shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring/Diamond Upgrade Strategy

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a dilemma that I hope you all can help me with. I'm looking to upgrade my wedding set for my 20th anniversary this year, and I need design advice. They thing is, I like to be low key, and I'm a traditionalist so my jewelry style has always been a Round cut solitaire with platinum (white metal). I know what I like, and know what I like to wear. However, I also plan on keeping my current set, which was my 1.81 carat solitaire and 7-stone anniversary band seen in my avatar. That being said, I don't know if I should just get a bigger round cut set in a white metal, or should I go completely different cut (leaning towards AVR) and metal so that I have different "looks". I don't want my current set to be "neglected"

Please share stories of your upgrades, and whether you kept the original style, or went completely out of the box?

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would totally go for a different look in that case! I fantasize about an emerald cut! But when I think about having to rotate my round for another E ring, I lose all inspiration. Deep down I’m a one ring to rule them all. I’m looking into upgrading as we speak. If I sold off a lot of my rhr’s, I could definitely swing another dream ring—hmmmmm. Maybe I should entertain this idea. Lol.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm just worried that if I get something too "out of the box" I will not wear it an love it. I had a princess cut for a while that just sat in my jewelry box for years, and I wore just my anniversary band because it didn't feel like "me". I've also contemplated ovals because they are similar to rounds, soft, romantic shape.....

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a round 1.81 solitaire in platinum. My wedding band is a plain 2mm platinum.
I prefer classic traditional clothes and jewelry, not a fan of trendy, especially in jewelry.

I would probably do a large EC with baguettes. Very Harry Winston. But maybe you prefer ovals more?
I would stick with platinum so it could be worn with my wedding band.

How sentimental are you (and your DH) about your stone? Would it upset you to replace it with a larger round diamond? And how do you feel you would utilize a second ring---right hand or take turns with 2 e-rings you wear with your wedding band?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for a different metal and shape so your current set feels distinct and fresh. Maybe an oval or a cushion in YG with a plain YG band to be completely different to your current? It'd still be classic but also give you that upgrade feel.. while also being able to mix and match if you wanted to?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@nala- I did see your posts about an upgrade! We are looking at around the same size stone, so have been reviewing all the stones you're looking at :) However, due to not trading in any diamonds for this project, I have a less robust budget, and will likely get a MMD, unless a find a fancy cut that speaks to me, that doesn't break the bank!

@Elizabeth35- I have never owned a stepcut, I don't know if that is too sleek and modern for traditional me, but a huge EC does sound super classy. I also have a 2mm plain platinum wedding band, so you and I have similar taste! and you're right, I probably will want to wear my 20-year anniversary ring with my plain 2mm band. What do think of an oval set in pave band a la Blake Lively (but in platinum)?

@foxinsox -So hard to picture myself wearing other color metals, but what you're saying makes so much sense. Is rose gold still in style?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strategy: buy what you like.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox -So hard to picture myself wearing other color metals, but what you're saying makes so much sense. Is rose gold still in style?
I think RG is always in style if it suits your skin colour =)2 a lot of the modern RG gets lost on me a bit but vintage YG always has a rosy tone that works for me.
If you're able to go try things on, I would absolutely do that - see how a different colour set and different styles of rings look and if it's pleasing to your eyes or if it's jarring.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think RG is always in style if it suits your skin colour =)2 a lot of the modern RG gets lost on me a bit but vintage YG always has a rosy tone that works for me.
If you're able to go try things on, I would absolutely do that - see how a different colour set and different styles of rings look and if it's pleasing to your eyes or if it's jarring.

I don't know how easy it is to visit jewellery shops these days...but I'd second that where possible.

Are you crafty? Can you do some paper mock ups (pipe-cleaners LOL) for shapes and size? Would your daughter be up for helping you to make some different styles of rings?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
@nala- I did see your posts about an upgrade! We are looking at around the same size stone, so have been reviewing all the stones you're looking at :) However, due to not trading in any diamonds for this project, I have a less robust budget, and will likely get a MMD, unless a find a fancy cut that speaks to me, that doesn't break the bank!

@Elizabeth35- I have never owned a stepcut, I don't know if that is too sleek and modern for traditional me, but a huge EC does sound super classy. I also have a 2mm plain platinum wedding band, so you and I have similar taste! and you're right, I probably will want to wear my 20-year anniversary ring with my plain 2mm band. What do think of an oval set in pave band a la Blake Lively (but in platinum)?

I don't personally love pave--but that is personal. You need to get what you love and will wear.
I'm not a fan of mixing metals but maybe that would work for you.
It's really about your taste!
Any chance you can try on some rings locally and see if something speaks to you? What do you see on PS that you admire and may want to try?
And of course, what suits your lifestyle and how you plan to wear this ring.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
What about a 3 stone? Something slightly different, more coverage, but still made of MRB!

I also feel like a different stone is a good idea, if you get another MRB chances are one of your rings will get neglected. I’d also suggest getting an elongated shape (like the oval, or a pear, or marquis) and/or step cut instead of brilliant (so an emerald cut) so that your new ring is as different as your old one as it’s possible to get! A different metal color is also a great idea but only if you know you’ll wear the other color without reservation. I also like the symmetry of wearing your original wedding set as a “plain solitaire and diamond band” and your anniversary set as “pave/accent stone solitaire and plain band”!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This is how I’m currently wearing my set. Solitaire with and plain 2mm band since I’m WFH. Just to show you guys what my style is. Very understated and elegant IMHO. But I have always been told that due to my nail shape, elongated shapes would look good on me and match the shape of my nails. A55A4B49-01A1-4F21-A3BA-E0C5301C11C8.jpeg
32A95434-0294-4D69-A1D0-5052ED2ABD78.jpeg

My mom has a 3 stone ring, I have tried it on, but compared to a solitaire, my preference is a stand alone centerstone to let it pop. 5BB49B08-0568-4FDA-BECC-501F9019A126.jpeg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how easy it is to visit jewellery shops these days...but I'd second that where possible.

Are you crafty? Can you do some paper mock ups (pipe-cleaners LOL) for shapes and size? Would your daughter be up for helping you to make some different styles of rings?

Neither my daughter nor I are crafty, but if anyone would like to try photoshopping a nice oval 2.5-3ct range on my finger, that would be awesome!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered an eternity ring for your right hand?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Strategy: buy what you like.

I like round solitaires.....a lot! But do I need another round solitaire? Gosh darn it, maybe!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I prefer to put money on jewels I wear everyday and I'm one ring gal, so I'd trade the current diamond and I'd upgrade to a 2.5 ct, eventually 3 ct, MBR solitaire, F/G color, VS clarity, obviously superideal.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here are my opinions and get-what-you-pay-for armchair psychological analysis:

This isn't an upgrade, it's an addition. You love your current solitaire so much that you do not want to trade it in. You love it so much that you are thinking of bringing in a new ring that you will love equally, or even ever so slightly less than this one. You don't want something that you love more for fear that current ring will be overlooked and forgotten.

What are you craving? Is it variety or a larger round stone? I think you have beautiful hands with long fingers that would look lovely with an elongated shape...oval, pear, even marquise which I don't think has been in style for a while. If it's variety you want, I think your strategy of adding a ring could work. But if what you really want is a larger round solitaire, what are the chances you are going to enjoy anything but? And if that's what you go for, what are the chances that you'll continue to love your current ring? So why not go full upgrade and trade in this stone?

I love your current set, both with plain band and 7-stone band. I'm a round solitaire fan myself and switching up the bands would be enough variety for me. But that's me, not you!

edited to add the red part...

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you love what you currently have as far as shape, setting, and overall look.
I would just trade in your current diamond to get the size you want and keep everything similar. Why change an already great look that you love?

I would get a MMD in another shape at a later point to appease that desire as well.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered an eternity ring for your right hand?

Not really, I don't like wearing rings on my right hand because my knuckles are bigger on my right and it takes a lot of effort to get rings on and off. When they are on, they are super loose on around the base and uncomfortable because they move around a lot.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I* would go with an oval in yellow gold and a bead set pave diamond band with milgrain. Different but still simple. Then you when you decide
you want to step out of your comfort zone some you can do some mixing of metals with your bands and different erings!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered getting the out of the box option as tester ring in CZ or moissy so you can see if you would wear it and love it? That is what I would consider in your case. Personally I would do moissy. Even if you don't love it enough to make for real it would be a nice play or travel ring. ETA...or you could reset into a pendant or solitaire bangle if you don't mind wearing moissy.

FWIW I am a one ring gal. I love to look at others but I know I wouldn't wear them as I love mine too much. I have not yet in nearly 4 years though about changing it or upgrading. Who knows what might happen in the future but I have no plans, no alternate sets to change out.
Sometimes you know what you like and it's OK to stick with that!

Last edited:

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
I would never wear the smaller stone lol. I reach for the biggest bling no matter what. So having 2 engagement rings would be a waste to me. If you are attached to your original stone and don't want to trade it, I'd set it in a pendant and wear it everyday. And get a new bigger solitaire. I mistakenly set my upgrade in a Tacori setting, it took only a few days after I had it to realize only a plain solitaire with diamond wedding band works for me. My upgraded plain solitaire with my old wedding bands makes me happy every day!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I would never wear the smaller stone lol. I reach for the biggest bling no matter what. So having 2 engagement rings would be a waste to me. If you are attached to your original stone and don't want to trade it, I'd set it in a pendant and wear it everyday. And get a new bigger solitaire. I mistakenly set my upgrade in a Tacori setting, it took only a few days after I had it to realize only a plain solitaire with diamond wedding band works for me. My upgraded plain solitaire with my old wedding bands makes me happy every day!

Ditto.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaysonsmom, do you have any updates? What have you decided to do?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@jaysonsmom, do you have any updates? What have you decided to do?

I have decided to get a custom Oval cut! Set in a platinum solitaire setting, and 2 skinny rose gold anniversary bands (representing 20 years) to flank the center stone for a whole new set. My husband actually made the decision for me. He said if I get the same shape stone, I would probably not wear my current set. With a new solitaire in a different shape, and 2 stacking bands, I can mix and match both sets!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have decided to get a custom Oval cut! Set in a platinum solitaire setting, and 2 skinny rose gold anniversary bands (representing 20 years) to flank the center stone for a whole new set. My husband actually made the decision for me. He said if I get the same shape stone, I would probably not wear my current set. With a new solitaire in a different shape, and 2 stacking bands, I can mix and match both sets!

Oh how fun! I can’t wait to see the thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results