shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Size Q

stlc

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
89
Hey!
I am still very much a newbie :wavey:

I have a very big Question mark in my head about ring size.
In the process of custom designing a ring and this has been on my mind for awhile now. Need some advice and I guess just more human voices rather than the voices in my head :twirl: lol!

I'm wearing a L (5 1/2) eternity on my right hand very comfortably. (2mm wide, 1mm high)
When I switch it to my left hand it is a bit loose, but not badly, just a slight bit looser than the right hand.
Living in very hot countries (I do) also sometimes makes your hands swell or when I'm hormonal and then its still perfect.
So L (5 1/2) is a great size.

BUT.... thats just a single tiny little eternity.
and it sits on the smallest part of the finger (right against the palm).

What about when I put a ring on that is wider? Esp since essentially at the end of the day I would like 2 eternity's and then the engagement ring.
If I had to add that up, 2mm + 2mm + 3-4mm = 7-8mm! (which is not actually that hugggeee but I have small hands)
Then maybe the (5 1/2) will be too small?
THEN say I put on 5kg in the distant future (it better be distant).... weird to mention but its normal for a women's weight to fluctuate over the years.

I have squishy, baby hands, my mom still thinks I'm like 12. So there is 'space' from the bone....
help?????

I think I am looking for feedback from you guys on your experience of your rings, how you chose the size, how do you think about it now say since 2yrs + have passed? etcetera

Thanx for your time!
 

stlc

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
89
here are some photo's of my current eternity on my left hand.





P.S. Sorry for all the psych stuff in the background - I'm in the process of writing my final year psychology exams :)

new013.jpg

new016.jpg

new011.jpg

new010.jpg
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,775
One small reco is to sleep with your ring on your left hand or take a long walk with it on your left. I notice my hands swell a bit when I am waking outside (I live in FL) or at night. Maybe the night is just me. But my wring is a little big in cooler weather and just ringt in the heat. I really struggled with this and considered those sizing things in my ring because the difference is probably almost a half size. I have also noticed trying on my bands with my ring (wedding four weeks away) and I will have one on each side tightens up my ring and it doesn't spin. Don't know why. Good luck. I thnk this was a difficult decision.
 

stlc

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
89
Mayk|1306064527|2927679 said:
One small reco is to sleep with your ring on your left hand or take a long walk with it on your left. I notice my hands swell a bit when I am waking outside (I live in FL) or at night. Maybe the night is just me. But my wring is a little big in cooler weather and just ringt in the heat. I really struggled with this and considered those sizing things in my ring because the difference is probably almost a half size. I have also noticed trying on my bands with my ring (wedding four weeks away) and I will have one on each side tightens up my ring and it doesn't spin. Don't know why. Good luck. I thnk this was a difficult decision.

You're exactly right - it comes down to half sizes and even half half sizes difference, but it actually does make a big impact at the end of the day.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking, maybe have the e-ring a half or quarter size bigger? and then have the eternity's stay at L (5 1/2)? Then they will anchor it in a sense.

Thank you for responding! Nice to know that this is not just a silly question and that it actually holds some weight.
Hope I can get a few more ppl to respond about their 'Life of Ring size' :tongue:

P.s. I did sleep with it on and my hands did swell abit you're right... the eternity fitted fine...but yet again... its only 2mm...
 

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
987
I'm super picky about how my rings fit. I can not stand if they are tight at all. What I did, was buy an eternity a quarter size larger than my e-ring. My fingers swell in the heat but for winter when my fingers are cold I have a tiny 1mm spacer that is 1/4 size smaller than my e-ring that I wear to keep it from falling off when it's chilly. So, my eternity is size 4.5, my ering 4.25 and my winter spacer is 4.
 

stlc

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
89
makemepretty|1306148641|2928198 said:
I'm super picky about how my rings fit. I can not stand if they are tight at all. What I did, was buy an eternity a quarter size larger than my e-ring. My fingers swell in the heat but for winter when my fingers are cold I have a tiny 1mm spacer that is 1/4 size smaller than my e-ring that I wear to keep it from falling off when it's chilly. So, my eternity is size 4.5, my ering 4.25 and my winter spacer is 4.

wow that is such a good idea!!
Did you chose your eternity's to be larger cause you sometimes wear it without the e-ring?
lol cause I was thinking the exact opposite for me! lol :D ~ having the e-ring 0.25 or 0.5 bigger and then securing it with the eternity's.
What made you do it the way you did? (bigger eternity)
 

stlc

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
89
stlc said:
Hey!

I am looking for feedback from you guys on your experience of your rings size, how you chose the size, did you put on some weight/loose some weight and did it affect your ring size? how do you think about it now say since 2yrs + have passed?
What would you maybe do differently? Advice? Tips? Hints?
etcetera

I have searched and I have not found any post like this before but if there is one ~ plz could you paste the link in here.
Thanx for your time!

Come on ladies!
I know we all have a story! =)
 

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
987
I decided to go with the larger eternity because of the fact that they are not easily sizable. Whereas, my ering could be resized at any time no problem. I needed a size I felt I could wear for years and years comfortably with the eternity band. I absolutely do not want to risk my ering falling off so that one I sized as close to comfortable but still tight enough to stop at my knuckle. In the cold though my hands shrink so that's why I have the tiny spacer just to feel that my ering has not chance of sliding off without me knowing. If I chose to wear my eternity band without my ering, I could just add my tiny spacer on top of it and "presto" it's not going anywhere.
 

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
25,690
I have hands like you. With rings in the 2mm size range I can go smaller. I wear 1/2 size larger when the ring is 5mm width. But I can stack three 2.5mm rings on my hand no problem and they are all sized the same.
 

stlc

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
89
Dreamer_D|1306270436|2929333 said:
I have hands like you. With rings in the 2mm size range I can go smaller. I wear 1/2 size larger when the ring is 5mm width. But I can stack three 2.5mm rings on my hand no problem and they are all sized the same.

aaah! great to know! I think ppl say you only have to go up a quarter size but I think in my case I'm like you, need to bump up a half size.
three 2.5mm would basically come to 7.5mm ~ do you think its because its 3 independent rings so they can all sorta shift around as they need too?
which is different than if you had to actually have a solid 7.5mm ring??
I really dont want to have the look of my finger having a serious "muffin top" even though it may feel comfortable :lol: 8)

I have read so many topics and threads, I am actually surprised how I don't seem to come across alot of info on this, meaning like ppl's life experience and how they choose, or maybe changed their ring sizes. Is it easy for some peeps? I do find some info but really not in excess like every other aspect of a ring is discussed in depth and detail. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places yet :saint:
I really hope some more ppl respond to this, not just for my story but for Real Life Ring Size Stories =)

Thanx for all the responses so far! oxoxo
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top