shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring from American Set Co / Diamond from Amazon.com = Very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hola_jonathan

Rough_Rock
I was on a relatively tight budget (around $1000) so I bought a diamond from amazon.com

GIA cert .63 carat (5.5 x 5.45mm) very good cut, J color, VS1 clarity, strong blue fluorescence

And I bought a setting from American Set co on ebay. I sent the stone to american set and they set it for me ($35) after sizing the ring to a size 4. American set was great to work with and I recommend them highly. I had a lot of questions and received fast, professional service. The turn around from when I dropped the stone in the mail until I got it back was exactly 1 week, going priority both ways from Michigan to California.

As many of you know, photographing rings is not an easy task, even with a good camera and above average photography skills. Color seems to be especially deceiving in photos. Inside I can see a touch or warmth depending on the lighting and angle, and outside, even on a rainy day, is faces up very white. For about $1100 and some change I could not be happier. I hope she agrees :)

1122111.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful
36.gif
- I almost bought a setting from them, thought their prices were great, and they were very prompt with returning my emails. Glad you had a great experience with them!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!
30.gif

I am absolutely blown away that you managed to get this ring for just over $1000. It is beautiful!

hola_jonathan

Rough_Rock
Inanna -- me too, actually. By being willing to go down to J color and taking the risk of going with ebay for a setting (although I did some research on the seller first) I got a lot nicer ring than I could pick up for $1100 at a local jeweler.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Congratulations!!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That looks lovely, and it sounds like it was an amazing deal - nicely done!!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 9:35:43 PM
Author: Inanna
WOW!
30.gif

I am absolutely blown away that you managed to get this ring for just over $1000. It is beautiful!

me too! seriously!
it''s beautiful!
you did good :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

Quick question though. You said in another post that you bought the stone for 800. And I see this setting listed by the seller for 500. And then there is the setting charge. So was your budget closer to 1400 than 1000, or did you win an auction for less than the setting is listed for in their ebay store. Also, did you get everything appraised? I would be curious to see what it all appraises for!
1.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!!!
36.gif

Lori

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I''m amazed that you only spent $1000. The ring is gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Love the 4th picture. So sparkly!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are a great shopper. That is a beautiful ring it looks like spent a lot more money on it then you actually did.

hola_jonathan

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Yes, the diamond was $800. The setting was in fact $305. I guess with the setting fee and shipping that brings it up to $1150.

Here''s a link to the setting. You are probably looking at the same style in platinum. I went with 14k gold. I knew I didn''t want platinum and since they''re both rhodium plated I personally didn''t see the point in paying more for 18k that in the end . . . still looks like rhodium.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330212103830

hola_jonathan

Rough_Rock
And to your second question, no, I haven''t had it appraised. I just got it today! I do need to do that to get it on my home owners insurance, I assume. American Set sent me their "appraisal" that puts just the setting at $600. Although I am very happy with their work, an appraisal that comes from the seller doesn''t mean much. Of course they''re going to send something that says it''s "worth" more than I paid. When I get an appraisal I''ll post it on here for anyone who is curious.

At the end of May I will be proposing, and then I can post the obligatory ring on finger pictures.
9.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! Beautiful ring!! I love the profile work! Great job!
36.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
beautiful cut!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hola_jonathan - i''m kind of chuckling here, because...

if she knows you''re on a tight budget, she will NOT be expecting THIS!!

it''s gorgeous!! i think things panned out well for you, granted, but this is an excellent example that great rings can be had by guys willing to make an effort.

congratulations!

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
IT''s lovely Jonathan, very nice job!!! I think she will love it and adore you for it.

hola_jonathan

Rough_Rock
Whitby -- She doesn''t know I''m on a budget because she doesn''t know I''m in the market. :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 12:17:34 PM
Author: hola_jonathan
Whitby -- She doesn''t know I''m on a budget because she doesn''t know I''m in the market. :)
Nice! Good job all around!

sazza

Rough_Rock
That ring is beautiful, you did a great job!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous congrats

hola_jonathan

Rough_Rock
THe flowers are in bloom and it''s a bright day (but not direct sun), which any photographer will tell you is ideal for capturing accurate colors. It is amazing how much easier it is to photograph jewelry in natural sunlight as opposed to indoors.

Here are a few of my favorites. I have long been into macro photography, but this is so much prettier than my traditional subject matter, namely spiders.

AIMG_1122.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results