shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo fun!

1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond, or other stone, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.? Post some pictures!

Yes, I have fallen ever so deeply in love with GOG''s new old mine cushions. I love me some chunky cushions (which is so funny to me now because I came to pricescope CONVINCED I wanted a princess)

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose?

He knows about my love affair with GOG OMCs haha. I''ve shown him some settings that I like but I''m not 100% sure what I want in a setting yet.

3) Will you go ring shopping with him?

We will definitely go look together to see what we both like but I''m pretty sure we''ll be ordering through online vendors so we won''t actually buy it together. Plus the current idea is that he will make the final decision on a setting and surprise me.

4) Do you have an idea of what his budget is? Would you be okay with contributing to the amount spent on a ring? Would he be okay with it?

Around 3K. He''s convinced that I made up this number but I know he mentioned it first haha. I would definitely contribute but he doesn''t want me to. In the end it doesn''t really matter since our finances will be combined once we''re married anyways.

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring?

Matching sets just rub me the wrong way, don''t know why. I''ll probably just get a solid band, that''s what my mom has and just what I''d always had in mind that I would get too.

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring?

I showed him some bands with diamonds in them, just to see what he said and he HATED them haha. He''ll probably end up getting a solid band as well maybe with a little detailing on it. I have a general idea of what he likes but I''ll let him pick it out. If it matches my ring thats nice but it really doesn''t have to, I mean how often are people going to look at our bands together anyways...

7) Finally - what don''t you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it''s okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

I tend not to like tension settings, bezels, or big halos. But as londongirl said... to each his own.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
you all have such lovely dream rings. i don''t really have a dream ring per se but i figured i''d be silly and answer anyway
9.gif

1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond, or other stone, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.? Post some pictures!

other than on my hand, nope not really. i would be perfectly happy with a solitaire. generally for jewelry i prefer silver, but for this i have no metal preferences.

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose?

he knows i don''t feel the need for anything large/expensive/complicated. however he often feels the need to spoil me. i have the slightest idea what i''ll be getting, as i have been purposefully no help, much to his chagrin.

unless he drags me somewhere, nope. it''s all his decision. (i am horrible at making decisions, i change my mind 3-4 times at restaurants and always am the last to order so i have extra time to change my mind)

4) Do you have an idea of what his budget is? Would you be okay with contributing to the amount spent on a ring? Would he be okay with it?

no. i rarely talk money with anyone unless it''s to inquire the pay of a job i''m interested in. in some ways i would be fine with contributing, but i am of the mind that if there is something i want for myself that is expensive i save up and purchase it myself. would he be fine with me contributing towards my engagement ring? more than likely not.

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring?

a matching set would be nice, but so long as the metals match and i can wear the rings together comfortably, i''d be happy with a plain band.

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring?

i want the color of the metal to match what i get. he wants a plain band, and it will be tungsten since that''s the most indestructible metal available. he knows i''m going to have a phrase engraved inside his ring, however he doesn''t know what it is yet. i have hopes, but it''s a little over the character limit so i''m inquiring currently to see if it''s possible.

7) Finally - what don''t you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it''s okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

i. do. not. want. pink.
38.gif
i have never been so happy about the high price of something as i am right now over the price of pink diamonds. i''m safe! (he wouldn''t really do that to me, but he''d tease me enough to make me wonder) i don''t care for the heart shaped stones, at least not for something i''d wear everyday.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2009 8:28:45 PM
Author: Squirrly

(i am horrible at making decisions, i change my mind 3-4 times at restaurants and always am the last to order so i have extra time to change my mind)

i''m the same exact way! BF once said, "if you''re that indecisive over food, i''m scared to think how you''ll be when it comes time to pick out a ring setting!".
9.gif
20.gif

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2009 10:12:12 PM
Author: vip0802

(i am horrible at making decisions, i change my mind 3-4 times at restaurants and always am the last to order so i have extra time to change my mind)

i''m the same exact way! BF once said, ''if you''re that indecisive over food, i''m scared to think how you''ll be when it comes time to pick out a ring setting!''.
9.gif
20.gif

lol. this means in the event that we were ever seated at the same table one of us would have to cave and not order last
6.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2009 12:13:13 AM

Date: 7/25/2009 10:12:12 PM
Author: vip0802

i''m the same exact way! BF once said, ''if you''re that indecisive over food, i''m scared to think how you''ll be when it comes time to pick out a ring setting!''.
9.gif
20.gif

lol. this means in the event that we were ever seated at the same table one of us would have to cave and not order last
6.gif
I''m terrible when it comes to ordering food- but thats'' just because I''m greedy and want to try a bit of everything. My SO always says he can''t believe I''m a size 4 because I always order loads of food AND I eat his too
9.gif

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
This is fun! I love reading everyone''s preferences.

White gold or platinum solitaire with either an Emerald or an Asscher or possibly a cushion. I either want it eventually set in something antique like in a split shank or maybe a unique band on each side of the solitaire.

He knows the size and type of diamond I want and will likely just get it set in a solitaire setting and we''ll go from there.

No! First of all he''s allergic to shopping and second of all he''s way too secretive about stuff like that.

His budget is 4k. I would be glad to contribute but he won''t have it.

See above

It will probably be something pretty simple in tungsten. It will be awkward for him since he''s so not the jewelry type!

Hmmmm, well I love diamonds so much so there isn''t a ton I don''t like but I''m not crazy about yellow gold or rings that have too much going on. I like simple.

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
1. I love solitaires, round is my favorite diamond!
1.gif

2. He knows somewhat what I want.
3. Official ring shopping is 100% FOR HIM
30.gif
Store browsing and joking around is fine though!
4. I know a (rough) budget, but that could change by proposal time, and actually I feel budget is not really my business!
5. I think I''d like a plain wedding band
6. Same for him. Would be nice if they match or at least have things in common.
7. I haven''t seen enough to know if I really DON''T like some styles, but for things like Erings and Wrings, the more traditional the better (imo)!

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
Not sure what color gold I like best though
7.gif
Any tips? Has something to do with skintone right?

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
This is a great post!

I'm not sure yet -- we've only been shopping briefly. I want a sparkly, faceted cut -- RB and cushion are probably my top two choices. Definitely white gold or platinum, but I wouldn't rule out rose gold accents. I love halo settings and solitaire settings -- not so much into side stones. I *love* the Vatche Princess Grace setting, but at $2k it may be too expensive. I also love Brian Gavin's knife-edge solitaire setting.

FF and I are doing this together, so he's seeing everything I like. We're going to try stuff on for the first time this weekend, YAY!

Yup. We are doing this together 100 percent.

Our budget, as of now, is $3500, as he doesn't want money from me and doesn't want to touch savings/stop saving in his savings acct/etc. I'm okay with this, but hoping that maybe we can find a little more money. He refuses to let me contribute. (I know it's awful of me to want more -- but I dunno, sometimes I dream of a 0.9 carat solitaire, LOL)

Brian Gavin has a cup-shaped wedding band that I will have to have (maybe set with emeralds and diamonds???) if I get a solitaire.

Simple, simple, simple white gold or platinum. I plan on buying this myself.

7) Finally - what don't you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it's okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

I have tiny fingers, so I dislike ovals and marquises that are horizontally set -- they make me look like I have hobbit hands. And my mom had a pear, so I'm sort of anti-pear.

Pic is of the Princess Grace setting (PERFECT for a cushion, IMO -- I would get RB for a solitaire, though)

18851.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock

Yep. I''d prefer a light colored sapphire or spinel solitaire on a mounting of diamonds (sort of like an eternity). If FF wants to be traditional and do a diamond then I want a diamond solitaire on an engraved band. I want a white metal, preferably palladium but white gold would also work.

Not yet, but I''ve been working on a document for him with plenty of ideas! He''ll probably get it this weekend...

Very unlikely. The document I''ve created gives pictures as well as websites where things can be ordered. It also gives my impressions of local jewelers as well as contact people who have details on rings I liked there. I would prefer for the ring to end up being his thing, but if he asks me to join in with him, that''s cool too.

No clue what his budget is. Though we haven''t discussed it, I''m pretty darn certain he''d be quite opposed to me chipping in. And I probably would rather this come entirely from him as well. Of course my document gives a range of price ranges, from placeholders in the $15-25 range and then real rings for $650-4500. I feel that there should be something in there that he would be able to comfortably afford, and I don''t want him spending tons of money because there are other things I''d rather we spend it on (like travel and savings).

I lean towards a matching set, but regardless, I want it to line up flush with my e-ring with no gaps, curve, notches, etc. In that respect I suppose I''m quite traditional.

6) Wedding band for your guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring?

I don''t know what he wants, but he''ll probably go for a plain band. Don''t care if it matches mine or not.

I don''t like it when a stone is too big or there''s too much bling. I''m not a fan of more contemporary settings for myself, though I do admire them on others. I also don''t like bands that are too thick either, probably because they make my fingers look rather stumpy.

Great thread!

Ringstyles.jpg

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want?
MUST be three stone princess cut with white gold or platinum setting. Really want the trellis setting.
2) Does your FF know what you want?
Yes, I showed him online pics. We have agreed for him to propose with a cheapish right hand ring and then I can pick out the ring.
Once after we are engaged cause I would like him to be involved in the process.
I sort of set his budget for him based on what is reasonable and what I like. I am a frugal girl and know his all of his finances, so I suggested a pretty low budget because I knew he would want to go higher. Our money will be joint once we get married so if he spends a ton on a ring, that's less for other more important things to us. I never ever considered chipping in. I am a totally earn your own money don't rely on a man girl and we always split everything equally, but I would feel very werid chipping in.
5) How about a wedding band?
Will get to this when the time comes.
6) Wedding band for you guy?
I doubt he even realizes he will be wearing a wedding ring.
7) Finally - what don't you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it's okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.
I am the weirdo here and I totally don't like solitaire. Just something about them, isn't me. I can't even do one big stone with small sidestones. I want to do 3 stone with pretty equal proportion 2:1 or less. I also don't want the center to stone to stick out that much. I love the finer coverage of a three stone.

DM15509100_PR_100_PR_50_zoom.jpg

katomm

Shiny_Rock
1. I really don''t want an engagement ring to be honest. I don''t wear rings to begin with and anything that is not flat against my finger is going to cause havoc for me.

2. He knows this yes although I think he''s going to give me one anyway.

3. Nope, we tried once and we have very different styles.

4. Yes, I''m going to probably be paying most actually because he has much more debt than I do.

5. My wedding band is a custom platinum band w/ 12 bezel set diamonds going across diagnally. I can''t post the photos.

6. He wants a plain platinum band and no, it will not match mine and that''s fine.

7. I don''t like yellow gold or white gold, stones that stick up, antique looking stuff, rose gold. I''m just so picky and want something unusual and modern.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
This is such a great post, Mrs H.! :D

I don''t know! I thought I wanted a princess cut diamond with tiny diamonds down each side, but the more I look (especially on pricescope!), the more I love several colored stones (omg blue spinel or yellow diamonds!!!) or even solitaires. So... I''m more clueless than when I found this site! I just want something pretty and very sparkly, hehe!

I think he wants to be traditional and find me a ring on his own. But then again, I think he might ask my BFF what kind of ring to get. In which case - I should show her some ideas soon! :D I would love it if he proposed then took me ring shopping, or vice verse, but I''ll just be happy to be engaged, honestly.

I pretty much answered that above. I''d love to, but only if he wants me to.

I would completely be fine with splitting the cost of a ring. I don''t know that he has considered that as an option. And I have no idea what he considers a budget to be.

I loooooooooove eternity rings. If I get a solitaire, I would probably want an eternity ring with it, but if I get anything other than a solitaire, it will depend on what the ring looks like.

He actually showed me some rings he likes! :D He wants something that is not just a plain band, but he doesn''t want it to have gems in it. I think he would want it to somewhat match my rings, but it will depend what I end up with.

I really do not like round stones for the center. They are beautiful on so many other women''s hands, but just not for me. I adore soooo many rings on here with round center stones, but I like princess cuts myself. That''s really my only dislike, and that''s just personal. Well, and yellow gold, but I just feel like it doesn''t suit my skintone. I pretty much like anything sparkly... That really narrows it down, huh? :)

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
Fun topic! I feel like I constantly have this on my mind, so it's fun to share it with all of you! :)

1) It has changed SO much since I first began looking (one year ago!)... Thank goodness my FF is so patient... Went from a solitaire to a double halo that I absolutely adore and it is way more "me". See attached pic...
2) Kind of had to have a say just because I'm so picky when it comes to just COSTUME jewelry... But not involved in choosing the stone except for the shape. And I told him what I like, but he is in the driver's seat on that one. :)
3) Been there... So fun. Can't wait to do it again for the wedding band!!
4) I know the budget and yes I would totally contribute ... if he would actually let me is another thing... :)
5) Wedding band? Absolutely. Eternity. It won't fit flush against the ER but it looks really great with the small gap.
6) My guy (B) has the best hands... so masculine. I gave him a Lois Hill cigar band for our one year anniversary and it is the coolest chunkiest ring. Fits on his finger perfectly and he wears it all the time... So we are thinking something along those lines...
7) I don't like yellow gold on me... But I love rose gold, so I'm thinking that might be a future RHR?!?! Or possibly do the eternity in rose gold. Not a big fan of princess cuts on me, but they look nice on other people. I just don't see the sparkle that I crave like you get from rounds and cushions.... Mmmm love those!! :)

Some day I hope to have a Leon OR Michael Barin double halo ring... Just not in the cards right now, but I am so happy with what we decided on!!

LVERRING4.jpg

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
I love the lines of the profile...! :) Sits lower too which is what I was looking for....

LVERRING5.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think I actually KNOW what I want, now if mr man will just pop the question we can get started on this bad boy

PawnShopHustler

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 6:59:45 PM
Author:MrsHToBe
I''m sorry if these types of questions are supposed to be in another area of PS (i.e. Rocky Talky), but I figure it pertains to us LsIW, and I haven''t seen a post like this in a while, so I''m taking my chances, and posting here, anyway.
3.gif

1: White gold cushion cut 1.5ct sapphire solitaire w/ claw prongs. No side stones.

2 & 3: Oh I will be picking this out myself. I could just see him embarassing me by buying something overpriced from Kay''s.
29.gif

4: I will not contribute. He''s would not be ok with that. I know he doesn''t have money-money for something big and blingy. I''m back in school and we both owe Sallie Mae our souls.
15.gif
When I asked him to marry me (don''t ask, long story, totally different subject) he called me the next week to know that he''s setting up a "fund"
20.gif
for my ring. I mentioned getting a ring from the pawnshop and he doesn''t believe in that. And he''s not very comfortable about me wanting a sapphire (like we have to prove anything to anybody by buying a diamond).

5 & 6: Double row wedding band. Matching with his of course.

7. Hmmmm, it''s hard for me to not like anything.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Yup - diamond solitaire! Preferably in a Leon cathedral setting, like Harriet's gorgeous ring, shown here (hope you don't mind my borrowing your picture, Harriet!)

HLM1.jpg

Though lately, I'm also in love with this stunning Leon repro:

leonrepro.jpg

Oh he knows
3.gif
And he knows I'm picky - he has a list of what I want
2.gif

I hope so! Although I know he wants the proposal to be a surprise - but he might have me send him potential diamond links around the time he starts looking, so he'll know what I like but keep the exact timing uncertain
3.gif

He's told me his budget- and to get that, we're waiting at least 3 more years since we still have one more year of law school, a deferral year for him at least, where he gets a stipend but still, not enough to save up for a ring and wedding, and then a year of us working full-time where we can really save up money to pay for everything, since we won't be using credit. A looong time left....

As far as me contributing, he says that it'll all be our money (jointly) soon after anyway, so he'd rather I not contribute (instead, while he's putting away money for the e-ring, I'll be putting money into our wedding fund, so it evens out I think)

This is a toughie! BF likes plain bands, and I like the symplicity of plain bands too...but on the other hand, I love blingy eternity bands. I told BF I might want two
3.gif

We actually talked about this last night and he said he likes something wider (probably 5-6 mm) and he doesn't want too shiny or too matte lol. It probably won't match my ring, and I'm not entirely sure what he wants (though he definitely wants a white metal, either white gold or platinum) but he said he'll know when he sees it
3.gif

Hmm...I don't like super dated looks, and I'm not a fan of princess cuts. I can appreciate a well-cut gorgeous princess...but I don't want one for my e-ring. I don't want a 3- or 5-stone for the e-ring, though I would definitely say yes to 3- or 5-stone RHRs...same with colored stones (I would LOVE a cushion cut, top color blue sapphire with diamond trap sides some day). Don't want halos for my ring, though I like them otherwise - same with bezels. The problem is, most of what I don't want for my e-ring...I would happily love and wear as RHRs...expensive!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock

* Solitaire cushion with a thin, plain white gold band :)

*He definitely knows what I want .. I made sure to send an email outlining what''s important to me, complete with pics!

*I wouldn''t mind "browsing", but I don''t want to be involved in the actual purchasing process.

*Honestly, his budget would be whatever I want. Luckily, I only want a ring that would be between $1-2k. I am not planning on contributing, and I know he would hate the idea anyway.

*No, I do not want a matching set. I will most likely have an eternity band, though I may stack a plain white gold band in there too. I plan to have more "fun" with the wedding band(s).

*He will definitely wear one, but he wears yellow gold, so it won''t "match". I want him to get whatever he wants :)

*Anything too big, tacky, gaudy, etc. Bad quality diamonds are obviously a huge no-no!

treelight237

Rough_Rock
) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond, or other stone, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.? Post some pictures!

I have always loved cushion cuts, i didn't know there were so many b4 GOG! i have totally fallen in love with the chunkies (tho the Jubliees look so pretty too!) so i am torn between the chunky cush or the modern cush from BG. Do any of you have this problem?
I WANT PALLADIUM all the way! i kinda wanted 2 tone but it's not a easy finding a good setting with 2 tones...still looking if any of you have ideas. BG's fishtail with the truth head is my fav setting so far.

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose? Oh he know's, i've tried to stay out of it but it's not easy.

3) Will you go ring shopping with him? Just to look at the real thing, I want a e-ring!

4) Do you have an idea of what his budget is? Would you be okay with contributing to the amount spent on a ring? Would he be okay with it? He and I would not be ok and contributing. We are traditional that way. It Think his buget is around 7000$

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring? That i want to leave totally up to him...i did give him some ideas of what i don't like! :)

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring? Something simple he says. i'm thinking palladium of course!

7) Finally - what don't you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it's okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc

I don't like the 2 bars around the diamond setting...forgot what it's called i'll find a pic and post it.

SparklyRing

Shiny_Rock
1) Of course! I want a one carat round brilliant diamond solitaire in the classic Tiffany setting, although I''d be happy with a stone under that size as long as it''s not too small. It should be ideal cut, eye-clean, and looks white. I''m pickiest about cut and carat, not so much about the other two C''s.

2) He does. He has ventured some guesses at what I''d want and he''s right on track! Although I suspect that he thinks that 1 carat may be too big for me because my finger size is 2.5.

3) We''ve already gone ring shopping for a promise ring. For the e-ring, I think he''ll want to ask me for further clarifications, but he wants it to be a surprise.

4) I think it''s around 3000-4000K. We are both very traditional and neither of us would be OK with me contributing to it.

5) I just want a plain white gold band.

6) He also wants a plain band, but in titanium.

7) I don''t want to offend anyone, but I dislike too much bling around the diamond, on the bands, and on the sides because I feel like they take away from the center diamond. Of course, this is just my general opinion and I have seen rings with a lot of bling that I thought were beautiful, but, in general, I prefer solitaires.

This is my dream ring!

tiffany-diamond-solitaire.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

* Currently loving this James Allen: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-colored-sidestones/ring/item_382-3617.asp

Platinum band, round brilliant center stone, trillion cut sapphire or emerald flanking stones.

*He''s heard me drop what I want several times...if I''m telling my girlfriends about what I like, I make sure he''s within earshot. But in the end, it''s all his decision!

*I wouldn''t mind going to the store to try stuff on, see what *he* likes on *me*...double check my sizing...but I don''t want to see the ring itself until he asks.

*I have no clue what his budget is, but I''ve been absolutely clear that I don''t want a ridiculously large or expensive ring--I''m too terrified of losing it!!!

*I was set on a plain band, but I''m beginning to like the look of alternating diamonds and colored stones in a channel set band.

*I plan on finding out exactly what he wants when we actually start planning the wedding. In the words of Stacey and Clinton from "What Not to Wear"...I don''t think they need to match...but I would like them to "go" together...

*Things I dislike: poor quality (diamond) and workmanship (setting)...being the same as everyone else...halos (I think they''re gorgeous on other people...and possibly with a gemstone for a RHR...just not for my ERing)...thinking bigger must be better...antiquing or engraving...eternity bands...pave or channel setting on the ERing itself...I think that''s enough for now!!!
3.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Can I offer a little advice to all you LIW. I thought I knew what I wanted, which was a split shank diamond ering and princess channel set wedding band but when I actually got it I knew it wasn''t for me
14.gif
. If you get the chance, try on different styles before your SO parts with any $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results