Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset 3ct earring studs to avoid drooping?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
570
Hi!

My 3ct diamond earring studs have always drooped since I got them, so I am considering a reset. They are currently in a 3 prong martini setting, but the basket seems pretty deep relative to the diamond. I have La Pousette backs and I really like the security of them. As a cheap solution, I have been using a little plastic disc to help balance them (worn between the back of my ear and the earring back), which does work, but the discs are easy to loose and annoying to put on. My questions:

Should I reset them into a 4 prong low-set basket instead of a 3 prong martini? Do I need to go custom?
Anyone in NYC that could do this? Maybe BE? We will be visiting there this month, so I could drop them off and only pay shipping one-way.

Thanks!
img_4159.jpg
 

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
13,359
I've got similar sized studs also in 3 prong martini settings. My efforts to take a pic for you failed miserably, but my stones do sit lower than yours. The only way I found to stop the drooping however is with jumbo backs because the ones like yours didn't work for me. Before you go through the hassle of resetting can you just get a pair of jumbo backs and try them to see?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,611
I would definitely reset into low baskets. Those are set high and I would not like the martini base possibly stretching my ear holes. After you reset, if they still droop, there are little things you can use to help that that stick on the back of the ear. But I would reset first. Maybe check with ID Jewelry but specify LOW set baskets.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,377

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,611
PintoBean|1462482936|4027816 said:
If you are considering a reset by IDJ, one setting style I'd like to suggest is the one Queenie60 recently got - where the setting looks like Vatche crowns
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-diamond-studs-from-idj.221690/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-diamond-studs-from-idj.221690/[/URL]
I really like those, but honestly, without a flat base, those are going to droop, too, with larger stones. A couple of people had WF do custom crown settings, but they had a flat base. Pricey, though.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,377
Oh tweeter, DS, :nono:

This thread has got me thinking that I need to save up for bigger studs, and that I need to aim for the "droop", because THAT's when my diamonds will be big enough (for now) :lol: the droop is like a badge of honor! :dance:

The droop could be dependent on how thick your lobe is, where your piercing is placed, and the angle of your piercings. Maybe your posts need to be bent a certain way, maybe not attached smack dab in the center of the basket head.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when I went to IDJ and tried on inside out hoops, I looked more like sinbad the sailor than JLo being Jenny from the block. Yekutiel immediately said it was the way I was pierced - perpendicular to the lobe instead of parallel to the sides of my face. It's good to go see IDJ in person when you are on NYC because of things like this...
 

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
570
Thanks Dee*Jay, Diamondseeker and Pintobean!

Diamondseeker - I saw Donna's custom WF 6-prong crown setting. When you say pricey, any idea on the range I would be looking at? Could I get the 4 prong basket setting you got for your earrings or do they just do that for their own stones? Also, what kind of backs did you get? I couldn't find any info in your SMTB thread. I really like my La Pousette backs but maybe I need jumbo backs? Sorry to onslaught you with more questions!! :D

Dee*Jay - Thanks for the idea! Unfortunately, I did try that already and the backs could barely come off. I think because of the indent in the posts for the la pousette backs??

PintoBean - You are funny!!! My guess is that you end up getting big earring studs the next time you are at IDJ!!!! :naughty: Thanks for the recommendation. I do think I need baskets, but will definitely keep IDJ in mind. Silly question but how do you pronounce Yekutiel and can I just stop by there during regular business hours?
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,521
diamondseeker2006|1462485470|4027833 said:
PintoBean|1462482936|4027816 said:
If you are considering a reset by IDJ, one setting style I'd like to suggest is the one Queenie60 recently got - where the setting looks like Vatche crowns
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-diamond-studs-from-idj.221690/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-diamond-studs-from-idj.221690/[/URL]
I really like those, but honestly, without a flat base, those are going to droop, too, with larger stones. A couple of people had WF do custom crown settings, but they had a flat base. Pricey, though.
Ditto DS - a flat base is probably the closest thing to a surefire way to prevent earring droop!

My old studs (2.5ctw) and my new studs (5.4ctw) both have flat bases and I use jumbo friction backs, and don't have problems with drooping. I hate pushing backs on tightly so the larger surface area of the jumbo backs is anti-droop critical :bigsmile:
 

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
570
Thanks Yssie!! I have to be careful with jumbo backs because my earlobes are kind of on the smaller side, but I had a pair once that worked. Any recommendations on where to get new settings? I was quoted something like $850 locally at Jared's and while I am ok with that, I doubt I would be getting super low basket settings and who knows on the quality. I am guessing I could spend that on a PS recommended vendor and get something better?
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,377
Yes, you can absolutely stop in at IDJ during regular business hours. Their hours are posted on their website. If you go earlier in the day, they can sometimes reset within the day. Their claw prongs are awesome if you like claw prongs.
Yekutiel is pronounced - yeh - COO - tea - el, emphasis on the "coo" :lol: Call ahead to get an idea of the timeline. IT would be awesome if you ended up going with IDJ and they could get your diamonds reset while you are in NYC so that you could wear them during your trip!
 

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
570
Thanks a ton PintoBean! Does Yekutiel have an email address or best to communicate via phone? I probably need to do some pre-work before our trip if I am going to get this accomplished.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,377
The [email protected] e-mail and the phone number posted on google and their website both reach him. They are a family run business, so it doesn't take much for the information to reach Yekutiel. :lol:
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,225
WF will re-set diamonds that have some sort of certificate. I don't think they'll set uncertified outside stones. That said, their 4-prong basket design tapers a bit towards the bottom, so it might not be what you'd want to combat drooping: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/4-prong-basket-diamond-earrings-1353.htm.
 

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
570
Thanks VRBeauty! My earrings are GIA certed so that is good to know on WF. I agree that the one's you linked might not solve the problem. If I am going to make the investment to reset them, I definitely want it to solve the problem!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,611
I had WF special order low platinum baskets for mine, but they are still expensive (like over $800 and possibly more for larger stones, designer brand). I think I priced the crown setting in platinum at some point and they were over $1000 custom. White gold will cost less but I don't know how much less.

As to backs, I use a regular butterfly back that is med-large but not jumbo. The jumbo ones are really huge (but my studs are only 1.15 cts each, so I don't have too much of a problem)! Some people do use a clear plastic disc and then the butterfly back which accomplishes the same thing but lighter on the ear.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,611
PintoBean|1462504914|4027929 said:
Yes, you can absolutely stop in at IDJ during regular business hours. Their hours are posted on their website. If you go earlier in the day, they can sometimes reset within the day. Their claw prongs are awesome if you like claw prongs.
Yekutiel is pronounced - yeh - COO - tea - el, emphasis on the "coo" :lol: Call ahead to get an idea of the timeline. IT would be awesome if you ended up going with IDJ and they could get your diamonds reset while you are in NYC so that you could wear them during your trip!
I cannot tell you how many times I have wondered how to pronounce his name, so thank you! I would have not been able to call and ask for him before now! :lol: I am good with English phonetics, but that's as far as it goes!
 

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
1,903
Tweeter, I just saw this thread & thought I should chime in.

I bought a pair of 2.3 ctw ACA's from WF in Jan of 2015--I had them initially set in the martini settings. But they drooped!
My older 2 ctw studs were in basket settings, & the newer martini settings definitely drooped.

I ended up getting the ACA's reset into the setting DS recommended--a low basket setting with a flat bottom & they are much better. WF sourced the setting. The setting is a Sasha Primek setting. The basket setting sat much flatter on my ear, rather than looking at the floor. :) I use a La Pousette back.

Here is a photo of the SP basket setting, check it out.

sp_basket_settings-diamond-earrings-with-la-pousette-backs-by-whiteflash_40884_18477_f.jpg
 

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
570
Thanks Sarah and Diamondseeker!! The information is very helpful. I really would like the la pousette backs, so it is good to see that they can work without droop!! I think I might call IDJ and see what options they have and the price point. It sounds like I would be looking at around $1K going with the Sasha Primek and would have to pay for shipping both ways. It is definitely a good option though.

I saw that Baby Monster used IDJ for her 2.62ct studs and got Chrysmela backs. Does anyone have any experience with these backs? It sounds like they are similar in concept to la pousette but they don't require the "notch" in the post. That could leave my options more open if still need jumbo backs?
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
sarahb|1462590634|4028404 said:
Tweeter, I just saw this thread & thought I should chime in.

I bought a pair of 2.3 ctw ACA's from WF in Jan of 2015--I had them initially set in the martini settings. But they drooped!
My older 2 ctw studs were in basket settings, & the newer martini settings definitely drooped.

I ended up getting the ACA's reset into the setting DS recommended--a low basket setting with a flat bottom & they are much better. WF sourced the setting. The setting is a Sasha Primek setting. The basket setting sat much flatter on my ear, rather than looking at the floor. :) I use a La Pousette back.

Here is a photo of the SP basket setting, check it out.
I love those! If you don't mind me asking, what was the price range for the SP settings, as well as the LP backs? Thanks!
 

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
1,903
Hi msop04--the SP Plat setting was $1000, & the plat la pousse earring backs (as spelled on my WF order confirmation) were $50 a piece, I purchased 2 pairs for $200. WF was very good to me re shipping back & forth...for the second time--on this particular transaction. WF is an amazing company IMHO. The earrings work great. My older pair (2 ctw) are also in a basket setting, and they also sit flat on my ear. So I don't think its the Sasha Primek voodoo as much as it is the basket setting vs the martini setting. You can get any basket setting made by anyone as long as it sets the stones low vs a higher setting. Just my two cents.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
sarahb said:
Hi msop04--the SP Plat setting was $1000, & the plat la pousse earring backs (as spelled on my WF order confirmation) were $50 a piece, I purchased 2 pairs for $200. WF was very good to me re shipping back & forth...for the second time--on this particular transaction. WF is an amazing company IMHO. The earrings work great. My older pair (2 ctw) are also in a basket setting, and they also sit flat on my ear. So I don't think its the Sasha Primek voodoo as much as it is the basket setting vs the martini setting. You can get any basket setting made by anyone as long as it sets the stones low vs a higher setting. Just my two cents.
Great -- thanks for the info!! [emoji1360]
 

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
1,903
No tweeter, I did not. Those were the backs that I received with my first pair I received pre-PS. I just never considered anything else as they were exactly what I wanted, & my main goal was security. They fit the bill!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top