shape
carat
color
clarity

resizing Costco diamond ring

RSSF

Rough_Rock
hi
I bought a nice diamond ring from my local Costco store.
0.6 Ct round center. 0.96 ct all total. Platinum, vs2 and I color. Price $3000, The ring came with certification.
however the size is 7 and costco doesn't provide the resizing service.
I want to take it to one of the known jewelry stores at the mall to resize it 1 or 1.5 size up
It's a platinum ring and will cost something about $200
The problem is that the jewelry store like zales or Kay told me they cannot give me a certification after resizing the ring it will cost me more money rather than the resizing cost to give me a signed certification.
On the one hand I don't want to spend more money on the ring. On the other hand I don't know if I can trust the jeweler, what if they replace the diamond with lower quality?
What if the diamonds became loose after the resizing, Who should take the responsibility?
Please advice

thanks much!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Where are you located? We might have suggestions for jewelers in your area. My jeweler charged me $75 to resize a platinum band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A) DO YOU REALIZE YOU CANNOT RETURN IT IF YOU SIZE IT? It might be best to propose FIRST with it, make sure she loves it, then size it.

B) You ONLY want to get your ring sized by an in house bench. That means at a place that does ALL their repair work on site. And doesn't send it out.

C) Where are you, we might be able to find a good jeweler for you to work with.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of the ring? It sounds like you've got .36 ct in melee. Where on the ring that melee is and how it's set could affect the difficulty and advisability of sizing the ring up.

ETA I'm not sure why you'd want a new certificate?

RSSF

Rough_Rock
we live in San Francisco south bay in California.

_410.png

RSSF

Rough_Rock
we live in San Francisco south bay in California.
any recommended jewelry store in San Jose/Santa Clara/Cupertino/Los Gatos/Los altos or any in the area would help.
will they be able to certify the diamond after resizing w/o any charge?

_411.png

RSSF

Rough_Rock
I would like a new cerification just to make sure that my diamonds were not switched or something..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RSSF|1408257968|3734108 said:
I would like a new cerification just to make sure that my diamonds were not switched or something..

You don't have a certification now, most likely. You have a lab report. The only way for you to get another lab report is to send the diamond back to the lab. A jeweler cannot provide you with a lab report on site. And frankly you don't need one.

What you have is a whole lot of lack of knowledge.

The truth? A reputable jeweler isn't going to risk his business reputation for your 3k ring. Yeck, they wouldn't do it for a 13k ring. Diamond switching is extremely rare.

Asking a jeweler, the one you think might switch your diamond, for a certification makes no sense. So I'm not surprised they told you they couldn't do it.

What you DO need is an appraisal.

Here's what you do? Ready?
* You tell me where you are so I can find a good appraiser for you.
* Call and make an appointment with the appraiser and take your ring in. They will inspect it while you watch. And they will note characteristics of it. You need to learn what those characteristics are yourself as well.
*Then you take the ring to the jeweler. You need to go to a jeweler AGAIN, with an in house bench. And have them size it.
*Then you take the ring back to the appraiser, and they will tell you the stone is the same one. And if you ask them to they will show you how to do for yourself. It's very easy.

Okay?

So .. .AGAIN. Where are you located?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. I'm in the bay area too.

What part of the bay area? The city, Pennisula, east bay, or south bay?

RSSF

Rough_Rock
san francisco south bay area

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RSSF|1408260785|3734119 said:

OK. That's easy then. Take it to Joe Escobar in Campbell for your appraisal. Ask for Erik or Mia. Make an appointment.

If your lab report is anything other than GIA don't be surprised if the appraiser doesn't agree with it. Most of other labs are soft in their grading. And Erik and Mia will use GIA standards.

Just ask them to check it out for you.

Then you get it sized. Then you take it back.

RSSF

Rough_Rock
any idea how much does the appraisal cost?
any suggestion on good jewelrer?
Costco told me that I can resize it 1 size up only. I neef 1.5 sizes up
they said I can still take it to jewelrer and check if they can resize it for 1.5 sizes

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not take it to a mall store to get resized. I would take it to a local independent jeweler with an in-house bench. The vast majority of the mall stores send their jewelry out to do things like resizing, it's usually done by relatively inexperienced jewelers, and most of the handling of the jewelry is done by, well, mall employees. Locally-owned independent jewelers are just so much of a better bet.

When you take in your ring, look at it under a loupe or microscope with the jeweler to find the inclusions. Have the jeweler make an inclusion plot (if you don't already have one with whatever report came with the ring when you bought it), and sign off on it. Then when you pick up the ring, have the jeweler help you find all the inclusions again in the same places. This is a easy way to ensure the stone is the same. With that said, diamond-switching is very rare.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408261084|3734121 said:
RSSF|1408260785|3734119 said:

OK. That's easy then. Take it to Joe Escobar in Campbell for your appraisal. Ask for Erik or Mia. Make an appointment.

If your lab report is anything other than GIA don't be surprised if the appraiser doesn't agree with it. Most of other labs are soft in their grading. And Erik and Mia will use GIA standards.

Just ask them to check it out for you.

Then you get it sized. Then you take it back.
This. They are my regular jeweler.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joe Escobar has on-site repair staff. Take it there and ask whether the ring can be sized up 1.5 sizes before you get the appraisal - so you won't have paid for the appraisal if they advise against it.

By the way, are you buying the ring for yourself, or for someone else? You'd think sizing rings are standardized but they do vary slightly... and since 1/2 size difference might make the difference between being able to re-size the ring or not, it might be safest to have the wearer's finger measured with the jeweler's sizing rings when he or she assesses whether the re-sizing is possible.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RSSF|1408251958|3734083 said:
hi
0.6 Ct round center. 0.96 ct all total. Platinum, vs2 and I color. Price $3000, The ring came with certification.
I want to take it to one of the known jewelry stores at the mall to resize it 1 or 1.5 size up
The problem is that the jewelry store like zales or Kay told me they cannot give me a certification after resizing the ring it will cost me more money rather than the resizing cost to give me a signed certification.
On the one hand I don't want to spend more money on the ring. On the other hand I don't know if I can trust the jeweler, what if they replace the diamond with lower quality?
What if the diamonds became loose after the resizing, Who should take the responsibility?
Please advice

thanks much!

I have read a few of the comments in your thread, but not all of them. I want to approach this from the angle of someone in the trade rather than a consumer and hopefully clear up some of your fears.

Before doing anything, make sure that your ring is insured. You may wish to have an independent appraiser look at it to be sure you got what you think you got and that it meets all of your needs in terms of cut quality as well as color and clarity. A good independent appraiser will also help you avoid paying too much for an over valued appraisal price.

For sizing, find a good independent jeweler rather than a mall store. When you go in, ask them to show you the diamond under the microscope and draw a plot of any inclusions that you can see. Compare it to the plot on the report that came with your diamond when you purchased it at Costco. If you are not comfortable that they are the same, than ask for help in determining that the diamond in the ring is the one that you purchased and for which the report was provided.

Now you will recognize the diamond as yours when you pick it up, because you are going to look at it under the microscope again and determine that not only is the diamond the same, but that there is no damage to the ring or the diamond and that the work has been performed properly.

You do not need "new certification" when the ring is competed. As has been pointed out below, you have a diamond grading report, likely from IGI since the ring came from Costco. It is a basically worthless report that normally includes a very over priced appraisal value. YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY INSURANCE RATES ON THAT VALUE. You want to pay insurance on a value that is in line with what you paid. If you want a more accurate report, you will need to remove the diamond from the ring and either send it, or have it sent to GIA for a new diamond grading report. Your diamond can not have this report issued while mounted.

If you have googled the jeweler that you are going to use prior to going to them, you will know that they have an excellent reputation, as obviously, any one with a lousy reputation will not be getting your business. 99,9% of jewelers will never even thing about switching out your diamond for another. There simply is not enough reward for them to risk losing their livelihood over your relatively small diamond. Your diamond, using the specs that you gave us 0.60 cts I-VS2 at full rap is worth slightly less than $2,000. Diamond with IGI reports in this country sell for a significant discount from Rap, which allows Costco's vendor to put that diamond into a platinum mounting and sell it at a profit for $3,000.

In order for a jeweler to have ANY chance to get away with switching the diamond the jeweler would have to buy a diamond that at least looked similar to what you have, Maybe the jeweler could net one or two hundred dollars, if he was lucky. To be stupid enough to do that he would have to be practically brain dead, which means he would not have that excellent reputation he has when you googled him.

I am not saying that switching never happens, but it happens incredibly rarely, and never at a quality jeweler's who would not risk his reputation and professional status by doing something that stupid for practically no gain. Most of us work with diamonds that cost into the tens of thousands of dollars in value, some few are fortunate enough to work with diamonds into the millions of dollars of value. (Not yet one of them, but always working towards it and hoping!) I can tell you honestly that we never even think of switching and will work to educate you as to what your diamond looks like internally, so that when you get it back you will never think about it either after you have confirmed with your own eyes that it is the same one you left us. A false accusation would be as damaging to us as a real event, so we do worry about that and take measures to know that YOU know that YOUR diamond is YOUR diamond, no matter the value.

As to the issue of diamonds coming loose after sizing. Assuming that you have looked at your ring under the microscope and assured yourself that the diamonds were tight when you picked up the ring, any looseness that occurs later is almost always the result of wearing the ring. The jeweler has no control over how the ring is worn.

If it is worn while playing golf, tennis, lifting weights or banged against a car door handle or a file cabinet, it will eventually get loosened in the mounting, usually sooner rather than later. If your fiance is an active person who is constantly using or hard on her hands, then you especially need to have your ring insured, and also perhaps have the diamond set into a heavier style head.

Now, if your diamonds come loose six months down the road, then obviously that is a wear issue. What if they come loose immediately after you pick it up. Take it back and ask politely for them to fix it. They have that excellent reputation, so it is highly probable that they will do so with a smile. They will not even care whose fault it is, they just want you to be happy and spreading the word about what good jewelers they are. That is the power of google, yelp, Angies list and Pricescope. The people here will gladly tell you who are the good guys and who to watch out for.

You came here, you asked, I believe you will get good answers and good recommendations. I hope that you will sleep better this evening because you did.

Wink

RSSF

Rough_Rock
oes Joe Escobar do also resizing?
You all mentioned that I should take it to well known jeweler that has on site repair/lab.
I'm new here and rather than yelp I don't have any recommendation.
could you advise a well known jewelrer in the south bay (San fransisco bay area)?

Thanks a lot for your helo!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joe Escobar is in Campbell, which is between San Jose and Los Gatos. Yes, they would be able to do the resizing - or they might tell you the ring can't be re-sized to the extent that you need. BTW if they tell you it can't be re-sized as much as you need, I'd suggest you take their word for it and return the ring. Remember that once you re-size the ring it's no longer returnable, so take this trusted jeweler's word for it and don't go shopping for a jeweler who will give you the answer you want. If it's not done right or within the right parameters, re-sizing the ring could result in problems such as constantly losing melee stones.

RSSF

Rough_Rock
Wink|1408289291|3734206 said:
hi
Please advice

thanks much!

I have read a few of the comments in your thread, but not all of them. I want to approach this from the angle of someone in the trade rather than a consumer and hopefully clear up some of your fears.

Before doing anything, make sure that your ring is insured. You may wish to have an independent appraiser look at it to be sure you got what you think you got and that it meets all of your needs in terms of cut quality as well as color and clarity. A good independent appraiser will also help you avoid paying too much for an over valued appraisal price.

For sizing, find a good independent jeweler rather than a mall store. When you go in, ask them to show you the diamond under the microscope and draw a plot of any inclusions that you can see. Compare it to the plot on the report that came with your diamond when you purchased it at Costco. If you are not comfortable that they are the same, than ask for help in determining that the diamond in the ring is the one that you purchased and for which the report was provided.

Now you will recognize the diamond as yours when you pick it up, because you are going to look at it under the microscope again and determine that not only is the diamond the same, but that there is no damage to the ring or the diamond and that the work has been performed properly.

You do not need "new certification" when the ring is competed. As has been pointed out below, you have a diamond grading report, likely from IGI since the ring came from Costco. It is a basically worthless report that normally includes a very over priced appraisal value. YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY INSURANCE RATES ON THAT VALUE. You want to pay insurance on a value that is in line with what you paid. If you want a more accurate report, you will need to remove the diamond from the ring and either send it, or have it sent to GIA for a new diamond grading report. Your diamond can not have this report issued while mounted.

If you have googled the jeweler that you are going to use prior to going to them, you will know that they have an excellent reputation, as obviously, any one with a lousy reputation will not be getting your business. 99,9% of jewelers will never even thing about switching out your diamond for another. There simply is not enough reward for them to risk losing their livelihood over your relatively small diamond. Your diamond, using the specs that you gave us 0.60 cts I-VS2 at full rap is worth slightly less than $2,000. Diamond with IGI reports in this country sell for a significant discount from Rap, which allows Costco's vendor to put that diamond into a platinum mounting and sell it at a profit for $3,000.

In order for a jeweler to have ANY chance to get away with switching the diamond the jeweler would have to buy a diamond that at least looked similar to what you have, Maybe the jeweler could net one or two hundred dollars, if he was lucky. To be stupid enough to do that he would have to be practically brain dead, which means he would not have that excellent reputation he has when you googled him.

I am not saying that switching never happens, but it happens incredibly rarely, and never at a quality jeweler's who would not risk his reputation and professional status by doing something that stupid for practically no gain. Most of us work with diamonds that cost into the tens of thousands of dollars in value, some few are fortunate enough to work with diamonds into the millions of dollars of value. (Not yet one of them, but always working towards it and hoping!) I can tell you honestly that we never even think of switching and will work to educate you as to what your diamond looks like internally, so that when you get it back you will never think about it either after you have confirmed with your own eyes that it is the same one you left us. A false accusation would be as damaging to us as a real event, so we do worry about that and take measures to know that YOU know that YOUR diamond is YOUR diamond, no matter the value.

As to the issue of diamonds coming loose after sizing. Assuming that you have looked at your ring under the microscope and assured yourself that the diamonds were tight when you picked up the ring, any looseness that occurs later is almost always the result of wearing the ring. The jeweler has no control over how the ring is worn.

If it is worn while playing golf, tennis, lifting weights or banged against a car door handle or a file cabinet, it will eventually get loosened in the mounting, usually sooner rather than later. If your fiance is an active person who is constantly using or hard on her hands, then you especially need to have your ring insured, and also perhaps have the diamond set into a heavier style head.

Now, if your diamonds come loose six months down the road, then obviously that is a wear issue. What if they come loose immediately after you pick it up. Take it back and ask politely for them to fix it. They have that excellent reputation, so it is highly probable that they will do so with a smile. They will not even care whose fault it is, they just want you to be happy and spreading the word about what good jewelers they are. That is the power of google, yelp, Angies list and Pricescope. The people here will gladly tell you who are the good guys and who to watch out for.

You came here, you asked, I believe you will get good answers and good recommendations. I hope that you will sleep better this evening because you did.

Wink

Hi Wink
you mentioned that the diamond should cost something like $2000, do you think the ring is over priced?
I thought Costco's prices are bargained prices.
again it is set with one round brilliant cut diamond 0.6cts and 64 smaller round brilliant cut diamonds total 0.9cts or greater. clarity is vs-2 and color I or better and cost $3k
Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's not what Wink said.

He said that the document you got from Costco that states the rings value is probably inflated, because well, they tend to be. And that what you got is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not more.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RSSF|1408332031|3734544 said:
<Snip>
thanks much!

<Snip>
Your diamond, using the specs that you gave us 0.60 cts I-VS2 at full rap is worth slightly less than $2,000. Diamond with IGI reports in this country sell for a significant discount from Rap, which allows Costco's vendor to put that diamond into a platinum mounting and sell it at a profit for $3,000.
<Snip>
Wink

Hi Wink
you mentioned that the diamond should cost something like $2000, do you think the ring is over priced?
again it is set with one round brilliant cut diamond 0.6cts and 64 smaller round brilliant cut diamonds total 0.9cts or greater. clarity is vs-2 and color I or better and cost $3k
Thanks!

Actually, By the time you put that diamond into a platinum ring the price is probably pretty good. I am guessing that the "appraisal price" on the IGI document, if that is the document it came with was probably MUCH higher than $3000. Such a ridiculous over evaluation is typical with IGI paper and not to be given any credence, which is why I made a point of mentioning the need for an independent appraiser.

While Costco's prices are pretty good, the value of the diamond is largely dependent on what cut quality comes with it. I have seen some Costco goods that were incredible steal deals, and others that were cut like phonograph needles. I once purchased a 1.01ct diamond that had been sold at Costco with over a 70% depth and the diameter of a 0.75ct diamond. I bought it as an example of a garbage cut and sold it to an AGS store for them to use as they wanted it bad enough to offer me a silly price and I was hungry enough that month to take it.

That was a long time ago and their goods are better cut now, but you are probably not getting a top of the line cut unless it was sold with an AGS report as being such. I do not know if Costco carries any or not.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1408334166|3734557 said:
That's not what Wink said.

He said that the document you got from Costco that states the rings value is probably inflated, because well, they tend to be. And that what you got is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not more.

Yeah, you said it better than me and with a LOT less words!

Wink

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RSSF|1408332031|3734544 said:
Costco is a fine company but it can be tricky to decide what is a bargain and what is not. They are usually less expensive than a traditional specialty jewelry store on identical things. True enough, although rarely are the things identical so the comparison can be tricky. They sell manufactured products for less than a jeweler would charge to custom make a replacement. OK. So?
That's what the IGI document says. They believe the item could be replaced for that budget or less in a specialty jewelry store. That's probably correct, but I wouldn't recommend reading into that anything at all about bargains. As mentioned above, it also may not be in your best interest to bind an insurance policy with this document.

The Costco sizing policy is actually a bit of a problem. They won't do it, and as soon as someone else touches it, you've voided your warranty. Given that nearly every ring needs to be sized, this effectively means that they have no warranty. That's not as big a deal as it sounds, but it's annoying. If a side stone comes out of the ring, even if it's a manufacturing defect, it's now your problem. The jeweler who did the sizing isn't going to take responsibility, nor should they, and Costco washes their hands of it. You get to pay. With nearly every other vendor that isn't the case. Buy a ring from them, have them size it, and if a stone comes out they'll fix it at their expense. It's usually not all that expensive so it's more of an annoyance than anything important but it's unusual for Costco to be at the bottom of the pile instead of the top when it comes to things like warranties and customer support.

RSSF

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help!
I went there to Joe Escobar. the place is really nice and professional.
however the lady who helped us was not "that happy" to bring in a ring from somewhere else.
she tried to show us her stuff which is nice but not compared to the one I have (price wise), of course if i pay more i will get much better!
to make long story short:
She said it can be resized up 1.5 size
They dont guarantee if any of the stones falls (well no one will)
it will cost me more than $500!! ($380 per size as it is Platinum)

any place in the mall (Zales/Kay/..) they said it will be something like: $180-$200

I am sure the Escobar guys are really good but $500 is really to much (it is still $3k ring and not 10k!!)

Could you help me please to find another jeweler with reasonable prices?
Can i trust the mall guys?

let me know ASAP, i need to decide what should i do with this ring :(

I found on Yelp a good Jeweler from Cupertino - Vardy's Jewelry but i dont know the place rather than yelp.

Thank you all for your helpful comments and advises!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the really good jewelers I know cost money. No. I would not trust this to a mall jeweler. Call Kings Jewelers in Walnut Creek. Tell them you have a platinum halo ring with a pave shank that you need sized up 1.5 sizes and see what they quote you.

Ask Vardy's if they have "an on-site bench" for sizing. If they do, they could be an option as well, possibly.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if you read between the lines, people are trying to let you know that your Costco bargain ring might not bet that much of a bargain in the long run, particularly if it needs to be sized.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much would this ring cost if you bought from a PS vendor?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buying a $3000 ring from a warehouse and then having critical and irreversible work done by the cheapest guy you can find may not be the best strategy. I don’t know these Escobar people from Adam beyond that they get good press here. As far as I know, I’ve never seen their work. That said, $500 does seem a bit on the high side and you might be able to find someone who will do it for a couple of hundred cheaper if you hunt around but I think maybe you’re pinching your pennies and not your dollars here. If you’re that close to the edge of the cliff, go back to Costco and find a cheaper ring or consider shopping with a real jeweler: Someone who will stand behind their merchandise and offers ‘free’ sizing as part of the sale.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To answer the question asked by Dancing Fire. How much would a similar ring cost through a PS dealer.

This is with a much better quality GIA graded stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.60-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-287527 this is a VS1 clarity stone.
Setting: [URL='/user']/user[/URL]

And it would be made to order to the right size. Total outlay: $3500.

That's WITH a warranty. AND a 60 days full return policy. AND an upgrade policy (which costco doesn't have). JA also offers financing if you need it.

Overall, much better value.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1408488035|3735769 said:
........ If you’re that close to the edge of the cliff, go back to Costco and find a cheaper ring or consider shopping with a real jeweler: Someone who will stand behind their merchandise and offers ‘free’ sizing as part of the sale.

great advice......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results