shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Heathertowie

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1297632345|2850925 said:
Of course, Prince Henry makes more sence to be in that photo, not a former PM! I stand corrected, Neil and Heathertowie.

By the way, Heathertowie, welcome to the site! I'm glad more and more people are joining us!

This is a close-up of Princess Marie's earrings. Since I'm not good at telling apart flowers, I'll let you decide what this is.

Bobby

Hi Bobby and thankyou for the close up. I was completely wrong! Don't know what that flower would be, I would call it a cluster but maybe that is too simplistic? The daisy jewellery in Denmark is very pretty esp when worn by younger ladies. It can be very expensive as you probably know and is often made by a famous firm which I shouldn't mention !

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Principessa|1297664902|2851262 said:
Laurie, I strongly believe,that there is no connection between The Churchills and the Duke of Gloucester,the name he was given as the youngest child of the King.The Duke's mother was HM the Queen Mary (Mary of Teck),and his father the King George V, while Winston Churchill's mother was an American.Even if I am not aware of any connections from my years of following the royal bloodlines,well.....only the stars above know,of course...

I couldn't find any connection either, Principessa. Perhaps only that photo made it look like a resemblance; otherwise, not. Haha, the stars above & perhaps 2 others......

but I find it fascinating to see family resemblance..e.g. it seems to me, that Prince Andrew's features are those of his maternal great-grandmother HM Queen Mary!?

QM was prepotent, for sure. Dominant genes -- her mouth & chin has passed down to almost all of her descendants. P. Margaret & her son Linley have it, as does Andrew, George VI, the Queen, Princess Anne, P. William...so many Windsors. To tell the truth, it's one reason I will never be convinced that P. Harry is Charles's son; he doesn't have a single Windsor feature & looks so much like James Whats-his-name, can't remember. Anyway, it's a family trait that so many of them resemble Queen Mary.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1297646299|2851074 said:
Laurensmama -- is it possibly the King Khalid necklace, given to the Queen in 1979? Diana wore it also -- looks similar, don't you think? Also it would make a terrific tiara -- and look a lot better than the un-lovely one Sophie wears.

--- Laurie

The two necklaces are most certanly not the same, Laurie. Similar yes, but not the same. Here's a close-up of the necklace the Countess of Wessex wore in Stocholm last year. IMO it's possible that the necklace was a 10th wedding anniversary present from the Earl in 2009. But this may be just my wishful thinking.
I agree with you that it would make a nice tiara, and I think we are not away from the truth - see the place where the fringes end and the simple diamond line begins.

Bobby

sophie.nec.stocholm.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1297683773|2851324 said:
QM was prepotent, for sure. Dominant genes -- her mouth & chin has passed down to almost all of her descendants. P. Margaret & her son Linley have it, as does Andrew, George VI, the Queen, Princess Anne, P. William...so many Windsors. To tell the truth, it's one reason I will never be convinced that P. Harry is Charles's son; he doesn't have a single Windsor feature & looks so much like James Whats-his-name, can't remember. Anyway, it's a family trait that so many of them resemble Queen Mary.

--- Laurie

Laurie, have ever seen photos of Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark, currently HRH The Duke of Edinburgh? From the Windsors Prince Henry resambles him most, not to mention that he is the spitting image of his Spencer uncle. I have an image where the resemblance is striking.
BTW, the name is James Hewitt.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Heathertowie|1297682041|2851319 said:
Hi Bobby and thankyou for the close up. I was completely wrong! Don't know what that flower would be, I would call it a cluster but maybe that is too simplistic? The daisy jewellery in Denmark is very pretty esp when worn by younger ladies. It can be very expensive as you probably know and is often made by a famous firm which I shouldn't mention !

You're welcome, Heathertowie! I personally call them cluster earrings, with no mention of any flower, so that I'm not wrong.
Re daisy jewellery - Why not mention the name of the firm? Cartier, VC&A, Pearl Paradise, etc are all frequently mentioned here and no one objects.
Here are some exmaples of Queen Margrethe and Crown Princess mary with daisy jewellery - HM's are fake, HRH's is real:

Bobby

0000309839-008.jpg

1526400.jpg

stilfuldmary_Gal017.jpeg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy Valentine's Day to everybody! May love be all around you!

And happy 30th wedding anniversary to TRH The Grand Duke & The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg!

Bobby

philip-08--a.jpg

103454066.jpg

20051212pd4395.jpg

3237501.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, you're right on Sophie's necklace. I was just looking up all the RF fringe necklaces up when you posted. At first I wondered if the Khalid necklace could have the top baguette layer removed but No. Different stones & shape. You're right, Sophie's must be a gift from the Earl. It is not one of QE's. I see on the Royal Jewelry forum that they also don't know where it came from. I sure wish Sophie would put it on a frame & wear it as a tiara -- the more I look at the one she wore to CP Victoria's wedding, the more I dislike it. It looks like an Erector Set, don't know if you had those toys, but they are metal pieces kids can put together to make structures. A graceless tiara, imho. I am not crazy about her other one either.

Incidentally, their 7-yr-old daughter (forget her name) is to be a bridesmaid in Kate & William's wedding. She was born with a condition that causes a severe case of being cross-eyed -- and they HAVEN'T FIXED IT because they do not want to have her under general anesthesia!! Is that a very strange attitude? So the poor child goes through her youth with this handicap until she's old enough to decide herself? It affects her entire life, for heaven's sake! I'm fairly appalled.

BTW, in the photo I put up of Diana above, she is wearing the Collingwood necklace, not King Khalid's.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Laurie!

Although I didn't own an Erector Set, I did play quite a lot with the one available at the kindergarten :bigsmile: So, yes, I get your point about the tiara. It certanly looks like something a child can create.

About Lady Louise, well, all I can sey is Poor child. You must've read in the article that they didin't include her in the official christening photos because of her condition... But in the same time I can understan the Earl and the Countess. The interevention can be quite serious and dangerous for a child (it's a general anesthesia, after all), I understand. Anyway, Lady Louise is a charming little Princess, isn't she? I do hope she has a great time in late April :)

And here's why I logged now - Clarence house has reveled the list of maid of honour and beast man, bridesmaids and page boys.
Prince Henry of Wales is going to be the best man, Philippa Middleton - maid of honour.
The bridesmaids and page boys are going to be: The Lady Louise Windsor, The Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones (Viscount Linley's daughter), Miss Grace van Cutsem, Miss Eliza Lopes (The Duchess of Cornwall's granddaughter), Master William Lowther-Pinkerton and Master Tom Pettifer.

You can read the press release here - http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...iam_of_wales_and_miss_catherin_915779378.html

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's lovely, Bobby. Thanks for the link. I hope the next 4 months go quickly, waiting for that wedding!

You know, I have to disagree about anesthetic for children. These days for a healthy (or even a very sick) child, medicine has made such advances that, though there is some risk, it is very low. Gosh, they even operate on newborns all the time. I had surgery when I was 5, and that was 150 years ago! Whatever small hazard, it's less than leaving a child with a disability that must lead to enormous self-consciousness & cruel comments from other kids. It's not my business, of course, but I'm bewildered & shocked.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1297702879|2851546 said:
Oh, that's lovely, Bobby. Thanks for the link. I hope the next 4 months go quickly, waiting for that wedding!

You know, I have to disagree about anesthetic for children. These days for a healthy (or even a very sick) child, medicine has made such advances that, though there is some risk, it is very low. Gosh, they even operate on newborns all the time. I had surgery when I was 5 , and that was 150 years ago! Whatever small hazard, it's less than leaving a child with a disability that must lead to enormous self-consciousness & cruel comments from other kids. It's not my business, of course, but I'm bewildered & shocked.

--- Laurie

So you are 155 years old? You are pretty tech savvy for hitting the century and half mark! :loopy:

Principessa

Rough_Rock
Many many thanks Bobby!!
It's a great article. I love uncut stones in certain pieces..this is one of them...and the Czech Crown Jewels!
I saw the originals decades ago and the crown is,IMO, divine,as it should be.
and forgot to tell you, how splendid the Q Victoria's neckless looks in the detail view! Some of the gold and diamond segments resemble the letter "W'...(too soon for "Windsor")...I wonder if it is just a random shape and my fantasy is running wild! LOL

Principessa

Rough_Rock
HOW SWEET OF YOU!!!! ...AND LOVE ALL AROUND YOU!!!!!!!
here is a little Valentine

GW207H300.jpeg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Good morning, my first post so please excuse any mistakes I might make. In answer to the Daisy pin in Prss Marys hair.
it is an 18ct George Jensen piece,- enamel with pave set diamonds in the center. Retails for $12,700. Part of the commemorating collection of Queen Ingrid mother of Queen Margrethe. cheers

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the information, Princess Dagmar*, and welcome here! I didn't know Jensen's collection is in honour of Queen Ingrid, but that makes sence.
May I add that Janses also has a simpler brooch/pendant in gold and enamel only for 260 euros.

A daisy like the one CPss Mary wears:

*I suppose you're either called Dagmar (a wonderful Danish (royal) name) or your nickname is after Princess Dagmar, aka Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia.

Bobby

GJ_daisy_brooch.pend.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1297688989|2851353 said:
BTW, in the photo I put up of Diana above, she is wearing the Collingwood necklace, not King Khalid's.

--- Laurie
I forgot to add this in my original reply to your post, Laurie, but the Princess of Wales is actually wearing King Khalid's necklace in that photo with the red dress. After the offical enganement photos were taken, she wore the Collingwood necklace (without the earrings) only once - during King Khalid's visit to Great Britain in 1981.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1297702879|2851546 said:

You know, I have to disagree about anesthetic for children. These days for a healthy (or even a very sick) child, medicine has made such advances that, though there is some risk, it is very low. Gosh, they even operate on newborns all the time. I had surgery when I was 5, and that was 150 years ago! Whatever small hazard, it's less than leaving a child with a disability that must lead to enormous self-consciousness & cruel comments from other kids. It's not my business, of course, but I'm bewildered & shocked.

--- Laurie

Well, OK. I guess you're the right on this one. I know quite a lot of people who have undertaken operations of all sorts with general anesthetic and they are now ok and I have always been more or less worried about them. But I can not experss how worried and nervous I was when my Mini Pinscher (which I love as a child) was operated with general anesthetic. That's why I said I fully understand TRH's worries about their daughter's life.Of coures the dog feels great now and I'm sure Lady Lousie would fell great if her eyes are corrected when she's still young.

BTW, the 4 months to the wedding are already two and a half ;-) Time fles, doesn't it?

Anyway, lets stick to jewels :)

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1297730083|2851992 said:
As usual, I forgot the main reason why I logged in. This time it's the photos, published by the Grand Duchal court on the occasion of Reigning Couple's anniviersary from many events in their life. There's also a glittering photo of the couple with their eldest son.

The photos can be found here - http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/Galerie/Evenements/2011/02/NocesdePerle1/index.php

Bobby

My word they have a lot of children!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What nice pictures, Bobby! Real family photos. Does anyone know anything about the GD's earrings here? Would they be real? Very noticeable ones. Can't decide if I like them or not.

--- Laurie

P.S. I know how you felt about your dog, Bobby -- I did the same when mine had surgery. Certainly you worry, but the benefits far outweigh the risks, especially when your child has a handicap that can be corrected so well & growing up w/it is a burden. Possibly they had a hard time having a child & are extra protective, but for educated & prosperous people, it still stuns me. Jmo.

NocesdePerle_img_13.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1297727198|2851944 said:
Thank you for the information, Princess Dagmar*, and welcome here! I didn't know Jensen's collection is in honour of Queen Ingrid, but that makes sence.
May I add that Janses also has a simpler brooch/pendant in gold and enamel only for 260 euros.

A daisy like the one CPss Mary wears:

*I suppose you're either called Dagmar (a wonderful Danish (royal) name) or your nickname is after Princess Dagmar, aka Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia.

Bobby

Thank you Bobby for the great pic. I was quoting the price which I read elsewhere and thought it was rather expensive. But the $12,700 price could have been for the whole set which may include earrings etc. Your price of 260 euros sounds more reasonable.
Yes I have chosen to name myself after that wonderful woman the Empress Maria Feodorovna. Such a great character in history.

I see that Princess Marie of Denmark is wearing a new interesting gold brooch with semi precious stones at the ends. Worn to the 350th anniversary of the Supreme Court in Denmark. Would love to know if it is real or a costume jewel. Wonder who gave it to her. With her recent birthday, perhaps she received it then.
cheers :wavey:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1297776486|2852229 said:
What nice pictures, Bobby! Real family photos. Does anyone know anything about the GD's earrings here? Would they be real? Very noticeable ones. Can't decide if I like them or not.

--- Laurie

P.S. I know how you felt about your dog, Bobby -- I did the same when mine had surgery. Certainly you worry, but the benefits far outweigh the risks, especially when your child has a handicap that can be corrected so well & growing up w/it is a burden. Possibly they had a hard time having a child & are extra protective, but for educated & prosperous people, it still stuns me. Jmo.

You're welcome, Laurie!
As far as I know, the Grand Duchess has worn the earrings only once - at the Silver Wedding anniversary gala five years ago. I doubt much is known about them, anyway. To me they look like rose quartz set in gold, possibly with some diamonds. HRH also wore a bracelet that evening.

Re: dogs, kids and anesthesia - Ok, now I really know the Earl and the Countess shouldn't worry and I hope they'll correct their daughter's eyes before she's able to choose herself. I don't know if they had problems having children, but in late 2001 (two years after the wedding) the Countess had an ectopic pregnancy, which, I assume, ended in a miscarriage. A couple of years later Lady Louise was born and in 2007 HRH gave birth to James, Viscount Severn.

Bobby

2554545.jpg

71350115.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
How very nice of you to name yourself after Empress Maria, Princess Dagmar. This woman is certanly my favourite Russian consort (and how much I like her Danish name...).

Yes, I also think Marie wore a new brooch yesterday. It's an interesting one and in a way remindes me of Elizabeth II's Spray brooch from Sri Lanka.
In the evening there was a gala at the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (an art museum), which was attended by The Queen, The Prince Consort, the Crown Prince, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Princess Benedikte. Marie wore her long diamond earrings and the pearl and diamond cluster brooch.

More photos from the evening can be seen here - http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelig... og Marie til festmiddag - se billederne.aspx

Bobby

350yearsSuprimeCourt_Marie.jpg

04_DK_Marie_Glyptoteket.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A photo of Princess Benedikte at the Suprime Court's 350th anniversary - HRH wore her large diamond brooch attaced to a pearl choker, diamond earrings and bracelet:

Bobby

PPE11021477.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Good morning, am home from work suffering from strep throat, on the computer. At dianajewels.net i saw a diamond and sapphire tassel necklace worn by Diana. This is a very interesting website does any know anything about this particular necklace that can be converted to two bracelets or any of the ruby jewelery not seen as often. Also does anyone have a photo of the emerald art deco set Charles gave Diana as a wedding gift. Heard that Diana did not care for it so she did not wear it in public is that true? Thanks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Laurensmama, poor baby, hope you're feeling better! Strep is no fun. I recommend hot toddies -- they fix up everything that ails anyone!

The emerald art deco necklace was Queen Mary's; QEII gave it to Diana when she married P. Charles. She did wear it fairly often; I doubt she disliked it, never read that. More to follow....

GW201H378.png

di617.jpg

Heathertowie

Rough_Rock
Hello all

There is a daisy brooch on the Georg Jensen website - with diamonds - that retails at 5895 british pounds. I guess that is the one that Dagmar is referring to. I am a great fan of the Danish Royal Family, have old friends in Denmark who have an enviable collection of books about their Royal family - some of the books are very old and I would just love to have them if only for the pictures of jewels! I have seen the Danish Crown jewels in Rosenborg - WOW!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The diamond & sapphire tassel -- the pic you found is probably this one; I couldn't come up with another of her wearing this necklace. Interesting question. I don't recall seeing this before. Don't know if she owned it or if it was borrowed from a jeweler, perhaps, as she did with the giant amethyst cross from Garrard and the Collingwood necklace & earrings. Anybody else know more about this?

0000301805-003.jpg

19851114holaxk5.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Diana didn't wear rubies a lot. She had the ruby tassel necklace and her gorgeous many-strand pearl choker w/diamond & ruby spacers, and in the picture of her in the red dress arriving at the Venice Biennale, she has on a beautiful ruby necklace that I haven't seen before or since. Borrowed, anyone? I think she had ruby drop earrings, or ruby drops for diamond earrings too, don't have photos of them.

--- Laurie

0000307940-011.jpg

GW232H291.jpg

micas.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
If I can just say - going back to the photo of Princess Benedikte. The large diamond brooch worn on the pearl choker was an 18th birthday gift to Benedikte from her father King Frederick IX. It is a favourite jewel of hers. She has some really lovley pieces.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results