Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will fit?

jwblue

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
14
I don't have any experience buying an engagement ring.

I am looking for an tension set engagement ring from Niessing. Even if I know her ring size, how can I be sure it will fit?

Niessing will send rings for sizing, but asking her to try on a sizing ring would ruin the surprise.

If the ring does not fit, what happens? I can not return it.

Can diamonds be set easily in a cheap band that I could use for a proposal and removed easily without risk of damage?

Are there any other options for giving her the diamond?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

is it a tension ring? if so I am not sure if those can be resized so I would propose without the ring and then get her properly sized.
 

jwblue

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
14
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

Yes. It is a tension set ring.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,816
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

Unless she has told you she wants a tension set ring, I would not do that anyway. That is a style that not everyone would like, and you absolutely have to know the exact size.

But yes, many people here set the diamond in a plain white gold tiffany style solitaire setting to propose and then let the girl have some input into the permanent setting.
 

jwblue

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
14
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

diamondseeker2006|1306115903|2928055 said:
Unless she has told you she wants a tension set ring, I would not do that anyway. That is a style that not everyone would like, and you absolutely have to know the exact size.

But yes, many people here set the diamond in a plain white gold tiffany style solitaire setting to propose and then let the girl have some input into the permanent setting.
How much would one of those solitaire settings run?

Is there any risk of damage to the ring from putting it in the setting and then removing it?

I would like to spend as little as possible on the ring I will use for the proposal.

Where can I find a cheap temporary ring?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

there should not be any risk (but I would still get insurance). Ask your jeweler about a stock white gold setting, or you could propose with a loose diamond.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,816
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

The best thing to do is have the person you buy the diamond from set it in the least expensive setting they have ($200 or so?). Then if it takes a couple of months for her to decide on the new setting, she can still be wearing the ring! Plus, you can have the ring insured immediately since it will be set.

Do you have a diamond yet? Let us know if we can help you with that!
 

jwblue

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
14
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

diamondseeker2006|1306120521|2928096 said:
The best thing to do is have the person you buy the diamond from set it in the least expensive setting they have ($200 or so?). Then if it takes a couple of months for her to decide on the new setting, she can still be wearing the ring! Plus, you can have the ring insured immediately since it will be set.

Do you have a diamond yet? Let us know if we can help you with that!
It never hurts to get multiple opinions.

I posted a while back asking for advice on diamonds.

These are some guidelines that were given to me or I found on this board.

Does this sound good?


Dave Atlas' AGA Cut Class Charts list the total depth percentage for a 1A ideal make cut class as being 58.7-62.3%, enlarging that range on the 1B ideal make to 58.3-62.99%

I refered to a chart on Todd and Robin''s site indicates table range should be 52.4 - 57.5 with depth preference between 59.0 and 61.8

, it has said that the table should be lower up to 5% as compared to the dept
 

LoveMunkie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
61
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

There is always some slight chance that a stone can get damaged when being re-set but it shouldn't be an issue if you are using a reputable jeweler. I'd definately go the "temp." route for a setting if it's important for you to present her with a ring and then work with the vendor who you purchase the setting from to select the correct band size. Keep in mind that your gf's band size can vary depending on weight, the weather, sodium intake, width of the band (generally, the wider the band, the "tighter" each size is), number of bands she will ultimately wear with it, etc.
 

jwblue

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
14
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

LoveMunkie|1306174792|2928377 said:
There is always some slight chance that a stone can get damaged when being re-set but it shouldn't be an issue if you are using a reputable jeweler. I'd definately go the "temp." route for a setting if it's important for you to present her with a ring and then work with the vendor who you purchase the setting from to select the correct band size. Keep in mind that your gf's band size can vary depending on weight, the weather, sodium intake, width of the band (generally, the wider the band, the "tighter" each size is), number of bands she will ultimately wear with it, etc.
I think I am just going to give the diamond in a pouch.

I don't think it will take away much from the moment.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,775
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

jwblue|1306180184|2928427 said:
I think I am just going to give the diamond in a pouch.

I don't think it will take away much from the moment.

Sounds like a great idea :appl:

As far as I know tensions rings can't be resized (or it's very, very difficult - not something you can drop off at your local jeweller do and pick up the next day).. so if this is what she wants getting the size spot on is very important. Get her sized w/ metal sizers in hot weather and in cold (go to the jewellery store on a hot day and have her get sized right away, browse for twenty minutes - presumably the store is air conditioned - and get her sized again in "cold weather".
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,816
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

Gosh, I would not give her a loose stone! Number one, she can't enjoy it like that! It might take a month to decide on a setting and she would want to wear it! Not to mention the issue of not being able to insure it until a setting is chosen. I just think it is a mistake to not give it to her in a ring.

some general diamond dimensions:

table: 54-57

depth: 60-62

crown angle: 34-35

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

girdle: thin, medium, slightly thick
 

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
19,132
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

I wouldn't give her a loose diamond either. At the very least have the vendor you are buying from set it in a cheap setting for the proposal. You can always sell it on ebay or somewhere to recoup some of your money or if you buy a setting from the same vendor they may buy it back as part of a trade. The vendor will cover the stone in this case while they are setting it. You can add it to your insurance as a completed ring and then it would be covered if/when you reset. Then you can be 100% sure you are getting the ring in the right size as well as choosing the right setting!
 

jwblue

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
14
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

diamondseeker2006|1306185504|2928511 said:
Gosh, I would not give her a loose stone! Number one, she can't enjoy it like that! It might take a month to decide on a setting and she would want to wear it! Not to mention the issue of not being able to insure it until a setting is chosen. I just think it is a mistake to not give it to her in a ring.

some general diamond dimensions:

table: 54-57

depth: 60-62

crown angle: 34-35

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

girdle: thin, medium, slightly thick
That would be the downside.

I would hate to spend even $100 on something temporary.

I don't mind spending money, but I don't like to waste it.
 

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
2,029
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

You could have the temp setting do double duty. She can wear it until the real setting arrives, then get a CZ or colored stone put into the temp setting and she could use it as a "travel" ring, or for times when she wouldn't want to wear her expensive engagement ring.
 

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
19,132
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

jwblue|1306186809|2928536 said:
That would be the downside.

I would hate to spend even $100 on something temporary.

I don't mind spending money, but I don't like to waste it.
I'd just propose without anything then. My hubby did this and we chose the ring together. Once is was complete he took me out again and surprised me with a second proposal and did the whole, down on one knee thing, with the ring.

But, I don't think of the temp. setting as a waste of money. Especially in this one in a lifetime event and you'd be ensuring you don't head down the wrong coarse with a ring she doesn't love or one that doesn't fit and can't be sized. Then you really will have been wasting money.
 

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
19,132
Re: Ring size: How can I be certain an engagement ring will

MustangGal|1306187240|2928544 said:
You could have the temp setting do double duty. She can wear it until the real setting arrives, then get a CZ or colored stone put into the temp setting and she could use it as a "travel" ring, or for times when she wouldn't want to wear her expensive engagement ring.
This is a great idea too!!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top