shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon lover

Rough_Rock
My jeweler put rodium plating over my platinum setting. Is that standard procedure? It certainly looks pretty.

He also says the ring will have to be re-plated in six months and that the diamonds will stay in the setting. Will the plating process hurt the stones?

Thanks everyone!

wavey.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I've never understood the desire to put rhodium plating over platinum. It's shinier, I suppose, but IMO it's like covering a fine silk dress with rhinestones.

PunkyB

Rough_Rock
How would a person know if his/her platinum setting is rhodium plated? Is there an obvious visual difference?

Punky

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I'm having my diamond mounted at Somos Creations in white gold, and they told me they would recommend plating the platinum head for the stone so that it matches the band. They said you'd notice the difference if I didn't do the plating. Sure, they said I'd have to replate sometime down the road, but in more like 5-6 years - definately not 6 months.

Clementine.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If platinum is polished properly to a high finish, it does not need plating and none of my wifes or my platinum rings are plated. We just keep them clean.
White gold jewelry is often rhodium plated. White gold rings with platinum prongs are plated also, not just the prongs but the whole thing and the reason is the platinum is white and stays that way. The white gold tends to get a little yellow as time passes.
Rhodium plating does not hurt diamonds and many of the durable colored stones.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Platinum jewelry comes in 3 basic finishes. Brushed where you see brush lines. Smooth, grayish looking white. And, high polish, gleaming white. I have platinum jewelry in all 3 finishes and love each one. No platinum jewelry needs rhodium plating to continue looking good. Just cleaning and proper care. Maybe in the case of a platinum head on a white gold band, you might want to rhodium plate to keep the 2 metals looking the same.

White gold is yellow gold alloyed with other metals to look white. Over time, white gold rings especially, tend to look yellowish in appearance. Rhodium plating is needed to keep the white gold looking bright and white. The plating is done with the diamonds/gemstones set and does not hurt them in any way.

If your platinum set is a high polish, shiny finish, you probably won't know when the rhodium wears off. If the platinum is not high polish, you'll see it. The metal of your ring, or mounting head if mixed metal ring, will begin to look grayish as opposed to gleaming white.

Like Clementine said, rhodium plate will last longer than 6 months. How long depends on wear and care. Where I live, Kansas City, it costs $30 to $35 dollars for rhodium plating. While you definitely want to get your stone and set checked regularly, it sounds more to me like your jeweler is trying to schedule extra income on a regular basis.
2.gif

dannigirl55

Rough_Rock
I have a question regarding the wear and tear of Rodium Plating. I have heard and read that I will eventually have to have the ring treated again say, 6-10 years from now but what I am wondering is, what exactly happens to the ring over time. Does it chip or does it wear down? Will it begin to looke like a cheap ring that the plating is wearing off?
My jeweler recommended Rodium for my white gold engagement ring and I fear that I will regret having it done. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the process so that I can make an informed decision.
Thanks you.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The rhodium plating eventually just wears off. How long it lasts depends on wear and use. Maybe a year or 2. Maybe longer. I have a girlfriend who has her 18K WG ring redone once a year. As the plating wears off, the WG starts to take on a yellowish tinge. The more the rhodium wears off the slightly yellower the WG becomes.

Here's a link to a recent thread on how rhodium plating is done:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhodium-redux.17576/
1.gif

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Something that causes a lot of wear on rhodium is wearing two rings together. The rubbing of the rings causes the rhodium to wear away fairly quickly. This is only on the sides where the rings are together, though, so it probably wouldn't be noticable.
1.gif

DragonX444

Rough_Rock
Its not a standard, but he knows his job very well i supose. He knows whats good for you but he didnt explain to you why. Rodium is a very hard metal. Also it 5 times more expensive then platinum. This process is going to increes the life of your setting

NicDug

Rough_Rock
I have a yellow gold wedding band with a few baguettes in it. Near the diamonds is white gold and it is turning grey/black. The jeweler said I needed another coat of rodium. He said I will also need the white gold repaired. Is this normal? I feel like since it is turning black instead of a yellowish tint that it is not even real gold and that they are not being honest with me. I''ve had the ring for under 2 years and my engagement ring is not turning at all (different jeweler).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2004 8:11:26 PM
Author: dannigirl55
I have a question regarding the wear and tear of Rodium Plating. I have heard and read that I will eventually have to have the ring treated again say, 6-10 years from now but what I am wondering is, what exactly happens to the ring over time. Does it chip or does it wear down? Will it begin to looke like a cheap ring that the plating is wearing off?

My jeweler recommended Rodium for my white gold engagement ring and I fear that I will regret having it done. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the process so that I can make an informed decision.

Thanks you.

My experience with white gold and rhodium was not good and I certainly wish I couldve gotten by with 6-10 years. I guess if its DONE well it might last that long but I needed mine done every 2 weeks. It was a waste of time and money.

I have never heard of plating platinum though, I can''t see why that would be useful at all. It''s already white.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I rhodium all platinum and white gold because it is whiter than any pure platinum or platinum alloy.
Rarely do people prefer the natural platinum color when given the choice - only a few super educated people.
Rhodium wears off the back of a band inside 6 months and lasts around the setting sides sometimes for years. The process is such that the difference between good and bad plating has more to do with color and consistency - better plating does not last longer.

blake

Rough_Rock
We just got a matching pair of 999.5 platinum wedding bands. The edges are shiny with the middle dull smooth grayish colour. We like the look and hope they stay that way. I don''t think there is any plating on them. I''ll ask the jewellers next time we are at the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results