shape
carat
color
clarity

ring shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/5/2003 11:14:42 AM giftgoddess wrote:
ok, what is driving me crazy about all these 'tiffany' conversations...is that everyone who would never buy their ring from tiffanys, is acting as though there is aboslutely no difference btwn a ring from tiffany- and a ring from anywhere else

Maybe they mark up their prices alot (i realize they do) BUT the settings are one of a kind
----------------
Giftgoddess: Actually, no, the settings are not one of a kind.

Tiffany's is, as F&I pointed out, a RETAILER. That means they don't make their own goods but rather buy goods from others and slap their name on them.

In the case of the Tiffany Lucida setting (which is THE classic Tiffany setting), it is manufactured by Vatche. The settings sold under the Vatche name are the same settings they sell to Tiff's.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
I just want to say it is rumored that Vatche makes the Lucida setting for Tiffany. Unless you can find a press release from Vatche or Tiffany saying so, it is just a rumor. Using google, you'll find a lot of reference to Vatche/X-Prong Tiffany/Lucida but there's no concrete *evidence*. Just coz' you keep hearing it doesn't make it true (though it might be true Vatche makes the Lucida setting).

I don't think you'll hear Tiffany or Vatche claiming either way. They probably have an non-disclosure agreement.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
i hear what you are saying- however the "classic tiffany setting" i am searching for- is the six prong. i have not been able to find it anywhere else as yet. sure- everyone makes a version of a six prong setting- but in my eyes- i see a HUGE difference between those, and the ones i have seen at tiffanys. anyway- if i can find one that is close enough...i am all for it. i am not all about the tiffany 'name'...but i sure am all about the tiffany setting.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/5/2003 1
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM jlim wrote:

I just want to say it is rumored that Vatche makes the Lucida setting for Tiffany. Unless you can find a press release from Vatche or Tiffany saying so, it is just a rumor. Using google, you'll find a lot of reference to Vatche/X-Prong Tiffany/Lucida but there's no concrete *evidence*. Just coz' you keep hearing it doesn't make it true (though it might be true Vatche makes the Lucida setting).

I don't think you'll hear Tiffany or Vatche claiming either way. They probably have an non-disclosure agreement.
----------------

It's not a rumor. Tiffany *does not* make that setting. If you want to believe it is a rumor - do so. Go buy the *your* ring at Tiffany's. I really think you should.

Giftgoddess, if you do not want to go w/ a mastercraftsman making the ring to your specifications, have you looked at the 6 prong Stuller Soltice (I can not recall if you have)? Or Vatche in person? I own a Vatche 3 stone setting. They have great heft & the side stones really white & clean. The quality is there. I did not like their solitaire setting as it was two low. The Stuller Soltice has nice weight as well. If I recall correctly, you can "build your own" - height of prongs, number of prongs & thickness of the band. Have you visited a true jeweler who will be willing to pour over catalogs w/ settings or one that has a craftsman on premise (or appointment) you can speak to?

I can relate to your desire for wanting the Tiffany style ring. If you go that route, you will be overpaying for the diamond.

MsGolightly

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to say that I think there is a very noticable difference between the vatche setting/similar lucida diamond (lucere or something else)...when compared to the actual lucida. As a minor here (a female), I have to say that I would rather have a Tiffany's diamond than one bought off the internet. I just don't like the idea of something being "bought off the internet", it sounds so....cheesy. I think that ALL diamonds are marked up considerably, as they are not rare and all come from the same country (practically). You are paying way more than its "true" value for ANY diamond you buy....so buy what you want. I would rather have a ring with the "Tiffany & Co." stamp on the inside. The name to me is worth paying for just as much as it is worth paying for the "status" of a diamond.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/5/2003 1
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM jlim wrote:

Just coz' you keep hearing it doesn't make it true

Gee, Jlim, you must be embarrassed by your comments enough to send a PM. I'm not embarrassed by any of my comments nor my 20th anniversary ring. Which in case no one knows is an I/SI1, great make w/ med strong blue fluor in a 3 stone Vatche platinum setting. Jlim seems to think in a PM that I wish it to be a D/Fl - oh you must mean IF. No, Jlim, I don't wish it to be. I have no interest in walking around w/ a 70K diamond on my hand. Please don't invade my privacy with your suppositions.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
There's nothing wrong in deciding you want that Tiffany name above all else. Or that you couldn't fathom buying a diamond off the Internet (even though this is an Internet forum). I will never buy a Honda because it holds unpleasant memories of my ex. That's not rational either, and I know it.

There's also definitely nothing wrong in deciding that the Tiffany setting is so incomparable that you'll take the overpriced diamond so you can have the setting. We spent as much on my wedding set as the stone because the setting was as important to me as the diamond.

What *is* wrong, though, is making your choice without all the facts, and not understanding what all your options and trade-offs are if you go in one direction as opposed to another. Be open, be educated, and make an informed choice.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
'I just don't like the idea of something being "bought off the internet", it sounds so....cheesy.'

As an internet marketer and a huge fan of the internet...the internet to me says 'smart shopping'. I do about 50%, if not more, of all my shopping online and I am an avid lover of a great deal. I do alot of eBay shopping and get much of my brand name items at 1/2 off if not more. Most of what I buy on eBay and/or online I would never just walk into a B&M store to buy because they'd charge me full price and I know I can get a better deal online.

That said, you have to be a 'savvy shopper' when you use the internet...or else you probably will get fleeced.

The internet is the wave of the future in case you have not yet heard that before. Each year the amount of people using the internet for shopping or even just research grows tremendously. Even people without computers access the internet using library and/or school access. In late 2002, there were over 600 million people online worldwide, with US, Canada and Europe leading the numbers. In 2004, it's estimated there will be between 700 and 900 million people online worldwide. Do all of these people shop? Definitely not but the numbers are growing fast. US internet users will be 50% purchasers come the end of 2003. eCommerce in 2004 is set to top $90 billion dollars.

I know that many people are still leery of purchasing and/or putting their private information out onto the web for the 'world' to possibly see, but life is full of risks. There are many ways to protect yourself and your information if you shop online.

Maybe buying a diamond online sounds cheesy to some, but I know that when I tell friends about the people here in this forum, all the experts I have the pleasure of knowing since I stumbled onto this forum..they are pretty impressed. Because there is alot to know and many people do not realize that. Ignorance delights the offline jewelers...who love to sell their brand names and their 'ideal Tolowsky cut' stones to those who don't 'shop smart'.

2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
double post!
1.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/16/2002 3:45:53 PM sherman wrote:

I would like to hear some opinions from any girls out there. After speaking to a couple of the girls here at the office I have come to the conclusion that they would prefer a ring from Tiffany but would want their fiancee to stay within their budget. I told them that I was looking to spend 10-12K on a ring and they said that a nice one carat would be fine from Tiffany's. I mentioned that for that price I could probably get a two carat off the internet. One of the girls said "I would prefer a one carat from Tiffany than a two carat from the blue nile".

That was just her opinion though. I would like to hear what others have to say since I can't just ask mine.
----------------

I would hands down prefer the two carat from a "no name" than the 1 carat from Tiffany's. No one knows it's from Tiffany's when she's wearing it, it doesn't come with a flashign sign... there's no question!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/16/2002 3:45:53 PM sherman wrote:

I would like to hear some opinions from any girls out there. After speaking to a couple of the girls here at the office I have come to the conclusion that they would prefer a ring from Tiffany but would want their fiancee to stay within their budget. I told them that I was looking to spend 10-12K on a ring and they said that a nice one carat would be fine from Tiffany's. I mentioned that for that price I could probably get a two carat off the internet. One of the girls said "I would prefer a one carat from Tiffany than a two carat from the blue nile".

That was just her opinion though. I would like to hear what others have to say since I can't just ask mine.
----------------

I agree with Fancy. I would HANDS DOWN prefer a 2 carat exceptionally cut internet stone than a 1 carat Tiffany. In fact, I would take it a step further.

Even if the Tiffany ring and the internet ring were the same size...1 ct....and the same price....I'd STILL prefer the internet stone. Why? Because I KNOW the internet stone is an exceptionally cut stone....it comes with every report under the sun to substantiate that claim. I can see all the measurements on the Sarin report, the Bscope/Fscope results, the HCA, etc.

Tiffany's stones don't come with a cert under 1 ct., and those over 1 ct come with a "Tiffany's" cert. There is no documentation from an independent source provided. I'm essentially taking their word for it about the quality of the cut. I'm sure the majority of Tiffany's stones very good cuts, but that doesn't mean they are IDEAL cuts. I'm sure some of Tiffany's stones are ideal cut, too, but there is no way to know when I purchase if the stone I've chosen IS an ideal cut without documentation.

To others, this may not matter, but to me, cut is KING, KING, KING. It is the MOST important factor of a diamond's performance, and I want more than just speculation or feel-good assurances that my stone is excellently cut. Also, most people won't know it's a Tiffany unless you tell them, and I couldn't imagine being shallow enough to walk around telling everyone my ring was a Tiffany.

Some folks don't feel the same way about cut as I do, and they might be willing to accept a possibly inferior stone in trade for having "the name". Someone recently said they placed a high value on being part of "Tiffany's history" in having bought a ring there, and if that person thinks it's of value to him to spend his money on that, then he should. It's really an individual decision, but as a general rule, I think you'll find most women will prefer the more excellently cut, larger non-Tiffany stone.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
double - sorry

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/6/2003 1:33:52 PM aljdewey wrote:
Tiffany's stones don't come with a cert under 1 ct.,
----------------

You know, that was the thing that really offended me about Tiffany. If I bought something under a carat, I wasn't an important enough customer to get a certificate, and if it were over a carat I was supposed to be so wowed by their name that I wouldn't need an independent cert.

schlomster

Rough_Rock
I would like to say that I am also an avid internet shopper. I have purchased electronics at huge savings,allowing me to but better quality than I would have otherwise been able to afford. I also recently purchased my finacee's engagement ring online, and after all was said and done, the appraisal (from someone who said they didn't want to inflate the price) was over twice what I paid. I bought a superbcert diamond (at the very least equal to, if not better than the cut above or fire and ice stones, and for sure less expensive...) and a bestgem.com setting (dolores to be exact...its cool when your ring has a name, ie "Dolores really missed you..." code word for its going to be a great night ;-) ). Don't buy tiffany's or cartier...only snobs go for name only. don't be a snob. Be an educated consumer! Best of luck.

kiwifuz

Rough_Rock
If my boyfriend gave me a Tiffany ring first I'd laugh at what a fool he is and then slap him upside the head.

No way I'd want something smaller of the same or less quality because it has a brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results