shape
carat
color
clarity

Risk of not getting a brightest diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 3:50:20 AM
Author: RockDoc

AGS's new software...This is some very advanced ray tracing analysis...
AGSL is doing both forward and reverse ray-tracing in Vegas. It's extremely advanced, global analysis that may represent the next major step in our understanding of difficult-to-quantify performance qualities. I don't know how much is incorporated into PGS. Bill?

Standard ray-tracing has been forward, and gives information about what is going on at the viewer's eye... Then of course you get into human physiology and the variables. Reverse ray-tracing goes from your eye to the diamond and out to the hemisphere. The importance of reverse ray tracing is that it gives you information about how well the diamond will perform based on the light environment. Succinctly, forward is about human vision. Reverse is about lighting.

Serg's work on ETAS (effective total angular size - or a part of all the space we can see through a diamond) is along the same lines. Here is a link with an overview and this page allows you to enter parameters and 'play' the projection.

Incidentally, I understand Bruce Harding was the one who said that if you reverse it, it’s not the same as going fwd. The more I learn about Bruce the more I'm impressed by his considerable contributions.

If people are interested, maybe you could start a thread about PGS Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results