shape
carat
color
clarity

Richard Home Recut My Orange Spessartite!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2005 4:23:48 PM
Author: MINE!!

Date: 7/3/2005 2:30:29 PM
Author: Matatora

Date: 6/30/2005 10:31:25 AM

Author: yingh

Tada! The after picture. Isn''t he good! Now the water boiled, but I can''t get to the pot yet! I am counting the days. There is this long weekend ahead of us.
32.gif
I dont understand how can the mesurements be the same after he re-cut it....the weight went don why didnt the numbers change?
33.gif

Mataora.. check out this link about cflutist yummy sapphire.. it helps explain a little.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-amazing-sapphire-recut-by-richard-homer.19311/
But with c-flutist one of them did change...I still dont get it, how is it that you lose that much wieght and none of the mesurements change?

saturn

Shiny_Rock
Matatora,
The best explanation I''ve seen is in these concave recut pictures. I think the side view explains a lot.
http://www.winkjones.com/colored/recut.php
Basically, all of the weight comes off of the back of the stone. The depth is reduced and the back becomes more "pointy."
(Sorry, that''s the best I can describe it- I don''t know all the proper lingo
33.gif
)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
See that is what I had thought too, but since there was not change in depth I was confused...perhaps it was just a typo.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2005 9:27:11 AM
Author: Matatora
See that is what I had thought too, but since there was not change in depth I was confused...perhaps it was just a typo.
Maybe, but it doesn''t have to be.

Sorry for the overly KISS view below... I don''t liek to see my work trivilized like that, and surely the cuters around here dislike that too. I just couldn''t do any better in 30 seconds flat.

Even with as much as I know, there is allot more to the story, after all prices are not strictly set by weight - size and random stuff independent of what the stone is and looks like also count so the isue is not quite as clear cut.

34.gif
On the aside, something similar happens with some fancy diamond shapes that allow a heavy pavilion with not that much total depth. I don''t hear this too often, despite the constant chatter about size, spread, weight and such. Thought I''d mention...

triviaC.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I wasnt talking about prices but I didnt get what you had said before. Sometimes it just helps to see it. Thanks.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Ana,

You continue to amaze me. When do you sleep?
1.gif

Ana got it right. The pavilion of the gem is recut, without reducing the girdle. Gems that are slightly heavy on the belly are most suitable for this.

And Richard Homer''s work also amazes. Bravo!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2005 9:39:03 PM
Author: Richard Hughes
Ana,
You continue to amaze me. When do you sleep?
1.gif

She is, truly, amazing! So is Giangi, another European amateur gemologist!!!

Deb

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wow it looks so amazing and full of fire!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results