shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset Fail: Please help me choose a different setting!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I reset my cushion from a solitaire into a James Allen knife-edge pave setting with a decorative basket. It is a beautiful ring. It seems to throw more fire in this setting than the old one. I like it better than my solitaire in many ways, but something is still missing.

I chose this ring because I was looking for something with pave', but I thought I might like something different from the Emerald Cut setting I have (It's just a straight, thin pave' shank). I knew I didn't want anything that would seem bulky. I do like the milgrain and the basket. I thought I would like the knife-edge pave' setting because you see diamonds from any angle, and I wanted plenty of pave on it.

What I didn't realize until I had the ring in hand is that the knife-edge pave only seems bright and lit up from the profile view. The profile view of my ring is gorgeous to me. But, the pave is kind of 'meh' from the face-up view, and sometimes the knife-edge casts a shadow on the bottom row of pave'. I look at my ring face-up all the time, and when I look at the greyish pave', I feel underwhelmed. :(sad

I have a month to return this ring, and I would really like to figure out what my next move will be before I send it back. I'm considering getting another JA setting, and just having them transfer my diamond from one setting to the other. I would like to see if there are any other options to consider, too. Preloved is totally fine with me, as long as my diamond will fit!
Please offer your suggestions and opinions. My budget is about $700 right now. I'm a size 5.5, and can go up to a 6.

_36606.jpg

_36607.jpg

_36608.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I really prefer your original setting! I read your original thread and correct me if I'm wrong, but is your stone an N color? I ask BC if it is, you might notice a major contrast with pave rings. Have you considered just buying a blingy band to wear with your solitaire setting? How did you like it?

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
StephanieLynn|1457314767|4000785 said:
First off, I love your center stone, really pretty and sparkly. I know you're looking for lots of pave and I tend to lean towards more stones than less but I live this setting from Blue Nile, nice details and a little bit of sparkle to accent your center without overpowering it:

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-tapered-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring_52867?elem=title&track=product

Thank you! The link didn't work, but I know which ring you referred to. It is so pretty and in my budget. The problem is that Blue Nile will not sell just the setting, or at least it says that on the listing.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
StephanieLynn|1457316104|4000794 said:

It does! I was thinking three-sided pave' would probably be the cure to my two-sided pave woes. I just wasn't sure if I could find something in my budget--good find. I'm curious if it would fit my stone and if it could be resized to 5.5. I sent the seller an email to ask.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1457318248|4000813 said:
So I really prefer your original setting! I read your original thread and correct me if I'm wrong, but is your stone an N color? I ask BC if it is, you might notice a major contrast with pave rings. Have you considered just buying a blingy band to wear with your solitaire setting? How did you like it?

I'm surprised to hear that you prefer my solitaire over the reset. I'm curious if others feel the same way. I didn't feel satisfied by wearing a diamond band with it. I think my pave bands look really pretty stacked with the solitaire, but it didn't really scratch the itch. Also, I tend to not wear a band with my e-rings most of the time.

I've had this new ring for two days, and I sometimes have noticed the contrast between the pave and the diamond. It hasn't bothered me much so far--I will be interested to see if I feel the same way after wearing it for a week. The pave setting does make the color in my stone more obvious. I think I am still be interested in finding something with pave in it, though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should have read your previous posts, if you have an N color you'd want to make sure that the pave are matched to your stone. I like Nala's idea about adding a band. You could also try searching etsy, there are lots of really pretty vintage pieces on there that might work for you.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
StephanieLynn|1457319916|4000826 said:
I should have read your previous posts, if you have an N color you'd want to make sure that the pave are matched to your stone. I like Nala's idea about adding a band. You could also try searching etsy, there are lots of really pretty vintage pieces on there that might work for you.

I think having contrast between the white pave setting and the N color diamond is ok. Wearing a pave band with the solitaire didn't really do it for me--I still wanted a pave setting.

I have had a small GIA M color Emerald Cut diamond in a white pave setting for several years. I love it and wear it often. I see the tint in the diamond up next to the pave all the time. The contrast with the EC doesn't bother me.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
so sorry you didnt like the reset! I see what you mean, although it is a beautiful setting. Love your stone btw!

If you love the emerald ring, why not do the same band with the cushion? Three sided pave seems so hard to wear. Have you tried one on?

Maybe consider a simple halo with a plain band? That would be lovely with the cushion I think.

I was going back to your earlier thread with the emerald and cant help but think you maybe should consider making a three stone ring to satisfy the need for bling? Not with the emerald but with two smaller cushions? I think that would be lovely! But out of budget, so maybe save up until then. Or perhaps a baguette band?

ok, I see that I am not so very helpful here. I have had such headache re resetting my own cushion, too many ideas. In the end I decided to simply remake my solitaire and not add anything but a better design because that was really all I ever wanted. We'll see if that satisfies me in a month when I get it back.

Chosing a setting is so hard!!
Best of luck!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1457318994|4000818 said:
First off, I love your center stone, really pretty and sparkly. I know you're looking for lots of pave and I tend to lean towards more stones than less but I live this setting from Blue Nile, nice details and a little bit of sparkle to accent your center without overpowering it:
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-tapered-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring_52867?elem=title&track=product
Thank you! The link didn't work, but I know which ring you referred to. It is so pretty and in my budget. The problem is that Blue Nile will not sell just the setting, or at least it says that on the listing.
On their FAQ page, in the section devoted to Diamonds and Diamond Jewelry, Blue Nile says that you can purchase many of their settings without also ordering a center stone -- although settings with integrated heads & Monique Lhuillier settings aren't available as stand-alone purchases & BN won't resize an empty setting for you before shipping it out.
http://www.bluenile.com/contact-us/faq
So that's why you can't put just a setting in the shopping cart, but a BN rep will help make this kind of order happen.

That pretty setting looks as if it's one BN would sell by itself, so I wouldn't hesitate to call them (or do a live chat).

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think about these JA settings?

_1020.png

_1021.png

_1022.png

_1023.png

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1457361462|4000978 said:
daintyG|1457318994|4000818 said:
On their FAQ page, in the section devoted to Diamonds and Diamond Jewelry, Blue Nile says that you can purchase many of their settings without also ordering a center stone -- although settings with integrated heads & Monique Lhuillier settings aren't available as stand-alone purchases & BN won't resize an empty setting for you before shipping it out.
http://www.bluenile.com/contact-us/faq
So that's why you can't put just a setting in the shopping cart, but a BN rep will help make this kind of order happen.

That pretty setting looks as if it's one BN would sell by itself, so I wouldn't hesitate to call them (or do a live chat).

I will! Thank you!!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you! I just might get one that's like my EC ring after all because I know I will like it. A halo may be out of budget and show a little too much contrast even for me.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1457361795|4000980 said:
What do you think about these JA settings?

I like the petite pave cathedral best.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving the JA milgrain setting.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ladies, for your opinions. Please keep them coming.

So an update on Blue Nile settings: I chatted with Blue Nile, and the settings I would be interested can be sold empty. However, they are sold without any prongs, so a jeweler would have to order the head and attach it. Also, they are not sold in half sizes, so I would have to have a size 5 sized up or a size 6 sized down.

An update on the three-sided etsy ring mentioned above: the seller says that the ring can be sized and that my diamond should fit according to her measurements. I'm still a little unsure if it really would, though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shop on Etsy has very good reviews but I couldn't find anything about their return policy. If there is a decent return policy you could buy it, check it out in person and if it doesn't work, return it. You would be out the shipping costs though. Just a thought.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
love the ja with milgrain!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
StephanieLynn|1457372217|4001084 said:
The shop on Etsy has very good reviews but I couldn't find anything about their return policy. If there is a decent return policy you could buy it, check it out in person and if it doesn't work, return it. You would be out the shipping costs though. Just a thought.

It says there is a 5 day return policy.

njblinger

Rough_Rock
Hi, if you like the three-sided pave, go for it! I love my three-sided pave setting, with thin milgrain. It gives me plenty of bling and is very comfortable to wear. My stone is a J, and the pave is F/G.

setting03.png

setting01.png

setting5.jpg

sharonp

Rough_Rock
daintyG|1457305250|4000736 said:
Please offer your suggestions and opinions. My budget is about $700 right now. I'm a size 5.5, and can go up to a 6.

Do you really expect a quality Pave Band for $700? you are dreaming!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
sharonp|1457388894|4001201 said:
daintyG|1457305250|4000736 said:

Do you really expect a quality Pave Band for $700? you are dreaming!

Depends on what you mean by quality. I don't expect something comparable to Leon Mege or Stephen Kirsch quality with a $700 budget. I think that some vendors like BN and JA offer some pretty pave' settings within that range, though. Sometimes you can find a pretty pre-loved ring within that range. That's all I'm saying. I actually think that the JA setting I originally got is really nice, but it just didn't light up the way I wanted to with the pave' at an angle.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
So, here's what I'm considering at this point, and I am not really decided on anything at all.

James Allen settings:
--Cathedral pave setting: This seems like the safest choice to me. I know I will like it, and it's simple. ~1.8 mm
--Milgrain pave setting: This is a beauty! It seems wider than the others, but the setting specs say it's 2.1 mm. ~$200 over budget, so I'm not sure yet if I can swing it.
--Thin Frech-Cut Pave setting: Seems simple and pretty, but I wonder if those gaps are very noticeable in person. 1.6-1.7 mm

--Etsy three-sided pave' setting: It looks really sparkly, though it has no milgrain. It has a 5 day return policy and the vendor will resize it for free. Does this look like it would be pretty IRL? Sometimes those bright close up photos make things seem bigger.

_1025.png

_36617.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed in your post about all your choices, the milgrain setting is the one you seem most in love with or excited about. I realize it's beyond your budget so would it be an option to wait and save up that extra and then buy the one you are really swooning over?

I'm not trying to talk you into one over another, I just think if you love your stone you should get a setting you live equally as much.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't comment yesterday because I didn't want to rain on your parade, but I HUGELY prefer your first (solitaire) setting. Of course, I am totally biased. I went from a platinum pave band (with an L center stone) to a platinum solitaire with no melee, to a rose gold solitaire that makes my heart go pitter patter. In my opinion, white melee doesn't flatter warm diamonds.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
StephanieLynn|1457392326|4001237 said:
I noticed in your post about all your choices, the milgrain setting is the one you seem most in love with or excited about. I realize it's beyond your budget so would it be an option to wait and save up that extra and then buy the one you are really swooning over?

I'm not trying to talk you into one over another, I just think if you love your stone you should get a setting you live equally as much.

I could do that. If I'm going to go with another JA setting, it would be easiest to swap the diamond out whenever I return the current setting. However, it is totally possible to have it sent back and wait.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline|1457392502|4001238 said:
I didn't comment yesterday because I didn't want to rain on your parade, but I HUGELY prefer your first (solitaire) setting. Of course, I am totally biased. I went from a platinum pave band (with an L center stone) to a platinum solitaire with no melee, to a rose gold solitaire that makes my heart go pitter patter. In my opinion, white melee doesn't flatter warm diamonds.

Thank you, Tourmaline. I don't think you're raining on my parade at all. I don't mind anyone saying they don't think pave' will look right with this--or even saying my budget isn't big enough--as long as it is said kindly.
You and nala both say that you prefer the solitaire. I do not at all feel deflated by that. My reaction is one of surprise because I was ready to leave my solitaire behind. I just got bored with it. Even though my current setting isn't everything I hope for, I like it much better and would rather keep it than the soli.
I understand that many don't care for the contrast, and that's okay. But I don't mind it, especially compared to how much I enjoy pave'.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG said:
So, here's what I'm considering at this point, and I am not really decided on anything at all.
James Allen settings:
--Cathedral pave setting: This seems like the safest choice to me. I know I will like it, and it's simple. ~1.8 mm
--Milgrain pave setting: This is a beauty! It seems wider than the others, but the setting specs say it's 2.1 mm. ~$200 over budget, so I'm not sure yet if I can swing it.
--Thin Frech-Cut Pave setting: Seems simple and pretty, but I wonder if those gaps are very noticeable in person. 1.6-1.7 mm

--Etsy three-sided pave' setting: It looks really sparkly, though it has no milgrain. It has a 5 day return policy and the vendor will resize it for free. Does this look like it would be pretty IRL? Sometimes those bright close up photos make things seem bigger.
Don't think the 3-sided pavé ring that's listed by Galaxy Gems is returnable if you have them size it before sending it to you. So my suggestion would be to order the ring, unsized, so you can see it in person & decide if it's a keeper. You might not be happy with the quality of the melée or a Euro shank (don't know if you've previously owned a ring with a Euro shank).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results