shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Gold

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I am considering having a rose gold band custom made, but now worry about the idea that the copper in 14K rose gold can cause an allergic reaction. I am allergic to sterling silver. However to date, I have not noticed any problem with other metals. I don't think I've had a lot of exposure to copper; one way or the other. Should I be concerned about 14 K rose gold?

Also, does rose gold add a tint to higher color diamonds? I want to have .10 diamonds bezel set in the band.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I can't answer the allergy thing as I'm not sure, maybe buy an inexpensive 14k rg band to see if your skin reacts? I'm sure other ps'ers will be able to help out there.

I can answer your question re: rg tinting higher coloured diamonds and I would have to say no. I have my 5 little aca's, which, from memory, I believe are approx a g/h combination and they look absolutely white as white in my 18k rg setting. If anything they pop more and look very white against the rg. I love rg and, assuming you're not allergic to it, I can't wait to see your new ring!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rose gold is addictive once you start
Never thought i liked it .... till i tried in on
some coloured stones just look best in RG
I 2nd the idea of trying out a cheap 14K ring for an allergie check
best wishes
i hope your ok with RG

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
For a cheap and east test, go to the hardware store and get an off cut of copper from a pipe or a copper fitting. Run a string thru it, tie to your wrist & wear as a bracelet. You’ll know quickly if the copper is an issue since the fitting will be a higher copper quantity per gram than in an alloyed gold.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
And I love very white stones in rose gold. I don’t think RG tints stones, at all.

Venusara

Rough_Rock
Definitely try a plain band to see if you're allergic. I was also worried that rose gold would make my diamond appear tinted but I love the contrast of a white stone against a warmer metal.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Re allergies — my finger turns green with just copper or with bronze but does not do so with 10k or 14k rose gold. Amazon has quite a few inexpensive rose gold stacking rings. You could buy one to wear for a few days and then you might even end up with a casual stacking ring that you like for the future.

Re tint — sorry to disagree with others. In certain light my D looks like it is reflecting some of the rose gold beige. In other light though the diamond looks perfectly white.

6DBD35F2-C781-4728-9E01-82F967D7958C.jpeg

I don’t think the rose gold beige is showing through the D stone so much as reflecting off the outer facets. But my point is not that rose gold adds tint to diamonds, but rather that you do not need to spend the $$$ on D or E color if you are setting the diamond in rose gold, since there will be beige reflections from many angles.

FWIW I prefer colorless diamonds but the next time I buy rose gold I will not pay more for D, E, or F color, and will put the money saved on color into clarity or spread. I might pay more for G but that is the highest I would sacrifice budget for in a rose gold setting.

PattsyStone

Rough_Rock
Starbrite, I'm allergic to nickel and have been able to wear 14k solid rose gold just fine, but being allergic to silver must make things even more annoying for you.

I found some info on how much silver is in different rose/pink/red gold mixes:

18K rose gold, 18K red gold, and 18K pink gold contain 75% gold. 14K rose gold, 14K red gold, and 14K pink gold contain 58% gold. The remaining percentage is made up of copper or copper and silver. So you're less likely to have allergies if you go 18k gold but it'll be more expensive and be less of a rosy tint than 14k (Which I personally like)

This table shows roughly the average amount of silver and copper in different 18k rg formulations:

1617707114871.png

So I guess you have to bear in mind that a lot of rg formulations also contain a very small amount of silver which should be fine but to be safe you could look into 18k red gold.
For copper allergy, you'll just have to test it out as others have suggested. My fingers are crossed for you!

I read advice saying If you are allergic to copper but are head over heels in love with rose gold, choose 18k rose gold jewellery that you don’t plan to wear every day. =)2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd find a copper bracelet to wear to see if your skin reacts to copper.
Then I'd search for how long you have to wear it to be sure whether you're allergic to copper.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone who answered.

I also have another concern about rose gold. Does the color of 14K rose gold look good on pale skin? I'm a natural blonde and have the fair complexion to match.

The ring design is close to being finalized. The design is sculptured roses and 3 mm bezeled diamonds. I thought that design would be pretty in rose gold. Then, I read that rose gold can have problems for some. I'm still leaning toward rose gold, but my husband thinks yellow gold would be just as nice.

I want this to be a ring that I can wear everyday. The ring design is sculptured roses and 3 mm bezeled diamonds.

Right now, most of my jewelry is yellow gold or platinum.

PattsyStone

Rough_Rock
I think it looks great on pale skin! I'm also pale and love it specifically because it's so flattering and adds a bit of delicate warmth to the skin.

Rose gold is one of those colors that's supposed to suit most people.

If you're in doubt you could consider a softer yellow gold as an alternative.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks great on pale skin! I'm also pale and love it specifically because it's so flattering and adds a bit of delicate warmth to the skin.

Rose gold is one of those colors that's supposed to suit most people.

If you're in doubt you could consider a softer yellow gold as an alternative.

Thanks for the suggestion. Although I'm still leaning toward rose gold, softer tone of yellow gold is also an option.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what jeweler you are working with and if they could...nor do I have experience with this alloy...

But I have been curious about more "peach" or "apricot" colored alloys - not quite rose gold, not quite yellow. I have very pale / pinkish skin and expect this would be more flattering than rose gold.

Just wanted to mention it!

1619014523367.png

(This is from Gembreakfast - they talk about it as though they made up the alloy themselves, but I don't think this was their creation...however they were great at branding it....I believe other vendors offer similar alloys)

1619014613834.png

1619014668664.png

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I've seen rose gold come in many different hues, from some that look very similar to yellow gold (Faberge and Breguet are the two brands that come to mind) to those that are more of a true pink.

I'm very pale with pink undertones in my complexion and rose gold (any of the hues of it that I've tried on so far) look good.

Here's what my Faberge egg pendant in rose gold looks like against my skin (keep in mind that everything in these photos looks more pink than they do in real life because they were taken next to a pink/red brick wall and I'm wearing a peach-colored blouse, both of which are messing with the camera's color sensor):

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have G color diamonds in rose gold and I think it looks great.

Your ring design sounds so pretty. I hope you share pics when it's done.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what jeweler you are working with and if they could...nor do I have experience with this alloy...

But I have been curious about more "peach" or "apricot" colored alloys - not quite rose gold, not quite yellow. I have very pale / pinkish skin and expect this would be more flattering than rose gold.

1619014523367.png

(This is from Gembreakfast - they talk about it as though they made up the alloy themselves, but I don't think this was their creation...however they were great at branding it....I believe other vendors offer similar alloys)

1619014613834.png

1619014668664.png

Not sure if this is helpful or a thread jack but I had a recent thread on different gold colors. To summarise I wanted a yellow/rose gold setting for my N color antique cushion diamond. My diamond is quite tinted and I didn’t want anything that played up to the yellow or that clashed with it. Both concerns with standard yellow and rose gold. Eventually I settled on peach. David Klass made my ring and peach basically consists of 50/50 yellow/rose gold.
When I receive my ring I will try and take some photos as the DK ones are pretty bleached out but hopefully this gives an idea. AB616F8B-4DA0-4008-B778-860E8DBDE81E.png

Edit Oops sorry that is very big even in my phone

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this is helpful or a thread jack but I had a recent thread on different gold colors. To summarise I wanted a yellow/rose gold setting for my N color antique cushion diamond. My diamond is quite tinted and I didn’t want anything that played up to the yellow or that clashed with it. Both concerns with standard yellow and rose gold. Eventually I settled on peach. David Klass made my ring and peach basically consists of 50/50 yellow/rose gold.
When I receive my ring I will try and take some photos as the DK ones are pretty bleached out but hopefully this gives an idea. AB616F8B-4DA0-4008-B778-860E8DBDE81E.png

Love this! Also so glad to know that DK offers an alloy like this!

I also am curious if this is totally silver-free for OP?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love this! Also so glad to know that DK offers an alloy like this!

I also am curious if this is totally silver-free for OP?

As to that I don’t know I’m afraid.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock

Meely,

I like this color a lot.

Do you have more photos of your peach gold ring?

David Klass will also be making my new ring.

The more I read about rose gold, variations in coloration, & potential allergy, the more confused I become. I know I can wear yellow gold without any problems. But I really want something more unique this time than still another yellow gold ring.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I told David Klass about my sterling silver allergy, and he answered that if I'm not allergic to white gold (which I'm not), I should be okay with rose gold.

Today, I gave him the "go ahead" for making a sculptured rose and bezeled diamond band in his 14K rose gold. Six stations of each. This will be my anniversary gift for 2021. Not a super big ring, but it should make a nice anniversary band that is a little bit different.

The screen shot he sent me of a similar rose, rose gold ring (the one that was the basis for this ring) is soooo pretty. Love that pink gold.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I told David Klass about my sterling silver allergy, and he answered that if I'm not allergic to white gold (which I'm not), I should be okay with rose gold.

Today, I gave him the "go ahead" for making a sculptured rose and bezeled diamond band in his 14K rose gold. Six stations of each. This will be my anniversary gift for 2021. Not a super big ring, but it should make a nice anniversary band that is a little bit different.

The screen shot he sent me of a similar rose, rose gold ring (the one that was the basis for this ring) is soooo pretty. Love that pink gold.

You might want to ask up-front about what your options will be if you do turn out to react to rose gold, unlikely as that may be.

Last edited:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love rose gold and have several pieces. I do think that rose gold tints diamonds. I think in general it will make white diamonds look pinker and definitely will make pink diamonds look pinker.
Case in point I have two Simon G rings that are very similar in design. Simon G uses very white and bright melee for their pieces. In fact I would say from all the designer pieces I have, they always have the best pave melee and their pieces are meticulously made.
The diamonds in my rose gold band are definitely tinted looking compared to the ones in the white gold band.
For me it doesn’t matter Bc I love rose gold anyway. So I will continue to buy rose gold regardless.
David Klass is very very easy to work with. Let him know you are worried about a reaction. He will honestly bend over backwards to make you happy.
I’ve attached a photo of the two Simon G bands so you can see what I am referring to. To me the diamonds looks tinted in the rose gold band. By the way, David made my setting in the picture.
D27709A2-23CD-4C2A-A45F-C3A82FAE6C23.jpeg

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
You might want to ask up-front about what your options will be if you do turn out to react to rose gold, unlikely as that may be.

I'm not sure how to do this without seeming to be an unreasonable, demanding b____. I expect a jeweler to guarantee his workmanship, quality of product, etc. My expecting all that with a custom setting is not unreasonable and should be met. However, I'm not sure about the situation of a buyer's unexpected allergy to a metal... If it wasn't a custom made ring, I'm sure an easy exchange for another color of gold would be possible. Since David said that he doesn't expect me to have a rose gold allergy (based on all I told him), I'm going to trust that if I do unexpectedly have problems with the rose gold, something can then be worked out. He's been very good about making his clients happy. He knows about my allergy to silver and that I'm new to rose gold. He could have easily told me to select yellow gold to "be safe". I did already ask his opinion about the gold options. I just didn't ask "what if..."

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
I love rose gold and have several pieces. I do think that rose gold tints diamonds. I think in general it will make white diamonds look pinker and definitely will make pink diamonds look pinker.
Case in point I have two Simon G rings that are very similar in design. Simon G uses very white and bright melee for their pieces. In fact I would say from all the designer pieces I have, they always have the best pave melee and their pieces are meticulously made.
The diamonds in my rose gold band are definitely tinted looking compared to the ones in the white gold band.
For me it doesn’t matter Bc I love rose gold anyway. So I will continue to buy rose gold regardless.
David Klass is very very easy to work with. Let him know you are worried about a reaction. He will honestly bend over backwards to make you happy.
I’ve attached a photo of the two Simon G bands so you can see what I am referring to. To me the diamonds looks tinted in the rose gold band. By the way, David made my setting in the picture.
D27709A2-23CD-4C2A-A45F-C3A82FAE6C23.jpeg

Beautiful rings. I see what you mean about the rose gold tinting the stones a little.

David is using VS G's for the diamonds in the rose band that he's making for me. Because the design is "roses", I should be okay. Just as long as the diamonds sparkle and look nice, I should be happy. I'm normally very color sensitive and like really very white diamonds. However because I'm not doing a white metal setting, I decided that I can live with a slight variation from D color with this design. Now that you mention it, the idea of having pink diamonds might have been really cool for this particular design I'm having done. Pink diamonds could have really boost the feeling of roses. However, I can't afford the extra cost of fancy color diamonds for this ring.

I did let David know that I'm concerned about an unexpected reaction to the alloys in a color of gold that I haven't worn before. He knows his rose gold recipe; so I'm trusting that I should be okay.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock

1619014523367.png

1619014613834.png

1619014668664.png

I meant to answer this before. Your chart and the photos were very helpful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure how to do this without seeming to be an unreasonable, demanding b____. I expect a jeweler to guarantee his workmanship, quality of product, etc. My expecting all that with a custom setting is not unreasonable and should be met. However, I'm not sure about the situation of a buyer's unexpected allergy to a metal... If it wasn't a custom made ring, I'm sure an easy exchange for another color of gold would be possible. Since David said that he doesn't expect me to have a rose gold allergy (based on all I told him), I'm going to trust that if I do unexpectedly have problems with the rose gold, something can then be worked out. He's been very good about making his clients happy. He knows about my allergy to silver and that I'm new to rose gold. He could have easily told me to select yellow gold to "be safe". I did already ask his opinion about the gold options. I just didn't ask "what if..."

Buy a plain band in the same metal first. Something much cheaper.

Wear it for a couple of weeks non-stop. To bed, in the shower, gardening... You'll give your body a chance to tell you what it needs or doesn't need before investing in an expensive and hard-to-resell custom mount. Yes, it'll add two weeks to your journey, but in the grand scheme of being confident and happy with the outcome two extra weeks is nothing!

It's also a better path for him - remaking a mount in an alternate metal because you turn out to be allergic would be extremely generous of him because it'd definitely be a financial loss. By testing this metal out beforehand you spare him potentially unnecessary expense as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results