shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry it has spread and everyone has it! That's got to be so hard. Just keep going one day at a time and eventually you'll be through it.

Is it possible to shave the cats? I know that helps with shedding spores and makes it easier to see if they have new spots and apply topical treatments. I know it's a lot and everyone would look funny for several months, but just trying to think of things that may make your life a little easier while dealing with this.

Also I know the medicine you're giving them is supposed to be the most effective but is it possible to get one in pill form, even if it's not that one? I don't think I could give my cats a whole syringe of liquid, and I'm pretty used to giving them pills. Pills with the pill-popper are pretty easy once you get the idea down, and learn that you have to swirl your finger around the cat's mouth afterwards to check that they swallowed it and didn't somehow hide it under their tongue (T is an EXPERT at hiding the pill under his tongue).

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I cannot believe that such a kind act in rescuing that cute little kitty could lead to so much trouble. There has to be a way for you to get on top of this, such that the torment for you, your DH, and your four cats ends as soon as possible.

In reading thru the thread it does seem that total isolation and daily treatment and disinfection is the only way to end this asap. I wonder if getting the cats out of the house and maybe into the garage or out into the garden with each kitty confined to a pen something like THIS might work. It should cut down on your laundry load and allow you to get the house totally disinfected and ready for when the treatment regime ends and the cats are cured.

I know you love your kittys with all your heart, but I wonder if what might seem to be cruel in the short term would actually be kind in the long term, because it would mean an end to daily treatments in the shortest time possible.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww so adorable. But sadly nope not an option for our kitties. They are sort of like title wild lions. They won't tolerate wearing that and it doesn't seem practical tbh but I so appreciate your brainstorming for me. Thank you.

Thank you sweet Daisy. Yes we all adore fresh laundry. But this high heat business is OTT but it has to be. I am hoping our washing machines can deal with the volume of hot washes we are doing every single day.

We have a possible added complication that would explain why Greg got ringworm. We expected I would get it as I get everything since my immune system sucks. Well Greg just might have shingles. I do not know what consequences that might have for this ringworm business but I know he can get a very bad infection from the ringworm if he does have shingles. Just when you think OK we have somewhat of a handle on things...You cannot make this stuff up.::)
OMG please by a lotto ticket because this has to be the end of your bad luck
i know a few people who have had shingles of varying ages and its stress related

im really good at washing- laundry is the only house work i like but id be terryified of the power bill with all that hot water, i hope that's not a worry for you
we got a dryer last winter in desperation but i still like to hang the sheets on the line in the sun
i read sunlight kills ringworm but even if you had a NZ type clothes line you'd be exhausted hanging it out and bringing it in with the volume your enduring
i wish i could pop over and just do a few loads for you while you go out for a few hours to destress down the shore (i wouldn't try your jewlwey on i promise)

on my google feed i get updates from these inspiring cat rescue stories called love meow
you belong on one of those stories because i know you can get through it
Francesca would know you can too

someone must be able to come help you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I cannot believe that such a kind act in rescuing that cute little kitty could lead to so much trouble. There has to be a way for you to get on top of this, such that the torment for you, your DH, and your four cats ends as soon as possible.

In reading thru the thread it does seem that total isolation and daily treatment and disinfection is the only way to end this asap. I wonder if getting the cats out of the house and maybe into the garage or out into the garden with each kitty confined to a pen something like THIS might work. It should cut down on your laundry load and allow you to get the house totally disinfected and ready for when the treatment regime ends and the cats are cured.

I know you love your kittys with all your heart, but I wonder if what might seem to be cruel in the short term would actually be kind in the long term, because it would mean an end to daily treatments in the shortest time possible.
that doesn't sound so bad
When my friend's cat got run over and broke her tail she had to live in a pen for 6 weeks
she hated it but was such a good girl, she never hated the family and being a cat used to freedom she didn't like the litter box but she let my friend's mum take her out to the garden a couple of times a day
the big cage lived in the lounge so Katy was still feel a part of the family
cats - although suspicious by nature and with a long memory are still very forgiving and loving - even ex ferrals and strays

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, thank you all so much. I am trying not to let this snowball in my mind but it just keeps getting worse. I am trying to deal with right now and live in the moment and not look ahead but it is hard. This AM Tommy fought like a wild tiger and hurt Greg and might have hurt himself. He is hiding right now and I am so worried he might have broken his leg or something. He jumped on top of the fridge into a tiny space when we were trying to get him to give him the meds and then Greg got a ladder and tried getting him out and he meowed loudly and clawed Greg and jumped a long distance down and scattered. He might have really hurt himself. This is such a nightmare. I cannot believe we have to torture the cats for a maybe cure. And now if Tommy is badly hurt we go from bad to worse. All at 4AM in the morning. Too early and too much.:cry2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry it has spread and everyone has it! That's got to be so hard. Just keep going one day at a time and eventually you'll be through it.

Is it possible to shave the cats? I know that helps with shedding spores and makes it easier to see if they have new spots and apply topical treatments. I know it's a lot and everyone would look funny for several months, but just trying to think of things that may make your life a little easier while dealing with this.

Also I know the medicine you're giving them is supposed to be the most effective but is it possible to get one in pill form, even if it's not that one? I don't think I could give my cats a whole syringe of liquid, and I'm pretty used to giving them pills. Pills with the pill-popper are pretty easy once you get the idea down, and learn that you have to swirl your finger around the cat's mouth afterwards to check that they swallowed it and didn't somehow hide it under their tongue (T is an EXPERT at hiding the pill under his tongue).

Thanks Distracts. I thought of that and it's best for long hair cats. The vet doesn't want to do this. One we would have to sedate each one of the cats to do this and as you know Fred is almost 16 and not in great health. Plus the literature indicates that shaving them could make things worse if they get nicked even a little bit so while I love the idea of being able to see every possible ringworm spot on the cats I don't think this is practical for our cats.

Itrafungol is the best med for severe ringworm. If one doesn't have severe ringworm we could have tried other options but for our cats this is it. And this AM was a freaking nightmare with how the cats fought so hard against the meds. I cannot emphasize enough how this is the hardest thing we have ever been through and that includes me being housebound for almost 8 months with a Pilon fracture and having to wait 10 days with 2 broken bones for the surgery due to massive swelling. But I digress. Right now I need to gather up all the positive energy I can to get us all through this. One thing on top of another. It's bad enough it's so contagious to all the cats but to us too so we cannot even hug and kiss them and let them know it's going to be OK. And frankly, I don't know that it will be.

OMG Oliver is so adorable. He is chewing on my computer as I type this. I know we should not let him run all over the bedroom but he is 3 months old. He needs some play activity and space to run and some loving. I just don't know what to freaking do. We are doing the best we can but but it might not be enough.

Distracts just so you know I so appreciate your input and advice and support. Knowing you have been through it albeit a bit differently brings me some comfort. But you did everything right. At this point with 4 cats (2 older ones) and not the right space to confine them we just are not doing this by the book. I want to but it is not possible. We cannot confine four cats to a tiny room. Anyway thank you for coming to the thread and sharing your wisdom. Please continue to come here and share even if I cannot do everything exactly like I should it helps to hear from you since you have been through it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you prs. I know right? I cannot believe it either. it is pure torture and torment and our cats are bewildered and upset and scared and I cannot believe what we are putting them through. And this is only day 3 of the meds. SMH.

We do not have a garage here. Our house is mainly all open. I am not trying to be difficult. I want to be able to do things exactly right. If everything goes right the shortest possible treatment time is 42 days. That is if we do everything right. We are not doing everything right but we are doing things to the best of our ability. I don't know what else to say. I appreciate the input and advice very much.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guys, thank you all so much. I am trying not to let this snowball in my mind but it just keeps getting worse. I am trying to deal with right now and live in the moment and not look ahead but it is hard. This AM Tommy fought like a wild tiger and hurt Greg and might have hurt himself. He is hiding right now and I am so worried he might have broken his leg or something. He jumped on top of the fridge into a tiny space when we were trying to get him to give him the meds and then Greg got a ladder and tried getting him out and he meowed loudly and clawed Greg and jumped a long distance down and scattered. He might have really hurt himself. This is such a nightmare. I cannot believe we have to torture the cats for a maybe cure. And now if Tommy is badly hurt we go from bad to worse. All at 4AM in the morning. Too early and too much.:cry2:
Tommy might just be bruised and a bit spooked
there guys jump out of trees remember
Just try and leave him be for a wee while and he'll come back out
this is all so traumatic for everyone my heart just breaks
what about getting the cages even of just for a couole of weeks ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at this face

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.46.11 AM.png

He was so miserable in the playpen all night and when we let him out he was so happy. Running and jumping (and causing the spores to go all over the bedroom ugh) and now laying next to me on the bed. Poor baby. He has had such a tough beginning. Wearing the cone for 3 weeks, having a severe corneal ulcer and still he has parasites. Sweet dear Oliver. Patient 0.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tommy might just be bruised and a bit spooked
there guys jump out of trees remember
Just try and leave him be for a wee while and he'll come back out
this is all so traumatic for everyone my heart just breaks
what about getting the cages even of just for a couole of weeks ?

Hi Daisy, thanks for your suggestions. I really do appreciate every one of them. The cages still let the spores through. And it is not enough space for the cats. Let me give you some history about Tommy. Tommy was a mouser at work. Kept in the most awful of conditions. Dark dirty dusty basement in the building with very little food to keep him hungry to chase and kill the mice there. When I found out about his existence he had been there for 2 years already. 2 years! Well Greg and I visited him and played with him and fed him every weekend and when I was at work (twice a week there) I would feed him and play with him during my breaks. I worked on the super there and finally he agreed to let me take him to a local vet to get him checked out and vaccinated etc. It was after that the super agreed to let me take him away from the basement permanently. And that is how Greg and I ended up with 4 cats. We had never imagined we would have 4. Sigh. We never regretted our decision. Tommy had a miserable existence and for the past 9.5 years has been happy with us and safe. Now he is in a worse situation than before us. In his mind we have betrayed him and he is terrified. One's heart can just keep breaking can't it. Mine certainly keeps breaking since Francesca's death. You would think it was completely broken by now but nope. Still room to break some more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that doesn't sound so bad
When my friend's cat got run over and broke her tail she had to live in a pen for 6 weeks
she hated it but was such a good girl, she never hated the family and being a cat used to freedom she didn't like the litter box but she let my friend's mum take her out to the garden a couple of times a day
the big cage lived in the lounge so Katy was still feel a part of the family
cats - although suspicious by nature and with a long memory are still very forgiving and loving - even ex ferrals and strays

Oh and Tommy already broke his tail about 9 years ago. Long story but he has been through a lot poor sweet Tommy. He is a sweet cat but he does have a very wild side. I am glad your friend's cat is OK and survived that ordeal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG please by a lotto ticket because this has to be the end of your bad luck
i know a few people who have had shingles of varying ages and its stress related

im really good at washing- laundry is the only house work i like but id be terryified of the power bill with all that hot water, i hope that's not a worry for you
we got a dryer last winter in desperation but i still like to hang the sheets on the line in the sun
i read sunlight kills ringworm but even if you had a NZ type clothes line you'd be exhausted hanging it out and bringing it in with the volume your enduring
i wish i could pop over and just do a few loads for you while you go out for a few hours to destress down the shore (i wouldn't try your jewlwey on i promise)

on my google feed i get updates from these inspiring cat rescue stories called love meow
you belong on one of those stories because i know you can get through it
Francesca would know you can too

someone must be able to come help you

Thanks Daisy. I did not even think of the bills. We have spent so much to date since we adopted Oliver on his health care and now on all of the cats health care due to Oliver infecting them that I don't even care anymore. I just want them (and Greg and I) to survive this and get well.

You are so sweet. Thank you. I couldn't ask anyone to help us (physically that is). This is on us. We have to do what we can and hope for the best.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Daisy, thanks for your suggestions. I really do appreciate every one of them. The cages still let the spores through. And it is not enough space for the cats. Let me give you some history about Tommy. Tommy was a mouser at work. Kept in the most awful of conditions. Dark dirty dusty basement in the building with very little food to keep him hungry to chase and kill the mice there. When I found out about his existence he had been there for 2 years already. 2 years! Well Greg and I visited him and played with him and fed him every weekend and when I was at work (twice a week there) I would feed him and play with him during my breaks. I worked on the super there and finally he agreed to let me take him to a local vet to get him checked out and vaccinated etc. It was after that the super agreed to let me take him away from the basement permanently. And that is how Greg and I ended up with 4 cats. We had never imagined we would have 4. Sigh. We never regretted our decision. Tommy had a miserable existence and for the past 9.5 years has been happy with us and safe. Now he is in a worse situation than before us. In his mind we have betrayed him and he is terrified. One's heart can just keep breaking can't it. Mine certainly keeps breaking since Francesca's death. You would think it was completely broken by now but nope. Still room to break some more.
poor Tommy
i worked for a large regionsl rural servicing company in their head office and we had a big grain store and a hay & straw building (for townies who needed the odd bale of hay for pet rabbits etc) across the road attached to our garden centre where i worked
we had 2 resident mouses and they were our most popular and loved employeees
the firm had employed cats for many many years and they got feed 'officially' by the firm once a day
plus the public loved them
their cat door was just a square hole cut into the side of the building
i would feed them on public holidays
im sad Tommy didn't work for us but he has you now
he's tough and a surviver and he will remember you love him
i hope hubby is ok too

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy this is all so staggeringly arduous. I am in awe of your and Greg's fortitude (instead of cycling miles in the morning, think I'd be curled in a fetal position, sobbing) -- but how I wish you didn't have to demonstrate such perseverance. Sending tons of fungus spore-killing dust in your direction!
cropduster.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @missy this is all so staggeringly arduous. I am in awe of your and Greg's fortitude (instead of cycling miles in the morning, think I'd be curled in a fetal position, sobbing) -- but how I wish you didn't have to demonstrate such perseverance. Sending tons of fungus spore-killing dust in your direction!
cropduster.jpg

Thank you @MollyMalone, I appreciate the fungus spore killing dust.:!:

Cycling helps me deal with some of the stress but believe me I also manage to get a lot of crying in each day.

We must do what we must do and there is no other choice at the moment. The poor kitties are suffering and we are suffering and it's just a big mess. On the advice of a very wise friend (who also happens to be a very wise PSer who doesn't post much) I am taking things one moment at a time. Looking too far ahead even to the next day can feel overwhelming with all that is happening and cause me to snowball. Which is not helpful. Therefore I am dealing with each minute as it happens and just doing the best we can. And yes, praying for a small miracle.:pray:

Happier times. Francesca, Tommy, Bobby and Fred.

4catsonisland.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this journal article is from May 2014 but I am hoping it is still factual. Most hopeful thing I have read so far re ringworm and controlling it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4361704/

The whole piece is worthwhile to read if anyone is or in the future has to deal with this but I am just copying and pasting this one part.

The primary reason for cleaning is to remove infective material from the environment and minimize the potential for false-positive fungal cultures. it is not, as is often stated, to prevent infection of other animals or people, since transmission occurs primarily via direct contact with infected cats. There are ample case reports and case series in the literature indicating that direct contact poses a high risk of disease transmission, and only limited documentation of disease transmission in the absence of known contact with an infected animal.35 While this is not to be interpreted as ‘no risk’, but rather as lower risk than direct contact, it is nonetheless important to stress to clients, who otherwise may engage in excessive cleaning protocols based on misconceptions.

It is important to clarify that infective material can only grow and multiply on hair or skin. The pathogen grows in keratin and, unlike other types of fungus, does not multiply in the environment.

Recent (unpublished) studies by the author on decontamination of hard and soft surfaces and disinfectants have revealed that spore removal is not as difficult as previously thought. In general, if the hard or soft surface can be washed, it can be decontaminated. Specific recommendations for cleaning and disinfection are provided in the accompanying article. For the purposes of this article, some key points can be summarized as follows:

• The most important part of disinfection is the so-called ‘hard clean’ – that is, removal of debris and thorough washing with a detergent until visibly clean.

• It is important to rinse the detergent from the surface, as many disinfectants are inactivated by detergents.

• If gross debris and organic material are removed from the target surface, ready-to-use disinfectants with label claim efficacy against Trichophyton mentagrophytes are effective.36 it is important to apply these liberally and allow for an adequate wetting/contact time.

• Compounds containing accelerated hydrogen peroxide are recommended as an alternative to household bleach.

• Exposed soft materials can be washed in hot or cold water; bleach is optional. it is important not to overload the washer, and to use the longest wash cycle possible as agitation removes spores. if concern is high, wash the laundry twice.

• If only one or two cats are involved, the author recommends thorough cleaning once or twice weekly, with removal of cat hair and use of ‘one step’ cleaners on a daily basis in-between these cleanings.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Distracts. I thought of that and it's best for long hair cats. The vet doesn't want to do this. One we would have to sedate each one of the cats to do this and as you know Fred is almost 16 and not in great health. Plus the literature indicates that shaving them could make things worse if they get nicked even a little bit so while I love the idea of being able to see every possible ringworm spot on the cats I don't think this is practical for our cats.

Distracts just so you know I so appreciate your input and advice and support. Knowing you have been through it albeit a bit differently brings me some comfort. But you did everything right. At this point with 4 cats (2 older ones) and not the right space to confine them we just are not doing this by the book. I want to but it is not possible. We cannot confine four cats to a tiny room. Anyway thank you for coming to the thread and sharing your wisdom. Please continue to come here and share even if I cannot do everything exactly like I should it helps to hear from you since you have been through it.

You should not have to sedate any but the absolute wildest cat to shave them as long as the groomer has experience with cats. It is a different process than with dogs though which is why dog groomers have to sedate the cats - they are trying to do the dog method on cats and it doesn't work, so instead of working with the cat, they sedate them. I would see if you could find a cat-specific groomer who might be willing to go into your vet or come to your house to do it. I think there's pretty little risk of nicking them if the groomer is experienced. I have several friends who regularly get their older/wilder cats shaved because they no longer maintain their own fur and won't let their owners brush them, and nobody has gotten nicked - but everyone has used the same cat-only groomer.

You'll get through this! Even if you can't do everything how I did it, other people get through this all the time in multicat households.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should not have to sedate any but the absolute wildest cat to shave them as long as the groomer has experience with cats. It is a different process than with dogs though which is why dog groomers have to sedate the cats - they are trying to do the dog method on cats and it doesn't work, so instead of working with the cat, they sedate them. I would see if you could find a cat-specific groomer who might be willing to go into your vet or come to your house to do it. I think there's pretty little risk of nicking them if the groomer is experienced. I have several friends who regularly get their older/wilder cats shaved because they no longer maintain their own fur and won't let their owners brush them, and nobody has gotten nicked - but everyone has used the same cat-only groomer.

You'll get through this! Even if you can't do everything how I did it, other people get through this all the time in multicat households.

Thank you for your encouragement @distracts . It means a lot to me. I vacillate between saying OK we got this to realizing no we really don't. But I am going to keep saying to myself one day at a time, one hour at a time.

One more thing I will add: Our cats are pretty wild. Not Fred so much as he is old now but he used to be. They all had (with the exception of our sweet girl Francesca) very challenging lives before we adopted/rescued them. And Tommy was an adult when we took him in and he is super sweet. Except when you need to give him meds. And he still won't let us approach him and pick him up. Even after almost 10 years with us. We love him so much and always treat him with love and gentleness so I am of course confused why we cannot approach him. He must approach us. Still. So you can imagine the med situation. Especially all that liquid we have to put down his throat. Doing everything we can without getting sliced to ribbons.

Anyway I really appreciate your input and will see if shaving them might be a good option.

Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts or anyone else who might know about this. If I get can get an oral anti fungal prescribed for me would that make it safer to hold and hug Oliver without getting infected over a larger area of my body?
We are seeing a derm (new to us so he doesn't know us and I am not sure I will be able to get him to Rx this) tomorrow because both Greg and I now have ringworm.

One of the more upsetting aspects of this is that we cannot hug and hold Oliver very much now because ringworm is so contagious. And Ollie is only about 3 months old so he is at a critical developmental stage and it is important to hold him and touch him and socialize him. Right now we give him about 2 hours of playtime every morning but there is not a lot of touching since I am very aware how easily transmitted this is and Greg and I already have a few spots and this is just the beginning. If the derm would agree to give me oral antifungals to take would that make it safer to hold and play with Oliver?

I know the dermatologist might not be keen on it because there are side effects of oral antifungals. But I am just trying to make the best of a not good situation and want Oliver to get what he needs re development. Poor baby just looks at me from his playpen when I enter the bedroom and no longer cries because he knows I am not picking him up like I used to.:cry2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about the meds but I volunteered once with ringworm bottle fed kittens and we had to basically put on a protective long sleeved layer and disposable gloves, then that would go in the wash/trash when we finished feeding. They felt it was pretty safe if those precautions were followed. I did get scratched once and put antifungal cream for a couple of weeks as a precaution. I'd read also read the advice having a set of clothes/shoes for the quarantine room that you don't wear elsewhere. I hope your local shelter or vet is able to advise on how to make this easier on you and Greg and the kitties.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I am not sure of an answer regarding if you’re taking oral anti fungals if you can continue to be exposed and not get new spots. But I do remember when my son was on oral anti fungals, he had to be blood tested regularly to be sure his kidney (I think) function remained normal. This may be a deterrent to being prescribed these, especially as your exposure is ongoing.
I’m sorry you have so much on your plate. ((Hugs)) :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this video?

Thanks Pinto. Great video and I appreciate you sharing it. I want to kiss them all too. I guess I should probably get gloves. I need latex free hypoallergenic gloves. Any suggestions? I am touching them with my bare hands applying the topicals and petting them etc.

It's so much easier with kittens. Oliver is a breeze to care for even with ringworm. But Fred and Bobby and Tommy are fighting hard against the meds. Bobby's hair is coming out in chunks. Scary chunks and Tommy is being very fierce when it comes to the oral Itrafungol administering. It took us a full hour to do oral meds today. And we cannot shampoo them. They simply will not tolerate it.

Oliver is easy just like in the video. He doesn't struggle when we give him meds oral or topical. But the adult cats fight everything and now are not really eating which is critical to fighting the fungus and also critical to have food in their system to absorb the (oral anti fungal med) Itrafungol. This morning was hard and it is upsetting to see them scared and suffering.

We are going to have to let Fred out of isolation today as he just won't eat anymore because he is not happy being isolated. His age and medical condition (severe arthritis and asthma) make him the most fragile and isolating him is making his health go downhill faster. So Greg and I are just going to let everyone out and pray we don't all come down with more severe ringworm.

We will continue daily cleaning throughout the house but I am not sure it will be enough as I know tens of thousands of fungal spores are being released with all 4 of our cats infected with ringworm. Kitties are easy to isolate in small areas but fully grown adult and senior cats not so much.

@PintoBean thanks for sharing and if you have anything extra to add please do. I have wanted to call you but haven't had the time. It's almost round the clock here with caring for the 4 infected cats and cleaning up this big house and then I spend most of the night awake not sleeping and get out of bed and repeat the whole routine. Minus an occasional bike ride which looks like we might not have time for most of this week. And what is this few weeks thing. Everything I have read says it can take months to get rid of and that is if we are lucky. Oy. I definitely see the downside of having more than one cat. 4 cats with ringworm is 4 times the headache for sure. No make that 6 with ringworm as we have it too. :sick:

Just for Auntie Pintobean...from Oliver...he's sending purrs and meows your and your furry crew's way. Hope everyone is doing purry well by you.

oliverandringworm.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about the meds but I volunteered once with ringworm bottle fed kittens and we had to basically put on a protective long sleeved layer and disposable gloves, then that would go in the wash/trash when we finished feeding. They felt it was pretty safe if those precautions were followed. I did get scratched once and put antifungal cream for a couple of weeks as a precaution. I'd read also read the advice having a set of clothes/shoes for the quarantine room that you don't wear elsewhere. I hope your local shelter or vet is able to advise on how to make this easier on you and Greg and the kitties.

I have been doing everything without gloves or real protection. With 4 infected cats in our house everything is more challenging. Can you link the disposable gloves you used? If I can find disposable gloves that are hypoallergenic and easy to handle the cats with I would love to get them. Thanks Bludiva. Appreciate your input.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a very informative video @PintoBean

@missy You and Greg are heroes! ♥️

Hardly but thanks Slick. It's true we started out wanting to save Ollie's eye so took on a more challenging kitty to rescue but we would not have volunteered to take a ringworm kitty if we knew. Mainly because we have 3 other cats 2 of whom are not in great health. And the surprising thing is the one we thought was in the best health (Bobby) has at this point in time the worst case of ringworm of anyone of the cats. It's distressing to say the least. The woman in the video made it all seem very manageable but she is helping ringworm kitties who are easy to handle and give meds to. She hasn't encountered 3 very stubborn and fierce cats who are determined to escape meds at all costs. And now they won't eat which is critical for absorbing the oral anitfungals. Plus critical to getting well. I know we can only do the best we can do which is not the best anyone can do. @distracts is my hero and I wish I could borrow her for a month or 2 lol. 4 cats with ringworm is making life very unpleasant right now and for the foreseeable future. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. And thinking of you and the happy and exciting times you have coming your way. XO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
dear Missy
just checking in before we go to bed
my other half wouod just not cope with this
your both doing ok
i can imangine how destressing it is with the older kitties
and poor Ollie, he'd just a baby
your all in my thoughts and prayers

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dear Missy
just checking in before we go to bed
my other half wouod just not cope with this
your both doing ok
i can imangine how destressing it is with the older kitties
and poor Ollie, he'd just a baby
your all in my thoughts and prayers

Thank you Daisy. Sweet dreams. Truth be told Greg is handling this much better than I am. But I am working on it and trying to keep calm and positive and not let the anxiety and fear overwhelm me. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers and thank you for your support here. I greatly appreciate it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Daisy. Sweet dreams. Truth be told Greg is handling this much better than I am. But I am working on it and trying to keep calm and positive and not let the anxiety and fear overwhelm me. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers and thank you for your support here. I greatly appreciate it.
i think your copping better than i would
id be curled up in a ball crying, Gary would be yelling, Borris would be running around the house like there was an earthquake and Tibby would have reverted to his true ferral self days ago
you'll get through this
he's a cat kiss from Tibby
that's some stinky cat food on his bottom lip
he's saving it for latter 20190727_143222.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results