shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing ring or wait?

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
My partner and I bought my engagement ring in November/December last year, at the time I went to a jeweller for sizing and was told I could wear a 5 or 5 1/4, so I decided on the 5 as the sizing ring was quite large whereas my ring (a tapered Tiffany from BGD) is quite thin. Well 5 months later and 25 weeks pregnant, I've swollen/gained some weight and I just tried my ring on and it doesn't fit anymore. I can get it on, but it's tight and not comfortable. We are going on holidays in two weeks and that's when the proposal will be happening, so I'm kind of depressed that I won't be able to wear it! If you were me, would you suck it up and wait till post baby to be able to wear it, or get it resized? I don't want to damage the integrity of the ring for short term purposes, but is the damage really rather minimal and nothing to be concerned about?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Call BGD. They're a pretty cooperative company. That said, be aware that it's likely your fingers will shrink again after you have your baby (congratulations in advance by the way). That means another sizing in a few months.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe wear your ring as a pendant on a chain until the baby is born. Your fingers will probably got back to normal size afterwards,
Congratulations and best wishes on your engagement and new baby!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil is exactly right about your finger size changing again after the baby arrives and you return to your normal size. In fact, your fingers may continue to change until baby arrives. My fingers went up 2 1/2 sizes during my pregnancies. I actually went and bought myself a cheapie ring to wear for the last trimester. It was fun, because I went with something different than my rings. Maybe you could consider that, rather than guess how your fingers are going to change and change again?

Congrats on the baby and coming engagement!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two cents here. If your fingers swelled now with 15 weeks still left to your pregnancy, then I think it's a good bet that your fingers will swell if you have subsequent children (just guessing here). I'm speculating that it might (just might) make sense to get your ring sized to 5.25-5.5 and add a sizing ball. You'll have much more flexibility if your fingers swell in summer or during another pregnancy. Mine swelled, but only during the last month of each of my 4 pregnancies - I could get them on and they'd be comfortable,but I couldn't get them off easily. I just left them on, bc (for no other reason than superstition), I wanted to wear them for each kid's delivery.
Best of luck. Congratulations on your pregnancy and engagement - happy times!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait. Some ladies have their ring size change permanently after pregnancy. Mine shrunk back down after baby #1, but it was still bigger than pre-pregnancy. I went from a 5.5 to a 6.5. Now after 4 kids, I am a 7 and it looks like thats where I'm staying.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Definitely wait. I re-sized my first engagement ring up and down a few times in the first 6 months because I was too impatient to wait and see how it would be in different weather... it was never the same afterwards and did weaken it. Probably BGD would do a more professional job but IMO it's always best to aim for a single re-size rather than multiple if you can.

Wearing it on a chain is a great idea.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely wait! I wore a 5.5 before I was pregnant, but now I wear closer to a 5! CRAAAAZYYYY! :bigsmile:

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
I would wait! You never know what your body is going to do.

My fingers continued to swell throughout my pregnancy. I went from a size 6 pre-pregnancy, to a 9 in the 3rd trimester, and eventually outgrew the 9 too but I just gave up at that point lol (I had been buying cheapie $20 goldfill bands from etsy in progressively larger sizes). And that was only having gained 38lbs through the pregnancy. Now my daughter is 17 months old, I'm down to my pre-pregnancy weight, but my ring size is a full size larger at a size 7 (big knuckles).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I'd wait if the ring has pave on the shank. If it's just a solitaire, maybe not. I get your disappointment. Engagement is once in a lifetime and a big part of that (right or wrong) is wearing the ring. Are you going to be married BEFORE the baby comes? If so, I would probably size it. If not, I would try to be patient and wait till the baby comes and then see wear your ring size is at afterward.

Shelley9

Rough_Rock
Why dont you get a duplicate cz ring to wear in the bigger size and wear your real one on a chain. Your fingers will likely take a good 6mths or so to change, and its a shame to keep changing the size of the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results