shape
carat
color
clarity

Rock Crystal, Sources?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
Might any of you know of a source for rock crystal? In particular, I''''m trying to find an approx. 22mm diameter sphere or egg shape for my jeweler to customize into a pendant. I have seen something similar in a Temple St. Clair design. I just can not fathom paying those designer prices, however, for quartz.

Thanks, in advance!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
many different pieces can be found here
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
22mm is small for a display piece and large for a bead... sot of in between and I can''t say I know where to get one right now, but for a custom cut piece, you could try Premier Gem Design: the project sounds close to their specialty, the rough can be found anywhere asap and judging from my own experience with the shop you should be pleasantly surprised with both the service and prices.

Judging from the workmanship on the blue chalcedony pieces they display, perhaps they could also make the piece of jewelry for you.

Just an idea.
38.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't know anything about this designer until you mentioned... Lovely 'egg' of course.

Aside the colorless quartz they use, it is very tempting to think of moonstone... or light aquamarine. And this brings to ind the huge blue Burmese moonstones in stock at American-Thai. Interesting?
2.gif
These are recut from cabs, they say. And if more material is available, can't see why they could not repolish one as an egg shape for you. You can find the owner on this forum, although they do not write that often. The size you mention is quite large for moonstone, but at least one of the pieces of light aquamarine rough they have in stock would cope with the demand, and it can't hurt to ask.

Hope you don't mind this...

bunt2-necklace.jpg

Cathleen Bunt setting for an egg shaped
pearl: the unusual cap with the tsavorite
'finial' made me remember this one.
The green garnet is under 1 ct...

TSC.JPG

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Val, i like the last one a lot. It has some philosophical meaning to it, like..."An Egg With No Hatching Future"
39.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2006 4:53:22 PM
Author: Pricescope
Val, i like the last one a lot. It has some philosophical meaning to it, like...''An Egg With No Hatching Future''
39.gif

That''s funny. A variation could be "Egg With Chastity Belt!"

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
He-he, "...With Diamonds To Make It Up For You, Honey"

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2006 9:09:34 PM
Author: Pricescope
He-he, ''...With Diamonds To Make It Up For You, Honey''

Sometimes diamonds are a guy''s best friend too!

But since I''ve been joking around I feel obligated to post a source for nice quality quartz items. Optical quartz is probably what ndnyhagen is seeking and Here''s a possible supplier (infusions optional). The quality/price look good to me but I have no experience with this seller.

Richard M.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... why didn't I think of that guys?
9.gif
Irina, please tell me that wasn't you writing!

There's way more famous stuff in the shape of strapped, bejeweled balls

Btw. optical quartz... the smallest piece in that shop is 60 grams or so... don't want to sink yet
23.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/18/2006 1:34:18 AM
Author: valeria101
Btw. optical quartz... the smallest piece in that shop is 60 grams or so... don''t want to sink yet

You''re right -- I didn''t look it over carefully and assumed there might be smaller ones. I''m sure smaller are available elsewhere along with other options: rose quartz, milky quartz, chalcedony of various colors, etc. Some of the fluorite eggs have lovely colors and even though fragile might do well in pendants. There''s a huge amount of stuff offered for that market and it can easily be found with some persistent Googling.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe... I have something along those lines (Easter wear) in yellow amber, and have looked for a while for other stones in wearable size. Apparently, the usual curio shop marbles are too big and tiny gemstone eggs may not be trendy enough to find off the rack.

Would it be difficult in any way to have a small egg shaped piece cut?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/18/2006 2:33:33 AM
Author: valeria101
Maybe... I have something along those lines (Easter wear) in yellow amber, and have looked for a while for other stones in wearable size. Apparently, the usual curio shop marbles are too big and tiny gemstone eggs may not be trendy enough to find off the rack.

Would it be difficult in any way to have a small egg shaped piece cut?

At numerous gems shows I''ve seen tables literally groaning under the weight of quartz eggs and similar items but have no interest in them and have never taken a close look. I just assumed (always dangerous) smaller sizes were abundant. A bit of on-line searching this morning didn''t locate anything under 35 mm. Yet I know I''ve seen lots of small ones somewhere.

Cutting small eggs probably wouldn''t be difficult although achieving 3-dimensional symmetry might be a little tricky. An acquaintance specialized in cutting larger-sized stone egg shapes and I recall he made a template, maybe because he wanted them all the same size/shape. In smaller sizes it might be possible to do it freehand by eye but it would involve some some trial and error. What size and material are you thinking of?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2006 10:50:59 AM
Author: Richard M.

In smaller sizes it might be possible to do it freehand by eye but it would involve some some trial and error. What size and material are you thinking of?
I was referring to the idea that started this thread, but since you mention, how about white opal (the carving material) ~15 x 10 mm egg shape, to be set on a peg like a briolette...

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ana,

It shouldn''t be a problem if quality rough is available. The opal should be opaque so the drill hole and peg won''t show (some potch/common opal can be slightly translucent). The rough should be inspected very carefully to make certain there are no hidden fissures, inclusions, etc. that will appear only during cutting -- the cutter''s nightmare!
29.gif

In the case of optical quartz it would probably be best to begin with a clear crystal not a lot larger than the ultimate finished size. I''d begin by cutting it into a cylinder, then to the final size/shape. Nice clean crystals are available from Arkansas in the U.S. and also from Magagascar and Brazil.

Richard M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results