shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating Process (EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE)-CONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/rhodium-plating-process-experts-only-please-t40433.html

This is hopefully a continued question of the above thread....
I am seriously considering buying a solitair pre-set pendant from a relatively new vendor on this site. The deal is AWSOME but I would prefer white gold look since I have a nice platinum chain. This nice vendor proposed rhodium plating to make it white. I read many past postings, and some said it fade out in 2 months, some said in 1 year, and some say in 2 years..... Given that it is a pendant on a platinum chain, please help me estimate how often I will need to re-plate it or having quality issue with it? THANK YOU ALL!!!!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert, but I''ll chime in anyway. It depends on your body chemistry and how you plan to wear it (once in a while, 24/7, etc.)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert...but is it a problem to use a platinum chain on a WG pendant? Will the platinum chain rub away the pendant''s metal?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Well, that worries me... the pendant is not heavy, will that still wear rhodium off? I plan on wearing it everyday, but prob will take it off during shower and sleep. Any additional thoughts????

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else has opinions? I think EVERYONE here is expert, some jewler expert some wearer expert. I want ALL of your opinions!!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
You''re right, if you search PS, you will find all different answers. It really depends on your body chemistry and wear and tear. I know a lot of the experience here on PS has been with rings, and I remember one even looking spotted
3.gif
. But a necklace should be different, my concern would be whether the platinum chain would rub the plating off. But even if it did, I would bet it would be minimal. And if your body chemistry affects the plating, hopefully it would just affect the underside. But it''s all a guess unfortunately until you know how your body reacts with rhodium plating.

Personally, I would just spend a little more $$$ and buy a white gold pendant with a white gold chain (or at the very least, just take my chances with a white gold pendant and your platinum chain).
1.gif

Good luck!!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi ZhuZhu. I''m a little confused. Is it a yellow gold pendant that you are trying to make white? If so, why not just get a white gold one?

My understanding of Rhodium is that it helps white gold or platinum appear super shiney. 18K white gold can discolor over time - turn slightly yellow, or slightly reddish brown, so the rhodium helps the appearance. It helps platinum that may look dulled because of the natural patina too.

There is also black rhodium which is sometimes used in pave when the designer wants dark prongs.

The reason the rhodium might take time is not every jeweler is equipped to do the work and the piece may need to be sent out.

Rhodium is extremely expensive - around $5K per ounce! Almost 10x the price of gold.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
The only part of the pendant that the plating may wear off abit,you can`t really see anyway.
Pendants don`t get as much wear as rings for example so the plating should be good for a long time (not sure about perfumes affecting/chemical reaction stuff).
Anyway,to re-plate will only cost a few dollars so no worry there.
I think rhodium just makes things look like chrome.
Why not just have plain white gold polished and if you want to later have it plated no problem. Rhodium is very expensive metal,but you only need a microscopic amount so i would say less than $20 job.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not a problem - rings wear 100 times more than pendants ZZ

No reason why you would ever need to replate it in 1 lifetime.

There may be a little yellow showing on the linkage connection after a year - but only visible with very close inspection - anyone who gets that close is a lover or plain rude.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results