shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Redux!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have done a search and can''t find the answer to my questions. I have an 18K white gold ring and understand about white gold and the need for occasional rhodium plating... but...
confused.gif

My questions are these...

How exactly is rhodium plating done? How long does it take? Is it a DIP? Or what?!

Does it require a great level of skill on the part of the person doing the plating to get good results?

Thanks so much for your answers!
1.gif

Lynn

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Lynn,

I don't know all the answers about the specifics, but I believe it is a dip. Some people do it in-house, and some send it out. I recently had a white gold ring "re-dipped" and it looks great. It really made it shine again. I also experimented and had a yellow gold omega chain necklace dipped. It looks ok and will do for now, but I will probably change the chain one of these days. There is still a slight yellow tinge, and the jeweler told me it will chip off over time. But... it's a necklace I only wear occasionally, and I don't really bump my neck into things, so I thought I'd try it. (Replacement quotes for a white gold chain are almost as much as what we originally paid for the whole piece, including the 20+ diamonds in the center!
eek.gif
)

The part I don't know is if it is a dipping process, how does it not get on the stones? maybe someone can fill us in?

edited to add: I don't know the skill required, but I had to have them do the necklace twice. The first time there were spots of gold showing through. I had no trouble with the white gold ring tho.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Rhodium plating is done with electroplating. This involves putting the item into a solution or 'bath' that has the rhodium particles, sending a positive current into the solution to charge the particles, which then attach themselves to the metal in the ring, which is negatively charged. The rhodium will not adhere to gemstones, because they do not conduct the energy needed to attract and attach to the rhodium.

The solution that is used is rather harsh, which is why it is not reccomended for opals and lapis and other softer gems.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhodium plating is done in an acid bath with free Rhodium molecules in suspension. A light eletrical current brings the rhodium to the metal needing the plating.

It takes a degree of skill in handling a dangerous liquid and fumes along with electricity. If there are yellow areas that one does not wish to plate, they must be masked off to prevent plating. The item must be very clean or the solution will be contaminated. The solution is costly, too.
The solution can be cleaned and maintained by an experienced plater, but a novice rapidly degrades the solution.

So, while it is basic science, it isn't "easy". To see an expert doing it does make it look easy.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Oldminer and Jenwill. Even tho I didn't post the question, I've always wondered how the process was done.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Yes, thank you very much for the info. I always wondered about that!
1.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results