shape
carat
color
clarity

Retail Store vs. Internet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
My questions is this: Should I buy from the internet or from a retail store such as Jareds?

I have researched the internet and have found much much lower prices than a retail store. Additionally, no sales tax is charged. The advantage with going with the internet is definitely a higher quality diamond for a lower price.

However, when I got to a retail store such as Jared, Kay's, Shaw's, Gordon's, etc. they always push the fact that they have a lifetime warranty and stand behind all of their diamonds. Meaning that as long as you bring the diamond in every 6 months for a cleaning and inspection they will replace the diamond if it chips, scratches, etc. As a sales tool, that is very comforting to the buyer. No website offers this type of warranty. Thus I would be paying more for a diamond at a retail store but whould have the peace of mind of having a warranty if anything should happen.

Additionally, I have a question about Jareds in particular. The salesperson told me that they do not run sales and do not barter the price one penny. Is that true? Is Jareds the Saturn of the diamond industry? If so, are there prices competetive?

Thanks in advance!
Patrick

novice1817

Rough_Rock
My questions is this: Should I buy from the internet or from a retail store such as Jareds?

I have researched the internet and have found much much lower prices than a retail store. Additionally, no sales tax is charged. The advantage with going with the internet is definitely a higher quality diamond for a lower price.

>I just bought a diamond from www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com and feel after going through them the internet is the way to go. I got a FABULOUS diamond and a VERY good price. I probably like yourself felt very hesitant in making such an expensive purchase over the internet. However, after doing a lot of research to a mind numbing extent I found that dirtcheapdiamonds had a lot of good recommendations for online users and now you can add me to that list. The clincher for me in making this purchase was the fact that dirtcheapdiamonds.com made it possible for me to see the diamond before I actually purchased it. They had it sent to a local appraiser and after seeing it for 5 seconds I knew this was it. The quality they had was better and cheaper than at any retail store I've been too. Also the service/price was better than at other online places I was searching. Again check them out before you do anything.
>

However, when I got to a retail store such as Jared, Kay's, Shaw's, Gordon's, etc. they always push the fact that they have a lifetime warranty and stand behind all of their diamonds. Meaning that as long as you bring the diamond in every 6 months for a cleaning and inspection they will replace the diamond if it chips, scratches, etc. As a sales tool, that is very comforting to the buyer. No website offers this type of warranty. Thus I would be paying more for a diamond at a retail store but whould have the peace of mind of having a warranty if anything should happen.

Additionally, I have a question about Jareds in particular. The salesperson told me that they do not run sales and do not barter the price one penny. Is that true? Is Jareds the Saturn of the diamond industry? If so, are there prices competetive?

Thanks in advance!
Patrick
----------------

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any answers and comments regarding the specific questions I have asked. Also, please do not insult my intelligence by trying to pretend to answer my question but are just really advertising your website.

Patrick

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

I already know the prices on the internet are much cheaper; please re-read my post. Does anyone out there have specific answers to the specific questions I raised? I do not care what website is the cheapest, etc. and cannot stand the fact that my first post to this forum has already resulted in two phoney responses trying to sway me to buy from a particular website.

Patrick

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
I was going to buy a stone online, then get it mounted in some store like Jared's. It's my understanding that they will still do the cleaning and sizing in some circumstances when you do this. As for the 'warranty' that they offer, just get your ring insured. I would have it insured regardless of the warranty that the store offers. IMO, the cost and quality of going to the 'net to get a stone offsets the slight issues you bring up. Happy hunting
:sun:

novice1817

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/28/2002 2:59:18 PM

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any answers and comments regarding the specific questions I have asked. Also, please do not insult my intelligence by trying to pretend to answer my question but are just really advertising your website.

Patrick

Patrick sorry if you thought my post was an advertisement or plug from teh owner of that site. Let me state I have nothing to do with the store besides being a very satisfied customer. I just got my diamond today and I'm thrilled with my purchase and wanted to share my experience with others on this forum. I'd been reading this forum alot and got a lot of good information here so I want to share some information I've obtained. Your question about lifetime warranty seems to be irrelevant if you get a good stone that doesn't have to thin of a girdle. I went to Kays and some of the other chains and they mentioned this stuff to me also. However when I asked other retailers at high end jewelry stores such as Tiffany's they laughed at teh notion of a diamond getting damaged unless teh girdle was to thin and then they said they wouldn't recommend even buying that stone. I also didn't like the sales staff at the retail stores because most of them wouldn't do a sarin report for me on the diamonds with GIA certs.

biscuit

Rough_Rock
poleary...

For more specific answers...

You can always buy insurance if you want it...depending on the rock, it won't be that expensive. That way, chips, or diamond loss wil be covered. Some online dealers, like Good Old Gold or Diamond Brokers of Florida, will give you a 100% lifetime upgrade policy. Meaning if your fiance experiences the often mentioned "shrinking diamond syndrome", you can get the full value of your original pruchase toward an upgrade.

As far as Jared's, I'm not sure, but there are MANY dealers and retailers that won't budge. BUT, that's not really a good thing considering their prices aren't competitive. What I find comforting is that *almost all* online dealers will match a competitor's price. The reason a place like Jared's wouldn't budge is because they'll get intelligent customers coming in with internet prices asking them to match them. And Jared's wouldn't stay in business very long if they were willing to match. They will continue to make their money off of uneducated customers and customers who value *very highly* the ability to talk to a person face to face. By very highly, I mean willing to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for the ability to do that.

As for the "advertisement" thing, the only way internet dealer's establish a reputation is by word of mouth and customer tutorials (sure, check out the BBB's, but ulitmately this is a version of testimony). So if Novice and I seem to bee a little too zealous about the places we got our rocks, it's probably in an effort to help you feel comfortable with your purchase on the net, and to let you know that there are reputable dealers out here with satisfied customers. I'm so pleased with the rock I got at the price I got it for that the least I can do is help out.

Happy hunting!! Knowledge is power!!:praise:

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

My problem is Kay's, Jared's, etc. tell me that if it chips, scratches they will replace the stone; no questions asked. Under personal insurance, would they do the same thing?

However, if I buy a quality stone, do I need to even worry about this? From the responses I have received so far, it seems I shouldn't. Is that correct?

The last response also brings up another question, what is better: a none, thin, medium, thick girdle?

Thanks for the replies!
Patrick

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Sorry for being to harsh Biscuit!

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
I don't think anyone is trying to sway you to buy from a particular internet store, they have just given you an idea of the experience they had, I also belive they answered your question: "Should I buy from the internet or a retail store?" They are telling you from the experience they had the net is the way to go. If you weigh as you said "a higher quality diamond at a lower price" vs. "they have a liftime warranty" I think you have your answer. Why would you pay more for lower quality just because they have a liftime warrany?? If you want peace of mind buy insurance!!

novice1817

Rough_Rock
I would stay away from very thin girdles. Everything from thin and above seem to be very safe from chipping from all sources I've read. The stone i got has a medium girdle.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
poleary;

I too am trying to decide between buying on the internet and buying at a local jeweler. Also if I buy on the internet do I have them set the stone, or have a local jeweler set it for me.

You really can get a lot of personal attention from a local store, eventhough you pay a premium for that service. Some of which will be cleanings (although any jewelery store will clean you rings for free whether you bought them there or not), sizings, repairs, ect. Also you build a relationship with the local so you know you can trust them.

As noted an internet jeweler will get you a better price but for a loss of that personal relationship, trust and service of the local. Which is better? Depends on how much of a price difference.

If a local can get a close price on the same diamond (which they can normally get the exact same diamond as the internet jewelers) then it may be worth it. If it is tremendously high then I don't know.

As far as the warranty goes, insurance will cover the diamond (once set and appraised) from breakage. Thus this warranty isn't really necessary. Plus try to keep the girdle size from thin to medium or medium to thick. Try to avoid the verys and extremelys (very thin, ext. thin). Remember that even a medium girdle can chip, it is just less likely. Also try not to have feathers near the edge of the girdle as these may cause a stree point.

Right now I am seeing what price a local can give me on a diamond on found on the internet. If it is too high, I will probably buy internet and set local.

Hope this helps some

biscuit

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

Poleary -
don't worry!! No offense taken! I think you're wise to take everything on this message board with a grain of salt. There are definitely some dealers posting as "the buying public."

Rook -
I did exactly what you're talking about, and I got the best of both worlds. I found an online dealer who I felt very comfortable with and who I felt gave me great e-service. Then I had my rock set locally, so that I will get cleanings and service for free. And I had a local face to tell me what an insanely good deal I got. :) Best of both worlds!

Happy shopping!~:praise:

Rook

Shiny_Rock
One other thing to consider about a local is picking the ring setting. I went to a local with my GF and the local helped look through some different ring settings that would complement both the diamond and the girls hand. This was a big help because the ring I was thinking about, and the one suggested to me online would have been to bulky for my GF's small hands.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have been in several Jared stores. They do not price as well as you may think. I would however say to buy from a brick and mortar store. You just need to find one that is competitively priced with the net (probably an independent jeweler). Paying a couple hundred more is not a bad thing when you consider all the pros like:

Viewing many diamonds and comparing without putting up any money. Compare different cut grades and shapes if you like.

Service. Buy local and you have a store front to walk in and bitch should you need to.

Quick repairs like tightening the diamond can be done in minutes, and a local store will handle this and more if you’re their customer. It may even be at no charge which it wouldn't be if purchased over the net.

Shop many settings in person and lay your diamond in the settings to see the look. (Many will not set a diamond bought elsewhere, or at your risk of damage)

The list can go on, all the net has is price over a store front but many stores will compete nicely if you’re honest with them and allow them to make a reasonable profit without complaining over a few bucks here or there.

Any diamond can chip or be broken. Insurance has several options.

1. They may replace your diamond with a equal stone.
2. They can just cash out.
3. They can have your diamond repolished and pay for the repair and loss in value.
4. They can deny the claim over some small issue in their policy.
5. They are not responsible when it is being repaired and jewelers insurance doesn't cover it as well. The jeweler should make good on it, but some wouldn't I'm sure.

dannanews

Rough_Rock
I am going through the same issues, but I've pretty much made up my mind. I live in a major city so that surely helped in my case. I've decided to go with a local store although exactly which one I'm not sure yet. It will NOT be a mall store. Here are my reasons for going with a local store. The prices that I've found are within 10% of what I've found on the internet and their service is worth that to me. I have gotten to look at many diamonds (20 ) to help me figure out what I really want in a diamond. I've gone from a SI1 to a VS2 because I can see many of the inclusions in a SI2 and I don't want that. I have also gone from J/I color to F/G because I have compared them next to each other and with a platium ring, (I like the look better). Finally, I want her to help me with the type of ring she likes. Here is my plan, I plan to have it set in white gold (~$200), then pop the question, the we'll spend a day and go in and shop for her "ideal" ring to go with my "ideal" stone. Its kind of a bonus I've came up with after I decided to shop locally. I also like the idea of having a place I can take it back to if something goes wrong. I must say that I am lucky to live in a big city. There are a lot of jewerly stores around and hence competition. If I lived somewhere else and couldn't get to a big city to spend a few days shopping then I would probably buy on the internet.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I found a "mall store" that had good prices and service and they pulled out the Rap sheet and quoted 8% lower.

BUT (and you may be missing this part) the cuts and polish of their rings was still worse than the rings on the net for the same price. So when you say that the local store is just 10% more than the net, make sure you are also considering cut/polish/sym and not just color/clarity.

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I will start checking into local independent jewelers that shop for internet prices. Thanks for all the advice and sorry for falsely reading the original e-mails. I'll let you know how it goes.

Patrick

messengeroffacts

Rough_Rock
Patrick, you are one smart cookie for realizing these so called forums are a playground for diamond website employees. They use it to bring potential clients to their website. Most people are not so savy. Congratulations.
appl.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
deleted - too old of a thread that someone dug up, sorry

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/14/2004 6:20:45 PM messengeroffacts wrote:

Patrick, you are one smart cookie for realizing these so called forums are a playground for diamond website employees. They use it to bring potential clients to their website. Most people are not so savy. Congratulations.
appl.gif
----------------

OH yes, you are so wise with your one single post to dredge up a thread completely irrelavant from well over 1 1/2 years ago.

So wise. This is precisely why dinosaurs became extinct.

Yes, we should all buy our diamonds at Jareds. This should embarrass the *true* B&M's.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
F&I, please be gentle with endangered species.
1.gif
There is still a hope some of them will learn in order to survive.
read.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/14/2004 6:20:45 PM messengeroffacts wrote:

Patrick, you are one smart cookie .....Most people are not so savy.
----------------
*sigh* ...I only wish the same could be said for you. This thread was 2 years old, Patrick is long gone from the forum...oh and I think it's ironic to note that he bought from GoodOldGold..using their online and offline tools.
9.gif
He was definitely savvy. That's 'savvy' with TWO v's.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Yes, going through the process with one of the PS friendly vendors really made a convert out of poleary2000 as can be seen in this thread.

Dontcha just love hapy endings!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Andr3wpd, Pricescope recently became a very hot topic on some of the trade sites. I'm afraid what you see in the last few day is that many B&M jewelers come here (only few openly) and express themselves.

Despite our words that we respect good and knowledgeable B&M jewelers and ask them to join open and constructive discussion, they hear only what they want to hear: this place is anti-jeweler, etc.

They obviously have problems with the internet but instead of listening and learning they prefer destruction and denial, which makes the situation worse and doesn't win them any sympathies.
sick.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/15/2004 8:32:54 AM leonid wrote:

I'm afraid what you see in the last few day is that many B&M jewelers come here (only few openly) and express themselves.

-

As a business women, I just can not fathom *wasting* precious time contributing to a forum in a negative way. One can not help but think that their *customer service*, the very strength of a B&M, suffers.

I don't think it's gotten into their pre-historic heads that it's counter productive & ultimately looks like they went off the deep end.

limey

Shiny_Rock
My entire professional career has been assisting major corporations change business models to adapt to the new world. I built the first gen sites for all the major autos and suppliers in the mid 90's. I spent 5 years with one of the worlds largest commercial printers (bills, statements, direct mail) helping them create solutions for their customers (financial institutions, auto companies) to help in turn adapt them to the new world. Today is tax day (if you read that and say OH YEAH! then stop reading and do you taxes!), like I said today is tax day and look at the sweeping changes that have occured in the personal finance industry with online banking, bill presentment, e-filing. I am a 33 year old dot-com veteran that went through the boom and the bust and I have never walked into a brokerage office. If you think that alot of personal business is transacted online, well that is nothing compared to B2B (business-to-business). In the start-up I helped cofound we are building a web-based inventory management and replenishment solution that "frictionlessly" connects industrial suppliers to their customers - barcode scans transmit thru a portal to the suppliers. Alot of these suppliers are very small tier-2 or tier-3 companies with barely any computer literate employees, and alot of our end-users do not have PC's on the shop floor - but thanks to the simplicity of a barcode scan and the low cost of entry of simply needing an AOL account businesses can take plae in the new environment.
If they can do it any one can!

To get back on topic I initially looked into Hearts-on-Fire diamonds and worked with a few B&M's since you can only buy thru traditional channels. A few B&M's could get online and peruse the selection thru a private Extranet and bring ones that fit into the store to preview. With a few clicks they could search the entire HOF inventory. How efficient, yet these same B&M's still did not get it when I told them I was considering an Internet stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results