shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, could Fred be administered a prescription laxative? I know with my Tager after he had his enemas and was disimpacted, the vet had us put him on a combo of prescription laxative (whose name I can't remember) as well as a twice daily dose of hairball medication for several weeks after. He was a challenge to get medication into, so we had to dissolve both of these things in hot water and then dribble them into his mouth with a syringe, but it really helped.

I do think Fred is looking better in terms of the ringworm in his pictures. I will continue to send him dust that he starts to feel better overall soon.

Poor Ollie! He must be a bundle of energy being cooped up all the time. I can only imagine what it's like to share your bedroom with a bored adolescent cat!!! Could you tired him out with one of those toys on a string? I bought one once that was like fly fishing lures that the wand and the lures were sold separately, so that the lures could be tossed and replaced when needed. Might save you some cleaning issues and give him a way to work off some of that energy.

Hopefully things are turning a corner and are just not obvious yet! Keep hanging in there. There has to be an end in sight.

Thanks @cmd2014 I have been looking into prescription laxatives and might ask the vet to please prescribe one. It's just Fred is on so much stuff at the moment. And he seems to vomit anything I try giving him even when just added to his food. The one I was looking at is out of stock at Chewy but I am sure I can find it many places. Lactulose. I have to call my sister and ask her which one she likes best. I appreciate all your suggestions and good wishes. Thank you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh poor Fred
my heart breaks for everyone
the best cat toys are things not marketed as cat toys !
Tinky loved plastic clothes pegs
he would chase them and stash them all over the house and they skid really awsome on lino/vinyl/ tiles or wood floors and carpet for that matter - although they hurt if you stand on one in the middle of the night
i always had to be very careful picking pegs up off the lawn because Tinky thought it was a game and he was quite possessive of his clothes pegs
i realise you don't have a clothes line so you wont have a nornal need for pegs but they are cheap and they would be easy to clean

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@SandyinAnaheim the probiotic says it helps with diarrhea. You still recommend it for Fred's constipation, correct? Thanks.
Hi @missy In an overabundance of caution, I called Purina directly to ask your question and get the right answer. I was informed, as I suspected, that the FortiFlora works for both diarrhea and constipation by the same mechanism, which is re-balancing the gut. There is actually no ingredient in it that would either stop diarrhea or cause/cure constipation, the improvement of gastrointestinal issues are just happy byproducts of getting the gut flora back to normal. I encourage you to call for yourself and ask more questions if you wish. https://www.proplanvetdirect.com/shop-cat-1/fortiflora/feline-fortiflora-probiotic (and there's a coupon code on this page)

I apologize for not responding to you last night, but I rarely speak to that which I do not know. I make suggestions based on what I already know and can prove, but asking me a question outside of my field of knowledge will get me to go find out and learn more. I would hate to give bad advice. All the kitties will need this supplementation until they're back to normal because they've been taking meds, but maybe you can start Fred at a half dosage just to see how it goes.

Dear @SandyinAnaheim I had a feeling you lived in Southern California. I wouldn't dream of asking you to come here but you are so kind and wonderful to offer. Thank you for the video. I will watch it right away. We wrap the kitties in a big towel when we give them Itrafungol so hopefully we are doing it right. It works well. Fred is not getting Itrafungol and that is why I am scratching my head why is he so constipated? It could be IBD though we haven't seen the other extreme of this condition or it could be something else. Right now focusing on RW but yes I plan on giving him the probiotic you linked. Thank you so much for that suggestion. He is eating and drinking knock wood. Just not having BMs.

Thank you again Sandy. Your kindness brings tears to my eyes. Honestly it does. Just knowing there are loving and kind people who care makes it easier to bear. (((Hugs))).

ETA: Just watched the video, thanks. We wrap their entire body in a towel to give them the oral anti fungal liquid but I can see where this technique would help when needing some of their body free to administer topical meds. Thank you for this.
You're welcome missy. You didn't ask, I offered. I feel bad because in the event you think it in their best interest to be shaved to treat their skin and heal faster, and not be able to find someone competent, I would be only too happy to help. I made the RT flight from Miami to LA every other month with quick turnarounds for nearly 8 years before I moved out here, so I know what I was offering....

As for the cowling technique, I don't know how the kitties respond to the towel method (aka burrito method). I have many cats that hate and fight the burrito method when I do their nails because they feel trapped and still feel hands on them. This method is a lower stress alternative in that they are not trapped and their is very little handling. It is derived from the amazing late Dr. Sophia Yin, veterinarian and animal behaviorist, that revolutionized animal handling techniques in veterinary practice. I thought it might be a helpful alternative to know about, should you need it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TP. We have a scratching post for him in the bedroom that I disinfect with Rescue every day. I also give him a new plastic ball every day for him to play and run with. Sadly we had to get rid of all his material worms that he loved. He used to go crazy for them. Until I know he is clear I don't want to start buying lots more stuff. We threw out so much. Though we did keep all the trees and bigger scratching posts and bleach or Rescue it every day.

How did the dental work go today? Thinking of you and your sweet furbaby and hoping it went/goes smoothly.

Thanks for asking. The dental went well. His gums are receded, but bone and teeth very solid and healthy. Not even pitting. No extractions or anything like that needed. They did x-rays to confirm all well under the gum line too.

How about something like this? You could skip the wand part and just do strips of fleece. 1" by however long. A yard of fabric would last a month. Just toss it and get a new strip each day.
https://www.chewy.com/cat-dancer-ca...MIq-6v_cDx5AIVEb3sCh1USwmWEAQYAiABEgLgKvD_BwE

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy In an overabundance of caution, I called Purina directly to ask your question and get the right answer. I was informed, as I suspected, that the FortiFlora works for both diarrhea and constipation by the same mechanism, which is re-balancing the gut. There is actually no ingredient in it that would either stop diarrhea or cause/cure constipation, the improvement of gastrointestinal issues are just happy byproducts of getting the gut flora back to normal. I encourage you to call for yourself and ask more questions if you wish. https://www.proplanvetdirect.com/shop-cat-1/fortiflora/feline-fortiflora-probiotic (and there's a coupon code on this page)

I apologize for not responding to you last night, but I rarely speak to that which I do not know. I make suggestions based on what I already know and can prove, but asking me a question outside of my field of knowledge will get me to go find out and learn more. I would hate to give bad advice. All the kitties will need this supplementation until they're back to normal because they've been taking meds, but maybe you can start Fred at a half dosage just to see how it goes.

You're welcome missy. You didn't ask, I offered. I feel bad because in the event you think it in their best interest to be shaved to treat their skin and heal faster, and not be able to find someone competent, I would be only too happy to help. I made the RT flight from Miami to LA every other month with quick turnarounds for nearly 8 years before I moved out here, so I know what I was offering....

As for the cowling technique, I don't know how the kitties respond to the towel method (aka burrito method). I have many cats that hate and fight the burrito method when I do their nails because they feel trapped and still feel hands on them. This method is a lower stress alternative in that they are not trapped and their is very little handling. It is derived from the amazing late Dr. Sophia Yin, veterinarian and animal behaviorist, that revolutionized animal handling techniques in veterinary practice. I thought it might be a helpful alternative to know about, should you need it.

@SandyinAnaheim thank you so much, I appreciate you taking the time and energy to call them. I also very much appreciate your caution in giving advice. The FortiFlora already arrived (Chewy rocks) and I fed a quarter of a packet to Fred so far. He ate it so that is a good start. I am starting him slowly and building up to the full dose.

I will have to order the larger size to start all the kitties on it and that is a great suggestion thank you. I should have done that initially I am just overwhelmed and sleeping so little that I am not thinking as clearly as I should be.

Oliver now has very loose stool (past 4-5days) and in fact I just sent Greg over to the veterinary practice with Oliver's stool. This cat has had everything and though they checked him now three times for parasites and he finally got the all clear I have a bad feeling about this latest round of loose stool from him for the past 4-5 days. I hope it is just the Itrafungol but since his history has been what it is I want them to recheck him for parasites including Giardia though I am not sure how one checks for Giardia. I am pretty sure they didn't test him for that.

Thanks for the further info re the cowling technique. I will have Greg watch the video to see if he thinks it might be a good alternative. Our cats seem OK with the towel technique though they really loathe the Itrafungol. It tastes awful so I feel bad we have to force it down their throats and for over 2 months now :/

And once again from the bottom of my heart thank you so much for your too generous offer to come here and shave the cats. I am so touched by your kindness. Right now I am hoping (and praying) they are on the road to recovery and do not need to be shaved but I will keep your kind and generous offer in mind. Bobby's face definitely has new areas of hair loss but right now we are just going to stay the course and hope it will rid them of this fungus. His back is regrowing hair as is his neck the original area of hair loss on both Tommy and Bobby. I don't know why Bobby has new hair loss on his face and if it is new RW areas all I can do is SMH but again just continue the course.

Thank you so much Sandy for everything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking. The dental went well. His gums are receded, but bone and teeth very solid and healthy. Not even pitting. No extractions or anything like that needed. They did x-rays to confirm all well under the gum line too.

How about something like this? You could skip the wand part and just do strips of fleece. 1" by however long. A yard of fabric would last a month. Just toss it and get a new strip each day.
https://www.chewy.com/cat-dancer-cat-charmer-toy-rainbow/dp/149824?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Cat Dancer&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-6v_cDx5AIVEb3sCh1USwmWEAQYAiABEgLgKvD_BwE

Wonderful news re the dental @TooPatient Yay!

Thanks for this suggestion. I will check it out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are testing his stool for Giardia. Why wouldn't they have tested that before? I mean Oliver has had almost everything a kitten could get to this point. Please don't let this be Giardia. In fact please don't let this be anything serious. :pray:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@missy maybe you can start Ollie on the FortiFlora as well? It might help him too. You're welcome and I'm glad to have been of assistance.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
including Giardia though I am not sure how one checks for Giardia.
Giardia is a tricky beast. It may not show up on a routine fecal float so a special test is required. And, depending on when the cysts are shed, tests can be negative while the cat is infected. One of my cats had it and showed no symptoms at all for which I was grateful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giardia is a tricky beast. It may not show up on a routine fecal float so a special test is required. And, depending on when the cysts are shed, tests can be negative while the cat is infected. One of my cats had it and showed no symptoms at all for which I was grateful.

Matata, did you treat your cat who had it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy maybe you can start Ollie on the FortiFlora as well? It might help him too. You're welcome and I'm glad to have been of assistance.

Yes definitely. Going to start him on it tonight with his dinner. Thanks again Sandy.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, did you treat your cat who had it?
Yes. It was the last kitten I brought home and he had to stay in quarantine until I was sure he was clear of the parasite.

Reactions: AV_

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping he doesn't have giardia, but it is simple to deal with compared to what you have been going through. My little girl dog had it when we rescued her. Lots of cleaning and keeping her separate from the others.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping he doesn't have giardia, but it is simple to deal with compared to what you have been going through. My little girl dog had it when we rescued her. Lots of cleaning and keeping her separate from the others.

Thanks TP. I spoke to my sister after I posted here and she told me pretty much the same. That Giardia is no big deal and easily treatable. Still hope little Ollie doesn't have yet another issue but hope whatever it is it's treatable. Glad your little girl is good now.

Yes. It was the last kitten I brought home and he had to stay in quarantine until I was sure he was clear of the parasite.

Thanks Matata. Oliver has been in quarantine for months and we aren't taking him out anytime soon for his own (and his brothers) protection. Looking forward to the day we can introduce them all properly to each other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyinAnaheim I gave all 4 cats the probiotic and omg they love it. I was worried they wouldn't eat it but they gobbled it up. All 4 of them including Fred. He got the rest of his packet and he ate it all so fast. So now each cat had a full packet and I just ordered the big size from Chewy. It will only last 40 days but if they do well on it I will continue ordering it. Thank you for the recommendation.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
You're SOOOOOO welcome! I'm glad they all enjoyed it and are eating! That's a great sign!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cat sat for my sister when her cats had giardia. I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as the ring worm hell you’ve been going through. Regardless, I hope that it’s just an upset tummy and he feels better soon!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giardia... meds, recheck poop. It is nothing compared to RW.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@SandyinAnaheim I gave all 4 cats the probiotic and omg they love it. I was worried they wouldn't eat it but they gobbled it up. All 4 of them including Fred. He got the rest of his packet and he ate it all so fast. So now each cat had a full packet and I just ordered the big size from Chewy. It will only last 40 days but if they do well on it I will continue ordering it. Thank you for the recommendation.
:appl:
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
celebrate every win
im sooooo glad they like it

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
celebrate every win
im sooooo glad they like it

Yes thank you Daisy. We are continuing to take it one day and one hour (when necessary) at a time. Finally Greg agrees with me re Bobby's face and that there is hair loss. But Greg hopes it is the aftermath of the fungus and not the beginning. We shall see. We applied topicals to his face today. I don't know if they do anything but our thinking is it cannot hurt. I hope. Sigh. Really want new areas to stop happening and healing to happen fully. Just hoping this is somehow not new but healing. But I am not a Pollyanna (Greg hates when I call him that lol) and I see what I see. Why didn't the vet see these areas I told her about? Hmmm. Anyway onward and forward and keeping on with the program.

Thank you Daisy for your continued encouragement and support. XO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giardia... meds, recheck poop. It is nothing compared to RW.

I cat sat for my sister when her cats had giardia. I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as the ring worm hell you’ve been going through. Regardless, I hope that it’s just an upset tummy and he feels better soon!

Thank you kindly ladies. Yup my sister reassured me and I am not too upset if it is Giardia now. Of course I hope it isn't anything as Ollie has had his fair share of tough times poor sweetie. He is a love despite being an energetic and mischievous ball of fur who wakes me every hour through the night lol. I cannot be upset or mad with him. He is being kept in isolation from the other cats and that is hard for a kitten. I wish for him to be able to have a happy and normal life soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're SOOOOOO welcome! I'm glad they all enjoyed it and are eating! That's a great sign!

Thank you Sandy! Tommy eats lots of little meals so getting the full dose into him will be more challenging but this AM Fred ate most of the dose as did Bobby and Oliver and Tommy had some. I am doing the best I can and it might be impossible to make sure he is getting exactly one full dose a day but fingers crossed this will help them. Thank you so much Sandy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharing a photo with you from yesterday. We were in Asbury park and saw a big kitty.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 5.50.26 AM.png

Meooow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww look who came to say good morning and he seems to be interested in saying hello to all the lovely PSers as he is now climbing all over my laptop.:P2

oliverscratching.jpg

oliversayinggoodmorning.jpg

Sorry they are blurry. He never sits still.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you and Greg are saints of the cat world
there will dedinatly be a place for you in kitty cat heaven

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww look who came to say good morning and he seems to be interested in saying hello to all the lovely PSers as he is now climbing all over my laptop.:P2

oliverscratching.jpg

oliversayinggoodmorning.jpg

Sorry they are blurry. He never sits still.
he's a very handsome young man

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you and Greg are saints of the cat world
there will dedinatly be a place for you in kitty cat heaven

Aww Daisy, thank you. I wish. Because in kitty heaven waiting for me will be Billy and Butch and Buster. My first 3 cats. And Apache (our first family dog who my parents got when they were pregnant with me) and Oscar (a stray dog we rescued who used to be king of the neighborhood but he chose us though so many families wanted him) and Damien, Casey and Cornelius (3 guinea pigs), Mickey and Minnie and Adam and Eve (gerbils), and so many other furbabies. And of course our darling girl who just died in June. Our sweet Francesca. Yes please let us be allowed entry into kitty heaven when the time comes. And please let there be a kitty heaven. :pray:

Buster, Billy and Butch. My first 3 cats. My first furbabies as an adult living on my own.

billybutchandbuster.jpg

Apache and me circa 1970

apacheandme1970.jpg

Oscar and me

Oscarandme.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Oliver wants to know who Buster, Billy and Butch is as he came over to see the photo of them.

oliveroncomputer.jpg

As you can see it is still pitch black here. The days are getting shorter and the mornings are dark for hours after we wake. OK enough fun and games for me. Onto cleaning and disinfecting. Have a lovely day and see you later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results