shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring height/rise: How tall is too tall?

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
Hello, vintage jewelry lovers!

I have fallen for an antique ring that I'm considering purchasing. It's a beautiful and unique cluster/flower type design with an old-cut stone in the center. The problem is that it's 12mm high. :shock:

It's shaped rather like a bomb pop (from the side view), with the center stone standing well above the single-cut side stones. Even the side stones appear to sit at least 6-7mm above the finger. I'll add that it's not something I'd wear daily--and certainly never when I'm wearing gloves. :lol-2:

This ring is not a huge investment (<$1K), but it's not returnable.

Without sharing photos, I was hoping to get some feedback. Would it be dangerous to wear this weapon? Does anyone else have a ring this tall?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on your lifestyle and how you plan to wear it. I wouldn’t have a problem with it for something I occasionally wear. I have a friend who loves to have her rings set high as she thinks it highlights the stone and makes it look bigger. She would think the PS advice to set rings low is ridiculous. Her lifestyle is such that it isn’t an issue. But, if you have babies/toddlers you would stress about scratching take that into consideration.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, vintage jewelry lovers!

I have fallen for an antique ring that I'm considering purchasing. It's a beautiful and unique cluster/flower type design with an old-cut stone in the center. The problem is that it's 12mm high. :shock:

It's shaped rather like a bomb pop (from the side view), with the center stone standing well above the single-cut side stones. Even the side stones appear to sit at least 6-7mm above the finger. I'll add that it's not something I'd wear daily--and certainly never when I'm wearing gloves. :lol-2:

This ring is not a huge investment (<$1K), but it's not returnable.

Without sharing photos, I was hoping to get some feedback. Would it be dangerous to wear this weapon? Does anyone else have a ring this tall?

DEEEA648-97A3-422E-BA76-0D79D36E6A62.jpeg

This. This is too high.

LOL!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The practical aspect aside, it is also a personal preference.

I am gobsmacked by the side profile height of some of the rings on PS as I prefer mine to be as low as possible as I am heavy on my hands.

The rings that have a high profile in my collection are those with round or semi round pearls, and they are seldom worn for concerns of damaging them.

When I have rings made for me, I always specify for the profile to be as low as possible.

Each to their own and all that.

DK :))

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
The practical aspect aside, it is also a personal preference.

I am gobsmacked by the side profile height of some of the rings on PS as I prefer mine to be as low as possible as I am heavy on my hands.

The rings that have a high profile in my collection are those with round or semi round pearls, and they are seldom worn for concerns of damaging them.

When I have rings made for me, I always specify for the profile to be as low as possible.

Each to their own and all that.

I also don't care for a high side profile (an issue with many antique designs), so I'm not sure why this goofy ring is calling out to me!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I have some tall rings, mostly as the centre colored stone is huge (there is only that much you can do when the centre stone height is >10mm). It does take a bit of careful handling to wear but is doable if you wear once in a while and not while doing any active stuff.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My main OEC ring is about 10.5 mm high. The setting is beautiful, but I would really like get the stone reset as long as possible. The stone is 8.22 mm high, but I feel like that shaving off those 2 mm would make a big difference!

IMG_7367 (1).jpg

Last edited:

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
My main OEC ring is about 10.5 mm high. The setting is beautiful, but I would really like get the stone reset as long as possible. The stone is 8.22 mm high, but I feel like that shaving off those 2 mm would make a big difference!

IMG_7367 (1).jpg

Thanks for sharing this, @lulu_ma! It's helpful to know that you wish your setting was lower. Of course yours is a very different style than what I'm looking at--sleek and not at all "poke-y." Not to mention it has a much better excuse for being set high with that 8+mm stone depth!

I assume 10.5mm is to the top of the stone (not the setting).

Your ring is SO absolutely stunning that I had to find the thread in which you introduced it to PS. What a treat! Will you be sad to replace this setting once you set it lower? It's just an amazing work of art. :love:

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
This is the tall ring in question:

Attachments

• 2A97ACCF-F7F5-41B5-B296-AEDD60F6E77A.jpeg
    2A97ACCF-F7F5-41B5-B296-AEDD60F6E77A.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 47

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing this, @lulu_ma! It's helpful to know that you wish your setting was lower. Of course yours is a very different style than what I'm looking at--sleek and not at all "poke-y." Not to mention it has a much better excuse for being set high with that 8+mm stone depth!

I assume 10.5mm is to the top of the stone (not the setting).

Your ring is SO absolutely stunning that I had to find the thread in which you introduced it to PS. What a treat! Will you be sad to replace this setting once you set it lower? It's just an amazing work of art. :love:

Thank you! Yes, the 10.5 mm is to the top of the stone. I do love the setting but the height and the 18 prongs are a bit much for everyday wear. I will still keep the current setting when I reset so I can always switch back at some point :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is probably my tallest ring that does not have a round/semi-round pearl in it.

It is a natural blue Asscher cut Topaz by Doug M of Bespoke Gems in Australia, and the stone is 8.15ct L10.9 x W10.9 x D8.88mm.
It is currently sent with 2 sets of white Topaz step cut traps also by Doug M, and is too high for my liking, and the side view too bland.

Hence it will be reset with only 1 set of the traps so as to lower it slightly which I believe is doable judging by the space that I could observe between the bottom of the stone and the top of my finger; and for some details to be added the sides, like some paved diamonds and a larger one in the middle as drawn.

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
This is probably my tallest ring that does not have a round/semi-round pearl in it.

It is a natural blue Asscher cut Topaz by Doug M of Bespoke Gems in Australia, and the stone is 8.15ct L10.9 x W10.9 x D8.88mm.
DK's DM Asscher NB Topaz Remake.png
It is currently sent with 2 sets of white Topaz step cut traps also by Doug M, and is too high for my liking, and the side view too bland.

Hence it will be reset with only 1 set of the traps so as to lower it slightly which I believe is doable judging by the space that I could observe between the bottom of the stone and the top of my finger; and for some details to be added the sides, like some paved diamonds and a larger one in the middle as drawn.

That will look beautiful set lower, with one set of traps!

My OEC is set with a similar bit of air space under the stone (higher than I was expecting when I chose the setting). After wearing it for 3-4 years, I'm considering a new setting that goes in a different direction.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that it's 12mm high. :shock:

Spouse wore this often -- even at a pretty demanding job. It is ~ 18/32" or 14mm off the finger. It flops around a little but does not catch on things.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 11.13.53 PM.png

I think the shape really matters. For some of the giant petalled pave numbers on IG, I don't know how someone would even open the front door.

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
Spouse wore this often -- even at a pretty demanding job. It is ~ 18/32" or 14mm off the finger. It flops around a little but does not catch on things.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 11.13.53 PM.png

I think the shape really matters. For some of the giant petalled pave numbers on IG, I don't know how someone would even open the front door.

Thanks for posting this example. VERY tall, but smooth enough to make it wearable, for sure!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting this example. VERY tall, but smooth enough to make it wearable, for sure!

She had no trouble putting on latex/nitrile gloves over it -- but I would not try that with your example.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
DEEEA648-97A3-422E-BA76-0D79D36E6A62.jpeg

This. This is too high.

LOL!

BAHAHA! #NailedIt
Personally, my rings are always set as low as can be generally. The culet should be no more than 1mm above the finger, so I end up on #TeamGap by default due to my ring setting choices.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

mtriplee

Rough_Rock

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for referring me to this! I'm definitely finding myself drawn to the tall designs of the 1920s and 30s.

Yes, it is a brown diamond, and it's more a cluster/flower style than an illusion style.

That’s cool that it’s a brown diamond! If you go back to visit it please take a hand pic :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results