shape
carat
color
clarity

Round in an Octagon Halo

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Feel free to throw tomatoes at the screen if you're tired of my setting posts. Or don't read this. But if you do care...I have just found a setting that made my heart skip a beat! From one of Maisie's posts! A round in an octagonal halo! Vintage! Pave! Round yet squarish! Perfection! Yes Chris may have a cow that I'm changing my mind not only on the diamond but the setting too...but this may be it!

Questions though....of course I have questions. For this to work, assuming I'm getting a 1.5 round. What pointers of melee should I aim for in the halo? The shank will be 1.8 mm...should the halo melee be 0.5 mm (I think gypsy's asscher halo is 0.5 mm??) i'd want the halo as tiny as possible.

I'd still want milgrain to match the shank...but no bezel or milgrain around the round.

Like this but with a round and no traps:
image_1327.jpg

Like this but with no gold showing around the round, and no lines in the halo.
image_1328.jpg

End result like this, minus the traps:
image_1329.jpg

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like the round version. I like the original version much better!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Ok I'm going to lay this setting idea to rest. Gypsy's halo adds about 1.3 mm...which would make my 1.5 carat looks over 2 carats! Holy finger coverage!! And not to mention how to deal with the airline without setting the round sky high. Round peg in a square hole!

I will not look at other settings...wrapping this up. Lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Bev K ring! Why not go with that? I think you are wise to go ahead and upgrade the diamond, but are you sure you don't want an OEC if you are choosing and antique style setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's what you need to be looking at not those.

And ERD could do this design for you. And you could do 1 pointers for a 1.3 or 1.5 round center. And with the milgrain and bright cut you are looking at a 2mm halo.

_15538.jpg

58381b.jpg

_15539.jpg

47950_1_0.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Gah!! I love that gypsy!!! Okay should I stick with the 1.3?or will it look better with 1.5?

The halo...point at the top or straight at the top? Im thinking straight but the other one looks nice too.

2 mm halo...isn't that a bit much? Shouldn't I go daintier since I'm doing milgrain?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redroze|1394089166|3628502 said:
Gah!! I love that gypsy!!! Okay should I stick with the 1.3?or will it look better with 1.5?

The halo...point at the top or straight at the top? Im thinking straight but the other one looks nice too.

2 mm halo...isn't that a bit much? Shouldn't I go daintier since I'm doing milgrain?

I'm saying that with the milgrain it's going to be 2mm if you use 1 pointers. You can tell ERD to make the halo 1.8mm and see if they can do that with 1 pointers or if they need to go smaller. Oh, and before you ask, full cuts for the halo. Don't even think about single cuts.

And tell them to dial down the milgrain to superfine, that will make it look much more elegant, and also let the halo be thinner.

As for dainty. The CADs will tell you if you like it, or if you want to go thinner.

Ideally I'd say the 1.5 carat center. BUT... keep in mind a halo is going to run you about 3500. So.. you may not have the budget for that, so in that case, then it's either keep the halo but get the 1.3. Or get the 1.5 and stick to a solitaire.

I think I prefer straight at the top. But either way looks good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Couple more to help you pin down what you want:

http://www.ethanlord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x700/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/s/s/ss1104_1.5ct_tilt.jpg straight top. Which I think looks best.

http://www.solomonbrothers.net/images/1621/146887.jpg Angled halo with a straight top (this is a Ritani).

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b3/ca/06/b3ca0663720091059330c2922a31ca19.jpg This one is a bezel but I like the proportions. If you went with 1/2 pointers in the halo you could get close to this slimness (it would be closer to 1.5mm the halo).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Legacy style has a wide halo. It's part of the design.

But yeah, ask him how dainty he can make it. I would probably not want thinner than 1.6 though.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
That Beverley k one was the original inspiration for my (sold) e ring. Gorgeous. I also LOVE the one gypsy posted with the black background. I love the details on that. Gosh, I can't wait to see what you pick. When it's exactly right, you will probably know it! I

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1394086477|3628480 said:
Here's what you need to be looking at not those.

And ERD could do this design for you. And you could do 1 pointers for a 1.3 or 1.5 round center. And with the milgrain and bright cut you are looking at a 2mm halo.

Gypsy, Love this! I never considered a halo until I saw this ring & can't wait to see what you do, redroze.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
It's addressing what was bugging me about a solitaire. I don't want the halo for finger coverage at this point since I'm going to 1.5, but I feel like the diamond just needs something to define the diamond edges. I like the milgrain bezelled example that Gypsy posted...a nice fine halo like that would be great!!

Nicole Richie's is the closest I can find (I always loved her ring)...only hers has a bevel and an airline which I don't like. http://picturespaintedbythesun.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/nicolerichie_medcurls-copy1.jpg

I'm also afraid to contact Chris. I wonder if he'll charge me for time since I already approved the last setting?? I'll see what he says.

I'm concerned it's going to look too big now. If I go 1.5 carats, that's 7.4 mm, then a very thin halo would add about 1.5-1.6. All of a sudden finger coverage goes to 8.5 to 9 mm! A 2 carat has a spread of 8 mm! Yikes. I don't think it makes sense to go this route anymore.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sooner you call him the better.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redroze|1394111179|3628578 said:
It's addressing what was bugging me about a solitaire. I don't want the halo for finger coverage at this point since I'm going to 1.5, but I feel like the diamond just needs something to define the diamond edges. I like the milgrain bezelled example that Gypsy posted...a nice fine halo like that would be great!!

Nicole Richie's is the closest I can find (I always loved her ring)...only hers has a bevel and an airline which I don't like. http://picturespaintedbythesun.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/nicolerichie_medcurls-copy1.jpg

I'm also afraid to contact Chris. I wonder if he'll charge me for time since I already approved the last setting?? I'll see what he says.

I'm concerned it's going to look too big now. If I go 1.5 carats, that's 7.4 mm, then a very thin halo would add about 1.5-1.6. All of a sudden finger coverage goes to 8.5 to 9 mm! A 2 carat has a spread of 8 mm! Yikes. I don't think it makes sense to go this route anymore.

Hi redroze :wavey:

I've read a lot of your posts, and it seems like you are going back and forth with several designs... I know how it feels to try to decide on a ering setting -- it was difficult for me and then I doubted myself until it was on my finger. :errrr: ;))

If you want something to define the borders of your round, why not just have ERD create a really cool 8-prong vintage-inspired setting with all the milgrain your little heart desires? <-- I love milgrain too, so I get it! :bigsmile: This way (8-prong), you will have defined borders and no dilemma of too much finger coverage. FWIW, I loved the octagonal halo, and I don't think 9 (or even 10) mm is too much at all... even for teeny, tiny size 3 fingers. But I'm a size whore. :lol:

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1394125079|3628678 said:
Sooner you call him the better.

Soo...I'm going to a 1.5 and he can do the octagonal halo!!! I feel bad as they already started pave on the previous setting...but he was awesome as always. But great that it's finally feeling right! Thank you!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1394126146|3628696 said:
redroze|1394111179|3628578 said:

Hi redroze :wavey:

I've read a lot of your posts, and it seems like you are going back and forth with several designs... I know how it feels to try to decide on a ering setting -- it was difficult for me and then I doubted myself until it was on my finger. :errrr: ;))

If you want something to define the borders of your round, why not just have ERD create a really cool 8-prong vintage-inspired setting with all the milgrain your little heart desires? <-- I love milgrain too, so I get it! :bigsmile: This way (8-prong), you will have defined borders and no dilemma of too much finger coverage. FWIW, I loved the octagonal halo, and I don't think 9 (or even 10) mm is too much at all... even for teeny, tiny size 3 fingers. But I'm a size whore. :lol:

You've witnessed my madness? Haha. I'll have to see the number of prongs that make sense with an octagon halo. Most of the ones I've seen seem to have 8 prongs to define the points.

Ooh your ring is pretty. I always doubted going solitaire but felt it was classic, then realized the size of the halo is what prevented me from liking some halos.

Can't wait to see cads...gaaas I'm sooooo excited now!!'

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redroze|1394126344|3628700 said:
Soo...I'm going to a 1.5 and he can do the octagonal halo!!! I feel bad as they already started pave on the previous setting...but he was awesome as always. But great that it's finally feeling right! Thank you!

This is good news! Glad you called when you did! :))

You've witnessed my madness? Haha. I'll have to see the number of prongs that make sense with an octagon halo. Most of the ones I've seen seem to have 8 prongs to define the points.

Ooh your ring is pretty. I always doubted going solitaire but felt it was classic, then realized the size of the halo is what prevented me from liking some halos.

Can't wait to see cads...gaaas I'm sooooo excited now!!'

I would do 8 prongs for that shape halo -- anything else may look "off" with the octagonal shape -- especially since you like the idea of defining the shape of the round. The 8 prongs will draw the eye all the way around your stone, showcasing it's "roundness" and making it appear larger... the same way a 6 prong will look more round and larger than a 4 prong (which will make it appear more squared-off). They will also give it more of that vintage feel you love.

Also, I think it needs to be flat at the top (the pointed is okay, but it reminds me of a snowflake or something...) HA! Thanks for the compliment. :praise: I'm like you in thinking a solitaire was classic and beautiful -- and it is, but I wanted more bling and size! ;)) I'm so used to seeing the look of my halo that it would take a 10+mm solitaire to satisfy my need for finger coverage... and then I'd probably halo that one! LOL :bigsmile:

And you're not crazy, you're just making yourself crazy. It's a huge commitment and a very important piece of jewelry, so that's okay. I know because I did the exact same thing! I would have dreams that my new setting arrived and it had this obnoxious airline and thick halo. I literally woke up in a sweat and rapid heartbeat... true story. :oops: :| PS will do that to you if you stay on it a lot. I'm addicted to it. I get on tangents that I want to change my setting or upgrade my stone. I'll be obsessed for weeks until I make myself stay off PS for several days. Then I'm cool again and loving my setting. :bigsmile:

I think you will be super happy with the octagonal halo, regardless of the number of prongs you choose. ERD does some amazing work with reasonable prices! Good luck to you!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love my octagonal halo. It's very pretty and a little bit different from the norm. I have 8 prongs and I do think it makes the design flow better. Definitely more of a vintage look. I can't wait to see what your new ring looks like! :appl:

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing in my excitement! Okay 8 prongs it is. Your octagon halo is gorgeous Maisie. Artdeco, ironic that this is similar to your old ring!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1394090209|3628511 said:

http://www.ethanlord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x700/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/s/s/ss1104_1.5ct_tilt.jpg straight top. Which I think looks best.

http://www.solomonbrothers.net/images/1621/146887.jpg Angled halo with a straight top (this is a Ritani).

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b3/ca/06/b3ca0663720091059330c2922a31ca19.jpg This one is a bezel but I like the proportions. If you went with 1/2 pointers in the halo you could get close to this slimness (it would be closer to 1.5mm the halo).

ERD said they could so half pointers, which is 1 mm plus allowing some space for the bright cut wall and fine milgrain. I think he knows the look I'm going for and we can fine tune with the cads.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redroze|1394161216|3629052 said:
Gypsy|1394090209|3628511 said:

ERD said they could so half pointers, which is 1 mm plus allowing some space for the bright cut wall and fine milgrain. I think he knows the look I'm going for and we can fine tune with the cads.

Perfect! Can't wait to see it!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy if I do full cuts for the halo, does the shank also have to be full cut to match it? Ditto for the pave on the basket stems (will be four stems pave with a 'surprise' stone like the legacy ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would NOT mix full cuts and single cuts. And since your center is a MRB I would do full cuts for the whole thing, yes.

You'll get the most sparkle and shine out of them.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Okay thanks! I've been reading past posts on single vs full cut, and it seems like full cuts are what most vendors use now anyway. But I will specify it to Chris too.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1394222640|3629478 said:
I would NOT mix full cuts and single cuts. And since your center is a MRB I would do full cuts for the whole thing, yes.

You'll get the most sparkle and shine out of them.

I looked up your ring halo and can clearly see that your new full cut halo is more sparkly. Just wondering why this post from Leon states that single cuts are better in smaller melee (less than 1.3 mm) due to less facets? Don't want to run this into the ground, but I saw this ring on the ERD thread, and the pave in the leafy basket looks non- sparkly to my eye. They look like single cuts maybe? Could be the photographs though.

Leon's comment:https://www.pricescope.com/communit...size-do-you-prefer-one-over-the-other.126243/

ERD ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/erd-ring-review-reveal-neil-lane-inspiration.179523/ totally gorgeous ring, and I noticed the pave on the shank looks great. Just the pave on the leaves looks off to me. Again, it could just be the photos.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
From everything I have seen, ERD does amazing work, I would discuss with him and let him give you his opinion and show examples? This process can sometimes be overwhelming and scary, but hopefully exciting and you will be getting your dream ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results