shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting My Darker Moody Blue/Green Tsavorite Garnet

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So.....
Finally a thread that reinforces the name that I chose when entering PS!
I swear I love garnets but hardly comment or post about them!
:lol-2:

Anyways, the time has come!
I purchased this very lovely mysteriously delicious dark & moody tsavorite garnet already set in a polished & substantial 14k yellow gold setting a few years ago. I'm sure you CS gals remember it as I've posted it here and there every now and then but never created a thread for her.

The tsav itself is 8x6mm and I wore the ring and enjoyed it for a year or two even though I knew that if kept, I would eventually reset it as it didn't match or go along with any of my other jewelry. I tend to collect pieces that are simple in that the stones are the star but that are composed with some feminine details & this setting just didn't mirror that or my style.

I had the setting cut off & sold for scrap which actually provided a surprisingly good chunk of change in itself. Now I just have my lonely tsav!

IMG_20200822_124930401.jpg IMG_20200822_124931308.jpg IMG_20200822_124914215.jpg

I'm totally enamored by this garnet & to be honest I haven't seen many that rival it that are the same shade and tone. Under a loupe I've also been unable to find any inclusions.
It carries such a strong blue modifier that is rare and special in my eyes.

I know for a lot or even most of you this stone would be too dark but it only adds to her glamour for me & creates a very visually interesting and moody stone.

Originally I had purchased two 4x5mm purple garnets from YvonneR and had planned on making a garnet birthstone ring for myself to rule all bs rings with a simple three-stone trellis design but when I received them I noticed that the garnets darkened the gem and instead of working together the two colors clashed slightly.

Screenshot_20201106-231118.png

So back to the drawing board for me....

Until I was wearing my tanzanite ring & a thought hit me: I'm in love with this ring, what if I made the same style setting for the tsavorite, I did after all have 6 diamonds laying around!

IMG_20201101_112141044~2.jpg
IMG_20201101_112128245.jpg

Low & behold when I arranged them they worked perfectly! So off my idea went to the jeweler and off to the races we go!

IMG_20201105_151141301.jpg
IMG_20201105_151138436.jpg

I'm thinking of keeping the yellow gold that the original plain bezel setting had as it seemed to play up the tsavorites color but I think I want to use 18k yellow gold and play it up even more! I usually only use 14k rose gold for any and all gems that contain blue & green but I'm not sure about this one...

Anyways I will post updates once details are sorted out & once it's all finished!!!!

I'm keeping the design in its entirety but changing a few minor things:

- Swirl art nouveau inspired "engraving" on the band instead of the chevron

- The tsavorite is more like 1.3cts instead of my tanzanite which is probably 2.5/3 yet the diamond proportions are still similar so the face will have a different look to it

- Not sure if I'll have miligrain done on the diamonds bezels or not, but if I do it will be hand done like my tanzanite ring

This will be my personal dream tsavorite ring so I cannot wait. It's also a project that I didn't expect to start for months so it's always exciting when I can move projects up!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the finished ring!

I love the 3 round stones on each side setting for an oval CS.

DK :kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So exciting - pls keep us posted on your project 8)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely 100% go with the diamonds. The purple garnets really don't look right with the Tsav but I know multicolour rings are loved by many! Are you going to change the design at all? I'm wondering if you don't have milgrain but have lovely smooth bezels?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:
Diamonds is the right choice for this one.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the Tsav was lighter I would agree with yellow gold. Somehow I have a feeling that white gold, or platinum might help make your particular Tsav pop a little more. Just a thought. :)

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
So.....

I purchased this very lovely mysteriously delicious dark & moody tsavorite garnet already set in a polished & substantial 14k yellow gold setting a few years ago. I'm sure you CS gals remember it as I've posted it here and there every now and then but never created a thread for her.

The tsav itself is 8x6mm and I wore the ring and enjoyed it for a year or two even though I knew that if kept, I would eventually reset it as it didn't match or go along with any of my other jewelry. I tend to collect pieces that are simple in that the stones are the star but that are composed with some feminine details & this setting just didn't mirror that or my style.

I had the setting cut off & sold for scrap which actually provided a surprisingly good chunk of change in itself. Now I just have my lonely tsav!

IMG_20200822_124930401.jpg IMG_20200822_124931308.jpg IMG_20200822_124914215.jpg

I'm totally enamored by this garnet & to be honest I haven't seen many that rival it that are the same shade and tone. Under a loupe I've also been unable to find any inclusions.

I know for a lot or even most of you this stone would be too dark but it only adds to her glamour for me & creates a very visually interesting and moody stone.

Originally I had purchased two 4x5mm purple garnets from YvonneR and had planned on making a garnet birthstone ring for myself to rule all bs rings with a simple three-stone trellis design but when I received them I noticed that the garnets darkened the gem and instead of working together the two colors clashed slightly.

Until I was wearing my tanzanite ring & a thought hit me: I'm in love with this ring, what if I made the same style setting for the tsavorite, I did after all have 6 diamonds laying around!

Low & behold when I arranged them they worked perfectly! So off my idea went to the jeweler and off to the races we go!

I'm thinking of keeping the yellow gold that the original plain bezel setting had as it seemed to play up the tsavorites color but I think I want to use 18k yellow gold and play it up even more! I usually only use 14k rose gold for any and all gems that contain blue & green but I'm not sure about this one...

Anyways I will post updates once details are sorted out & once it's all finished!!!!

- The tsavorite is more like 1.3cts instead of my tanzanite which is probably 2.5/3 yet the diamond proportions are still similar so the face will have a different look to it

- Not sure if I'll have miligrain done on the diamonds bezels or not, but if I do it will be hand done like my tanzanite ring

This will be my personal dream tsavorite ring so I cannot wait. It's also a project that I didn't expect to start for months so it's always exciting when I can move projects up!

beautiful! cant wait to see the project!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful!! I love your tsavorite and this ring will be a stunner!

pearl_clutcher

Rough_Rock
So.....

What a beautiful stone! The diamonds are a perfect choice for that garnet -- they set off the depth of the garnet's deep color and create a lovely contrast. Looking forward to seeing the finished setting!

ETA: Also, that crescent-moon/swirl necklace you are wearing in the second ring photo is gorgeous.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color! I love garnets and it is amazing what variety they come in!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your comments! I had no idea that there'd be so much enthusiasm for my darker girl but apparently there are those who see what I see in her!

There's just something so mysterious to her!

& I have to admit *you all are gonna hate me* that I've been bad and I made another purchase, throwing this lady from the front of the line to the side. So she will have to wait another month or two for her turn!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Sooooooooooo

You all are going to hate me even more but life happened, well
my mother happened lol

So the six diamonds that I had were given to me by my mother as they were originally taken out of a ring that was from my granddad & she let me keep them! Well, right before I was set to send my jeweler the tsav & diamonds my mother rang & asked if I had set the diamonds yet because if I hadn't she wanted them back to create a bar necklace with them. I didn't have the heart to keep them, so back to my mother they went!

When I looked around for six replacements It looked like it was going to be an extra $300-500 & that would have made the entire piece much more than I was willing to spend yet I decided to save for them so I could still afford them plus the 18k yellow gold I had in mind, it was just going to take a few more months than I had planned...

UNTIL....

I was organizing my jewelry box & came to my unset gems and decided to put two extra 2mm neon reddish-pink spinel rounds I had in the same gem box with those two 3/4mm purple garnet ovals & noticed that they enhanced the crap out of each other, then I had the idea to put the tsav in the center, and BOOM, all three colors brought out the most lovely rich jewel tones in each other and they accomplished what the purple rhodolites & tsav alone could not! Together they looked jewelicious & I knew I had to set them together!

So off they went to the jeweler where they are now to be bezel set in
a five stone ring! I still kept the 18k yellow gold as it furthered the treasure trove look! Very simple polished five stone bezel ring, & covers the entire finger with rich jewel toned goodness!

So what a totally different direction I ended up going in, but I suppose maybe everything happens for a reason & the tsav was meant to be set with them instead of the originally planned diamonds!

Plus my daughters birthstone is now spinel so it has hers & mine which
is extra precious!

Will post finished pictures soon :dance:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serendipity! Looking forward to seeing the finished ring, sounds beautiful!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
What a turn of events - but I’ll bet in the end you’ll end up loving this design even more. Can’t wait to see it set!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
These are the cads for the ring! The colors are way off but shows proportions nicely. It's gonna be a very simple but impactful CS ring, with the whole piece polished smooth. The only detail I'm trying to decide & won't decide on until they're set is whether to go with miligrained bezels or not!
If I do go with the miligrain it will be delicately added by hand after casting & setting.

Feel free to post your opinion when it comes to miligrain!

icm_fullxfull.315693671_a48hopmiykg0wssgww4k.jpg
icm_fullxfull.315693649_dsdvz97vc14o888ocwwk.jpg

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will also be a great ring to wear for Mardi gras!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw the very first post, I was thinking 5 stone with purple oval garnet and round diamond at the ends. Then I saw the triple diamond sides and thought that was pretty good too. Then heart drop when the diamonds aren't available anymore. And now it's a 5 stone with those luscious purple garnets again, this time with spinels. I'm sold on the latest design!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@partgypsy omg, I love the way you think! I've always wanted to do a real New Orleans Mardi gras but it all sounds so messy! I suppose that is the point though! I'm such a darn homebody, I love to stay safe and cozy inside of my bubble haha

@chrono Great minds girl ;)2
Oh I know I sent you all on a rollercoaster of emotions because that's how it was for me. Those diamonds looked killer and I loved the proportions but I just couldn't deny my mother, she gave them to me anyways! Although I think it all panned out well as the proportions of the five stone just looks perfectly so, I can't wait to see how the 18k yellow gold affects all of the jewel tones!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
These are the cads for the ring! The colors are way off but shows proportions nicely. It's gonna be a very simple but impactful CS ring, with the whole piece polished smooth. The only detail I'm trying to decide & won't decide on until they're set is whether to go with miligrained bezels or not!
If I do go with the miligrain it will be delicately added by hand after casting & setting.

Feel free to post your opinion when it comes to miligrain!

icm_fullxfull.315693671_a48hopmiykg0wssgww4k.jpg
icm_fullxfull.315693649_dsdvz97vc14o888ocwwk.jpg

Love the proportions and personally I love milgrain

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ta-da! She's finished

This is is really my first ring ever that has so much color! It's so different than what I'm used to but I truly love how the bright reddish-pink spinels & purple garnets work with my darker mermaid colored tsav! Also I decided on miligrain & I love the contrast of its delicacy and texture with the bold polished buttery 18k gold of the bezels.

My simplest rings (design & time wise), are turning out to be the ones that I wear the most. I've also received more compliments on this five stone than any other piece of jewelry!

Overall I just love this combination & am very happy with the result!

I guess I also changed my name in haste because I just purchased a beautiful elongated cushion cut orange Spessartite garnet haha which will be a whole nother project! Of course the time when I decide TGG is no longer fitting for me, is also the time that I buy and fabricate more garnet pieces than I ever have!!

Time for the flood of images!
IMG_20210207_155443626_HDR.jpg IMG_20210207_155439558_HDR.jpg IMG_20210207_155435065_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210207_155428027_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210207_155422099_HDR.jpg IMG_20210207_155415943.jpg IMG_20210207_155411597_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210205_160749166.jpg
IMG_20210205_160752977.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: I love the sophisticated gradation and going gaga over the textured milgrain on the bezels! And re: the name change, isn't that always the way? I really dig the new name, very cool and I'm sure, utterly you.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: I love the sophisticated gradation and going gaga over the textured milgrain on the bezels! And re: the name change, isn't that always the way? I really dig the new name, very cool and I'm sure, utterly you.

Thank you so much Mainly
It's crazy, I usually never get any compliments on my pieces outside of PS but I've had so many on this one! I guess something about it speaks to other people as well.

& Thank you, I felt as though it was finally time for a change and something much more "me", despite me still loving garnets! I was starting to have to change it to TheEmeraldGirl haha

I swear I have a gem illness haha, as I'm already dreaming up a diamond halo in rose gold for my Spessartite. Purchased from another lovely PSer ❤️

Somebody needs to take my trigger finger away!!
:dance:

IMG_20210207_164536_375~2.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
We all have gem illness, it's why we're here in our 'support group' :lol: right?
I could tell you not to dream with that spess, and show all the inspos pictures, but I ain't gonna.
Sorry, sorry-I really want to see it. :Up_to_something:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is gorgeous :love: and looks beautiful on your hand! I’m loving your new spess as well! I also have a gem illness. I just keep telling myself that it’s not the worse problem I could have:lol:.

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
Ta-da! She's finished

This is is really my first ring ever that has so much color! It's so different than what I'm used to but I truly love how the bright reddish-pink spinels & purple garnets work with my darker mermaid colored tsav! Also I decided on miligrain & I love the contrast of its delicacy and texture with the bold polished buttery 18k gold of the bezels.

My simplest rings (design & time wise), are turning out to be the ones that I wear the most. I've also received more compliments on this five stone than any other piece of jewelry!

Overall I just love this combination & am very happy with the result!

I guess I also changed my name in haste because I just purchased a beautiful elongated cushion cut orange Spessartite garnet haha which will be a whole nother project! Of course the time when I decide TGG is no longer fitting for me, is also the time that I buy and fabricate more garnet pieces than I ever have!!

Time for the flood of images!
IMG_20210207_155443626_HDR.jpg IMG_20210207_155439558_HDR.jpg IMG_20210207_155435065_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210207_155428027_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210207_155422099_HDR.jpg IMG_20210207_155415943.jpg IMG_20210207_155411597_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210205_160749166.jpg
IMG_20210205_160752977.jpg

@LemonMoonLex Would you mind taking a down-the-finger shot of the profile view for me, if it’s not too much trouble? I’m working on a bezeled three stone ring with Dan, and I can’t decide if I want an open or closed gallery. Your closed bezels are gorgeous and so sleek!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results