleton-s-earring-pic-pa-137271423.jpg
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/oct2011/6/6/kate-middleton-s-earring-pic-pa-137271423.jpg
kate-middleton-s-bracelet-and-wedding-ring-pic-pa-645231523.jpg
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/o...racelet-and-wedding-ring-pic-pa-645231523.jpg
*pix courtesy The Daily Mirror

Bobby

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1319826975|3049503 said:
VRBeauty|1319821392|3049443 said:

No, it's a scar from a childhood operation. The Palace gave that statement already, and refused to say what the operation was for.

Thanks for the info, TL!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
For Camilla's ring I think the problem comes from the cut and the way the ambient light reflects through it. Emerald cuts aren't as reflective as European, cushion, or round brilliants and the wearer's skin-tone can be an issue since it shows through the stone. Camilla's ring almost always photographs brownish or even greenish. I suspect in the right light (daylight or candlelight perhaps?) it would look impressive.

As I understand it the center stone of Camilla's ring is the original 1925 stone while the side baguettes and setting are modern. Recutting the center stone for more brilliance is probably not an option due to the sentimentality of the diamond.

The ring has always had 7 diamonds - a central emerald-cut stone and three smaller baguette-cut diamonds on each side. Take a look at this photo of The Queen Mother wearing the ring in 1985:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52195222/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library

Personally I've always wondered what kind of diamonds surround the sapphire, European maybe? But if it's a modern creation they're probably round brilliants.

Since the ring was most likely made in 1980, we can safely assume that the diamonds surrounding the sapphire are all brilliants.
As to why we've seen a photo of the ring in the catalogue - Well, IMO it's likely that only very few people have (access to) the catalouge and no one of the then is willing to share such a picture.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Let's go to a more sunny place, than old gray England, shall we?
The Queen of the Netherlands, together with The Prince & Princess of Orange, started an official visit to Aruba.
For the inspection of the guard of honour on L.G. Smith boulevard in Oranjestad, The Queen wore the pendants from the emerald parure as ear studs; HM also wore a floral brooch in diamonds and green enamel and a gold bangle with an emerald and diamond cluster (also part of the parure):
PPE11102811.jpg PPE11102810.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2011/PPE11102811.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2011/PPE11102810.jpg

*I'm afraid Princess Maxima's jewels ar not worth reporting.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Queen of Australia wore the Brazilian aquamarine parure at the CHOGM in Perth, Autralia on 28th October. The Queen, as head of the Commonwealth, hosted a banquet for the visiting heads of State/Government. Here you can enjoy two photos:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/130695838/Getty-Images-News
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/130695554/Getty-Images-News

Earlier that day, HM wore a sapphire and diamond brooch in the form of a flower at the Opening Ceremony of this year's CHOGM:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/130671043/Getty-Images-News

Yesterday at a garder pary Elizabeth II honoured her late mother's small pearl and diamond brooch with another outing:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/130607877/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
TL|1319827513|3049510 said:
I

From all the photographs I've seen, it looks to be good quality, but not world class or fine quality. Lots of sapphires of good quality are dark toned and flash blue under artificial lighting, but that doesn't mean they have fine saturation, such as the finest sapphires I would expect royalty to wear. I personally think Diana just picked the biggest ring on the tray without much consideration for quality of color.

Again, it could be wonderful in person, and it just photographs poorly, but why is it that the Queen and others have sapphires that photograph much better than this one? When I see a sapphire, I want it to be blue, not black with blue flashes. The setting is also very boring, and I think it's got to be the most overrated ring in history.

No disrepect TL but I think that is the most ridiculous story with no more validity than the story we are told about the sapphire being 18 cts. Just two days ago I read about how it was 18 cts and "as Diana herself said she chose the biggest one." where is the link proving she said this? For heavens sake we know that Diana had taste and style in wearing jewels. Before she even married Charles she had a title and was independenly wealthy. IMO until I see some evidence this is just another story designed to make Diana look like a crass golddigger. When we think about the fact that the sapphire isn't anything close to 18 cts this story completely falls apart.

I agree it's not a nice ring but Diana was told to choose among goods that weren't the best. That's hardly Diana's fault.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1319854623|3049777 said:
TL|1319827513|3049510 said:
I

No disrepect TL but I think that is the most ridiculous story with no more validity than the story we are told about the sapphire being 18 cts. Just two days ago I read about how it was 18 cts and "as Diana herself said she chose the biggest one." where is the link proving she said this? For heavens sake we know that Diana had taste and style in wearing jewels. Before she even married Charles she had a title and was independenly wealthy. IMO until I see some evidence this is just another story designed to make Diana look like a crass golddigger. When we think about the fact that the sapphire isn't anything close to 18 cts this story completely falls apart.

I agree it's not a nice ring but Diana was told to choose among goods that weren't the best. That's hardly Diana's fault.

Danny,
I read about the story in several places, that she chose the largest ring in the tray. You could be right, and it could be heresay. Where did you hear that Diana was told to choose among goods that weren't the best? I never heard that one before. Kind of shocked :shock: If that's the case, than it would explain why the sapphire isn't so spectacular as everyone makes it out to be.

Too bad PS wasn't around back then, she could have educated herself, and got a much nicer sapphire for a lot less money (if the BRF was that concerned about the cost of the ring). :mrgreen:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I AGREE with everything else you said. This ring was not really a jewel from the "court jeweler" - it was just a stock piece in Girrad's catalog. What could go wrong? :rolleyes: this should have been a custom, commissioned piece from Cartier- ar any other house that could do the job. The whole controversy about the dark color most importantly and the whole resetting/ restting publicity could have been avoided. And now Kate has to tote this hideous ring around and we have to look at it again. Yuck. :errrr:

I wish we could read a GIA report. It would be fascinating. Unfortunately, we never will.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This is the only photo I've ever seen of her ring looking as though it has white diamonds, and even this photo is pretty poor:

Welcome, dmacdumes! :wavey:

Thanks! This is the best I've seen now too. I appreciate it. I wish it was face up but this gives me hope we'll see other pictures as well soon. Cartier wasn't making junk in 1926. I personally believe this would be an impressive ring in person.

Thanks again!

dmacdumes

Rough_Rock
Imdanny|1319872587|3049840 said:

Thanks! This is the best I've seen now too. I appreciate it. I wish it was face up but this gives me hope we'll see other pictures as well soon. Cartier wasn't making junk in 1926. I personally believe this would be an impressive ring in person.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the nice welcome, Danny. I've actually been lurking for a couple of years so your names are all familiar to me. I don't have anything like the knowledge of royal jewels that you all bring to this forum, but I'm learning slowly and enjoy the discussions. I look forward to joining in when I can get up the courage to do so!

My favorite era of jewelry is art deco, so Camilla's ring is one that particularly interests me. Someday I'd also love to see a good-quality close-up of Queen Elizabeth's engagement ring too. Considering that it was a stone from the collection of Prince Philip's mother, I've been curious whether it's an Old European or old mine cut, but so far I haven't been able to tell from available photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1319865305|3049827 said:
I AGREE with everything else you said. This ring was not really a jewel from the "court jeweler" - it was just a stock piece in Girrad's catalog. What could go wrong? :rolleyes: this should have been a custom, commissioned piece from Cartier- ar any other house that could do the job. The whole controversy about the dark color most importantly and the whole resetting/ restting publicity could have been avoided. And now Kate has to tote this hideous ring around and we have to look at it again. Yuck. :errrr: I wish we could read a GIA report. It would be fascinating. Unfortunately, we never will.

Actually, with Kate's simple and very meh taste in jewelry, I bet she thinks it's the most spectacular thing she's ever seen. No offense to Kate, but she's no Elizabeth Taylor when it comes to jewelry and it's quality, and that's okay. 99% of the world thinks its the most fabulous sapphire on earth, which I find rather funny. :lol:

Not to side track from royal jewels, but Elizabeth Taylor has a ruby around the same size as Kate's sapphire, in a ring with a similar design, but bigger and better diamonds. Richard Burton gave it to her, and PS has some photos of it up in their blog on Elizabeth Taylor. Now THAT's a ring fit not just for a Duchess, but a Queen. Also, even though it's smaller, I prefer Sarah Ferguson's ruby ering to Diana's. You can at least see it's very red.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmacdumes|1319910898|3049958 said:
Imdanny|1319872587|3049840 said:

Thanks again!

Thanks for the nice welcome, Danny. I've actually been lurking for a couple of years so your names are all familiar to me. I don't have anything like the knowledge of royal jewels that you all bring to this forum, but I'm learning slowly and enjoy the discussions. I look forward to joining in when I can get up the courage to do so!

My favorite era of jewelry is art deco, so Camilla's ring is one that particularly interests me. Someday I'd also love to see a good-quality close-up of Queen Elizabeth's engagement ring too. Considering that it was a stone from the collection of Prince Philip's mother, I've been curious whether it's an Old European or old mine cut, but so far I haven't been able to tell from available photos.

Another up close picture of Camilla's ering

camilla_royal_ring_cp_7106280.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. I wonder what the color grade is. Whatever it is, I like it.

Of course you're referring to the VCA ring. My goodness, you only have to go to McTiege and McClelland's site to see what a blue sapphire should like. Charles and th RF did not do a good job with Diana's ring. I'm sorry but it's true.

The only thing I've like on Kate so far was the tiara and that's it. Definetly room for improvement.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1319937303|3050169 said:
Thanks, TL. I wonder what the color grade is. Whatever it is, I like it.

Of course you're referring to the VCA ring. My goodness, you only have to go to McTiege and McClelland's site to see what a blue sapphire should like. Charles and th RF did not do a good job with Diana's ring. I'm sorry but it's true.

The only thing I've like on Kate so far was the tiara and that's it. Definetly room for improvement.

Not only that, but the ring was $65K in 1981, so it was a huge ripoff.

As for Kate, her mum wore blue topaz jewelry to the wedding, so that family has a lot to learn. :???: Give it time, she's young, and she'll have a huge jewelry box to play in one day. :naughty:

Liz got her ring from VCA, yes. *sigh* Love that ring.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Right now, the King Farouk bracelet is my favorite. I mean I don't know if it's the one I would choose if I could choose any but I'm enjoying it. :love:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember that this is not a thread for bashing royals but rather enjoying their jewels. Please keep the mean spirited comments off the forum.

dmacdumes

Rough_Rock
Catoo|1320002843|3050510 said:
Hello, I am new here and hope I am doing it right.

I have some clearer pictures of Catherine’s engagement ring
http://i44.tinypic.com/2aaiq6x.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/29oqzye.jpg
Maybe I am from old school but I have to say I love it.

Not big but clear image of Camilla’s ring
http://i40.tinypic.com/21o4ynq.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/bhbzma.jpg

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post images. :confused:

Thanks very much for these! I hadn't seen the details of the gallery on Catherine's ring before, and the surrounding diamonds are clearly modern. A bit of a puzzle: her ring is usually described as 18K white gold but it sure looks like yellow gold to me from these photos. Maybe the original eight-prong setting was white gold and it was changed to yellow with the addition of multiple prongs?

The detail of Camilla's ring is much more clear in these photos. The structure of the cut can be seen more clearly.

Most photos don't do justice to these rings, it seems.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Imdanny would you mind posting a photo of the King Farouk bracelet to which your refer, as I do not know which one
it is. I would appreciate it very much cheers.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Catoo|1320002843|3050510 said:
Hello, I am new here and hope I am doing it right.

I have some clearer pictures of Catherine’s engagement ring
http://i44.tinypic.com/2aaiq6x.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/29oqzye.jpg
Maybe I am from old school but I have to say I love it.

Not big but clear image of Camilla’s ring
http://i40.tinypic.com/21o4ynq.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/bhbzma.jpg

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post images. :confused:

It's far too dark for my taste especially in the second picture. Thanks, tough. I appreciate being able to see it up close. Now I'm going to go look at Camilla's ring. I'll see if I like it as much as I think I do.

Edit, ok, I've done that. I can't see the setting clearly in either of these pictures. I don't have a better idea of the color (it intrigues me- it looks like a low color, I like that).

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results