shape
carat
color
clarity

resetting my vintage engagement ring...what do you think?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my first post after obsessively lurking for who knows how long!

I'd really love everyone's excellent advice about what to do with my engagement ring. It's an estate piece; a 2ct oval with split shank pave. Phone pictures attached- the stone caught the light strangely so they look a bit odd-also not sure why they're not orienting properly!The primary issues are: questionably secure pave & wear/breakage of the center prongs

I quite like the split shank styling and I think the numerous and fine prongs on the center diamond are lovely and unique, but I'm just not feeling like everything is secure. I've had several opinions from jewelers which ranged from "retip the prongs, everything will be fine!" to "it would be so labor intensive to secure everything it would be cost prohibitive", so I'm not sure I trust any of them!

I was thinking of resetting in a three stone (oval with half moons, maybe?) but am just a bit afraid I'd miss the current setting.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

img_11244.jpg

img_11245.jpg

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Re: resetting my vintage engagement ring...what do you think

Tough choice on the designs! I think a reset of some sort would ease concerns about the security of the ring. The hard part is figuring out which one to chose. An oval with half moon sides would look beautiful and this thread features my favorite oval setting (it's Kaleigh's): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ovals.109900/.

On the other hand, the split shank setting, to me, is equally beautiful for an oval so maybe resetting in something similar would still evoke the same look and feel of the original one? Would you regret going in a totally different direction if you chose side stones instead of a split shank?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: resetting my vintage engagement ring...what do you think

I think I'm leaning toward doing a 3 stone...I have been ogling Kaleigh's for ages! It's so perfect. Timeless, substantial, durable.

I do love the split shank, so am still considering a similar style (perhaps just a two way split as opposed to three...I don't know)-but still feel a tiny bit nervous about the pave. Should I really be worried about that in a new setting? I know loosing those little stones is always a possibility, but a modern setting would have to be more secure...right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results