carat
color
clarity

resizing Costco diamond ring

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408488439|3735772 said:
To answer the question asked by Dancing Fire. How much would a similar ring cost through a PS dealer.
This is with a much better quality GIA graded stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.60-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-287527 this is a VS1 clarity stone.
Setting: [URL='/user']/user[/URL]

And it would be made to order to the right size. Total outlay: $3500.

That's WITH a warranty. AND a 60 days full return policy. AND an upgrade policy (which costco doesn't have). JA also offers financing if you need it.

Overall, much better value.
it is a no brainer! This is a much better deal than the Costco ring... :appl:

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1408488439|3735772 said:
Setting: [URL='/user']/user[/URL]

Gypsy, the wrong URL got pasted into your post. Hopefully you can go back and find the correct link for the setting you were recommending!

RSSF

Rough_Rock
I did some investigation before getting that ring from Costco but couldn't find something comparable (with platinum) maybe I was wrong. I s hould check again.
I found a stand alone branch of Shan co.
in Cupertino. they do fixes on site. they will charge 175 for 1.5 size up
the sale guy told me the price was really good and for that hole thick platinum ring I won't be able to find a ring at there store for 3k
he said that they will fix the ring same day. in store and they will give me 30 days warrenty.

Is it too good to be true?
Does anyone know the jewelers at Shane Co in Cupertino?
Should I ask for written warrenty or Can I trust their word?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They won't give you a written warranty. And their sizing will void the Costco warranty. So for me, that's not a good deal.

I've never been impressed by the Shane Company for the most part their in house (own brand) settings are nothing to write home about and their prices for their quality goods (lab graded stones) are relatively high. Their primary appeal seems to be good advertising and good selection.

I'd return the Costco ring. And I'd buy this combo:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-17442
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.60-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-287527

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Of course you won’t be able to find a similar ring at Shane for $3 ... they are the type of place that made you go to Costco.
The certificate from IGI likely overstates the grade of the stone, and then you paid for that higher grade ... maybe not as much as you expected for that grade so it looks like a great deal.
It seems that you are a bit biased toward the Costco purchase .... I know it isn’t always easy to see that it wasn’t as good a deal as you thought. People tend to believe what they want to believe.
I would suggest no further searching for things to support the Costco purchase and instead just return it and follow the suggestions here. That way you get a lifetime warranty.
If not - of course get the warranty in writing - a verbal warranty is ridiculous.
I hope you end up with the ring of your dreams, and that you can rest assured that you got the best deal possible. :wavey:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few other points resizing, was that price quoted with added platinum or just by thinning the ring? Saying the shank was thick makes me think the quote was for thinning the shank NOT adding more platinum.
And if you are getting “high quotes”, that might be their polite way of saying they don’t want your business!
Platinum is a trickier metal to resize, you can end up with a visible seam, especially at a cheaper type jeweller, they don’t have the expensive laser equipment.
Resizing any band with melee set can cause problems, the curve shape of the ring gets changed and those little diamonds can pop out. Costco isn’t going to cover that, your insurer might say it’s a “wear and tear” issue and thus not covered by insurance and anyone who works on your ring to resize isn’t and won’t take responsibility for any melee that pop out because they’ll say it’s a manufacturing or design flaw.
And pop out they do.
Tiny little diamonds are held with tiny little prongs, easy to bump or catch and before you know it, a wee diamond has fallen out.
I know a lot of people who have lost one or more tiny melee diamonds out of their rings. It happens a lot. I had I ring I lost 3 out of before I just gave up on the style! It’s not a hard fix but it’s a nuisance sending it away for repair. If you aren’t covered by your manufacturer (and you won’t be as Costco said any outside work voids the warranty) you’ll be up for $100 or more each time.
I’d seriously consider returning the ring for a refund and going with James Allen or similar and getting proper value for money and a decent after sales service.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results