shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset Fail: Please help me choose a different setting!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1457394726|4001257 said:
daintyG said:
So, here's what I'm considering at this point, and I am not really decided on anything at all.
James Allen settings:
--Cathedral pave setting: This seems like the safest choice to me. I know I will like it, and it's simple. ~1.8 mm
--Milgrain pave setting: This is a beauty! It seems wider than the others, but the setting specs say it's 2.1 mm. ~$200 over budget, so I'm not sure yet if I can swing it.
--Thin Frech-Cut Pave setting: Seems simple and pretty, but I wonder if those gaps are very noticeable in person. 1.6-1.7 mm

--Etsy three-sided pave' setting: It looks really sparkly, though it has no milgrain. It has a 5 day return policy and the vendor will resize it for free. Does this look like it would be pretty IRL? Sometimes those bright close up photos make things seem bigger.
Don't think the 3-sided pavé ring that's listed by Galaxy Gems is returnable if you have them size it before sending it to you. So my suggestion would be to order the ring, unsized, so you can see it in person & decide if it's a keeper. You might not be happy with the quality of the melée or a Euro shank (don't know if you've previously owned a ring with a Euro shank).

Very helpful. Thank you.
I haven't had a euro shank ring before.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
DH doesn't care if I stretch the budget to get the Milgrain setting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1457399170|4001281 said:
DG doesn't care if I stretch the budget to get the Milgrain setting.

:dance:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I apologize for being wishywashy, but I had mainly looked at the computer generated image of the milgrain JA ring until earlier tonight. After seeing the actual pictures, I'm not liking it as much. I will show a comparison.

I had seen the actual photos of the cathedral pave and thin French cut pave settings before. They look pretty. I see that the French cut is most popular by far (by looking at customer posts on FB and IG), but I think I would like the cathedral one more.

_1026.png

_1027.png

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean re the milgrain...

re what is most popular: remember that what you like is the most important thing. At this point I think maybe you should (re)visit a jeweler and try similair settings to see what looks best on your hand.

Also, please dont make a hasty decision to simply be done with it. Maybe it's better to return your current setting and not feel pressured to choose one from JA if you're not absolutely sure. Perhaps you simply need to wait and up your budget to get a nice milgrain setting *if* this is what you want. Have you tried milgrain settings on? They have a very soft and lovely look.

I am not an expert so cant really say anything about the other settings. The cathedral pleases my eyes the most of the two, but I have seen rings on the hand without cathedral that have made the stone really pop.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
also, have you contacted JA about the milgrain? Perhaps they can make it better. :wavey:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you maybe go to a local jeweler to look at some settings? That way you can see them with your stone in person, try them on and see what you like. That way if you know you like a certain style like bead set diamonds on the sides you can look for that online so you get the style you love at a good price.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
As far as popularity goes, I'm not saying I want to choose the most popular ring so that more people will like my ring. Instead, I mean that the fact that hardly any customers have purchased the milgrain setting makes me wonder the reason why not--is there something wrong with it that I also won't like IRL?

I asked JA if they had any customer hand shot of the milgrain ring and they said no. I mentioned something about the quality of the "recently purchased" rings, and the rep didn't really say anything except that the first image of the ring is computer generated. I don't want to take a chance on this one.

About my budget: When I originally purchased the JA setting, I had about $1500 to spend, but I just didn't want to spend all of it on the setting. I know that most PSers wouldn't mind doing that, but I just couldn't. I would spend more than my budget if I were really confident about what I'm getting.

I can try on settings at a local jeweler sometime this month, and I have done it before. Usually what happens is that the more ornate things don't look right on my hand and I seem to like the rings that look like the french cut pave' or cathedral pave'. About a month ago I tried on lots of rings and a Gabriel & Co. setting that looked very similar to the JA cathedral pave' was the one I liked most.

Thanks to all who have helped so far. I appreciate it. :wavey:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry! I think I misunderstood your meaning there. :wavey:
I have no advice or answer though, no experience with JA. Sorry I cant say anything helpful.
Best of luck! I hope you will love your new setting whatever you decide.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks a bunch! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results