shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring upgrade - please help with new diamond size

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
One from CBI/HPD :)

0.93ct H VS1 (looks to be on Hold but that doesn't mean it's sold, just currently being considered by someone!)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8250

And some from the Virtual Inventory list, which your jeweller should be easily able to call in (if you do not want to purchase the superideals above directly and/or he does not want to set an outside stone he hasn't directly sourced!):

1.000ct I VS2 JA True Hearts
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-2430871
Inclusions are small and scattered and barely visible in the video - which IMHO is better than having one large one under the table!

1.03ct H VS2 on WF
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3836491.htm?source=pricescope
Long (80%) LGFs are very different to the ones on the B2C stone mentioned earlier - see which you prefer!

1.04ct H VS2 on B2C
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11276532/round-diamond-H-color-VS2-Clarity?sku=11276532
No images so hard to tell how the table inclusion looks.

Thank you so so much for going to the trouble to find these for me! I am a complete diamond novice (all I know is cut is the most important "c" - that is literally the extent of my knowledge!). The diamond which gave me butterflies was the 1.091ct from Whiteflash. WOW. I have emailed my jeweller asking him (1) how much if I were to supply the diamond & (2) how much for the ring with 0.90 & 1ct stones so I can get a better idea. I have a feeling I would get more for my money if I bought the diamond from the US but because I do t know anything I'm terrified I'll get it wrong

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
Hi, what a nice dilemma to have. First, the .80 looks fabulous on your hand and with your current setting. But if you are considering going bigger, I think .90-1.00 is a satisfying forever size for a lot of people. If you buy a .90-.99 carat stone you can realize a substantial price savings per carat and get the same substantial “look” as a one carat. (Along the same lines, you can also get a carat size .84-.89 and get a stone that looks like a .90, at a cost savings.)

In my own experience, the diameter size increase between .80 and .88, .94 and 1.0 is noticeable. I recently bought a .94 carat superideal CBI. I have a size 5.25 ring finger. Comparing its diameter size (6.33mm) to my .79 carat (5.9mm) 60/60 diamond, the size is noticeably bigger. My original .88 diamond (6.1mm) seemed -slightly- too small for me. When I compared the .94 to 1.0 carat (6.5mm) there was a noticeable difference to me. But I still liked the 6.33mm size and think it looks substantial. The fact that it is a superideal gives it edge to edge brightness and flash that makes it look big and gorgeous to me.

My advice is to get the diamond with the best cut you can find, and if you can, please consider a superideal. My superideal is so different and superior to any other MRB I’ve seen. Be sure to compare diameter sizes between .80-.99 carat and get the prettiest one, the one that speaks to you. Your setting is beautiful. I personally would keep it for sentimental reasons (like the previous poster says) and put the money into a bigger stone. :). Good luck!

I think even the smallest mm change in a diamond will show up quite a lot given my 2.25 ring size! Even if I decided to go for 1ct I'm not set on it actually BEING a carat. I.e. 0.97ct would be fine etc

Happytobemrsg

Shiny_Rock
I love your setting such a refined look. I think the proportion to your finger size is a great bump and it still looks substantial within the scope of your setting. One thing I’ll say is I didn’t realize how attached I was to my setting. You think you can always upgrade and you can but your emotional attachment is another investment that you don’t realizes grows at a different rate than your ability to buy in these situations.

For yourself, go big if that’s what you want. It will look beautiful. And also I recently really experienced what a difference an excellent cut can make. It’s unreal.

I think my DH is more sentimental about my ring than I am because of all the problems with it. Finally these problems are starting to annoy DH too! I do love the ring & this is why I want the new one to look extremely similar- just bigger & better!

giamari23

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think my DH is more sentimental about my ring than I am because of all the problems with it. Finally these problems are starting to annoy DH too! I do love the ring & this is why I want the new one to look extremely similar- just bigger & better!
I totally appreciate all of that!. We had a similar situation or I thought he was the sentimental one and I realized my ideal was upgrading for my setting and it was me! That was not apparent to me at all. Maybe in time I’ll feel otherwise. I’ll tell you I knew it was the right change when my husband was ecstatic. I think your setting is beautiful. In fact when I thought about upgrading initially it’s similar to what I thought I might get! I love seeing what people pick for themselves and why, it’s a fun reveal.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so so much for going to the trouble to find these for me! I am a complete diamond novice (all I know is cut is the most important "c" - that is literally the extent of my knowledge!). The diamond which gave me butterflies was the 1.091ct from Whiteflash. WOW. I have emailed my jeweller asking him (1) how much if I were to supply the diamond & (2) how much for the ring with 0.90 & 1ct stones so I can get a better idea. I have a feeling I would get more for my money if I bought the diamond from the US but because I do t know anything I'm terrified I'll get it wrong
In my experience, I found that for the price of importing a 0.67ct F VVS2 CBI diamond plus commissioning a custom platinum solitaire ring from Hatton Garden, all I could find in the shops for a similar amount of money was a 0.5ct H-I SI-VS2 in white gold, so I am a strong advocate for buying online!

The exchange rate was much better when I bought, granted, but I think it still holds true now :)

WRT any diamond from the PS-recommended vendors that you like, call them ASAP and put it on hold - lurkers often snap up diamonds that are recommended, so holding it gives you the chance to finalise things with the jeweller.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Be sure to put diamonds you like on hold so they don’t disappear. I like that 1.091 WF ACA too. The small table and highish crown are really pretty and LGF of 76 means those facets are slightly fatter than normal which makes chunkier flashes of light. Worth considering, even though something sub 1 carat will also look great on you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results