clarity

rose cut diamond

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
What is a "rose cut" diamond?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose cuts are very shallow and flat on the bottom.
You can see right through them like a window.

Here's a side view.

rose.png

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
ok . . . Thank you for your prompt reply and diagram. :))

Is that an older cut like an "old mine cut" or do diamond cutters chose that cut to preserve the carat weight?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
16ocean|1313041587|2988391 said:
ok . . . Thank you for your prompt reply and diagram. :))

Is that an older cut like an "old mine cut" or do diamond cutters chose that cut to preserve the carat weight?

rose cuts are older but they are different than old mine cuts. i doubt cutters would choose a rose cut to preserve carat weight since that cut is not very popular except for in some vintage style jewelry.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rose cuts are really popular right now. Many jewelry designers are working rose cuts into new designs-definitely a shape trend, and not just with diamonds. Rose cut colored stones are also the focus of several new collections. You'll find a lot of opaque or semi-opaque naturally colored rose cut diamonds in contemporary design, but there are also designers like Norman Covan, who are working in transparent material of higher quality. The opaque colored rose cut diamonds allow designers to create larger statement pieces at lower costs, and there is a huge trend in organic and textural jewelry, which opaque stones and diamond slices naturally complement. I'm also seeing designers juxtapose the more rustic opaque rose cuts with intricate pavé for a blend of fine and fashion. Fun stuff!

16ocean|1313041587|2988391 said:

Rose cuts are older cuts, yes-the style emerged at the beginning of the 16th century. The shape of the rough dictates the shape of the faceted diamond, and rose cuts are a great use of flatter material.

Here are some images of rose cuts from JCK and Couture 2011.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/rose-cut-diamonds-jck-luxury-and-couture-2011

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are some more images of rose cuts from Norman Covan's booth at JCK Luxury.
(apologies for the image quality. Light settings-off. Shooting through glass.)

IMG_1608.jpg
IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1599.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg

Reactions: AV_

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
...and some rose cut diamond rings from Single Stone. (Can you tell I like rose cuts?)

You can really see the cut in these pics.
SR342.jpg
BMLV11.jpg
NLR071129_0.jpg

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Coati those photos are AMAZING!!! The last Singlestone ring is mind boggling! :love:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Coati- Could you post some videos of rose cuts? I've seen lots of pictures but videos aren't as plentiful. I don't understand why people don't take videos of their diamonds... or 1000's of pictures or obsess about them... or check their finger every 10 minutes to make sure their ring is still on and the stone still there :wacko:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
davi-that's a great idea. There are several jewelers in my neck of the woods who carry rose cuts. I'll do a field trip and create a video blog. Thanks for the suggestion!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pictures coati!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome pics Coati, thank you! I have always loved rose cuts and feel that jewlery is like fashion...keep it long enough and it will be in style again (though imo rose cuts were never out of style...they just weren't mainstream)....

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was just browsing Lang's...More rose cuts.

1222983943_10-1-2186a.jpg

1256945035_Main_View_2_10_3_2618a.jpg

paramexports

Rough_Rock
Trade
RC.jpg
I have captured by Iphone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results