shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal blue sapphire hunt

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
Ladies and gentlemen

First time posted and just joined price scope.
I unfortunately lost my original engagement ring and had some time to mourn the loss. But now I'd like a refund placement with a royal blue sapphire
I'm looking for a royal blue sapphire either Ceylon or if anyone has suggestions it would be most appreciated.
I am hoping for either a brilliant cut or a radiant cut stone. Over 2ct. I've done some research on my own and the pricing is all over the place and I'm hoping you guys can help me.
Please if anyone can point me in the right direction without breaking the bank or if they have suggestions for something similar I am open to it.
Thank you so much in advance!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’ll be helpful if you can share the minimum measurement in mm and budget.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also OP, please post a few photos of what you consider "royal blue"

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
Screenshot_20180514-064300_Chrome.jpg I think like this? I'm. Open to. Other colors too like the cornflower ones. I want it to be very shiny and sparkly

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure of measurements. But between 2.5to 4ct

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ask in measurement because carat weight varies due to cut. A 2 and 3 ct could look the same size face up.

Does treatment matter? I’m going to guess close to a 10K budget?

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
Screenshot_20180527-080722_Chrome.jpg I think this is my dream Screenshot_20180527-080722_Chrome.jpg

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the reply. I'm honestly not even sure what the budget should be. Because I've seen anything from 1000 to 30000 usd
I'm hoping to get the best bang for the buck of course. Perhaps around 2000-5000. It really depends what I'm getting for it. If that makes any sense?
Thanks again

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your ring!

I gave up on my cert'ed "royal blue" hunt. I wanted a small one just to benchmark and could never quite pull the trigger. Most vendor-called royal blues on line are not even close -- they are just blue or maybe what a non-gem person would call a bright blue, imo. And they can be quite dark. I guess for overall everyday wearability, I lean more toward the cornflower-ish blues.

The first stone is unappealing, imo. Obviously cut to save weight and include that big color-free northeast corner. I don't think you will touch a well-cut true royal blue in that size at your preferred price range...BUT you could find a very pretty stone. The second stone is pretty and from a PS-favored vendor, but that color has just a bit of teal to it, imo. Nothing wrong with that. Do you want a beautiful ring or an exact duplicate?

EDIT: I never buy anything online that has exclamation points in the description!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out Pearlman's - they have quite a few blue sapphire radiants and rounds in your carat weight range and (perhaps) color preference ... if you find any that appeal to you, you can email them and ask for additional photos/videos. http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/ge...r=blue&minct=2.4&maxct=&min=&max=&sku=&page=3
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought the Search function on Pearlman's website is hooked into the inventory database maintained by Gem 2000, a wholesaler in Ohio:
https://gem2000.com
So I don't know how readily Pearlman's can provide additional pics or a video since in most instances I think they have to "call in" the stone(s) from Gem 2000.

We consumers can do searches on the Gem 2000 site, but we can't see the "to the trade" prices. The upside is that if you already have a jeweler in mind who will fashion the ring, they probably are eligible to get an account with Gem 2000, so you wouldn't have to rely on Pearlman's. That said, Pearlman's has a good reputation here on PS & does custom work, so that could be another way of doing "one stop shopping."

P.S. An unfortunate number of sapphires on Gem 2000 don't already have lab reports.

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
ok guys I'VE spent a whole day researching and contacting famous people on price scope and i am MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER!
do I get a stone. find a cutter. than a jeweler to set it?
i can sway on the 'royal blue' part as long as it's something i like.
I just want a beautiful blue sapphire ring that's .. special? you know
I sa wsome of jeff white's cuts and they're amazing
but the more i research the more confused im getting
Please help!:eek2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always find the stone first. Find a cut stone that you love. Start with just looking at stones and narrow your selection to a few you like. Any shapes that you don't like? Any shapes you love? What spread in mm? Then, post them here for other's opinions. It may take a bit and some back and forth. Sapphires an darken a bit when set, so shoot just a tiny bit lighter unless you find a precision cut stone (they don't tend to darken as much IMHO).

Once you have your sapphire selected, then you can look for a setting. Depending on the size of the stone in mm, you may be able to fit it in a stock setting or you may need a custom one.

(you'd only need a cutter if you could not find your perfect stone and wanted a custom cut stone).

A few to ponder.
https://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-35-carat-royal-blue-montana-sapphire-heated/:love:
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p362/2.55_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jun13BSapphirePage.htm:love:

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
and also i've been on mastercut gems. why is everything so cheap?? i know i can just find a rock an call it a day but im sucked in now. im so interested in this industry and how it works. i'have never been been more confused in my life and im a certified accountant

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
I always find the stone first. Find a cut stone that you love. Start with just looking at stones and narrow your selection to a few you like. Any shapes that you don't like? Any shapes you love? What spread in mm? Then, post them here for other's opinions. It may take a bit and some back and forth. Sapphires an darken a bit when set, so shoot just a tiny bit lighter unless you find a precision cut stone (they don't tend to darken as much IMHO).

Once you have your sapphire selected, then you can look for a setting. Depending on the size of the stone in mm, you may be able to fit it in a stock setting or you may need a custom one.

(you'd only need a cutter if you could not find your perfect stone and wanted a custom cut stone).

A few to ponder.
https://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-35-carat-royal-blue-montana-sapphire-heated/:love:
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p362/2.55_ct_Blue_Sapphire.html
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jun13BSapphirePage.htm:love:

thank you i've been on their sites. haven't found the perfect one just yet...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, how long can you wait?
I’m sure there are vendors (gem cutters) who can, with enough time, source a suitable rough and cut it exactly how your prefer but obviously you aren’t going to “see” the resultant gem until after they’ve found the rough AND cut it. Weeks ? Monrths?
So you either need to choose a gem cutter to source you the rough and then cut it or buy an already cut sapphire that is “out there”.
Then you need a ring mount and jeweller to set the sapphire.
So this could be 2, 3 or even 4 separate events ie the gem cut for you / bought as a cut gem,/ the purchase or making of the ring mount / and the actual setting of the gem.
As other people have said, the “royal blue” colour can look dark in some lighting conditions and don’t “sparkle” as much as a lighter shade blue. Also “silk and natural inclusions” can make the colour tone strong (look at Burmese sapphires) but they sparkle less.
Round is also a harder shape to source as size increases, they seem to prefer oval or radiant shape over round.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and also i've been on mastercut gems. why is everything so cheap?? i know i can just find a rock an call it a day but im sucked in now. im so interested in this industry and how it works. i'have never been been more confused in my life and im a certified accountant

I'm not a vendor or pro....but, there are so many variable from the "desirability" of a color, under-tones, saturation, origin, treatment, cut (native/precision), inclusions, certified or not, price paid by the vendor, how old is the material (sometimes this can make it expensive as it is not available on the market anymore), does the vendor want to get material moving or are they happy to sit on it, etc.

Here's a good guide (though I don't recommend buying from this site for a novice; I have bought from https://www.gemrockauctions.com/stores/sedagems).
https://www.gemrockauctions.com/learn/how-to039s/how-to-buy-sapphires-the-definitive-buying-guide

One thing to keep in mind is that the lighting and photography can make a real difference in the color. Just more variable to manage ;)2

Last edited:

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a vendor or pro....but, there are so many variable from the "desirability" of a color, under-tones, saturation, origin, treatment, cut (native/precision), inclusions, certified or not, price paid by the vendor, how old is the material (sometimes this can make it expensive as it is not available on the market anymore), does the vendor want to get material moving or are they happy to sit on it, etc.

Here's a good guide (thought I don't recommend buying from this site for a novice; I have bought from https://www.gemrockauctions.com/stores/sedagems).
https://www.gemrockauctions.com/learn/how-to039s/how-to-buy-sapphires-the-definitive-buying-guide

One thing to keep in mind is that the lighting and photography can make a real difference in the color. Just more variable to manage ;)2

Thanks for your suggestions love. it does get quite confusing doesnt it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
29856DBB-634E-49D9-BDFF-5C41516054CD.jpeg Have a look at this one with Sedagems. It’s a tad smaller than you want but the colour and cut seem very nice. It’s a lighter shade of blue but it should sparkle.
Looks a lot lighter in their video but I think it’s a case of “too much bright light”
They are legit, I’m an Aussie myself.
Price seems really good at $2,750 USD - I presume it’s heated (most are).

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Some updates, so I've been discussing with my better half and he actually prefers grey sapphires, maybe even the salt and pepper kind, or blue with grey dominant. I am not opposed to that idea at all I think it would be a great ring if it is done the right way and at least opens up more doors for us.

A little history about this and trust me I am absolutely NOT trying to make it a pity party for myself or anything but here is the deal. I was diagnoised with stage 3 colon cancer at the age of 23, luckily I am Canadian so most of the cost was covered, however, I had lots of complications and chemo etc etc so pretty much all of my savings that I started when i was 15 years old and being a hostess all wen to that. I graduated university in a hospital gown. So obviously we did not have a lot of extra money and of course no wedding, we didn't want to accepted from others, weddings wasn't really that big of a deal to us anyway, but I did want a nice ring. I don't believe in the diamond industry so I got a beautiful moissanite ring which came out to be around 4k or so. and unfortunately that was stolen from me. Talk about being the most unlucky lucky girl! So I am cancer free now thank goodness and the most important of course, and luckily I have the most caring best husband in the world who will replace an engagement ring when we can wrangle up some money. But yes we have time, I am not in a rush or anything, but we do want it to be meaningful, something that we pick out and design together, because the moissanite was more just my thing, I picked out everything and he wasn't very involved. We thought we would take this unlucky opportunity and turn it into something special and do it together. Anyway long story short (too late) we will try to keep the cost down but if we see something that really speaks to us we will definitely consider it.

Anyways, does anyone know anything about Blue/Grey Sapphires.. I also saw a photo of Jeff White's Ascher cut and I could NOT get it out of my head, it is sooo beautiful I'll see if I can find the photo of it. But yes now I am all over the place. If you guys have any good suggestions I would be most grateful! Thanks again for listening and letting me rant :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm now thinking, because of your references to grays & grayish-blue, a Montana sapphire could be perfect for you two! E.g.,
https://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-montana?

Heartfelt congratulations on your triumph over cancer -- this ring is indeed super special! Even more so because it's a wonderfully collaborative project.

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
I'm now thinking, because of your references to grays & grayish-blue, a Montana sapphire could be perfect for you two! E.g.,
https://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-montana?

Heartfelt congratulations on your triumph over cancer -- this ring is indeed super special! Even more so because it's a wonderfully collaborative project.

Thanks Molly! Well, basically whenever something bad happens we try and turn it into something good. It's a lot easier to get through life that way!
My dream is literally to have Jeff White custom cut a grey blue sapphire for me, omg i'd be SO happy but I'm pretty sure he is wayyy out of my price range. That man is super talented. But yes I think you're right a montana sapphire may be the solution, I've even been looking at spinels just to keep the options open, and there are a lot of them out there! Some are really quite nice too.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't assume Jeff White is beyond your range. (I'll confess to being sufficiently risk-adverse that I don't foresee myself ever rolling the dice for the commission of a custom cut from rough).

Seems to me that spinels, of any color, are getting harder to come by than several years ago. But for more Montana sapphires, check out Earth's Treasury pages on those:
https://www.earthstreasury.com/product-category/gemstones/sapphire-gemstones/montanasapphire/

Between Earth's Treasury and Gemfix, think you'll get a nice idea of the variety of colorations possible in Montana sapphires.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BA7E2DA8-BDDE-488B-9D59-E118A19EABEC.jpeg 5E88C916-C253-42C7-B7AC-487151A1D557.jpeg Hi again, your story has touched me, so time for some good ole Aussie caring and sharing.
Now the sapphire in the photo is oval, it is a lovely grey blue slight mauve, it has a tiny tiny chip on the girdle and a window. In the photos is looks darker than it really is (I’m the worlds worst photographer!)
It is however a decent size, over 2.7 carats, and it’s price for a woman who has battled stage 3 cancer AND had her beautiful ring stolen is
$0.
Yep, $0.
No catch’s no anything just a lovely sapphire to restore your faith in humanity and tide you over until you can find / afford the absolute perfect sapphire of your dreams.
The truth is I acquired an absolute treasure trove of gems by good fortune, there is no way I can or will ever use or even sell them all, so it’s easy and nice to share.
Growing up I went through tough times and it was other people’s kindness and generosity towards me that made my life happier and easier.
Just passing it on.
I have the Tanzanite melee listing on Loupe Troop so you can contact me via there.
:wavey:

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
BA7E2DA8-BDDE-488B-9D59-E118A19EABEC.jpeg 5E88C916-C253-42C7-B7AC-487151A1D557.jpeg Hi again, your story has touched me, so time for some good ole Aussie caring and sharing.
Now the sapphire in the photo is oval, it is a lovely grey blue slight mauve, it has a tiny tiny chip on the girdle and a window. In the photos is looks darker than it really is (I’m the worlds worst photographer!)
It is however a decent size, over 2.7 carats, and it’s price for a woman who has battled stage 3 cancer AND had her beautiful ring stolen is
$0.
Yep, $0.
No catch’s no anything just a lovely sapphire to restore your faith in humanity and tide you over until you can find / afford the absolute perfect sapphire of your dreams.
The truth is I acquired an absolute treasure trove of gems by good fortune, there is no way I can or will ever use or even sell them all, so it’s easy and nice to share.
Growing up I went through tough times and it was other people’s kindness and generosity towards me that made my life happier and easier.
Just passing it on.
I have the Tanzanite melee listing on Loupe Troop so you can contact me via there.

oh my goodness. no! i cannot that is so incredibly sweet for you to even offer and think of that. that in itself is a beautiful gift. wow i just literally teared up reading this. i def did not share the story lookng for sympathy or anything, im very very fortunate i really am, just wasn't dealt the best cards. I can't accept that my dear you're way too generous omg im going to cry!! Thank you so much for that, I dont have any family except for my husband basically so when stranger show me kindness it really gets me twice as hard. thank you SO much for that it would be amazing but no. i can't possibly accept, it's too generous really. <3

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
wow im still in awe. really just speechless. my husband would be so shocked too. he was born and raised in new york so to see strangers be kind to each other is so rare it's unheard of. im just completely in shock hahah

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
$0.
Yep, $0.
Just passing it on.

I literally just cried for 10 minutes over your kindness. It may be the nicest thing anyone I don't know has ever offered. You are too kind you must be such an Angel. Which is ironic because that's my name. wow. I am just so touched. Thank you Thank you. It would help and I would treasure it for the rest of my life more than you know. But at the same time you really don't have to... I.. oh my gosh. I can't believe it. Sorry I've never been on loupe troop and are you sure?? no... do you have line or whatsapp or something I have to thank you. you just made me feel humanity again like.. wow omy gosh sorry i'm blabbering

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I’m crying.
My dear girl, honestly, the pleasure is mine.
When I bought my first apartment, over 35 years ago, I had nothing except a bed and clothes. I no money left over (I walked to work to save money, I had sold my car, I took a sandwich from home for lunch). Yet I was gifted, from family, friends AND strangers a household of goods. It was really hard to accept these offers ( I felt embarrassed ) but I did and it was great. I had a fridge and a microwave, kettle, toaster and I was even delighted to receive a vacuum cleaner (who would have thought getting given a vacuum cleaner was a great thing !)
And the one thing I learnt about experiencing other people’s kindness and generosity is that I want and like to do it too.
So, the day will come somewhere sometime and you’ll offer your kindness and generosity to make a difference for someone else.
And that’s the way life should be.
Loupe Troop is a website and my listing is under loose coloured gemstone.
:angel:

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
$0.
Yep, $0.
Just passing it on.

Hehe please talk to me. I'm so touched ad happy and my hubby is asleep. I feel like a silly goose all emotional to myself haha

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
Now I’m crying.
My dear girl, honestly, the pleasure is mine.
When I bought my first apartment, over 35 years ago, I had nothing except a bed and clothes. I no money left over (I walked to work to save money, I had sold my car, I took a sandwich from home for lunch). Yet I was gifted, from family, friends AND strangers a household of goods. It was really hard to accept these offers ( I felt embarrassed ) but I did and it was great. I had a fridge and a microwave, kettle, toaster and I was even delighted to receive a vacuum cleaner (who would have thought getting given a vacuum cleaner was a great thing !)
And the one thing I learnt about experiencing other people’s kindness and generosity is that I want and like to do it too.
So, the day will come somewhere sometime and you’ll offer your kindness and generosity to make a difference for someone else.
And that’s the way life should be.
Loupe Troop is a website and my listing is under loose coloured gemstone.
:angel:

Please send me an email I'd love to talk you privately even just for a few minutes. You have no idea how much you just changed my life with an action

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results