shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Gold

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Buy a plain band in the same metal first. Something much cheaper.

Wear it for a couple of weeks non-stop. To bed, in the shower, gardening... You'll give your body a chance to tell you what it needs or doesn't need before investing in an expensive and hard-to-resell custom mount. Yes, it'll add two weeks to your journey, but in the grand scheme of being confident and happy with the outcome two extra weeks is nothing!

It's also a better path for him - remaking a mount in an alternate metal because you turn out to be allergic would be extremely generous of him because it'd definitely be a financial loss. By testing this metal out beforehand you spare him potentially unnecessary expense as well.

I believe eweddingbands has some for under $200. Or etsy might be an option.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe eweddingbands has some for under $200. Or etsy might be an option.

Y'know. In this case I might suggest being extra cautious and having DK actually make a band in the exact same alloy he's planning to use for the final ring - rose gold composition varies SO hugely!!

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Buy a plain band in the same metal first. Something much cheaper.

Wear it for a couple of weeks non-stop. To bed, in the shower, gardening... You'll give your body a chance to tell you what it needs or doesn't need before investing in an expensive and hard-to-resell custom mount. Yes, it'll add two weeks to your journey, but in the grand scheme of being confident and happy with the outcome two extra weeks is nothing!

It's also a better path for him - remaking a mount in an alternate metal because you turn out to be allergic would be extremely generous of him because it'd definitely be a financial loss. By testing this metal out beforehand you spare him potentially unnecessary expense as well.

David has already started to cast my rose gold ring.

Our anniversary is also coming up fast. So I had to have faith that everything will work out for the best & that my silver allergy won't effect my wearing rose gold. After doing a lot of research and giving things very serious thought, I truly feel the odds are on my side that I should be fine with rose gold. That's why I finally decided to proceed with this ring.

I tend to overthink things and usually am extremely cautious in my purchases. But I reached the point where I had to either go with yellow gold (which I didn't want) or try 14 K rose gold (which is the perfect metal color for this particular ring).

Despite having a silver allergy, I can wear silver jewelry; just not rings for prolonged periods of time. What's weird is that 925 sterling silver is supposedly "hypoallergenic". I've read that those, who have a 925 sterling silver allergy, are actually allergic to something in the tiny amount of remaining other alloys. The most common culprit is nickel. However, I'm not at all allergic to white gold. I assume that not all of my white gold - if any - is nickel free. This says I'm probably not allergic to nickel. So who knows what it really is about sterling silver that bothers me? Maybe it actually is the silver.

From what I've also read, there are different rose gold recipes. Not all rose gold has the same percentage in the mix of "other alloys". So to get a truly accurate "try me" rose gold band, I'd have to get one from DKJ with his specific rose gold recipe. However, I'm now out of time to do that...

Yellow gold recipes also vary, but I've never had any problems with either white or yellow gold. Yellow gold can have silver, copper and/or zinc as alloys. White gold can have silver, and zinc.

There are no guarantees in life, but unless, I have an unexpected, somewhat rare copper allergy, I think I should be okay. Research has also shown that a large majority of women, who are allergic to copper IUD's, have been found to also be allergic to nickel. So there seems to be some connection between cooper and nickel allergies.

Food for thought from a UK on-line jeweler (who guarantees their jewelry for 100 days in case there is an unexpected allergy to the metal in piece of jewelry): "Most reactions to Gold jewellery occurs due to the Nickel added to make the piece harder." So this fact may be why David feels I should be okay with his rose gold if I'm not allergic to nickel.

There undoubtedly is some silver as an alloy in both my white and yellow gold rings. So the amount of silver used in rose gold probably shouldn't bother me. There is also some copper in yellow gold. Although the copper is less with 14K yellow gold than with 14K rose gold, I have never had any problem with any yellow gold recipe to date. And I do have a lot of yellow gold.

I have overthought, researched, etc, etc, etc the various "what ifs" about rose gold. I have told David about my concerns. Since I don't have 100 days to wear a less expensive "try me" rose gold band, I have to now have faith that all will work out for the best . If it doesn't, I honestly will be quite surprised. Based on all my research (and David's reassurance), I believe rose gold should be fine for me.

Anyhow, my rose gold band is currently being made.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope everything works out well! Agree that it’s more likely you’re fine than not, metal allergies are quite rare to begin with. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary ::)

If you do end up allergic to the RG but you still want to wear it, one way around the issue is to apply masking/body tape to the underside. It’s a fiddly process but as long as you tape over the bits that could touch your skin, you won’t have a reaction. I have a family member who is allergic to nickel and this is her solution for all the jewelry she possesses that was purchased before discovering the nickel allergy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results