shape
carat
color
clarity

Richard Homer Satin Snowflake setting ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Romeblue

Rough_Rock
I finally broke down and am in the process of getting a satin snowflake by Richard Homer. I searched here on PS and everyone talks about them but few talk about how to set them. Mine will be big -at least 20-30c I hope. I want to wear it as a pendant.

I adore the snow see my name :) so it was just so appropriate for moi. Sorry i cannot recall how to put in a picture here.

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/GemPics/5950SwssTpz.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG Yay someone is buying one! Hooray!

I would totally bezel it. Gorgeous.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I would do something like a filigree basket with claw prongs in white gold because it''s going to be so large. I would worry that a bezel might look bulky with such a large stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing eye popping stone.!!
30.gif
Congratulations. I am so in love with the recent snowflake topaz ring that was recently posted here. Perhaps that can give you some ideas.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Something white, lacy, airy...to suggest snowflakes lightness. Since it''ll be a pednant you can go with accent stones regardless of size (would be hard to do with a ring), so maybe some nicely cut white topazes or sapphires would be nice. Diamonds would be pricey, cause they''d need to be quite large to go alongside such a big stone.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!.... and Knox jewelers has the prettiest setting for that stone. Someone recently posted it with her white topaz! It was gorgeous. Let me see if I can find a pic......

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhh here you go!
30.gif

1361_3_image.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif

1361_7_image.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another one..... ON the website, it states that this will work for an octagon.
30.gif

1629_1_image.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 9:33:12 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
Here is another one..... ON the website, it states that this will work for an octagon.
30.gif
The only problem being...snowflake is a hexagon
2.gif

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 11:49:50 AM
Author: ma re

30.gif
2.gif
And the poster stated she''s hoping to wear it as a pendant - at 20-30 carats it would be a GINORMOUS ring and to get Knox to do one of those setting custom for that stone would be crazy expensive.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with a simple wire basket with a single small prong on each side.
That stone don't need a setting to set it off, it needs a setting to get out of the way of its awesomeness.

edit:
The other option I would consider is a wire basket with a prong on each point.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 4:14:58 PM
Author: strmrdr
I would go with a simple wire basket with a single small prong on each side.
That stone don''t need a setting to set it off, it needs a setting to get out of the way of its awesomeness.
LOL! So true!!!

Romeblue

Rough_Rock
Excellent ideas and thanks so much!!! It will indeed be a pendant that I will wear when going down the mountain on my rome blue snowboard!

Hey I also spoke with Richard about doing a showing in LA. I know I could at least 25 peeps to come from my own circle and maybe some pricescopers as well. He is considering it.

Also I want you all to know he gave me a discount because I am a pricescoper. His curent page is updated and if I was loaded that 54 c amethist would be MINE!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 8:21:43 PM
Author: Romeblue
His curent page is updated and if I was loaded that 54 c amethist would be MINE!!!
54ct?!?!?! don''t see it on the site.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!!! I didn''t know Knox jewelers had that setting in stock!! Be still my heart (it''s currently going at 200 bpm). I love the square with the round as well, another dream setting of mine.
30.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

30.gif
2.gif
I think Brian can modify it to fit a hexagon....
2.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 2:52:35 PM
Author: laurel25

30.gif
2.gif
And the poster stated she''s hoping to wear it as a pendant - at 20-30 carats it would be a GINORMOUS ring and to get Knox to do one of those setting custom for that stone would be crazy expensive.

....and I am sure he could make it into a pendant, but yes, a custom setting for a 20-30 carat would be quite expensive. Actually, for a stone that large and that shape, a custom setting may be the only option.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those snowflake cuts are just so COOL.

Romeblue

Rough_Rock
Oh my god! The snowflake came today and after performing CPR on myself twice I was able to recover enough to tell you all that is is amazingly beautiful.

I need to go get ready for a Christmas party but will update you on what I am doing with the 29 c / 17 mm satin snowflake .

Please be patient as I am doing a ski trip right after Xmas. :)))

So pretty seriously!!! So worth it.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
looking forward to pics!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2008 3:26:38 PM
Oh my god! The snowflake came today and after performing CPR on myself twice I was able to recover enough to tell you all that is is amazingly beautiful.

I need to go get ready for a Christmas party but will update you on what I am doing with the 29 c / 17 mm satin snowflake .

I guess that means you liked it! Ha!!

We need pictures!!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Hurry back!!! But enjoy your party! LOL

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That is such a cool stone - can''t wait to see it all set!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2008 4:35:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 12/24/2008 3:26:38 PM

I guess that means you liked it! Ha!!

We need pictures!!
LOL! Glad you like it! Can''t wait to see pics!

Romeblue

Rough_Rock
Here is the setting.- I decided upon for my 30 c light blue Homer snowflake. It will be done in white gold and sit in a six sided filagree basket with a partial snow flake design on each side of the basket.

The bail was my idea-I did not want rabbit ears and I wanted something that resembled the path a snowflake takes from the sky as well as the lines I make in the snow with my snowboard-a soft "S". I described it to Ocean on the phone and she came up with the drawing and I knew that was it.

The filagree was all Ocean's idea and I jumped on that! The stone should be set in two weeks. It took the redeye from Cali to Tucson tonight.

I knew I wanted to use Ocean when I saw her work on here. She did someones pink tourmaline-Also from Richard Homer and the side filagree was so lovely I had to call her.

So far she has been a pleasure to work with. I can't wait to see my snowflake in it's new home!!!!

Single_S_Curve_bale.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! Please share pictures of it when you get it! Brian the Cutter has new images on his blog about meeting Richard for the first time and showing some of Richard''s yummy stones. Lucky you to have such a nice one to call your own! Enjoy!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
wow! That will look great. I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results