shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Rules (do''s and don''ts)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esp102

Rough_Rock
Do all of you wear your diamond rings on the beach?

I''m figuring if you''re swimming that you should wear it - but what about relaxing in a chair or just walking ankle high in the water?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I go to the beach with mine. I figure these rocks have been here for millions of years before me and I am one of those people who actually like the patina that wear gives platinum. Pool or ocean, I never take mine off. I feel nekkid w/o it.
1.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Mine stays on at all times unless I''m in the shower, in which case it goes directly into the US for its own cleaning! I keep it on to sleep, clean, cook, etc.

At the pool or beach, I leave it on unless I''m doing any actual swimming (but I''m usually more of a "lounge in a chair with my book" kind of girl). I do bring a little Tiffany''s pouch with me for safe-keeping while applying sunscreen or taking the occasional dip in the pool.

Pretty simple really!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2006 4:15:55 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 7/20/2006 3:22:30 PM
Author: Rod

I also work out at the gym 5 days a week after work (my gym just turned me into a poster with my huge weight loss and progress!!).
e
23.gif

Congrats on the Rebuild Rod campaign
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am doing gym now 5 days a week too! You need to join our weekly workout thread Rod - guys ARE allowed!

Where''s the weekly workout thread Lorelei????????? I''d love to join.

Cheers!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2006 6:27:17 AM
Author: esp102
Do all of you wear your diamond rings on the beach?

I''m figuring if you''re swimming that you should wear it - but what about relaxing in a chair or just walking ankle high in the water?
Sorry, while I have no proof of this, my ring tells me he''s allergic to sand and would prefer to not be near sand or salt water. So, no, I don''t wear my ring to the beach........ever.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2006 9:39:27 AM
Author: Rod

Sorry, while I have no proof of this, my ring tells me he''s allergic to sand and would prefer to not be near sand or salt water. So, no, I don''t wear my ring to the beach........ever.
It is so funny how our rings can become ''living entities'' before long with a personality!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 2:49:52 PM
Author: Fancy605
These are all very good tips! What about sleeping in your ring? I heard that sleeping in it may cause damage.
I always take my ering off before getting into bed. The prongs can get caught on sheets and bedding etc. So I put it in my ring box at the side of my bed.

If I am doing any gardening etc....I put my ring in a box, in the same kitchen cupboard.

So if you do take it of...get used to putting it in a ring box, in the same place.

Blod

OH...and make sure your ering is insured too!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wore my ring to the beach in hawaii and tahiti and i wear it while swimming and all that on vacation, either in a pool or in the ocean. some would say no but i typically just forget to take it off and i also don''t want to leave it behind in the hotel room, i''d rather it''s on my finger. it''s insured too, but i always just feel better when it''s with me.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I take mine in the pool but it is platinum. If you get one with gold then I have heard it is a mistake to take it in the chlorinated water - can somehow mess up or weaken the gold.

aquarius4u

Rough_Rock
hi there, last year i lost my e ring and wedding band during our big move ! i took it off and forgot where i left it. Movers were in and out. unfortunately i did not have it insured (bad decision!) .i am just fortunate enough that my hubby agreed to buy me a new set...and i am doing it now!will never take it off unless...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Swimming is a no for me. If I''m wearing a bathing suit, I''m not wearing my ring. I actually had a nightmare where I lost my diamond in FSIL''s new pool... we were all diving and diving and diving... and I couldn''t get air, and couldn''t see the diamond. Oh it was horrible.

I always travel with a ring box when I''m flying.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 5:09:41 PM
Author: JulieN
no swimming.
why no swimming? swimming is my exercise of choice and the only one I enjoy (translate: do) and I''d hate to leave my ring in a locker in the locker room...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 1:55:11 PM
Author: Beacon
I take mine in the pool but it is platinum. If you get one with gold then I have heard it is a mistake to take it in the chlorinated water - can somehow mess up or weaken the gold.
Really? I''ve been swimming for 15 years with my gold ring LOL

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2006 1:38:37 PM
Author: blodthecat

Date: 7/20/2006 2:49:52 PM
Author: Fancy605
These are all very good tips! What about sleeping in your ring? I heard that sleeping in it may cause damage.
I always take my ering off before getting into bed. The prongs can get caught on sheets and bedding etc. So I put it in my ring box at the side of my bed.

If I am doing any gardening etc....I put my ring in a box, in the same kitchen cupboard.

So if you do take it of...get used to putting it in a ring box, in the same place.

Blod

OH...and make sure your ering is insured too!
you should get the prongs checked...they shouldn''t snag on anything...we don''t want you to lose your stone from a lose prong
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
supposedly even with plat it doesnt do well with chlorine in a pool but i always swim with it (though it''s not that often)..and i figure if it has held up thus far hopefully it will continue to. i kind of figure if you have already DONE things like swimming or similar and it''s fine then it will probably continue to be fine.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations to all of you who have lost weight or are attempting to lose weight.
36.gif

Be very careful during this time of transition. My DH lost 30 lbs a couple of years ago and his plat WB at the bottom of a lake
15.gif

Since his weight fluctuates enough to effect his ring size, I purchased his new silver WB at Walmart for $10.99. If he bangs it up or goes down a size I buy him a new one. It is much more economical than the $1000 he left at the bottom of the lake
2.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh....I have just thought of something else!

I never let people try my ering on. I hate it when they try it on, then have to shake their hand in the air to check how loose it is on their finger. Then they usually put a dirty big paw print on the table!

Sorry.....it''s a definite no no
38.gif

Blod

clairen

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, what happened did the stone fall out of the setting while swimming ?

esp102

Rough_Rock
blodthecat - that''s a good point. So what do you say when people (friends or family) ask "Can I try it on?" - what''s the polite response? Maybe, "Sorry, it''s bad luck..." or something like that

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Remember that your ring can always be cleaned at home!

(Now) hubby and I went out to lunch at Chili''s. Waitress dropped my tuna steak sandwich....slathered with mayo....onto my hand. Took ring off to wipe off all mayo, etc. Forgot to put it back on, and then left restaurant without the ring.

10 minutes later, realized it and PANICKED. Thank goodness for honest waitstaff - it was picked up by waitress and put away...she figured I''d be back pretty quickly for it.

Now, I don''t take if off when I''m out - regardless. On vacation a few weeks ago, ring got his with a stray dollop of mashed potatoes from hubby.....didn''t care. Cleaned it when we got up to our hotel room.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2006 6:04:20 AM
Author: blodthecat
Oh....I have just thought of something else!

I never let people try my ering on. I hate it when they try it on, then have to shake their hand in the air to check how loose it is on their finger. Then they usually put a dirty big paw print on the table!

Sorry.....it''s a definite no no
38.gif

Blod

Waving a loose ring around definitely a bad idea, but as for the cleanliness issue, the worst that can happen is that you get a fingerprint on the table of the stone(s). If that happens, just wipe it off with your shirt! I like a clean ring, but geez, you''ve got to live life.

(As an aside, I truly believe that the whole "mind-clean" theory applies to people''s ultrasonic ring cleaning obsession. I mean, a lot of the rings I see on here--i.e. everything except the ornate pavé variety--could be cleaned just as easily with a toothbrush, hot water, and some dish soap, assuming that it''s done fairly regularly. With this method the ring/stones would be just as clean as with an ultrasonic. My ring is just as clean when I do this as when it gets steamed at the jeweller''s.)

I don''t mind people trying my ring on. Then again, I suppose they''re not waving it around commenting on how loose it is. At any rate, the thing''s insured, and I like to share the sparkly love.
11.gif

As for ring safety advice, I would never leave my ring in a gym locker. It stays at home or it''s on my person (even if that means lacing it into my shoe!)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone asks to try anything of mine on, I just look the person in the eye and say "I don''t permit it." No apologies. It''s better to be safe than sorry. Please be careful if you tie your ring to your shoe laces - suppose someone steps on your foot?

darling

Shiny_Rock
Cme, so sorry to hear about your house...

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 7:17:34 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
If someone asks to try anything of mine on, I just look the person in the eye and say ''I don''t permit it.'' No apologies. It''s better to be safe than sorry. Please be careful if you tie your ring to your shoe laces - suppose someone steps on your foot?

I''ve whacked my ring on all sorts of stuff when it''s been on my hand (when talking with my hands, or doing just about anything). Never had a problem with it being on my shoe! But like I said, most of the time I leave it at home when I''m at the gym.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who lost her first engagement ring bc she tucked it into her shoe while playing golf.
That would be really uncomfortable to me!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 9:37:33 AM
Author: justjulia
I have a friend who lost her first engagement ring bc she tucked it into her shoe while playing golf.

That would be really uncomfortable to me!

Yeah, walking around with your ring inside your ring would be! I unlace some of my shoe, put the ring on the lace, re-lace the shoe, tie it with a double knot. So it''s on the top of the shoe, not inside.

This is akin to Mara''s trick of tying it to the drawstring of her pants.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 4:35:06 PM
Author: Mara
i wear my juicy pants or similar which have drawstrings on them and if i have to take my ring off at the salon for the massage or whatever, i tie it onto my pants with like 3 knots.
Funny story about the usefulness of Pricescope: This past weekend my fiance and I were mock-fighting... I was trying to get him to come down to the pool with me and he was engrossed in espn.com... so I made a comment about marrying hockey and not me and took my ring off in a pretend-huff and presented it back to him dramatically. (These games are still fairly amusing since we''ve only been engaged for six weeks
31.gif
) When I went back to the office again, the ring was gone from where I''d set it, and I looked at him in alarm... he was of course grinning broadly. I started to check his fingers then remembered Mara''s post... and immediately went for the drawstring on his shorts... where the ring was neatly tied.
9.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Be careful with your "game" ephemery1, one day he may just not give the ring back! I honestly have never heard of mock fighting and giving back engement rings but to each their own.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 10:51:26 AM
Author: asscherisme
Be careful with your ''game'' ephemery1, one day he may just not give the ring back! I honestly have never heard of mock fighting and giving back engement rings but to each their own.
And I personally had never heard of tying engagement rings to drawstrings before, but apparently it''s pretty effective!
9.gif

I hoped people would understand what I meant by "mock-fighting"... but I''d be happy to clarify... conversation went like this:
ME: Come with me down to the pool? Please please please???
HIM (gazing intensely at computer screen): Just a minute...
ME (looking over his shoulder): HOCKEY... you love hockey more than me. (Pretend pouting.)
HIM (obviously kidding): Hmmm, maybe......
ME (feigning sadness): WELL THEN. I guess I won''t be needing this anymore... (taking off ring and laying it on the desk, as I was on my way to swim and didn''t want to be wearing it)

So no worries, Asscherisme... I think our relationship is still pretty stable!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results