shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy I’ve been reading but not posting but I remember I had a friend with a dog...not a cat...that developed black crust on his face because he became allergic to the plastic bowls he ate and drank out of. It developed after a long period of time if not having any reaction to the plastic...The vet told her to use stainless steel bowls instead and it went away. I thought it was just possible that it could be a simple thing...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I’ve been reading but not posting but I remember I had a friend with a dog...not a cat...that developed black crust on his face because he became allergic to the plastic bowls he ate and drank out of. It developed after a long period of time if not having any reaction to the plastic...The vet told her to use stainless steel bowls instead and it went away. I thought it was just possible that it could be a simple thing...

Thanks Joanne, I appreciate you sharing that with me but unfortunately that's not it. The black crusts are where the RW was/is...in the area of initial hair loss on his tummy and paws and face. The face is better but the hair on the paws and belly are growing in black/dirty brown vs white and the belly has black crusting that keeps coming off when Greg cleans it but then comes back again. Praying it isn't active RW fungus.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I didn't know it took so long to get results. I'm hoping and praying for a good outcome for all the kitties. It's been a long haul for you and the cats and hard on everyone. Sending support and comfort...take care of yourself and hang in there as best you can. (((hugs)))

Thank you sweet Junie. I appreciate your good wishes and support. XO

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s good to vent! There’s something about feeling taken advantage of that changes everything, I agree. When dh and I were negotiating for our first townhome, we agreed that we wouldn’t walk away if we had to pay list price. We really wanted the townhome. In the midst of negotiations, though, we came down to $1K difference, and all of a sudden I felt like digging my heels in. What changed? I guess I just felt like the process and the comments we heard via the realtor were unfair in a way.

Anyway! This next week will tell you a lot. I’m glad the vet is also loooking our for you. You can’t care for the fur babies if you’re not well! How has the dermatitis been going? Did the cream work?

Hi Kristin,thank you. I am glad you got what you wanted for your family. You are so right. Feeling taken advantage of is not pleasant. I am doing OK. I am just so worried about the cats and well both Greg and I are exhausted physically and mentally. Not sleeping is taking its toll. But just doing the best we can and taking it one day at a time. It is all we can do. Appreciate your kind comments and good wishes.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Joanne, I appreciate you sharing that with me but unfortunately that's not it. The black crusts are where the RW was/is...in the area of initial hair loss on his tummy and paws and face. The face is better but the hair on the paws and belly are growing in black/dirty brown vs white and the belly has black crusting that keeps coming off when Greg cleans it but then comes back again. Praying it isn't active RW fungus.
I can’t believe the vet doesn’t know what it is. I hesitate to ask questions because you may be tired of answering the same thing..but have to ask if a culture was done of the crust...It should be able to tell you what it is. It’s so frustrating...xxxxoooo

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t believe the vet doesn’t know what it is. I hesitate to ask questions because you may be tired of answering the same thing..but have to ask if a culture was done of the crust...It should be able to tell you what it is. It’s so frustrating...xxxxoooo

Joanne, feel free to ask me anything. I appreciate the brainstorming. My brain isn't working well these days at all and I need all the help I can get. They are going to culture all suspicious areas next Wednesday. Just so long of a wait once we culture.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
dear Missy
im sorry im late to pick up on this news about dear Fred
i just cannot bear how unfair this whole blastered RW thing is on each and every one of you
its good this 2nd vet has Fred's best interests at heart and also nice she remembered about you too
Fred, darling, please get better

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I would be very frustrated by the lack of empathy you are experiencing with the vet's office. What you are all going through is emotionally draining, and I think its entirely reasonable to expect a sense of concern and urgency. Transparency goes a long way in building trust and sometimes all you need is someone who tells it to you straight so you can move forward with some expectations. It sounds like the other vet is meeting you where you need them to (at least trying) which is good. I imagine what this must feel like for you @missy - and sending good vibes your way that those cultures come back negative.

Btw Ollie is getting so big - he has beautiful coloring! I love the photo of him over your shoulders while you were on PS - it looks like he is hugging you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be very frustrated by the lack of empathy you are experiencing with the vet's office. What you are all going through is emotionally draining, and I think its entirely reasonable to expect a sense of concern and urgency. Transparency goes a long way in building trust and sometimes all you need is someone who tells it to you straight so you can move forward with some expectations. It sounds like the other vet is meeting you where you need them to (at least trying) which is good. I imagine what this must feel like for you @missy - and sending good vibes your way that those cultures come back negative.

Btw Ollie is getting so big - he has beautiful coloring! I love the photo of him over your shoulders while you were on PS - it looks like he is hugging you.

Thank you @facetgirl this is exactly how I am feeling and I don't even think I realized it til you verbalized it for me.

There is a lack of empathy at the veterinarian office. The staff does not like doing the L-S dips and we never get a warm welcome or anything close. In fact one of the staff (Raquel- I dislike her) has told me more than once how they never see RW and how she has only ever done one l-s dip before us etc. and you don't have to be perceptive to understand she is unhappy about having the cats come there. And let me assure you when Greg and I go there we are always pleasant and friendly and nice and polite. Always.

Another staff complained to us she cannot get the lime sulfur smell out of her clothes. To which Greg replied try white vinegar. I know the way the staff feels should not concern us but it affects me and more importantly I think it could affect our cats. If the staff does not show warmth or caring towards the cats and the cats are there all day. In fact more than once the staff did not even attempt feeding our cats who are there for 8-9 hours. Can you believe that? In the beginning, when we first brought in Oliver, they were all (figuratively) over Oliver. How adorable, how sweet, he's always purring, etc and they even begrudgingly admitted our adult cats are pretty good too. But after a few weeks of smelly L-S dip I saw a switch and while they were never warm per se they became chilly in a way. And now they complain Oliver fights the L-S dips. So they are no longer enamored of him either. Though Chris the one male assistant is very kind and nice and still seems to care about Oliver. But he is just one staff member. And he is not a main staff member.

Greg doesn't let the staff bother him and he doesn't even notice it until I point it out. I know I have to ignore it and just suck it up but it upsets me because they are in charge of the care of my kitties yanno? I am entrusting the cats care to them. And the head vet never initiates contact or keeps us posted until I call and request a call back. The vet who called us yesterday because the head vet is on vacation is OK but we really don't know her and neither vet has a high level of expertise with RW. But having written that neither does my sister. But of course my sister is a caring and excellent vet and I know if we had been able to bring our cats to her she would do everything in her power to get them well. This vet office not so much.

Feels like we are just a meal ticket and when you are in the health profession you should put your patients first. Period. But of course we do not live in an idea world. It is just disheartening. All we want to do is get our cats well and we never even complain. We behave like ideal parents because I know how it is being on the other side. I have empathy for them but they have none for us and while that isn't a prerequisite for doing a good job I am concerned they are not doing the best job they can be doing or even a good one. I just don't know because we have to leave the cats there all day and hope they are getting the correct treatment.

Even with the culture next week I got resistance from the staff and the vet. She wanted us to leave them in the AM and pick them up later after the cultures were done. But then I realized ok how does she know where the crusts show up as the vet said she didn't see the black crusts on his belly and hind legs. Which makes me think she didn't really look at Fred but NM that. So I said no I want to be with them during the cultures next week so I can point out the areas that have the crusts. I got resistance from the staff trying to schedule that as they wanted ease of the appt and just have us drop them and leave them. That is not fair to the cats. Leaving them there for hours at the vet office which is super stressful plus how will the vet know exactly the areas we are concerned about? Frustrating indeed. As it is we are coming in on Wed now instead of Tues at 10AM instead of 8:30 AM and hoping she will culture them all within a reasonable time frame so we don't subject them to hours there again. But Greg and I will be by their side the whole time this visit. No dropping them off and leaving them there. Upsetting they wanted us to do that. With L-S dips we have to as it is a whole day to dry after the dips but with culturing there is no reason.

Thanks for letting me get this out and also for truly understanding how I am feeling and what we are up against. And Oliver is getting so big. He only weighs 6lbs (another concern and he still has loose stool but we are giving him Flagyl and hope it helps) but he is taller than Francesca was when she was fully grown and Oliver is less than 6 months old.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @facetgirl this is exactly how I am feeling and I don't even think I realized it til you verbalized it for me.

There is a lack of empathy at the veterinarian office. The staff does not like doing the L-S dips and we never get a warm welcome or anything close. In fact one of the staff (Raquel- I dislike her) has told me more than once how they never see RW and how she has only ever done one l-s dip before us etc. and you don't have to be perceptive to understand she is unhappy about having the cats come there. And let me assure you when Greg and I go there we are always pleasant and friendly and nice and polite. Always.

Another staff complained to us she cannot get the lime sulfur smell out of her clothes. To which Greg replied try white vinegar. I know the way the staff feels should not concern us but it affects me and more importantly I think it could affect our cats. If the staff does not show warmth or caring towards the cats and the cats are there all day. In fact more than once the staff did not even attempt feeding our cats who are there for 8-9 hours. Can you believe that? In the beginning, when we first brought in Oliver, they were all (figuratively) over Oliver. How adorable, how sweet, he's always purring, etc and they even begrudgingly admitted our adult cats are pretty good too. But after a few weeks of smelly L-S dip I saw a switch and while they were never warm per se they became chilly in a way. And now they complain Oliver fights the L-S dips. So they are no longer enamored of him either. Though Chris the one male assistant is very kind and nice and still seems to care about Oliver. But he is just one staff member. And he is not a main staff member.

Greg doesn't let the staff bother him and he doesn't even notice it until I point it out. I know I have to ignore it and just suck it up but it upsets me because they are in charge of the care of my kitties yanno? I am entrusting the cats care to them. And the head vet never initiates contact or keeps us posted until I call and request a call back. The vet who called us yesterday because the head vet is on vacation is OK but we really don't know her and neither vet has a high level of expertise with RW. But having written that neither does my sister. But of course my sister is a caring and excellent vet and I know if we had been able to bring our cats to her she would do everything in her power to get them well. This vet office not so much.

Feels like we are just a meal ticket and when you are in the health profession you should put your patients first. Period. But of course we do not live in an idea world. It is just disheartening. All we want to do is get our cats well and we never even complain. We behave like ideal parents because I know how it is being on the other side. I have empathy for them but they have none for us and while that isn't a prerequisite for doing a good job I am concerned they are not doing the best job they can be doing or even a good one. I just don't know because we have to leave the cats there all day and hope they are getting the correct treatment.

Even with the culture next week I got resistance from the staff and the vet. She wanted us to leave them in the AM and pick them up later after the cultures were done. But then I realized ok how does she know where the crusts show up as the vet said she didn't see the black crusts on his belly and hind legs. Which makes me think she didn't really look at Fred but NM that. So I said no I want to be with them during the cultures next week so I can point out the areas that have the crusts. I got resistance from the staff trying to schedule that as they wanted ease of the appt and just have us drop them and leave them. That is not fair to the cats. Leaving them there for hours at the vet office which is super stressful plus how will the vet know exactly the areas we are concerned about? Frustrating indeed. As it is we are coming in on Wed now instead of Tues at 10AM instead of 8:30 AM and hoping she will culture them all within a reasonable time frame so we don't subject them to hours there again. But Greg and I will be by their side the whole time this visit. No dropping them off and leaving them there. Upsetting they wanted us to do that. With L-S dips we have to as it is a whole day to dry after the dips but with culturing there is no reason.

Thanks for letting me get this out and also for truly understanding how I am feeling and what we are up against. And Oliver is getting so big. He only weighs 6lbs (another concern and he still has loose stool but we are giving him Flagyl and hope it helps) but he is taller than Francesca was when she was fully grown and Oliver is less than 6 months old.
im sure your sister is a lovelly vet and it's just not fair when you get one who is a bit cold and short on empathy towards humans and their fur babies
this is 2019 - don't they teach customer relations (for want of a better word) at vet college ?

Tinky was shy but fiesty, we only really got one vet who 'got him' .

this reminds me of a really sad story i saw on 60 min once about a little girl who had an autism type condition and was a handful in a way that only her mother could love and the mum talked about how much eaiser it would be if her daughter has Downs because those kinds are loving and loveable and her daughter wasn't and she felt that from her health proffesionals

(all) Animals are completly innocent and its our duty to protect them

Although Borris is weary with strangers she is placid and trusting so vets and the vet nurses love her
But Tinky deserved to be liked just as much and not just because he was very handsome but because he was a patient just like Tommy, Fred, Bobby and Olie, just like the little girl with the autism

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(all) Animals are completly innocent and its our duty to protect them

yes I completely agree. It is our duty.

this reminds me of a really sad story i saw on 60 min once about a little girl who had an autism type condition and was a handful in a way that only her mother could love and the mum talked about how much eaiser it would be if her daughter has Downs because those kinds are loving and loveable and her daughter wasn't and she felt that from her health proffesionals

And I agree about how important it is to be warm and caring towards people with developmental disorders as well especially if you are their health care provider. They are completely innocent. I dedicated my career in the health field to working with adults and children with Autism and Downs syndrome and other developmental disorders. It was challenging and rewarding and gave me so much more than I could have ever given back to them. But I did my best and was always warm and empathetic and they responded well to that. It was a wonderful career and I wonder why people go into fields dealing with people and animals if they don't want to do their best by them and give it their all and treat them with kindness.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of a story that is true. I love this story and will share it with you. Warning if you are like me in any way you might cry at this story but it will be happy tears I hope. Though for me it was mixed with tears of sorrow missing my sweet francesca so much.

Here is the story.

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month. The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to swim and play with balls. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letterbox at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page were the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find. I am wherever there is love.

Love, God

You will all be happy to know this wonderful story is 100% true, please don't take offense to the reference of God, it's part of the story.

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind, and the third is to be kind.

#WhenDogsGoToHeaven #WhatsYourStory #PrayingDogs

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
My "fuzz" is without a doubt, my baby. She is a mature cat, but she will always be one of my children. Always. I love her to the moon and back and the reality is, we all do. She is family. I protect her like a child and just like a child, I want her treated with care. I would not care for a dr or anyone for that matter that didn't relate to her with some semblance of love. But sometimes what you need is different than what you would want, and it sounds like @missy what you needed is a vet that can do those dips. So maybe this is their role in this part of your story - to just do those dips. I will share a story with you if you don't mind. A few years ago while on vacation and out running errands, I severely burned my hand with scalding coffee. I can tolerate alot of pain, let me tell you though in that moment I knew I was in trouble. I went right to an urgent care that actually turned out to be a dr's office and they wouldn't see me. Seriously they turned me away, my bright red hand wrapped in wet paper towels.They were cold as ice and told me to find an actual urgent care or to make an appt. I stood there, with a room full of people, and I cried. I just cried and asked "why won't you help me, I am in trouble." Well out from a room came a nurse who took over and helped me. Completely changed the dynamic and made me feel like I was with someone who cared. This goes a long way towards healing. It just does. Even they were worried about infection after they treated it (it was fine over time). But I will never forget that experience, both the bad and the good. I go back to that shore town often and when I pass that office, I remember. And what I remember is that they made me feel like I was a nuisance, and then they made me feel like it was going to be ok. Very conflicting messages. So... I would never go back to that office but they came through for me in the end. It comes down to a Maya Angelou quote - "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

I really am in awe of how you show up every day for your kitties and I just know you are making them feel comforted and loved. You are fierce, lady :)

Wondering how you are all doing today...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reminds me of a story that is true. I love this story and will share it with you. Warning if you are like me in any way you might cry at this story but it will be happy tears I hope. Though for me it was mixed with tears of sorrow missing my sweet francesca so much.

Here is the story.
i feel like ive been peeling onions for an hour

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My "fuzz" is without a doubt, my baby. She is a mature cat, but she will always be one of my children. Always. I love her to the moon and back and the reality is, we all do. She is family. I protect her like a child and just like a child, I want her treated with care. I would not care for a dr or anyone for that matter that didn't relate to her with some semblance of love. But sometimes what you need is different than what you would want, and it sounds like @missy what you needed is a vet that can do those dips. So maybe this is their role in this part of your story - to just do those dips. I will share a story with you if you don't mind. A few years ago while on vacation and out running errands, I severely burned my hand with scalding coffee. I can tolerate alot of pain, let me tell you though in that moment I knew I was in trouble. I went right to an urgent care that actually turned out to be a dr's office and they wouldn't see me. Seriously they turned me away, my bright red hand wrapped in wet paper towels.They were cold as ice and told me to find an actual urgent care or to make an appt. I stood there, with a room full of people, and I cried. I just cried and asked "why won't you help me, I am in trouble." Well out from a room came a nurse who took over and helped me. Completely changed the dynamic and made me feel like I was with someone who cared. This goes a long way towards healing. It just does. Even they were worried about infection after they treated it (it was fine over time). But I will never forget that experience, both the bad and the good. I go back to that shore town often and when I pass that office, I remember. And what I remember is that they made me feel like I was a nuisance, and then they made me feel like it was going to be ok. Very conflicting messages. So... I would never go back to that office but they came through for me in the end. It comes down to a Maya Angelou quote - "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

I really am in awe of how you show up every day for your kitties and I just know you are making them feel comforted and loved. You are fierce, lady :)

Wondering how you are all doing today...

Thank you @facetgirl, your kind comments touch my heart. It's amazing how kindness really helps one through tough times.

We are doing OK. Thank you for asking. Fred ate this morning and that is always a happy event. Though he did not move from the couch so that is where I fed him. His arthritis is pretty bad so it's hard for him to move and I am hoping the Duralactin kicks in soon. I actually have been giving him one in the AM and one in the PM as @Matata suggested. At first I didn't want to give him more than one a day since he is on so many things but I got impatient. LOL. Fingers crossed it provides him with some relief. Not sure if I should continue the Gabapentin which was what we were giving him for his arthritis since we had to d/c the steroids once RW was diagnosed.

Bobby and Tommy ate a bit this morning (feeding time in the AM is struggle with the adult cats) and we administered the Itrafungol to them as well as Oliver who kinehora still has a good appetite. Not sure how much longer we are giving them the Itrafungol. Very anxious about next week's culture. If they are not negative (and Fred is the biggest if regarding that) I do not know what we can do. My big concern is if Fred has RW still he can reinfect everyone else. And if Bobby or Tommy or Oliver still has RW I do not know what more we can do. But right now I think the biggest risk is Fred having RW and reinfecting the other cats.

Besides that worry we are doing fine and hanging in there. I attempt feeding them many times throughout the day as they all (Oliver stayed the same which is not good either) lost weight and we have to keep their weight up. I spend lots of time coaxing them to eat.

We have to take care of Tommy and his hyperthyroidism but as long as we are treating him for RW that is not something I want to add. I read that Itrafungol can increase the concentration of other meds including Thyroid meds. So for many reasons (want to stop torturing the cats, want to go back home to Brooklyn, want to resume life as normal, want to have to stop cleaning the entire house every day, want to get some rest and most importantly want to get Tommy treated for his hyperthyroidism!) we just want to be done with RW. Go away RW and leave our cats alone.

I know I shared this photo before but not sure you saw it. I think it might be the only relatively current photo I have of the 3 adult cats together. This was right before RW gate.

tommybobbyandfredarearug.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i feel like ive been peeling onions for an hour

Haha yes same here. Bittersweet tears for me. Missing Francesca so freaking much. I know people might be thinking suck it up. Get over it already. But I still feel a deep gut punch when I think of her. She was such a huge part of our life. She was our little girl. Our daughter. Yes, she was not human I know, but she was still my little girl. And I love her as much (more) as I love anyone dear to me. I know most people don't get it. They don't have to. Just sharing how I am feeling. And I still cannot think of her without a deep pain searing through my soul.

Today is the 4 month anniversary of her death.
:cry:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.00.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.00.15 AM.png

Reactions: AV_

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy It's possible that the gabapentin, which has a sedative effect on a lot of cats, is contributing to Fred's listlessness. It's often recommended by vets to be given to cats who are difficult to handle for exams because of its mellowing effects. Fred could be pleasantly stoned. Maybe weaning him off that by gradually lowering the dose will show whether the Duralactin is working.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha yes same here. Bittersweet tears for me. Missing Francesca so freaking much. I know people might be thinking suck it up. Get over it already. But I still feel a deep gut punch when I think of her. She was such a huge part of our life. She was our little girl. Our daughter. Yes, she was not human I know, but she was still my little girl. And I love her as much (more) as I love anyone dear to me. I know most people don't get it. They don't have to. Just sharing how I am feeling. And I still cannot think of her without a deep pain searing through my soul.

Today is the 4 month anniversary of her death.
:cry:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.00.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 7.00.15 AM.png
its ok Missy
its ok to grieve over Francesca for ever
as much as i love Borris and Tibby i still miss Tinky every day and ive cried a river for him
people who don't understand that don't understand love

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy It's possible that the gabapentin, which has a sedative effect on a lot of cats, is contributing to Fred's listlessness. It's often recommended by vets to be given to cats who are difficult to handle for exams because of its mellowing effects. Fred could be pleasantly stoned. Maybe weaning him off that by gradually lowering the dose will show whether the Duralactin is working.

Thanks Matata. I did take him off Gabapentin for 3 weeks (about a 6 weeks ago) thinking it was the Gabapentin causing his listlessness. However after 3 weeks off the med his listlessness and staring straight ahead and keeping eyes open when laying down not improve so I started giving it to him again every other day. In the hopes that it would help ease his arthritic pain.

It's so bad now. He can barely walk (his legs are all twisty) and he rarely moves because of it. He can no longer jump up on our couch and he refuses to use the step we made for him to help him up. So now we always have to carry him to the couch and put him there. What happens is when he has to urinate or have a BM he goes down from the couch (he can still do that thankfully) and pees or has a BM on the floor (never uses the litter box anymore but I am grateful he isn't peeing on the couch and hope he doesn't decide to start) and then he cannot get back on the couch. So if we aren't home he remains on the floor. It's very sad. But he is still eating and purring when hanging out with us and we are just hoping he can make it through this RW ordeal and then we can give him the steroids that had been previously helping both his asthma and arthritis. Plus I have high hopes the Duralactin will help him too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its ok Missy
its ok to grieve over Francesca for ever
as much as i love Borris and Tibby i still miss Tinky every day and ive cried a river for him
people who don't understand that don't understand love

Thanks Daisy. That is so true.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how are the furbabies today ?
cat-comics-lingvistov-4.jpg

This cracks me up because I CANNOT FIND Hugo's stash, but I know he has one! He plays with sparkle balls, and they are 30 or 36 to a pack, and I have gone through TWO WHOLE PACKS yet can find only 8 balls. So they have to be somewhere! I've looked under and behind all the furniture in every room but can't find them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This cracks me up because I CANNOT FIND Hugo's stash, but I know he has one! He plays with sparkle balls, and they are 30 or 36 to a pack, and I have gone through TWO WHOLE PACKS yet can find only 8 balls. So they have to be somewhere! I've looked under and behind all the furniture in every room but can't find them.
Tinky was always sprawled on the floor with his arm under a piece of furniture
they are just soooo cute

I think lots get lost under the fridge :cry2:
Tinky's toy of choice was clothes pegs because they were really fast on the kitchen lino, if i was outside picking them up under the clothes line they was no way i could hook them away from him without great risk of personal injury :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL yes we always just keep buying more and then eventually we find them and have dozens and dozens of their toys. Sadly we had to throw almost everything out after the RW diagnosis and haven't been able to replace it. Waiting til they get the all clear. But I know they miss scratching and playing and doing all those cat things they no longer can do. It's too sad that we had to remove almost all of their toys. We have left plastic balls we can easily disinfect but it is not the same thing.

how are the furbabies today ?
cat-comics-lingvistov-4.jpg

They are OK I guess. Thank you for asking.

Woke up (rather Oliver woke us at 3:30AM) and went downstairs and Fred was on the floor next to the couch (on a sheet we left for him just in case he jumped down from the couch overnight since he cannot get back up) and he had peed (a lot) in front of the front door. His usual spot. We have a rubber mat there since he usually pees there but it did not contain it all. No biggie. If that was our biggest problem we would be in great shape. Nope not even close.

I fed everyone (with the probiotic and Fred got the Duralactin) but as usual Tommy hardly ate even after much coaxing with all his fave treats. Then we gave the Itrafungol to Bobby, Tommy and Oliver. In about 2 hours Oliver then gets his Flagyl. Waiting about 4 hours between probiotic and flagyl dose so as not to interfere and the Flagyl is twice a day so we give that again in the evening. In about an hour or so we will start cleaning. Wash, rinse, repeat. Pretty tiring but one day at a time.

I scared myself yesterday reading the Cat Site forum where there is a huge RW thread. It's an old thread a few years old but it's still helpful. Though there are people on that thread that even after aggressively treating for many months still had cats with RW. That concerns me especially because Fred is not getting Itrafungol. Some write there that without the Itrafungol much less chance the immune compromised cat will get over RW. And Fred is just that. So yeah very concerned.

Tomorrow Greg has to go to HSS for his orthopedic re eval since he desperately needs knee replacement surgery and we don't know if we are going to be able to handle that with RW if the cats are not RW free soon. That would mean I have to care for everyone and clean the entire house myself and give them the meds myself. Which would not be possible. I mean I could clean the entire house myself daily but then I might go down to 80lbs. But more worrisome is we need 2 people to administer the meds to the cats. So what are we going to do IDK but let's see what Greg's surgeon at HSS has to say tomorrow. Not to mention if Greg does have the surgery we have to go back to NYC/Brooklyn in order to make it possible. So that would mean potentially contaminating a whole other home. One that is much more difficult to clean due to papers/books and more stuff around vs the more minimalist beach house furniture and decor. No, I cannot even bear to think about cleaning the Brooklyn home the way we have been cleaning the beach house.

I hope to be able to come here one day and give the happy news they are all RW free. I hope and pray so hard that day will come. There are moments I feel that day might never come.

Leaving you with a photo of Tommy the mocha leopard roaring last night. I am now letting them climb all over me again and it goes a long way in making them happy. Just hope I don't regret that move. Anyway here is Tommy roaring at us last night. Haha he is devastatingly handsome despite all he is going through. Don't you agree? He looks fierce but he is the sweetest sugar pie ever. Truly a sweetheart.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 5.18.56 AM.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are all georgouse missy, on the outside and the inside but ive always loved the tabbies

somehow you will get through this

best wishes for all the right news from Greg's doctor
my late FIL had knee replacement on both (not at once of course) and he was old - but bounced back both times to playing 9 holes of golf quite quickly and Greg is much younger

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
they are all georgouse missy, on the outside and the inside but ive always loved the tabbies

somehow you will get through this

best wishes for all the right news from Greg's doctor
my late FIL had knee replacement on both (not at once of course) and he was old - but bounced back both times to playing 9 holes of golf quite quickly and Greg is much younger

Thanks Daisy. I am glad sorry your FIL is gone now but glad his knee surgery was successful when he had it. Greg is pretty old (how did that happen...was just yesterday we were both so young) so I am guessing your FIL was not much older at the time of his knee replacement surgery. However that doesn't matter really just worried because timing sort of sucks.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and he should have had the knee replacement done last autumn but we put it off for this autumn. Of course now we realize that. Greg always says no use lamenting over what was and now we have to deal with reality. But of course I like looking back torturing myself. I never thought of myself as a masochist however so I must stop doing that.

He has no cartilage left. Zero. The surgeon said last year he does not even know how Greg is walking let alone cycling thousands of miles. Greg is in pain but he has a high tolerance for it and when he gets sick he is not the typical male. He just sucks it up and deals with it. But the knee situation is at the point of no return. So really he is going tomorrow to get the necessary tests and to schedule a knee surgery appt. I just don't know the logistics of the situation. If we put it off til winter it will bleed over into cycling season which would be most unfortunate. But that might be the only way we can proceed. Put it off til Jan/Feb and pray the cats are RW free at that time. But ideally we wanted him to have it in November so he would be able to cycle in April/May.

And if our cats are not RW free by Jan/Feb well we have bigger problems then.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Daisy. I am glad sorry your FIL is gone now but glad his knee surgery was successful when he had it. Greg is pretty old (how did that happen...was just yesterday we were both so young) so I am guessing your FIL was not much older at the time of his knee replacement surgery. However that doesn't matter really just worried because timing sort of sucks.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and he should have had the knee replacement done last autumn but we put it off for this autumn. Of course now we realize that. Greg always says no use lamenting over what was and now we have to deal with reality. But of course I like looking back torturing myself. I never thought of myself as a masochist however so I must stop doing that.

He has no cartilage left. Zero. The surgeon said last year he does not even know how Greg is walking let alone cycling thousands of miles. Greg is in pain but he has a high tolerance for it and when he gets sick he is not the typical male. He just sucks it up and deals with it. But the knee situation is at the point of no return. So really he is going tomorrow to get the necessary tests and to schedule a knee surgery appt. I just don't know the logistics of the situation. If we put it off til winter it will bleed over into cycling season which would be most unfortunate. But that might be the only way we can proceed. Put it off til Jan/Feb and pray the cats are RW free at that time. But ideally we wanted him to have it in November so he would be able to cycle in April/May.

And if our cats are not RW free by Jan/Feb well we have bigger problems then.
ive known quite a few people with knee replacements and they all wish they had done it sooner just to be rid of the pain
my FIL was in his 70s
he lived a long happy life, happy that he imigrated from Ireland to NZ when Gary was a wee boy
i wish i had known Gary mum longer, with our age difference his mum and dad were so much older than me

and so your right all of a sudden everyone is getting older
Gary just turned 67, Bruce is 70 !!
im 48 - but they are just numbers
but its scary how far into the 21st century we know are and how long ago those things that seemed like yesterday really are

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ive known quite a few people with knee replacements and they all wish they had done it sooner just to be rid of the pain
my FIL was in his 70s
he lived a long happy life, happy that he imigrated from Ireland to NZ when Gary was a wee boy
i wish i had known Gary mum longer, with our age difference his mum and dad were so much older than me

and so your right all of a sudden everyone is getting older
Gary just turned 67, Bruce is 70 !!
im 48 - but they are just numbers
but its scary how far into the 21st century we know are and how long ago those things that seemed like yesterday really are

You are right. Greg is 61 so younger than your FIL was. Hehe now that I am in my mid 50s 61 seems young. LOL and 48. Well you are just a young lass. :halo: And yes indeed. How long ago those things that seemed just like yesterday really are...

So true. :(

Yesterday Francesca was with us.
(and in my one wish thread I change my answer...I want for that wish to have Francesca back with us. Greg was right in wishing that)

"Today there's a shadow hanging over me.
Why she had to go
I don't know
She wouldn't say
Now I long for yesterday...
Love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh I believe in yesterday."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results