shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting my chrysoberyl

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have some time now to sit and type out a post.

Several years ago I got a round yellow chrysoberyl from Barry. It's 7.1 or 7.2mm. I *LOVE* it. I had it set in a yg/silver semi bezel ring from myheartmonster-now Mod Metal, on Etsy. I used inspiration from two rings and came up w/the design and am pretty darn proud of it (even tho it's very much not to everyone's taste!). The ring is flawless-she did a spectacular job on it. I've wished for a long time that I had gone all gold instead of silver, which is why I've been thinking to reset.

I've had tons of ideas rolling around in my head. The most recent of which was along the lines of the CvB Dahlia. I was thisclose to pulling the trigger and having DK make me something--D&T and I were actually both talking to him about the same thing we found out, tho mine would've been slightly different. She, however, went thru w/it, while I was still hemming and hawing.

Were I to change anything about the current setting (aside from going all gold), I would make the shank a little thinner. It's wide, like 5mm if I remember correctly. It's not horrible or anything, the width..I just wonder if the shank were thinner if it would showcase the chryso more?

So..I feel a little lost on the ring, what to do w/it. Do I see about remaking the same setting, this time in gold, w/a thinner shank? Maybe a different semi bezel/bezel design instead? Or--change it up entirely and go prongs? I go back and forth on the idea of having something different than my avc bezel three stone, to then thinking they should be similar in "vibe"..the chryso ring now was made for my right ring finger, and both my hands have similar finger size so I can switch this to my right if I want to use it as an alternate ering. (and I did wear the chryso as my ering until I had my avc ring done)

I just need to talk it out I guess?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrysoberyl-semi-bezel-ring.160321/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chrysoberyl-semi-bezel-ring.160321/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/barry-chryso-in-myheartmonster-semi-bezel.160596/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/barry-chryso-in-myheartmonster-semi-bezel.160596/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you want any diamonds in the design or no?

I feel like maevona has some designs that really give the same feel as your current setting while being a bit thinner, a bit daintier.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that lm setting but it's so different than your three stone.

For myself, I can appreciate so many different styles of rings, but unless they fit my personal style, I don't really respond to them in my personal collection. Are you like that? Or are you really open to having all sorts of different styles. Just because I think your e ring and your current cryso setting have a design aesthetic much different than that LM you posted.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never had much of a "collection" of sorts..I had a halo ring once, even tho I didn't think I would like it, but I ended up actually loving it and only sold it so I could put the money towards the three stone. I feel like a lot of diamonds, the LM picture I posted, I wouldn't wear a whole lot-I would be more apt to wearing something less "fancy"...more..simple I guess.

I do worry about whacking the stone on something, which is part of why bezels/semi bezels appeal to me..besides the fact I think they're cool looking haha.

dahlia.jpg

twistedring.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1461810240|4024442 said:
I've never had much of a "collection" of sorts..I had a halo ring once, even tho I didn't think I would like it, but I ended up actually loving it and only sold it so I could put the money towards the three stone. I feel like a lot of diamonds, the LM picture I posted, I wouldn't wear a whole lot-I would be more apt to wearing something less "fancy"...more..simple I guess.

I do worry about whacking the stone on something, which is part of why bezels/semi bezels appeal to me..besides the fact I think they're cool looking haha.

Yeah that's all I mean, I didn't mean to say a collection of a great number rof jewelry pieces you've collected I just meant, once it's yours, would you wear it? Would you like it with your other stuff? Would it seem out of place with your wardrobe?

I like both of the photos you just posted. I like the idea of it having a split or tri shank. Gives the illusion of both negative space and width.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the Dahlia is gorgeous and your stone would look great in it or something like it. I would get the same ring made again if I so loved it and would miss wearing it. At first I thought not, but I thought about an antique setting that I bought, plain and simple, that I would have made, if I could, for lots of stones. It just fits me, is easy to wear and I find myself reaching for it though it is not diamonds (rather it is mint diopside). So would you miss this ring if you did not wear it?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would miss the current setting. Sometimes when I get my wedding set out in the morning before going to work I take it out and look at it and feel it, and I know that sounds whackadoo-but it has those swoops for the shoulders and it's so straight on the bottom, it just feels good to play w/it. (when I wear it I play w/it too and run my fingers down the shoulders-kind of like a worry-stone) I had thought after a reset I would put something else in it, so I could still wear it at times.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
For that 2nd picture, any thoughts on who would be the best to ask to do it?

The maker of the original is taking a break, so I don't know if she's coming back and would be a candidate for a remake if I went that route, or if I would need to find someone else.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1462065184|4025652 said:
For that 2nd picture, any thoughts on who would be the best to ask to do it?

The maker of the original is taking a break, so I don't know if she's coming back and would be a candidate for a remake if I went that route, or if I would need to find someone else.

This thread made me fall in love with your original setting, and was hoping to work with that designer, but saw she was taking break :(:( It's such a special setting, maybe reset the chryso in something else, but use that setting for anther stone? I feel like if I were you I might miss the setting, but obviously the other choices you are considering are gorgeous as well!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Yeah, I for sure would put something else in there-I love the setting too much to get rid of it entirely. Not sure what would work in there, but something anyway!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also to answer your question about the 2nd setting (I assume you mean the 3 shank one), I might ask DK since I feel like he is well priced and can make quality settings that have that kind of elegant/swoopy look.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will contact DK and I also messaged Alistair Kelsey last night too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1462123296|4025834 said:
I will contact DK and I also messaged Alistair Kelsey last night too.

Ohhhh, AK would be INCREDIBLE making something like this. He is so talented :) Good thinking! Keep us updated!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard back from him already and we've been chatting back and forth. He is thinking along the lines of his Solace, so this one.https://www.facebook.com/410960278929548/photos/pb.410960278929548.-2207520000.1462160379./1325422970816603/?type=3&theater

He also has a picture of a round yellow beryl and a scalloped yellow gold piece that is in production now-I think that's going to be similar. I'm dying to see how it turns out.

Sooooo it's just going to be a matter of eeny meeny miney mo, Solace or DK and doing that specific twisty setting from the picture.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1462160597|4026062 said:
I heard back from him already and we've been chatting back and forth. He is thinking along the lines of his Solace, so this one.https://www.facebook.com/410960278929548/photos/pb.410960278929548.-2207520000.1462160379./1325422970816603/?type=3&theater

He also has a picture of a round yellow beryl and a scalloped yellow gold piece that is in production now-I think that's going to be similar. I'm dying to see how it turns out.

Sooooo it's just going to be a matter of eeny meeny miney mo, Solace or DK and doing that specific twisty setting from the picture.

haha obviously I'm a little partial to the AK solace, since that's my sunstone iolite ring :) I ADORE AK and all of his work, and think he would do an amazing job. I think he'd make something unique and wonderful, and he's amazing to work with. I vote for him even though DK also has a great reputation. I think you can't go wrong either way though! :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, AK was very nice to chat w/last night! I may have to flip a coin or something.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1462199787|4026134 said:
yes, AK was very nice to chat w/last night! I may have to flip a coin or something.

Do AK. DK in my opinion is fine if you know exactly what you want. But you have to micromanage the cads to get an idea you already had in your head. AK is an artist and I do think will get you something you like without as much work

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your style:

DK
Aims to please but emails / communication is spotty and sparse, and you have to be able to notice the minute details to tweak the CADs,

AK
He does excellent work, so just let it go and you know it'll be great.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I asked AK for a quote so we'll see what happens next!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, he got me a quote already! Super fast.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yay! Glad AK got back to you so quickly!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
He did! And he apologized for not getting back to me sooner! I had messaged that I thought the Solace a better fit than the Floret, and I was ok w/the N/S/E/W prong orientation, then the next day I asked for estimated cost, and then the next, tonight, he gave it to me--so what, two days? Great communication for sure!

Price is nice too...I don't have all the funds yet to move forward, and I'm still on the fence about the exact design I'm looking for, for the chryso so I'm kinda stumped.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Getting quotes from a few other vendors just to have some comparisons. I feel like I want to stick more closely to the yg twisty ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved that too. Earthy feeling. What do you think?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464489019|4037591 said:
Oooo lookit this! I'd posted on a picture that had the stone and part of the halo about how much I was looking forward to seeing the final result and he tagged me in the that picture to make sure I saw this-which I thought was thoughtful.https://www.facebook.com/410960278929548/photos/a.953657614659809.1073741826.410960278929548/1443989585626607/?type=3&theater

Yup, he's super thoughtful. Also that setting is just to.die.for. I adore the halo and solace combo, so elegant and lovely.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1464490571|4037599 said:

Torn. I'd not planned to put diamonds w/it, nor a halo. I'd thought to tweak that twisty ring, pulling up that center twist to make prongs and a couple other things.

He's so dang nice tho, I really think I would like working w/him. He said if I had any other thoughts/ideas to give him a holler, so maybe I'll do that anyway.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464494845|4037613 said:
Niel|1464490571|4037599 said:

Torn. I'd not planned to put diamonds w/it, nor a halo. I'd thought to tweak that twisty ring, pulling up that center twist to make prongs and a couple other things.

He's so dang nice tho, I really think I would like working w/him. He said if I had any other thoughts/ideas to give him a holler, so maybe I'll do that anyway.

What if instead of diamonds he does that petal thing he does around it where the halo is now?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results