shape
carat
color
clarity

RIng size question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dfb

Rough_Rock
I am changing out wedding bands - mens plain comfort fit style - but changing from a pretty wide 8 mm band to a bit thinner 5 mm band - I have heard that it is common if you go to a thinner band you will need a smaller size ring - is this true - my 8mm band is a size 8 3/4 - and a jeweler told me I should move down to an 8 or 8 1/4 in the thinner band - I did not have time to try them on - but will of course - I am just curious and appreciate your comments. And on a similar note - does a 1/4 ring size really mean much - what it real measurements does that translate to in terms of difference?

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
Your jeweler, not your sales person, will size your ring. He will know that in fact, since your ring is measured along the center of the band, and not the leading or trailing edges, there is really nothing to account for, as very few rings are truly pipe shaped on the inside. In fact, by the time they have been sized a distortion takes place whereby the inside becomes a little saddle shaped rather than flat. Because of this, the only part of the band that can be measured accurately runs along the center. Thus, a size six is a size six regardless of the width. Only in very extreme circumstances will there be a difference and in those cases, there is really no way to plan this out other than to size and test.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results