clarity

Royal Jewels

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 4:46:00 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Date: 6/19/2010 4:51:57 PM

Author: shadowed_rain

Alas, it''s a mistake by the press (surprise?
1.gif
)...the Connaught tiara is a part of the Bernadotte foundation, so it doesn''t specifically ''belong'' to anyone. Obviously, certain tiaras are associated with different members (i.e. the Brangança tiara is reserved for the queen, the Baden fringe tiara is associated with HRH Victoria, the Carl Gustav fringe tiara of Silvia''s is associated with HRH Madeleine, etc.), but they''re pooled into one foundation to preserve the pieces together.

There is so much glitter that I can''t keep up with it all...I''m so thrilled that we had so many sparkling surprises: the Connaught tiara for the first time on Madeleine, the smaller version of Queen Maude''s pearl tiara on Mette-Merit for the first time, the amethyst tiara on Märtha-Louise, the list goes on!

After I''m off work later this evening, I''ll post some supplemental pictures from the wedding. Happy watching, all!
30.gif

Shadowed Rain, I always believed (and still believe) that the Connaught and the Cameo tiaras are the personal property of The King and (yet) not part of the foundation. Both tiaras were presents to Princess Sibylla on the occasion of her marriage to Prince Gustav Adolf. The Connaught from the groom and the Cameo parure from Prince Eugen, great-uncle of the groom. When Sibylla died in 1972 both tiaras were inherited by The King (then still Crown Prince) and since then only five times someone other than The Queen has worn the diamond tiara and the Cameo tiara has only been worn by others at weddings (2-3 times).

Bobby

Hi Bobby (and please, feel free to call me Rachel
1.gif
)! As far as I''ve understood, the family pieces that we see on the Swedish Royal family are a part of the Bernadotte foundation. This does exclude tiaras that are held in personal property, such as Princess Christina''s personal tiara, as well as Princess Lilian''s laurel tiara. I can''t back this up 100%, so it''s entirely possible that the Connaught tiara is owned separately, as you say.

Hmmm...perhaps it''s a good question to ask on the RJWMB...

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Who attended from the USA?

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 1:36:03 AM

1.gif
)! As far as I've understood, the family pieces that we see on the Swedish Royal family are a part of the Bernadotte foundation. This does exclude tiaras that are held in personal property, such as Princess Christina's personal tiara, as well as Princess Lilian's laurel tiara. I can't back this up 100%, so it's entirely possible that the Connaught tiara is owned separately, as you say.

Hmmm...perhaps it's a good question to ask on the RJWMB...

Hi Rachel!

As you say some of the jewels that adorn the Swedish royals are part of foundations, some are not. The Connaught tiara and the Cameo parure are the personal property of King Carl XVI Gustaf.

Here's an intersting article that confirms what I'm saying - Trond Norén Isaksen: Royal jewels: Princess Sibylla's tiara

PS: Do you have a registration on RJWMB? Would you please ask that question there? Or maybe Josefine can help us...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 5:09:14 AM
Author: loriken214
Who attended from the USA?

Lori

Most Europen monarchies (and one Asian) were represented from their royals, two republics by their Presidents and their spouses. The Corps Diplomatique also attended (in the Church at least). Maybe the US Ambasador to Sweden was also present. If you really want to know, you can ask the embassy in Stockholm or check the guestlist for his/her name (Link).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Update - here''s what I found of royalcourt.se: H.E. the Ambassador Matthew W. Barzun, USA, and Mrs Brooke Barzun

Hope you''re happy now!
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 6:07:48 PM
Author: JewelFreak
What fun to have another princess with a wonderful sense of style to watch.

A few pictures of Charlene Wittstock''s jewels, this one described as a diamond & bead collar -- no idea what the clasp is made of, any ideas, anyone?

That''s a nice necklace. A combination of modern and classical design (3 row pearls). I wish we had other, clearer, photos.
The clasp - what about mother-of-pearl? White jade (mentioned before) looks possible too.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
[/quote]

That''s a nice necklace. A combination of modern and classical design (3 row pearls). I wish we had other, clearer, photos.

The clasp - what about mother-of-pearl? White jade (mentioned before) looks possible too.

Bobby[/quote]

Wish there were better photos too, Bobby -- I''m sure there''ll be many more soon! Mother of pearl is a possibility -- it''s hard to tell in that pic but looks like it''s translucent, whatever it is; you can see the necklace underneath it. Maybe it''s an enhancer.

gls

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to quickly hijack to say that I was so happy to see Crown Princess Victoria marry her sweetheart, I have never in my life seen such a radiant and blissfully happy couple!! I am glad they stuck it out to be with each other despite all the tension.
Now that is what I call a fairytale!

I am also excited to hear that Prince Albert is engaged too! He truly deserves to be happy

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today The Queen attended the All England tennis championships at Wimbledon for the first time in 33 years! It seems this brooch is HM''s new favourite:

102365214.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Note how much The Duke of Kent resembles his first cousin once removed The Duke of Edinburgh. I guess it's a mix of Windsor and Glücksburg genes.

Photo:

102369154.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 8:47:21 AM
Date: 6/24/2010 1:36:03 AM

1.gif
)! As far as I''ve understood, the family pieces that we see on the Swedish Royal family are a part of the Bernadotte foundation. This does exclude tiaras that are held in personal property, such as Princess Christina''s personal tiara, as well as Princess Lilian''s laurel tiara. I can''t back this up 100%, so it''s entirely possible that the Connaught tiara is owned separately, as you say.

Hmmm...perhaps it''s a good question to ask on the RJWMB...

Hi Rachel!

As you say some of the jewels that adorn the Swedish royals are part of foundations, some are not. The Connaught tiara and the Cameo parure are the personal property of King Carl XVI Gustaf.

Here''s an intersting article that confirms what I''m saying - Trond Norén Isaksen: Royal jewels: Princess Sibylla''s tiara

PS: Do you have a registration on RJWMB? Would you please ask that question there? Or maybe Josefine can help us...

Bobby

Good to know. I do indeed have a membership there, and will certainly post the question on there later. Josefine also has a membership there, so I hope she sees on here or there
9.gif

I am curious to find out what is in fact a part of the Bernadotte Foundation. Also interesting to see what will happen with the Cameo parure--if it''s handed down from King/Queen to the next monarch; and same with the Connaught tiara, if it''s personal property, or if it will be committed to the Bernadotte Foundation someday.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, Rachel, it's nice to know that another poster here has a registration on RJWMB. Please ask that! I'd also like to know what's part of the foundation and what isn't.

As far as I know, jewels like the Vasa earrings, the Pink topaz and the emerald demi-parures, the Sapphire parure, tha Nine prong (or Queen Sofia's) tiara, the Baden fringe, the diamond collet necklaces and the Vasa diamond, the Amethyst parure, the Cut-steel parure, the various large and the (many) small pearl/diamond brooches, the pearls from Marshal Bernadotte and Queen Josefine's pearl drop earrings, the pearl choker of Queen Victoria (now worn by Madeleine), QV's sapphire and pearl necklace that Made wore at the wedding and the earrings, of course the Braganza tiara and the rest of the Brazilian inheritance, the diamond devant-de-corsage of Queen Josefine (now part of a necklace), etc are all part of a Bernadotte foundation.

The faith of the King's tiaras - I do hope that these jewels will become part of the F in due time. I wouldn't like to see the Cameo parure and the Cannough tiara leaving the main-line of the family. I just remembered that The King has presumably bought back the ruby tiara of CP Margareta, wedding present from the British King & Queen. I think it's safe to say that it also is part of the King's personal collection. Also it's rumoured that the Aquamarine tiara (or rather parure, as seen on photos from the wedding) has also been bought from Princess Margareta, Mrs. Ambler. Perhaps with the intention of making these part of the F?
Of course The Queen also ouns a diamond tiara (a very beautiful one, IMO) and I think it's likely that Princess Madeleine will inherit it some day.

Recently Boris from RJWMB has confirmed that the F has grown in recent times and I'm inclined to believe that he meant Princess Lilian's jewels... Maybe the ones from CPss Margareta and Prince Bertil...

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
So is it too early to begin guessing what tiara, if any, the future Princess Charlene will wear at her wedding?

If any: Princess Grace didn''t wear a tiara at her wedding to Prince Ranier. I don''t think Caroline or Stephanie wore tiaras at any of their weddings either (please correct me if I''m wrong).

First Choice: Princess Charlotte''s diamond and pearl Cartier tiara. I think this would be a perfect wedding tiara! Caroline is wearing it in the picture.

Second choice: Princess Charlotte''s Russian fringe. Caroline is wearing it as a necklace here.

monacotiarascaroline2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Princess Charlotte wearing the fringe as a tiara, low on the forehead.

Both of these tiara''s are with Princess Caroline. She seems to get along with Charlene, so I don''t see it as impossible Caroline would loan either tiara for the wedding.

charlottedemonacotiara2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the Van Cleef tiara that belonged to Princess Grace. It hasn''t been seen in a really long time. I don''t know if it is even still in the family! This wouldn''t make a bad wedding tiara, but I like the other two better.

gracevancleeftiara2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a shot from Life Magazine of Princess Grace wearing her Ruby tiara. Again, hasn''t been seen in a long time and I don''t know if it is even still in the family.

gracecoverlife2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I guess there is yet another option: perhaps Albert will buy her a brand new one as a wedding present?

Here''s a nice one from Mikimoto with matching earrings that might do the trick!

bridal_eternity01_0609.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 9:34:26 AM
Author: LadyMaria
Here is a shot from Life Magazine of Princess Grace wearing her Ruby tiara. Again, hasn''t been seen in a long time and I don''t know if it is even still in the family.

Wrong picture...not rubies...can''t find my picture of the ruby tiara.

I''m sure someone else has it!
5.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 9:33:33 AM
Here is the Van Cleef tiara that belonged to Princess Grace. It hasn''t been seen in a really long time. I don''t know if it is even still in the family! This wouldn''t make a bad wedding tiara, but I like the other two better.

Well, it''s been part of an exhibition along with other jewels from Princess Grace and the fringe tiara from Princess Charlotte (see photo), so I would''t be surprised if they still own it. And don''t forget that the Grimaldis are quite rich.

Here''s the photo:

graces1023965_088bro.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Prince has said in an interview that the wedding is going to be next summer. I don''t know about the dress code, but Princess Carioline''s first pre-wedding gala (with Philippe Junot) was white tie. So we can hope at least one tiara event.

Here''s a photo of Princess Grace wearing her ruby tiara, a wedding present from the Société des Bains de Mer. It can be worn as a necklace of a set of three brooches.

The photo:

societedesbainsdemerrubytiaramaridj.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here's a photo of Princess Grace's small scroll tiara (Cartier?). I, however, think that wearing a tiara from her late mothe-in-low wouldn't be appropriate given the fate of Princess Grace. I'd really like to see Charlene wearing the fringe as tiara with her veil.

Bobby

sbm1.JPG

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 11:23:54 AM

Here''s a photo of Princess Grace wearing her ruby tiara, a wedding present from the Société des Bains de Mer. It can be worn as a necklace of a set of three brooches.

I knew you would save me Bobby!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 11:26:56 AM
Here''s a photo of Princess Grace''s small scroll tiara (Cartier?). I, however, think that wearing a tiara from her late mothe-in-low wouldn''t be appropriate given the fate of Princess Grace.

Bobby

Do you mean just for wedding, or at any time? If you don''t think any of the tiaras from Princess Grace should ever be worn again, where would they go? I would hate to think of those lovely jewels never being worn again.

So along those same lines, do you think it would not be appropriate for a future Spencer bride to wear the Spencer tiara given the fate of Diana Spencer? Or the Cambridge Lover''s Knot not being worn again for the same reason?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I mean just for the wedding. And of course it would raise much comparison with the late Princess from the very start. She'd better go for something else. Later she'll have the possibility to wear her mother-in-law's jewels.

You certanly have a point, MJ! Never tought of that. I think that future Spencer brides will wear the family tiara, also used by the late Diana, Princess of Wales. And now also the wedding gift tiaras of Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden are used by her descendants and their wives. Some jewels from Queen Astrid of Belgium are also regularly used by the current Queen.

Sure I didn't think much before posting... But also don't forget that the Spencer tiara is a famuly heirloom and was used on loan from Earl Spencer as a tribute to her ancestors, whears the (rater small) Monegasque tiaras were created and worn exclusively by Princess Grace. I just don't want to see her successor wearing them at her wedding...

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
It is interesting to think how much time needs to pass before it would be "appropriate" to wear the jewels of a deceased ancestor, especially one who died under tragic circumstances. Look how long it took for the Dehli Durbar tiara to resurface again.

Along the same lines with titles...I once read an article that mentioned the possibility of Prince Edward being created Duke of Windsor at his marriage, or Prince Harry getting this title in the future ( see http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/the-laird-othistle/142-a-dukedom-for-harry it is an interesting read). It mentions that we may have to have a bit more time before that title will lose the negative connotations of the abdication.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s an interesting tidbit I just found....here is a diamond and pearl tiara that was just sold at auction in May. The lot said it was from a "princely family."

I wonder what family? I wonder who bought it? I think it would make a beautiful wedding present and tiara!

GE1002-364-lr-1.jpeg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 6:26:51 PM
Here''s an interesting tidbit I just found....here is a diamond and pearl tiara that was just sold at auction in May. The lot said it was from a ''princely family.''

I wonder what family? I wonder who bought it? I think it would make a beautiful wedding present and tiara!

I wonder if this is from a family in a country where nobility and royalty no longer has a legal recognition, i.e. Germany. Its is a beautiful piece.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 6:26:51 PM
Here''s an interesting tidbit I just found....here is a diamond and pearl tiara that was just sold at auction in May. The lot said it was from a ''princely family.''

It''s a very beautiful and delicate tiara. IIRC, it was sold by Sotheby''s along with other nice jewels (among them another pearl and diamond tiara). I hoped Daniel has bought it for Victoria, as the Bernadottes don''t have a pearl tiara anymore.

In the case of tiara, I''d asy that princely family means a nobel family from Italy or Germany with a princely title (like the princes Ruffo di Calabria, the prince de la Torre e Tasso/Thurn & Txis, etc).

This particular one can be worn in a variety of ways - as a big or small tiara or a necklace.
Here''s the necklace form:

GE1002-364-lr-2.jpeg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the Delhi Durbar, I think that there were other reasons for it''s staying in the vault. Remeber that this dideme was created for the Durbar/Coronation of George V and Queen Mary as Imperor and Empress of India. Later on it was given to Queen Elizabeth and she wore it at least once (I have an interesting photo from that occasion). QEQM was the last Empress of India and perhaps she felt it was inappropriate to wear it after the end of the monarchy in India. This diademe now (IMO at least) reperesents the past of the Windsors/SCG''s/Hanoverians as colonizatorsand is not the most appropriate jewel to wear constantly. Of course it might have been The Queen Mother''s wish not to wear it more often for whatever other reason. Obviously it was the right choice for the new Duchess of Cornwall to wear it during the State Banquet for the Norwegian King and his family in 2005, the only European royal state visit Camilla has attended.

Prince Henry''s title - Please not the Duke of Windsor title! I don''t think Britain is ready for another DoW and I hope Henry won''t betray Britain and the British people the way Edward VIII did. Maybe, just maybe, shall the PoW be skipped as King or abdicate in favour of his elder son, maybe then they can create him DoW - as the most senior representative and head of the royal house, as patriarch.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results