shape
carat
color
clarity

Resident Experts: Finally Got My Stats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
I''m sorry if this post runs long...I finally got my numbers on the stone I''m probably going to buy. Here goes:

GIA Cert:

Report: GIA (2002)
Cut: Emerald
Measurements: 8.28 x 6.24 x 4.33mm (1.33 length to width ratio)
Weight: 2.03 carat
Depth: 69.4%
Table: 68%
Girdle: Extremely thin to thick
Culet: none
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Clarity: IF
Color: F
Fluorescene: None

Report from Jeweler:

Total Depth: 69.4% (4.32 mm)
Crown Angle: 50.7 (37.4-64.0)
Crown Height: 10.4% (10.9-9.9)
Pavilion Angle: 57.8 (57.6-58.0)
Pavilion Depth: 56.5% (56.1-56.9)
Table Size: 70.3% (4.38 mm)
Girdle Thickness: 2.5% (2.4-2.6)

Why is the table % different in this report?

Also...there is also a "topdown graph" that shows Table 0.8% and Culet 0.6%

One last thing: I was concerned about the "extremely thin to thick" girdle, so the jeweler provided a girdle report.

One sheet shows the megascope report: it shows a series of lines and there is one "dip" in the girdle (doesn''t really look wavy, however). It shows 2.4-2.6 and shows bezel: 2.5 (2.4-2.6) Halv: 0.0 and Valley 0.0.

There is a final report on the girdle showing a regular round diamond shape with a series of numbers running from 7 (at 12
6.gif
0) clockwise to 8, 1, 2, 3 (at 6
6.gif
0), 4, 5, 6 then to 7 (back at 12
6.gif
0).

I really appreciate the forum for being patient with me during this purchase (just nerves, you know?) and all the info in this long post. And thanks especially to Richard for dealing with all my questions.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We always get slightly different measurements on emerald cut stones on our OGI Mega Scope than the GIA / AGS labs report on their diamond grading reports... We have been told that the variance is due to a difference in how the specific software settings used by the labs to measure the stone vary from how the settings in the Sarin / OGI machines read the stones... It has something to do with the labs measuring the stone from edge to edge and the Sarin / OGI machines read the stones from tip to tip across the stone... Who knows for sure, but hopefully it brings a little light to the topic.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Numbers look quite good... Maybe the crown is a little low, but not that much... Is the stone good looking?

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert (thus, all the posts), but I think the stone looks really good. I would say that it looks "solid." In other words, it doesn't have that drastic "doors down the hallway" look. I mean, the lines and the definition are there, but the lines are more faint and subtle. I've looked at a few other emerald cut stones that have a "glassy" and "stepped" look--this one is more sedate ("calm" or whatever) than that. There are no dark spots at all.

I can't really say that it's a blazing stone or anything...but that's not really a characteristic of emerald cuts anyway. I don't know that I've seen yet an emerald cut stone that really sparkles. Well, I have seen a few, but they have that glassy effect I was talking about--those stones look really busy. The lines are more distinct through the table and they seem to give off more light (and seem to have a few more dark spots too). It's kind of a cool effect, I guess...My stone, to get to the point, looks fairly solid, calm, clean, with a little sparkle. Again, I couldn't find any dark spots on my stone, but maybe that's not really desirable, I don't know.

My jeweler seems to have a good eye, and he said that he considers it to be in the top few % points of what he'd find in the open market (could be salesmanship, don't know). He doesn't pay a lot of attention to numbers, it seems--he just uses his eyes. It really didn't hit me immediately, other than it looked very clean (F) and classy. However, the more time I spent with it (looked at it for about 20 minutes or so), the more it talked to me.

Sorry...another long post. Appreciate the responses and hope some of what I've said makes sense.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
The numbers look good, But I would not go for IF VVS qality's are just as good to the naked eye without paying the price of IF. If it was me I would go for a lrger stone and drop down in clarity to vvs2-vs1,once it is mounted you will not be able to tell the difference ,except for the price.

just my 2 cents
1.gif

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
Diamondsman:

I appreciate your 2 cents. You make a really good point. Actually, I never wanted an IF stone, but I just happened to find this one and I think I've got a very good price...good enough to make the purchase seem sensible. I originally wanted a larger G-H VS2 stone, but again, this one seems like a deal.

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
Richard Sherwood:

I can't get my PM to work at all for some reason...if you see this, I just wanted to say thanks for the info.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
IF looks great on emeralds... Have you bought it??

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
Giangi: No...not yet. I'm still trying to get all the feedback possible from everybody on the Sarin information. I've posted the GIA stats before, but the other info on the stone is brand new.

I feel fairly confident about the stone, but want to make as sure as possible about it before making the purchase. I'll have a few days to get the stone checked out and appraised, but still, I'd rather not go through the initial purchase (and the hassle and expense of getting it appraised) if there's some warning flag raised somewhere in the stone's stats.

Your comments would be appreciated.

As I said, the stone is really clean, white, and transparent. It's not a "loud" stone at all...doesn't have a ton of sparkle, but it's beautiful in that it's really clean. I've probably looked at around 20 stones at this point, and all I can say is that this stone looks very different...unlike any I've seen so far. Others have been flashier, but they often have the "glassy" look and have some dark areas seen through the table.

Anyway...we're still in kind of a holding pattern right now. The stone is being held for me at my jeweler and it's mine if I want it.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Jp...

This stone looks very good... As you suggested, emerald aren't as sparkly as rounds, but they're very sleek and elegant... I say, if the stone is in your budget and you prefer high grades, top quality diamonds, then this diamond is just right for you!!!
PS What about the setting??
1.gif

Pumpsie

Rough_Rock
Giangi: I think that if I were worrying about the setting at this point, my head would explode.
14.gif
But that has to be dealt with pretty soon...

I've already picked out a Tacori setting (has baggettes) that will work well with this stone. That's the next purchase and a will be a whole lot easier to deal with...no problem there.

The thing is, I really wasn't looking for an IF diamond or even an F color, but this stone jumped out at me as a really good deal. I mean, my girl was fine with the lower grades, but I think my price is really good on this one. Thanks, Giangi.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
If you buy the stone and have it set by Tacori, please post pictures! Sounds beautiful!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results