clarity

resetting an heirloom Marquise

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's wonderful. Congratulations! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely! I think it looks like the perfect setting. Can't wait to see hand shots.

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
I'll be sure you get them :)

And thank you for all the help!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is spectacular and so special! Wow! Can't wait to see hand shots either!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
So lovely! Absolutely special, I think you've created an heirloom there :loopy:

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
It came together beautifully! I've been watching this thread, thanks for coming back to update us. :kiss:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Yay! It looks fantastic! Great setting choice; I'm sure she'll love it!

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Well, we're engaged now :D

Took a few hand shots last night before our dinner reservations, however my camera isn't worth much. She is going to visit her parents right now, and hopefully will get some better shots.

I asked her to make a thread in the Show Me the Bling forum, which I will link to here :)

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Just beautiful!!! Can't wait for handshots!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I love marquise diamonds and I love your setting. Can't wait for hand shots, either.

JaySG

Rough_Rock
Hey congrats. Your ring looked great, good choice.
I just wanted to share a Marquise ring I saw while shopping which made me drool. I had never seen a marquise that made me at all interested until this one. Sadly I could not afford a stone large enough to attempt this setting. This is from a local jeweler in Columbus, Ohio and they have done a few variations on it
http://www.jackseibert.com/var/m_5/56/561/16178/112020-marquise_diamond_ring.jpg

CaseyP

Rough_Rock

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Now that I've had the ring in-hand, and proposed,

I think it is amazing, and everyone seems to love it...however.

almost instantly, my girlfriend noticed that the stone might be set crooked. we aren't sure if this is intentional...in that the Marquise itself might be flawed, and so they chose to set it tilted to try and minimize the problem (or something?)

That is the working theory that my mother and fiancee have come up with. However I would have expected to be informed of this from the jeweler.

Today at Christmas dinner, they passed it to my sister, and she found it, too. So it's definitely there. MOST people would never, ever notice it unless they were turning it over and over in-hand and inspecting it.

But my fiancee did, and she is the one who is wearing it.

I intend to call LJN in the morning to discuss it with them, see what the options are. Because it is a custom crown head, I highly doubt that a local jeweler could add material properly, and I don't know any local that I would trust to "do it right". Most won't even bother with custom work.

anyways, here is one of their studio pictures of the ring, that shows it quite well. This is a picture of my specific ring and not a stock photo.

Please let me know what you think/advise. Thanks!

Casey's Ring (3).JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately I think you are correct that it is tilted, and they should reset the stone to correct it for you.

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Thank you,

I suspect the same. They got it to me fast to propose by Christmas, and I am thrilled with that.

However I also want it to be right.

Do you all think I am asking for too much at my budget? Or do you think I should send it back?

I'm not sure what the expectation is at this level of custom work...sort of entry-level (pricepoint wise) hand fabrication.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be best to contact the vendor and talk about sending it back and having them fix it, hopefully at no added cost to you.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
No matter the budget, your stone should be level in the setting. Not asking for too much at all.

CaseyP

Rough_Rock
Well, I called Winona, and she said that they would be happy to take it back and fix it to my satisfaction,

However, the reason the prongs are uneven is to set the stone even.

The diamond itself is not symmetrical on those two sides, so if the prongs were dead even, the diamond itself would not be.

She said it was my choice if I wanted it sitting even from the side view, however if I did that, the diamond would be tilted from the top.

I chose to leave it as it is, as the current setting does as much as can be done to minimize the appearance of the dis-symmetry.

I'm happy, again :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results