shape
carat
color
clarity

Rings on or off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

premium cut

Rough_Rock
Do you sleep with your rings on? If you do/don''t why? Which is better?

Thanks

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I sleep with my rings (plain wedding band and simple solitaire) on, so I can wake up and look at my diamond first thing in the mroning, if I feel like it.
Also, I won''t lose it or forget to put it on before I leave the house.

I have an eternity band that I wear when I feel like having more bling, but that has a home in its'' jewelry box.

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
I take my engagement ring off at night (no wedding band yet!
1.gif
). The reason I do is because I am prone to throwing my arms around in my sleep (don''t know why
33.gif
) and sometimes I hit my hand/arm against the headboard and nightstand. I am afraid I would bang my ring doing that, so I just take it off. Better safe than sorry.

Not sure if I will do the same with the wedding band.

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
I sleep with them on, Although it might not be the best idea.

But have thought about the women who take thiers off, and have wondered if they have a hard time putting them back on in the morning, because my fingers are usually swollen.
But maybe thats just my fingers.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
i definately take all jewelry off, i dont have an enegagement ring yet but i do have a tanzanite ring i always wear, but if i dont take it off at night it scratches the side of my fingers next to it and i wake up with bloody fingers!!!

which one is better??? for me not having bloody fingers is :)

Sujuann

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy tht someone asked this question becasue for the past couple of days I have asked everyone at my job about this. So far, out of 8 people, 2 leave them on. I said I want to leave mine on (I am a LIW right now but have very high hopes for getting my ering soon) but then again I have never been married.

The other 6 said that they take it off and it is a ritual for them now so they don''t forget it in the morning. One said that her setting is so high that she is afraid to scratch herself. I just figured I will leave it on as a constant reminder of my future/present hubby. But then again, I might change my mind once I get it.

But I am curious to see what others say so great question!!
41.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I was talking about this with my sister the other day. Her stone came loose for the second time. She took it to a jeweler and they told her that by wearing her ring to bed, the bedsheets are actually "wreaking havoc" on her whitegold setting and wearing down the prongs to nothing! Do you think this could be? Anyways, whether I wear my future e-ring to bed or not I decided I''m going platinum.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I never sleep with any jewelry. It bugs me!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I had a rb solitaire and channel eternity band, I wore them to bed.

When I upgraded to a pear solitaire and channel set eternity band I wore them to bed, till my DH was poked by the pear tip. Then I stopped wearing it to bed.
2.gif
As much.
9.gif

Now I have the delicate looking halo setting so I don''t wear it to bed because I don''t want anything to happen to it!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
off, i have to take off ALL jewelry before sleep...when i travel though i hate just putting my rings down in some hotel room so i wear them. and it''s sooo irritating in the morning when the fingers are all swollen and i can''t move the rings around at all.

typically at home when i get up in the morning...i have about 1.5-2 hours before i actually leave the house and put my rings on while getting ready, so by then the sleep swelling has long since subsided!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
On - constantly. I don''t know if I''m killing my rings slowly by wearing them nearly every hour of the day, but I definitely enjoy seeing them on my finger when I wake up, and that enjoyment is priceless to me.
9.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I take them off when I sleep. Sometimes I will take them off when I enter the house. I don''t like banging the ring around when I am doing housework/chores!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guy here, but I NEVER sleep with my ring on. I''m an aggressive sleeper (LOL) and I tend to flail around and I''d end up dinging my ring on the headboard or night stand. As a person that takes "anal" to new heights, it would really upset me to scratch my ring while I slept.

Every night when I get home, my ring is rinsed in warm water. Then it''s brushed with a soft bristled toothbrush and jewelry cleaner, wiped dry and put to bed in it''s nice velvet lined bed for the night. On Friday nights, my pet rock get''s steam cleaned by my JewelJet Steam Cleaner.

Wear my ring at night you ask???? Absolutely not.

Best wishes.........

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like sleeping with rings on. My fingers feel swollen in the morning when I wake up and I dislike the feeling of a tight ring. Right now I only have a wedding band (going to get a new engagement ring for 25 yr. anniversary coming up) but even just sleeping with the wedding band bothers me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take off my rings, watch, and earrings to sleep. Then I wait until after my shower to out them back on the next morning. I figure soap scum will not do them a bit of good! I have never forgotten to put them back on...it''s just a routine. I don''t sleep in them because there is that small risk of catching a prong on something, injuring the DH, hitting the ring against the headboard, etc. Plus, I am more comfortable sleeping without jewelry on.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
How interesting! I always assumed that people would take them off. I take my e-ring off and put it in it's special "bed" on my nightstand every night. I don't put it on until after I'm finished with lotion and makeup and have washed my hands. I think it would bug me if I left it on at night and I'm sure I would wake up with halo shaped impression on my face if I did!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything off to sleep, but back on right after my shower. The only thing I ever forget with any regularity is my watch (since this is the biggest heaviest thing you would think it would be the one I WOULDN''T forget!).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another guy.
Mine stays on even when sleeping, showering or swimming, though I will rotate it so the diamond is towards my palm to protect it from impact.
My feelings are that it is a part of me and overall is probably safest right on my finger.

I will take it off for heavy work such as when I use a hammer, or gardening.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
off bc my fingers sometimes swell in the night and I don''t want them to get stuck!!
I have RARELY slept with my band on, but never my ering. PLus, I don''t want it to tangle in my hair.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only time my rings come off is before I hop in the shower, if I''m going to be cooking something messy, before giving the kids a bath, and before washing dishes. I like having them on at all other times, including at night.
9.gif
I love waking up and seeing that sparkle first thing on the morning!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I take my rings off as soon as I walk in the door as I immediately wash my hands. I generally leave them off when I am at home because my hands are always in and out of water, cooking, cleaning, etc. and I don''t like to leave them on for any of that.

At night they are definitely off and in my jewellery box as I don''t feel comfortable wearing jewellery to bed. My DH takes off his ring and watch at night as well for the same reason.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I came across Cross Jewelers when I was researching my ering.
They have some really interesting info on ring care - Here

Please read an exerpt from their site: Most important for ladies who wear GOLD - which wears away over time. (Platinum displaces.)

"Fabric... Many years ago, we reset a family diamond into a 6 prong solitaire for a woman who worked in a local department store's yardgood department measuring fabric. Within 60 days she was back, holding her diamond in one hand and her new mounting in the other hand. The prongs holding the diamond had completely worn off. Upon discussion we learned that when she measured fabric, she would set her left hand on the counter and pull the fabric from the bolts across her hand. Molecule by molecule the gold was slowly but repeatedly, all day long, being pulled from the surface of the prongs until they were worn flat.

Another example of wear caused by contact with fabric: A woman requested we attach an adjustable shank to enable her to wear her ring. Six months later she returned for a cleaning and safety examination. The tips holding the diamond were worn flat, the shank was wafer thin. The ring appeared to have 20 years of wear. Questioning her, we learned that she made beds at a local hotel. Tucking sheets in, dozens of times a day, had accelerated the wear on her ring.

Sleep... Certainly it would seem that wearing rings and jewelry to bed would be safe, and yet prongs on rings can wear out in half the time if worn at night. How? Gold against fabric. Time lapse photography shows that most people move hundreds of times during the night while they sleep. A few molecules of gold here, a few molecules of gold there, multiplied times hundreds of nights over the years, represent a considerable acceleration of wear on your fine jewelry. This wear can be substantially increased if the bed sheets include even the slightest trace of a cosmetic, which is often comprised of microscopic substances possessing a hardness of 7 or more. These substances act like fine sandpaper against gold, causing accelerated wear. All jewelry should be removed prior to going to bed."

Copyright Cross Jewelers - Portland Maine

Scintillating...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's funny because some of the gals mention being ecstatic on seeing it first thing in the morning....

i actually like that i don't wear it to bed because i get to look forward to putting it on!! my routine is to get ready upstairs, take the rings downstairs when i am done, US them and then put them on before i leave, so it's like getting a sparkly present all over again!!! i think if i wore them at night and woke up and they were all gunky or had fibers stuck in the prongs (pet peeve!), i'd be in a foul mood!
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2006 5:40:47 PM
Author: hlmr
I take my rings off as soon as I walk in the door as I immediately wash my hands. I generally leave them off when I am at home because my hands are always in and out of water, cooking, cleaning, etc. and I don''t like to leave them on for any of that.

At night they are definitely off and in my jewellery box as I don''t feel comfortable wearing jewellery to bed. My DH takes off his ring and watch at night as well for the same reason.
HI:

Ditto!! And besides, I don''t like to wake up in the morning with ring imprints on my face...too many wrinkles/natural marks there already......
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear mine to bed. But my setting is super secure. My jeweler (after three years of wearing it with no adjustments needed) asked me if I ever wear the thing! I get it checked every couple of months for the prongs... but seriously my setting is like a mack truck. It hasn''t moved. But I know that when I get my halo, I''m gonna be taking it off for bed and showers and cleaning.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Haha, cute thread!

Add me to the "No, I don''t wear my rings to bed" group.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I totally know what you mean about getting excited every morning to put the rings on. It is the last thing I do before I leave and it is something to look forward to!!!

Sharon, heehee about the face wrinkles/dents......I sure don''t need any extra additions either! lol

BTW off topic: my right eyelid seems to be experiencing the forces of gravity with age, more than my left eye. Could it be because I sleep on my left side so there is more blood circulating on the left during the night?
20.gif
37.gif

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
ON ... not sure why, but I do and always have. I also sleep with my watch on as well.

I do throw my ring in the US in the morning when I shower so that it''s ultra-clean and sparkly once I''ve finished getting ready and putting lotion on.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 5:59:02 PM
Author: hlmr

my right eyelid seems to be experiencing the forces of gravity with age, more than my left eye. Could it be because I sleep on my left side so there is more blood circulating on the left during the night?
20.gif
37.gif
maybe you should put your ring on the right eyelid before you sleep heather....it has magical healing properties!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results