shape
carat
color
clarity

resetting an heirloom Marquise

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been reading these forums for about a month now, looking at settings and doing research. The stone itself is a family stone that has been saved for me to give to my fiance.

I am actually very excited because she mentioned that she really likes Marquise cut stones, and wants something that sits low on the finger so that it doesn't get snagged.

The marquise stone that I have is 2.05 carat, with a very shallow table. It is currently in a high mounted yellow gold solitaire, but I have been searching endlessly for the right setting, and possibly ideas for a custom setting. It mostly depends on what exists already in semi-custom work.

the Marquise stone measures 12mm x 5.5mm (closer to six but I was using a ruler). I have talked to Jareds and a few other manufacturers, and they will mount the correct head for the diamond onto any of their settings, but it is obvious, or at least...it seems to me that their on-hand stock is not really designed to compliment a Marquise cut.

Also, with most of the pre-existing semi-mounts, the center stone can only be fit with a high prong mount, which isn't the look I am going for very much.

I called a local jeweler and asked him what books he could order settings from, and he gave me a list of names to look through, but I am having a hard time finding their fittings and settings catalogs online, since they are intended for retailers.

Here are some (admittedly, very bad) pictures of the stone and accent diamonds

0910111327b.jpg

0910111326a.jpg

0910111325a.jpg

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Casey. How nice to have such a large family stone and that your fiance likes Marquise cut diamonds. Besides being low set, can you give us an idea of the style she would be interested in and what type of metal she would like ... antique, modern, art deco, simple, platinum, gold etc?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats great that you have an heirloom stone and its actually what she likes! Do you have a budget for the setting?
Since the stone is already set, why dont you present it to her the way it is and you can both pick out a setting
together? That would be my choice if I were her. But if not, do you know what she wants besides low-set?

This is my all time favorite marquise setting.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/[/URL]

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like east-west settings for marquise.

marquis.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's one of my favs from Singlestone....

marquise.jpg

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Thank you for such fast and helpful responses!

A few of those are very close already to what I think she is interested in.

I know that she wants a white gold setting. I personally want a palladium alloyed white gold, since I've read that it's stronger and when the rhodium plating starts to thin, I think it will be less visible.

I've read articles on the metals but don't have a lot of experience actually seeing them underneath the plating.

As for what she likes... she wants an intricately fitted wedding band, not just a solitaire with a simple band up against it. So I am looking at bridal sets, some of them that actually loop into one another seem pretty interesting.

She also likes filigree or detailling...mill grain and hand engraving. Something delicate looking.

The problem that I am having is that I can find some Marquise settings that have fitted bands, and I can find hand engraved settings that have fitted bands, but won't fit a marquise stone, especially not one so long.

Another thing is that she has very small fingers and the intricate sets mostly seem too big.

I'm going to read these links and follow the threads for them. Thank you for the information already!

tyty333|1315847629|3015837 said:
Thats great that you have an heirloom stone and its actually what she likes! Do you have a budget for the setting?

Well, my cousin is a jeweler, and actually owes me value equal to another diamond, from another project. I had a pendant made and there were left over stones that he will either replace for me, or give me the value there-of. So considering that the center stone is available through inheritance, and that I am getting a part of the setting already paid for... Whatever more the right setting costs, I will pay for it. most of the settings that I have been interested in have been around 2,000 dollars, unmounted.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I love the setting Matata posted. I think the east to west settings really make the marquise modern.

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
I agree.

I really like the E-W look but this particular diamond is 12mm, and I'm not sure that my fiance-to-be's ring finger is even that wide.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any links to settings with the interwined wedding bands that you can give us? I'm afraid with the length of
that marquise you are going to have a hard time finding a setting where the stone sets low and the wedding band
sits close.

This is a pretty setting for marquise but dont think the wedding band will sit close.
They only had a marquise example in yellow gold.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/sold/settings-with-sidestones/1045/Diamond-Ring-With-Sidestones.html

Here is the white gold version:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/sold/settings-with-sidestones/3208/Diamond-Rings.html

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Here is one that I first saw unmounted at Jareds, and then later found online at JcPenney:

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1902095&DeptID=70737&CatID=81571&CmCatId=

Sometimes I can't get the image to load until I right-click where the picture should be and click "play".

Unfortunately, the links you posted Tyty333 say that the item is no longer available.

Here is the picture of the setting in the Jareds, with a marquise diamond they had handy stuck in the top with gem gel.

Township%2014%20Pineville-20110910-00048.jpg

The channel diamonds and the center stone are the engagement ring. The accent rounds are on the wedding band.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1315850852|3015882 said:
Here's one of my favs from Singlestone....

marquise.jpg

love love love this setting!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Casey, have you thought about going the custom route? It may yield you better options than trying to find a set. Another option is to go with a substantial setting for the diamond and skip the wedding ring. I chose to do that with my e/wedding ring. I know it's not to everyone's taste.

spinney1.jpg

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
I am considering going full custom if I can't find anything I like in the semi mount/ fittings catalogue.

My cousin is a jeweler,and does fully custom pieces. I was looking at existing settings mostly to get the maximum value of the piece on her fingers and not eaten up in design fees or consultations.

That being said I have no idea what the fee range is. I plan on actually going to visit my cousin next week with my ring and I have a big folder full of settings that I've liked, different hand engraving patterns and prong styles, etc etc...

I'm going to dig through all of his books and if I can't find what I am after and what goes with the stone, then I will start to look at his custom work.

I will definitely update this thread after that visit, but I am hoping to get a few more pieces to bring to that visit, as inspiration.

Thanks all,

Casey

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, sorry...here is the one I was trying to post. If you go down to the right bottom part ofthe page you can
see the "Recently Purchased." There is an example of one with a marquise.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-2806.asp

Has she seen the one of the picture you posted or is that just something you found. Um, dont take
this wrong but it looks kind of 1980ish. If she loves it then thats fine! Personally, the style looks
old to me :(sad .

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
No offense taken.

It looks dated to me, as well. However I thought that was mostly due to the guard and the setting.

I am hoping that a new setting and a cleaning will change that.

I am also not opposed to selling it, but because it is dated, I feel like I'll lose so much of it's value.

Do you think the actual cut of the stone is dated vs. modern Marquise diamonds?

And no, she has no idea. She's sent me tons of stuff to look at but I haven't told her anything about what I am looking at.

Her friend is looking at things as they progress though.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
CaseyP,

I can't say for sure, but I think maybe tyty333 might have been saying the ring setting you posted a picture of from Jared/JC Penney might be dated. I am going to have to be honest and tell you that I think it is dated as well.I was married in 1991 and I had a marquis ring in yellow gold with a matching band that fit with the ring and I just had it reset into a bezel set modern right hand ring since I thought the old setting was out of style. That is just my humble opinion though. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

If it were me I would be interested in one of those beautiful antique settings like the the one posted from single stone. It is a classic look and less likely to go out of style. As for the marquise cut - it is a family heirloom and your fiance likes marquise cuts, so you are lucky there. Cuts go in and out of fashion and some may think it is not "in" right now, but I think as long as you get a classic setting and you love the stone you have nothing to worry about. Since your gal's fingers are so tiny and the marquise is so big, I would probably just wear the ring alone and then get a beautiful wedding band to wear alone at times when it wasn't practical to wear the ER.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the marquise shape! I think you have a few options.

1) Take two of the sidestones coming to you, and set it into a three stone type ring. Prong setting. Have a thin PLAIN wedding band made to "fit". Ask your jeweller if you can have a choice of shape of sidestone--not necessarily round (altho it would work).

2) Simple solitare setting. Again plain wedding band made to fit.

3) Bezel setting, set EW or NS. No sidestones. " "

4) Take the sidestones "coming to you" and the credit for the old setting and get your FI a right hand ring, or have a pendant or earring made.

5) Halo the marquise. Plain fitted wedding band.

6) Be sure she wants a yellow metal for her wedding rings before you go custom. Has she tried on white gold, platinum and yelow gold? HOneslty you'd be surprised what people ask for that might differ from what actually looks good on their hands. Of course you can always mix the two colors in the same ring/s..... Also depending on the color/grade the the stone--some metal look better than others.....

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/marquise-setting.44846/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/marquise-setting.44846/[/URL]

Beside Tacori's Grandmother's e-ring posted above, this ring is my most fav. marquies of all time. Custom by Greenlake.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/[/URL]

cheers--Sharon

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Tacori: I read that thread in it's entirety and I really love that setting! It's saved in my folder of settings that I like :)

Moosemom: Oh I understand now. I thought she was saying my Marquise diamond itself was a dated cut, and not just a dated setting that it is currently in.

I like that Singlestone setting and that is very close to what I am looking for.

As well as the one posted by TyTy333.

http://www.shaneco.com/Catalog/ZoomViewer.htm?company=ShaneCo&vip=http://s7d5&sku=41049858_DR_M|41049858_DR_A2|41049858_DR_A1

this was one of her favorites that she showed me online. She doesn't know that she is getting a Marquise, though. Even though she wants one.

http://www.marleneharriscol.com/categories/AntiqueStyleEngagementRings/R2334.html

Here is one that I really like, but I don't know if it can be fit with a Marquise, and if so, how it would look.

Please give me your honest opinion on this setting with a Marquise:

http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/26775

I like the marquise shapes, but I'm not sure if I want a pave look versus something like the James Allen with accent stones. Or the single stone setting.

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
My vote would be for the Singlestone setting posted by Yennyfire...it's fabulous!!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
renogirl|1315879292|3016212 said:
My vote would be for the Singlestone setting posted by Yennyfire...it's fabulous!!!!

I would vote for something like the Singlestone setting (gorgeous!!!!) or TacoriEring's great grandmother's setting...also gorgeous. If you go custom you could definitely ask the designer to make a setting that would work well with a wedding band.

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
I am going to show that singlestone setting to her friend.

She definitely likes vintage jewelry and filigree and such, but usually things that are round, not square.

However everyone seems to agree that it's a very nice setting, so I will definitely look into it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure you could use the singlestone setting as an inspiration and get something similar with rounds and milgrain!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
This is my favorite setting and I think it is classy.

800651.jpg

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
That is also very nice!

I have been looking at some of the 3 stone rings like that,

That is the first one I've seen with trapazoid stones though.

I also like kellfire's bezel set pear side stones:
file.jpg

and this prong set pear:

file.jpg

AND I was looking at Unique settings of NY, and their half-moon sidestone semi mounts:

http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/engagement_rings?ref=74

I was wondering what a half moon sidestone ring would look like with a marquise, or if I should look at something pointer like a pear or trillion?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should also check out settings by www.antiqueengagementrings.com they have lots of vintage style rings. Going with singlestone (while beautiful) their settings can be very expensive (looking at at least 2k if your getting side stones). I was getting quotes for fairly simple settings a few years ago and they were all at the 2k mark and that was well before the price increase on metal/diamonds.

If you can spring for it, I'd go for it. Ari is great to work with and has impeccable taste when it comes to vintage settings. However antiqueengagementrings also is pretty great to work with. Keep in mind if you don't see *just* what your looking for you should shoot him an email. He has lots in his case that he hasn't listed and many that are actually vintage pieces (that he hasn't reproduced or won't) and might have the prefect setting for you.

Good luck and whatever you choose is going to be amazing! :appl: :love:

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

As for the budget thing...I am starting a second job next week that is only a day a week, but it pays about 600 a month that is entirely for getting a setting and having it mounted, etc.

So if the perfect setting is 2,000, that's going to be four months...I'm approaching this more from "right" setting than from a particular budget point.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CaseyP|1315874350|3016147 said:
No offense taken.

It looks dated to me, as well. However I thought that was mostly due to the guard and the setting.

I am hoping that a new setting and a cleaning will change that.

I am also not opposed to selling it, but because it is dated, I feel like I'll lose so much of it's value.

Do you think the actual cut of the stone is dated vs. modern Marquise diamonds?

And no, she has no idea. She's sent me tons of stuff to look at but I haven't told her anything about what I am looking at.

Her friend is looking at things as they progress though.

I was referring to the setting you posted from Jareds (not the marquise stone). The setting looks dated
to me. You said she already loves the stone so thats great!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I also really like the idea of pear side stones...but I might be biased :) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results