color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Josefine said:
some of letitzias jewllery

Thank you, Josefine, for posting these wonedfull panels with jewels and tiaras. Would you please post the original photos of the briollete earrings (2nd row, middle) and the sapphire/pearl necklace (pre-wedding gala; 2nd row, last). I've never seen so close photos of these jewels so far. Thanks in advance!

And another question - is itknown where did the pearl and sapphire necklace that Letizia wore at her pre-wedding came from? Has she worn it after that?

Bobby

i have not seved the photos but give me some time and i will try to find them again

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
alexander1917 said:
it was worn by
Queen Mary
Queen Elizabeth the Queenmother in South Africa 1947
Duchess of Cornwall
is this the best photo of Queen mother there is with this tiara?
to bad

how many tiaras has camilla worn? 2?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds said:
Thank you so much for continuing to post photos of these wonderful jewels.

I have a question! The Durbar Tiara appears to have been recently modified. In old pictures it has gemstones protruding from the top - now it's naked. Does anybody know why, what the gems were (Emeralds?) and what happened to them?

Hi LD! You're correct - the emerald spikes on top of the Delhi Durbar diedeme were removed, but defenitely not in recent years. It is my understanding that it was an all-diamond one from the very begining, but could also be worn with emerald spikes when required (as at the Delhi Durbar when it made it's debut). Queen Mary has also worn it with the Cullinans III (spike) & IV (instead of the central diamond element), but it was not a successful combo IMO. The 5 emeralds later were adapted (with 10 more) to be worn as pendants on the Vladimir tiara, instead of the original pearl drops. And the large diamonds re-joined as a brooch

A more serious alternation was made by Queen Elizabth (later The Queen Mother) when she had the top diamond bands removed. And perhaps it has been...erm... devided in two... to make it more tiara-like and easier to wear. I really hope I'll be proven wrong in due time.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine, this is yet another nice panel, this time of Norwegian head ornaments. Here's another aigrette in Princess Astrid's possesion that you can add.

Regards,
Bobby

atiara16b.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Josefine, this is yet another nice panel, this time of Norwegian head ornaments. Here's another aigrette in Princess Astrid's possesion that you can add.

Regards,
Bobby

Hi Bobby! :wavey:

Who are those head ornaments of?

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine, take your time. I'm not in a hurry, but would really like to see a closer photo of Leti's jewels, esp that necklace.

Josefine said:
to bad

Camilla has worn 3 tiaras so far - her own tiara (a Shand heirloom), the Durbar and the Honeycomb.

This is the best photo of QEQM with the Delhi Dubar I have. A bit blurry but closer than Alexander's.

durbarqeqmsasv.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
loriken214 said:
Hi Bobby! :wavey:

Who are those head ornaments of?

Lori

Hi Lori! As I wrote, the wearer (and I'd assume the owner) of this aigrette is Princess Astrid of Norway. She is the elder sister of King Harald V and the daughter of King Olav V and Crown Princess Märtha (nee Princess of Sweden). I have no idea what the head ornament's provenance is. I can only guess that it's made of rubies and diamonds, like her other jewelllery on the photo.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
A more serious alternation was made by Queen Elizabth (later The Queen Mother) when she had the top diamond bands removed. And perhaps it has been...erm... devided in two... to make it more tiara-like and easier to wear. I really hope I'll be proven wrong in due time.

Bobby

I think it has had massive changes. Look at the second picture of the Dehli Durbar... it looks like a complete circle. But when Camilla has worn it it only looks like the front half of the tiara is used (first picture).

delidurbartiara22ab.gif

delhidurbartiaracamilla22a.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
laurensmama said:
So got to wondering, who has the Teck Necklace now? Was it Princess Margaret's property, which reverted back to the Queen, does her son/daughter have it? Or was it owned by QEII and loaned to the Princess? Thanks

The only thing I do know is that the Teck necklace was not in the big auction a few years ago. The Politmore tiara was, but the Papryus Tiara, Snowdon floral, and the Teck necklace were not listed. So I think it is safe to assume it is still with family somewhere. Whether they are with David Linely or Sarah Chatto (Princess Margaret's children), or back with the Queen I don't know.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I think it's fair to say that in the pictures of the first two women, the tiara is more vertical, and in the picture of Camilla, it's relatively tilting backwards.

To me, it looks better worn more vertically. It seems more in keeping with the grandeur of the piece.

Edit: I'm referring to Josephine's picture on page 228.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Josefine, take your time. I'm not in a hurry, but would really like to see a closer photo of Leti's jewels, esp that necklace.

Josefine said:
to bad

Camilla has worn 3 tiaras so far - her own tiara (a Shand heirloom), the Durbar and the Honeycomb.

This is the best photo of QEQM with the Delhi Dubar I have. A bit blurry but closer than Alexander's.

When I remember right there are only thos 2 pics of the South Africa opening of Parliamant 1947. the second was lost in my pc...:)

and yes you're right she wore sofar 3 tiaras.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny said:
I think it's fair to say that in the pictures of the first two women, the tiara is more vertical, and in the picture of Camilla, it's relatively tilting backwards.

To me, it looks better worn more vertically. It seems more in keeping with the grandeur of the piece.

I'm not sure, Danny. It's hard to tell, but I kind of lean toward its being at least flexible, but probably fixed so part of it can be worn as a tiara. I looked for pics of Camilla that showed it from side or rear but no luck so far, will keep trying. It's so high all the way around that it would not stretch enough if tilted & also would squish the back of her hair like crazy. I'm repeating Josefine's pics & another I found, see what you think:

Camilladurbar4.jpg

MaryDurbar1.jpg

QEQMdurbar2.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds said:

I have a question! The Durbar Tiara appears to have been recently modified. In old pictures it has gemstones protruding from the top - now it's naked. Does anybody know why, what the gems were (Emeralds?) and what happened to them?

yes, they were emeralds, and after the 1920's buying of Grandduchess Vladimir tiara removed. so the tiara could be worn with emeralds or the pearl drops

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
LovingDiamonds said:

Hi LD! You're correct - the emerald spikes on top of the Delhi Durbar diedeme were removed, but defenitely not in recent years. It is my understanding that it was an all-diamond one from the very begining, but could also be worn with emerald spikes when required (as at the Delhi Durbar when it made it's debut). Queen Mary has also worn it with the Cullinans III (spike) & IV (instead of the central diamond element), but it was not a successful combo IMO. The 5 emeralds later were adapted (with 10 more) to be worn as pendants on the Vladimir tiara, instead of the original pearl drops. And the large diamonds re-joined as a brooch

Bobby

in the V & A museum exhibition (2002) the Dehli Durbar Tiara was exhibited as a complete crown. see pics by Munn (exhibition catalouge)

it's may possible that it could parted into 2 parts. maybe this kind of demount is from older date. when comparing other items (stomacher, necklaces) and the many ways how QM wore them.

or it was a alteration/demounting to make it more wearable for the DoC. (she wore it only once, and I never saw a pic/vid from side or back)
In one biography about Queen Elizabeth tQM, she complained about the very heavy weight of this tiara.
I could not remember to see her wearing this item exept for the SA visit.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Alexander, you're absolutely correct! Queen Mary was very creative when it came to jewellery and it possible that the DD tiara could be divided in two from the beginning. But in the same time (and as you say) this alternation may've been done between the 2002 exhibition and the State Banquet in 2005, especially for Camilla's use. If so, I do hope that two parts would be re-joined some day and this masterpiece will be worn in it's full splendour again.

Meanwhile, here's a video from the SB for King Harald V and Queen Sonja in 2005. There's a side view of Camilla and the tiara at the end of the video. I think it clearly shows that the DD has been shortened - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtvzqZiuhoY

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
laurensmama said:
So got to wondering, who has the Teck Necklace now? Was it Princess Margaret's property, which reverted back to the Queen, does her son/daughter have it? Or was it owned by QEII and loaned to the Princess? Thanks

The only thing I do know is that the Teck necklace was not in the big auction a few years ago. The Politmore tiara was, but the Papryus Tiara, Snowdon floral, and the Teck necklace were not listed. So I think it is safe to assume it is still with family somewhere. Whether they are with David Linely or Sarah Chatto (Princess Margaret's children), or back with the Queen I don't know.

I hope they are with The Queen now, which would mean that these jewels (safe for the Snowdon tiara) were only on loan from The Queen Mother. After all, the Papryus tiara, the Teck necklace/tiara and the turquoise parure were all hers (QEQM's) at a time. I'd like to see them reapear, along with the scroll tiara, on a future Princess William and/or Henry of Wales.
BTW, guys, what do you think the next tiara event the Snowdon children will attend? The Diamond Jubilee in 2012 or a charitable ball? It would be interesting to see what jewels they will wear...

Bobby

dianab

Rough_Rock
Wedding of Archduchess Sofia of Habsburg & Prince Mariano Hugo zu Windisch-Graetz in 1990

removingtheveil2gx.jpg

askspermis1fm.jpg

rings0mn.jpg

chapel7kj.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
The wedding took place in Saint Mary Church in Salzburg. Her wedding gown was in silk “duchess” designed by Valentino and with a diamond tiara that her mother took at her own wedding and belonged to Princess Elizabeth of Greece.

24ee.jpg

33dy.jpg

46qa.jpg

bridewithfather4yk.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:
prince.of.preslav said:

Bobby

in the V & A museum exhibition (2002) the Dehli Durbar Tiara was exhibited as a complete crown. see pics by Munn (exhibition catalouge)

it's may possible that it could parted into 2 parts. maybe this kind of demount is from older date. when comparing other items (stomacher, necklaces) and the many ways how QM wore them.

or it was a alteration/demounting to make it more wearable for the DoC. (she wore it only once, and I never saw a pic/vid from side or back)
In one biography about Queen Elizabeth tQM, she complained about the very heavy weight of this tiara.
I could not remember to see her wearing this item exept for the SA visit.

Thanks for the video of the Norway visit to Britain. Fun to see everyone all dressed up & sparkly, in motion. On my monitor it wasn't clear enough to see how the DD exactly looked. But it is bound to have been created originally with some way to modify its circumference, don't you think? Queen Mary was ingenious & practical w/ jewelry & knew it would be used by succeeding queen-empresses whose heads might be different sizes.

I'll bet the rent it can be split in 2 & put back together undetectably -- like a necklace that becomes bracelets or brooches. QEQM might have done that or Mary when she had it made, or maybe it was even done for Camilla. Doubt very much the modification into a half-circle tiara is permanent -- it's too iconic & historic a piece. In the V&A photo of it whole, it's assembled but probably could be disassembled easily. So much royal jewelry has that capability.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:
wasn't the first tiara (pic of Maud) stolen some years ago?
was it rediscoverd or was a copy made?

Yes, the original wedding gift tiara was stolen in 1995, alng with some other jewellery of the Noryegian royal family. As a compensation to the royal family, Gerrard's, former Crown Jewellers, made a copy of the tiara. The new version has a detachable central ornament and a second, smaller setting is now available (Martha Louise's wedding, Queen Sonja at Margrethe II's bd party, MM at the Swedish wedding).

Here are two articles from the time of the robbery: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/tiara-owned-by-norways-queen-taken-in-raid-1571841.html, http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-02-06/news/9502070018_1_tiara-queen-sonja-king-edward-vii

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to say that Queen Sonja was saddened by the loss of the tiara as it was a favourite of hers. Luckily a copy was made. The only visible differences I see is the positioning of the two upright pearls in the center.

Norway's Queen wearing the original:

stiara3f.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today after searching for photos of Princess Letizia's necklace at her pre-wedding gala (alas w/out success), I found this photos of Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and HGD Guillaume. Whiat I found interesting are the Grand Duchess' jewels. She seems to be wearing the emerald earrings and bracelet she recently wore at Queen Margrethe's birthday (theatre gala) and the State Visit to Portugal (last week). In addition to these jewels HRH is wearing the smaller of the Congo diamond necklaces of her m-i-l Josephine Charlotte and an emerlad/diamond bracelet. And here come my questions - when did the Congo necklaces came in MT's possesion? Are they actually hers or just on loan from GDss JC? And is it possible that the bracelet on her right wrist is Queen Astrid's emerald and diamond choker/bracelet?
Anyone wants to share his/her thoughts and knowledge (or even better photos)?

ETA - slightly bigger photo here - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52115299/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library and http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/50884166/AFP

50884166.jpg

52115299.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results