shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodolite garnet question

Anita38

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I was gifted for my birthday a LeVian ring with a rhodolite garnet. Although the rhodolite garnet is beautiful indoors, it blacks out when under direct sunlight outdoors. Does any of you know why this happens and whether it is a sign of a poor quality stone?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, direct sunlight overwhelms many stones. To much of a good thing, though some look great in direct sunlight. But a stone should not be judged because it blacks out in direct sunlight, and after all, you will be seeing a stone set in jewelry much more indoors with indoor lighting or indoor lighting mixed with indirect sunlight through windows.

Gene's answer is spot on.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is the reason why -its all about the efficiency of the light return.

Anita38

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your answers

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
You have had great answers from the experts.

Here's a demo with a malaia, which is basically just a lighter-toned rhodolite:
MalaiaDemoA.jpg
(The pictures were shot raw and adjusted separately for white balance and to match brightness of the reference at right, but were otherwise processed the same. Some of the direct reflections are clipped.)

In direct sun the stone shows bright flashes and high contrast, so looks dark. In softer light, both indoors and out, reflections are more evenly spread over the stone, so the stone looks brighter.

There's another issue: most reddish garnets are shifty - lighter and redder in 'redder' light, darker and more purple in 'bluer' light. I can see this in my stone, but it doesn't photograph.

FWIW, I've often been tempted by rhodolites in shops. They look great in 'sparkly' jewellery shop lighting. The bright coloured flashes against the darkish background are fascinating. But they are usually too dark in most other lighting. That's why I bought a malaia.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results