shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring CAD review

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I just took some pictures of the video as stills. 0211DE69-142A-4825-B38A-F76B79DBDB9A.jpeg 10EFA458-0EAA-46E1-9003-A92C79B53A09.png F9824119-45B0-4F9C-AEF2-F2A1D56F1619.png
After looking at the video multiple times, I realized that I think the bezel surrounding the sapphire is too thick.
If I ask DK to make it thinner when he remakes it with the right metal, would he have to adjust the diamond size surrounding it? I ask because they were custom cut and took a while.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. No need to worry. DK is top notch in remaking/fixing items done in error. I believe I remember a while back them even remaking a design because the customer realized their choice of design wasn’t what they really wanted, once they saw the finished product.

As for milgrain, yes there’s different sizes. Then there’s beading and that also in different sizes.
Both can be done by hand or can be cast in the design. Just depends on the look you are going for.

I think the best mode of communication would be you showing pictures examples of what you like/want and what you don’t like. From their Instagram if possible?
And you drawing on your cad or still shots If the video they gave you, of what you want it to be.
Then of course discussing it.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, thinning out the inner bezel -strictly speaking- would most likely render the custom cuts not to fit the same way anymore. Definitely a question to ask them tho.
Did they also provide you with a pic on a hand for prospective? That may or may not change your mind on thinking it looks too thick? Plus you wanted the halo in platinum, that might be less obvious?
A double row of fine milgrain might change the perception of it being too thick?
I understand your questions and thoughts - but I think it looks lovely.

Last edited:

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
As for milgrain, yes there’s different sizes. Then there’s beading and that also in different sizes.
Both can be done by hand or can be cast in the design. Just depends on the look you are going for.

Is it better to do the milgrain or beading by hand or machine? And what is the difference between milgrain and beading? Is beading a larger milgrain?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

this thread linked above is very helpful

C7FDD021-85A6-4711-BF20-6F6B8DF885F9.jpeg
this above is a newly made fine milgrain, but I have antique pieces with even finer (smaller) example 30D2AB33-08BF-4703-9C24-0C10CC66D6C4.jpeg
This is an example of beading on a ring of mine

Last edited:

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Yes, thinning out the inner bezel -strictly speaking- would most likely render the custom cuts not to fit the same way anymore. Definitely a question to ask them tho.
Did they also provide you with a pic on a hand for prospective? That may or may not change your mind on thinking it looks too thick? Plus you wanted the halo in platinum, that might be less obvious?
A double row of fine milgrain might change the perception of it being too thick?
I understand your questions and thoughts - but I think it looks lovely.

Thank you for your kind words @Rfisher , I do love the setting and hope the small details and large ones will be smoothed out soon!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Something I'd consider is that to milgrain something you do need a tad more room on the edge so the thickness may not be a issue in the end. That said it does look different from the outer bezel, I'm not am expert but I wonder if the girdle is wide enough to just "shave" down the top part of the bezel and not affect the baguettes.
But wooweee that is a gorgeous ring and the baguette halo is out of sight

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Something I'd consider is that to milgrain something you do need a tad more room on the edge so the thickness may not be a issue in the end. That said it does look different from the outer bezel, I'm not am expert but I wonder if the girdle is wide enough to just "shave" down the top part of the bezel and not affect the baguettes.
But wooweee that is a gorgeous ring and the baguette halo is out of sight

Thank you @CSpan for that! Yes, I do love the halo too. I asked DK for a hand shot/video to see if the bezel was really too thick and I think it is okay. He also mentioned that he was concerned that if the bezel was thinned, it may not be as sturdy in protecting the sapphire if I accidentally hit my ring.

I also think that having the bezel in platinum will make it not so obvious against the diamonds. At least that is what I am hoping!

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Metal costs go up and down over time, with frequent market cost adjustments. Unless you really want gold, I would suggest platinum, especially if less expensive.

This is not correct:
Although gold is more expensive per ounce, platinum labor is extremely expensive, casting charge is literally 10x that of gold, and it's more dense.

Then the rest of the work is also more expensive, grinding, setting, polishing etc.

My calculation is to double the metal and labour costs.

IE:
18k = $1000 of metal and labour + diamonds + Centre gem.

Plat = $2000 of metal and labour + diamonds and centre gem.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
This is not correct:
Although gold is more expensive per ounce, platinum labor is extremely expensive, casting charge is literally 10x that of gold, and it's more dense.

Then the rest of the work is also more expensive, grinding, setting, polishing etc.

My calculation is to double the metal and labour costs.

IE:
18k = $1000 of metal and labour + diamonds + Centre gem.

Plat = $2000 of metal and labour + diamonds and centre gem.

Curious, how much longer would it take to set diamonds in platinum as opposed to gold? I am trying to be patient as I wait for my ring to be redone. . .

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Soooooo, my ring is finished finally! I am just deciding about milgrain and where I should do it.

I am inclined to have the milgrain around the sapphire, the baguettes and on the shoulders. My goal is for the ring to have an art deco feel. Any suggestions for if I should do something at the gallery? Shank?

IMG_8508-1.jpeg
IMG_8509.jpeg
Sorry the pics aren't the greatest- DK said that his photographer broke his/her ankle and these were pics from his phone.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Here is one more pic:
IMG_8514.jpeg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it as is.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
So, I tried to see how it is with the milgrain. Not sure how well the pics will look but I'll give it a try.
DKPV2020-09-22---60666-SB-02.jpeg

So, is it my eye, but does the sapphire look like it isn't sitting flush with the bezel at the bottom left corner?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So, I tried to see how it is with the milgrain. Not sure how well the pics will look but I'll give it a try.
1600813488484.png

So, is it my eye, but does the sapphire look like it isn't sitting flush with the bezel at the bottom left corner?

I would send this pic with the areas of concern circled to DK, see what they say. I once got a pic from them that looked like a glaring defect, but DK assured me was just a reflection. He was right, it was fine in person. They are really nice about questions like that, just ask :)

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I would send this pic with the areas of concern circled to DK, see what they say. I once got a pic from them that looked like a glaring defect, but DK assured me was just a reflection. He was right, it was fine in person. They are really nice about questions like that, just ask :)

Thanks @CHRISTY-DANIELLE - I am so nervous since this is my first custom anything!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
My issue was almost identical, it looked like a bezel was wonky. But it wasn't! Custom can be nerve racking even if you've done it before...but it's also addicting...getting just what you want, just what you envisioned.
The great thing with DK is if you get it and something's not right, they fix it. Graciously.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
My issue was almost identical, it looked like a bezel was wonky. But it wasn't! Custom can be nerve racking even if you've done it before...but it's also addicting...getting just what you want, just what you envisioned.
The great thing with DK is if you get it and something's not right, they fix it. Graciously.

I know, he has been only kind and professional in all of his emails.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
DKPV2020-09-22---60666-SB-02.jpeg

I got a video from DK and it looks fine! I was worried for nothing!

So before I tell him to send it, is there anything else that I should do? There is a part of me that feels like something it still missing? Or is the the contrast between the blue and the platinum that makes me feel like it is too harsh? Ack!

Any thoughts for this nervous first timer? Or it is fine just the way it is?

Attachments

• 1600863368100.png
    1600863368100.png
    570.8 KB · Views: 24

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
It looks nice to me
He just did my first cad design idk if u saw the thread but I had some concerns he fixed it and the final piece is Great

Idk how else you’d change yours aside from beading or engraving and I don’t think that’s necessary

CBC8759D-5E5E-42A4-918B-DD1967430EFB.jpeg

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
It looks nice to me
He just did my first cad design idk if u saw the thread but I had some concerns he fixed it and the final piece is Great

Idk how else you’d change yours aside from beading or engraving and I don’t think that’s necessary

CBC8759D-5E5E-42A4-918B-DD1967430EFB.jpeg

Your ring is beautiful and DK did a wonderful job! I realized that I was overthinking the whole thing and that there indeed was no more to be done! He sent the ring and I will be receiving it tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful! :love:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see more pictures of the finished ring! I’m loving the mix of colors that I see in this picture of the sapphire. Do you have a thread on the stone?
1D62757B-3CB7-4302-88FE-B9C525FD73E8.jpeg

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I should have the ring in my hands tomorrow so I’ll try to take pics if isn't too late.
As for the sapphire, it is an unheated Madagascar stone that I got from Gene. It was such a pretty colored stone and a good size for what I was looking for that I couldn’t pass it up! I love it the more I look at it. Gene’s cutting of the stone is fantastic and it has flashes of blue, purple, grey and maybe a hint of green- the moodiness is captivating.

I really thought I would end up making a ring with a Ceylon blue sapphire that I got first but this stone ended up getting made before that one. I’ll have to do something else with the Ceylon sapphire later on.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Looks great!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s a beauty! So lovely on your hand.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring and the stone are stunning! :love: The piece looks so beautiful on your hand. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results